Crafting Changes Coming in December (6.0.2)

EricMusco

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were the developer tasked with sorting out the 6.0 crafting, would you want to post on these forums? Also the post a little bit above sums it up.

Slight improvement. 6.0.2

Slight improvement. 6.0.x

Slight improvement. 6.0.x

I have no idea why BioWare put themselves through this each and every time. All it does is breed resentment at the changes they make, when they could just listen to the feedback originally gleaned from the PTS and actually act on that feedback. Now they have to claw it back to where it becomes "acceptable change" and lose goodwill in the process.

This is why I don't do the PTS.

I always did PTS in the past, but I decided to not partake this time just because my time is too valuable right now and I KNEW it would be the same song and dance.

BW pretend to have open lines for feedback, however they have hidden agendas regarding what they actually will do and not do. They don’t express this though openly to their player base.

For instance, hundreds of posts were created about the awfulness of 6.0 crafting however NONE of them got any acknowledgement by community management or anyone for that matter. Instead, feedback was “accepted” for other features like gearing tacticals, gear sets, all the things THEY cared about. Crafting was deliberately glossed over all the way until it got gutted and updated with 6.0, leaving it in an unsurprising broken mess. Even then NO acknowledgment until WEEKS after it had been added to the game, despite it being completely broken.

The worst feature of this game is their lack of transparency and inconsistency when it comes to communication. But we know this, anyone that’s been here longer than a year learns this about SWTOR and the weakest link in their admin, that being their community management sector. Whether it’s apathy or just plain incompetency, fact of the matter is this lack of communication has bred tons of resentment from players sick of being ignored and or even lied to.

Why does this matter? Well, people don’t forget. Any future games by BW will carry this stigma with them, and if one main thought of BW is they have awful communication, lie, or can’t be transparent many people will skip the game and choose another that doesn’t carry this kind of negativity.

SWTOR is maintaining out of lack of options on the MMO market, not because it’s well ran and a stellar MMO. If it was not Star Wars, many would never put up with the shenanigans and mismanagement of this game.

It’s like during prohibition, people that wanted a drink had to lower their expectations and accept inferior quality drinks because there was nothing else available, and that’s how this game is right now.

It’s just by pure luck and timing that there’s no other Star Wars MMO, in fact I’d go farther and say there’s no decent MMO on the market right now, so even for non-Star Wars fanatics this game has gained patrons just looking for a social MMO-styled game.

There is little wrong with crafting in 6.0. I assume there are folks that want to spend 18 hours a day running flashpoints to get to 306 quickest and then also run a crafting toon that runs a few missions and gets all the schems and embers. That makes as much sense as crafters who craft 18 hours a day asking that flashpoints allow them to zoon to 306 in 5 runs. If there is any problem it is that the time spent to achieve a goal in crafting vastly exceed achieving a similar goal by running flashpoints. For example, achieving 306 gear by flashpoint grind takes a few days. Trying to craft 306 gear takes months.

There is little wrong with crafting in 6.0. I assume there are folks that want to spend 18 hours a day running flashpoints to get to 306 quickest and then also run a crafting toon that runs a few missions and gets all the schems and embers. That makes as much sense as crafters who craft 18 hours a day asking that flashpoints allow them to zoon to 306 in 5 runs. If there is any problem it is that the time spent to achieve a goal in crafting vastly exceed achieving a similar goal by running flashpoints. For example, achieving 306 gear by flashpoint grind takes a few days. Trying to craft 306 gear takes months.

No that is not the problem at all....

I used to craft 1-3x batches per day across 6 characters prior to Onslaught... I know very well what cost, efficiencies, and volume of output look like for averages. Onslaught isn't even the barest fraction of that.

while the worst part of the changes are tied to Materials frequency and availability (caused by the tiered mess they slapped on), those are not even the only problems. they've repeated the pre-commnand mistake of overvaluing individual item modifications, and static gear pieces (making them essentially garbage clutter), and undervaluing augments, and reusables (which NEVER should have come back as they are), and never mind the stupid crafting tax, expanded failure rates, and obscenely low RNG reverse engineering rates.

The "icing on the cake" for me was that they want to promote harvesting as a viable replacement for running missions, as if players can't do simple addition. even for me running a pure harvest toon, I can clear out an area, take a break and come back and do it again as they respawn.... during off hours. During active hours? hah, forget it, whoever got there first can camp them and gather 95% of it before anyone else can touch it. and increasing the yields or spawn frequency doesn't help, it just encourages the gold farmers, which I'm sure we can all agree is NOT a good thing.

My two cents,

I think you need to fall back as it use to be, when green for green for the green mats for the low end crafting. When you get to prototype, then you add in the blue item as well as the green mats. For artifact grade, you add in the purple mats. Keep in mind that we only get maybe 5 a week per legacy.

For other's it's hard enough to get our personnel conquest and just get 2 for that week. So I think it should cost 2 purple mats for artifact grade crafted items. Then the legendary you add in the ember just one, So what it cost is so many green mats, blue mats, purple mats, and an ember. Maybe a quest only item.

Crafting green items shouldn't cost any blue mats at all.

So item rating 268-274 only green mats.

Item rating 276-284 green and blue mats.

Item rating 286-298 green blue and purple mats.

Item rating 300-306 green blue purple and yellow.

Augments: Not too sure about them didn't get to test it as devs not having the test server up for testing.

Looking at getting credits back? Well for crafting and selling when a lot of people are just getting their gear from quests flash points operations etc... The crafted gear should be as slight bit better so people would buy crafted items versus quest items. Then PvP quest item should be the best. Should have it where we can get the schematics to craft PvP gear from the PvP vender. I'm not sure what you all trying to push here for coins or credits up to Devs to decide and how to make things fair.

This is also how some kids learn about cost and income. Earn your funding and also support the economy and community. Through teamwork as a guild group Ops group or even faction. It always take two to tango or to play football or any sport you have to have an opposing team. Here it is teams/faction Wit the Star Wars saga. We all know the game environment effects the players in the environment. Same goes in real life. Instead, it effects our personnel life condition and then it effects our environment and those around us.

Again, my two cents.

My two cents,

Augments: Not too sure about them didn't get to test it as devs not having the test server up for testing.

Looking at getting credits back? Well for crafting and selling when a lot of people are just getting their gear from quests flash points operations etc... The crafted gear should be as slight bit better so people would buy crafted items versus quest items. Then PvP quest item should be the best. Should have it where we can get the schematics to craft PvP gear from the PvP vender. I'm not sure what you all trying to push here for coins or credits up to Devs to decide and how to make things fair.

Again, my two cents.

They don't need to make any changes in this regard at all . Gearing from FP and other game activities is perfect as it is.

Why would they change it so that I would need to buy your overpriced junk from GTN ? NO thank you... We have enough inflation as it is and absurd GTN prices. :mad:

SWTOR is maintaining out of lack of options on the MMO market, not because it’s well ran and a stellar MMO. If it was not Star Wars, many would never put up with the shenanigans and mismanagement of this game. .

^ This.

If this game didn't carry the Star Wars badge the entire game management and development team would be looking for new jobs.

The game has always relied on the "But it's Star Wars" effect to gloss over some of the glaring faults. Problem is that effect has now become the default stance of the game developers.

Unfortunately it's now a case "we can put out any old $h!* and it won't matter because it's Star Wars, and they'll eat it up anyway". The evidence for this is the decidedly Not-Star-Wars story arc of KotFE/ET, and the appalling lack of quality to just about everything since then.

The cherry on the cake of the evidence is the 6.0 Crafting system - arguably the worst sub-system of any major MMORPG ever.

All The Best

Crafting is an inconvenience that I put up with in order to get stuff that we want to gear my characters. I do not craft to have fun, and don't want to spend 18 hours a day doing it. That's why I think crafting is broken.

They don't need to make any changes in this regard at all . Gearing from FP and other game activities is perfect as it is.

Why would they change it so that I would need to buy your overpriced junk from GTN ? NO thank you... We have enough inflation as it is and absurd GTN prices. :mad:

Crafting costs; for the vender items cost credits along with the mats in game. Inflation of outrages prices for the end game quality items on GTN. How we deal with this issue in real life? Say contract with say workers at a port. Paying them so much and the contract is bought. The next year do to the cost of living and those tiring to better their quality of life want more money/credits. This would effect many people in the environment and the community as well as other companies in the same environment. So they just add in the price of the community inflation rate or just a little bit less then that rate. Some say you have to give to receive. Others say you have to make sacrifices to get what you want. OR, others say you have to go earn it. Drives in life or in-game. Learning lessons in a better way. Humility, is a good teacher. It isn't always the best way for people to learn. People learn in many different ways.

How would a person in charge set prices that is fair? Cost of materials, pay for employee's and a little profit. Simple but oooh how is goes into depths of each. The Devs looking at the data to see how things are going from their end and our end is posting our comments about it..

Looking at why they change from old system that was working fine. Hey everyone the crafting is working fine so lets fix it!!! change it so it's broken!!! So now it's broken!! Team good looking out !!! Sarcastic!!

Some say, let it be. It will work itself out. People are judged by what they do, not what they don't do. Bring balance to the Force.

Have they said when they going to post more details about the crafting and other changes coming in 6.02?

Nope, and I don't expect any more than some basic information in the patch notes (though more would certainly be appreciated).

Maybe we'll get some drive by comments of the 'we are listening, working on it, more to come later' variety.

But I don't expect to see a detailed post explaining exactly what changed, or any details such as the new effective success / failure rates of missions, effective crit rates, intended effects of crafting amplifiers, etc.

Not to say I wouldn't be happy if my expectations were exceeded, just based on what I've seen in the past and how little communication we've seen since 6.0, I am keeping my expectations very low.

Edited by DawnAskham

But I don't expect to see a detailed post explaining exactly what changed, or any details such as the new effective success/failure rates of missions, effective crit rates, intended effects of crafting amplifiers, etc.

See that is exactly what I was hoping to see them post. I guess your right and I should temper my expectations. Thanks for the reply

The "icing on the cake" for me was that they want to promote harvesting as a viable replacement for running missions, as if players can't do simple addition. even for me running a pure harvest toon, I can clear out an area, take a break and come back and do it again as they respawn.... during off hours. During active hours? hah, forget it, whoever got there first can camp them and gather 95% of it before anyone else can touch it. and increasing the yields or spawn frequency doesn't help, it just encourages the gold farmers, which I'm sure we can all agree is NOT a good thing.

I came across a "player" who had clearly automated gathering the two Bio nodes on Mek-sha the other day, in the Red Zone. I decided to video it, upload it and send the link to Eric. Whether it gets acted upon is entirely down to him.

However with this said, the solution really does look simple from a players perspective, don't have nodes respawn in the same location every single time. If nodes had 2-3 "alternate" spawn points on a map in close vicinity to each other you could remove the bot issue without impacting those who work out a route to gather materials for crafting. You could also include a variable timer for respawn on those nodes to lessen the impact of one single person just hoovering up all of those nodes.

Otherwise it's pointless BioWare stating they want players to get materials by gathering, they need to do the legwork to make that a viable option. Especially on planets like Tatooine where nodes are pretty sparse. I can only think of a few planets that have good quantities of nodes depending on what you are gathering. As for Grade 7 materials? That's another truly lacklustre availability of gathering nodes on decent respawns.

BioWare really need to fix their mess before saying they want players to get materials by gathering, it just shows a complete lack of understanding and contempt of their player base to even make that assertion considering the current implementation.

Have they said when they going to post more details about the crafting and other changes coming in 6.02?

The Life Day event and 6.0.2 is supposed to launch on the same day: December 17th (from what I can tell). So I hope to see the patch notes by Friday after next.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Hey all,

We have been reading your feedback since Onslaught launched (and of course from PTS beforehand) on your feelings on the current state of crafting. We agree with your feedback that it isn’t where we want it to be either. There are quite a few changes planned for 6.0.2 in December and we want to give you a preview of those changes today. As 6.0.2 will not have its own PTS, please use this thread to share your feedback on the changes.

• The materials required for “material combination” schematics was too high. We are making the following changes:
    • Premium and Prototype material requirements have been reduced to 6 each (down from 10).
    • Artifact material requirements have been reduced to 12 each (down from 15).
    • The requirements to convert Premium combination materials to Prototype has been reduced to 2 (down from 3).

[*]Although we want to incentivize harvesting over missions for gathering skills, mission inflow was a little too low:

• Increase overall inflow of Premium quality materials from Missions.
    • Increase material rewards from Wealthy Yield Missions.
    • Reduce the overall failure rate of “grey” quality Missions.

[*]Getting crafting schematics when deconstructing gear was too hard with too low of a chance:

• Broadly increased the chance to earn crafting schematics from deconstructing.
    • Sort of related, we are making a pass to ensure that deconstruction is giving the correct professions materials. Raise any specifics you have where this isn’t the case.

[*]Too high of a requirement for Matrixes when crafting:

• The Matrix material requirement has been removed from all schematics below Artifact quality.
    • We are looking closely at data around inflow of Legendary Ember requirements. We may increase requirements here but this is still being investigated.

[*]The materials that you are earning are not coming in at the correct ratio of Premium : Prototype : Artifact to correlate with expenditure:

• Rebalancing material inflow to match a 7:2:1 ratio that many of you have raised.

These are all currently planned changes for 6.0.2 so please let us know your thoughts. As always, we will continue to monitor crafting data and your feedback post-6.0.2 and make further changes as needed! Thanks everyone.

-eric

It’s December 4th. Do you have an update or schedule for when 6.0.2 is going to be released and is it going to include game bug fixes and adjustments to the loot tables or Nerfs / buffs to any gear or class abilities this time?

Edited by TrixxieTriss

How do you know it’s supposed to launch that date? I’ve not seen anything that says that.

They roll out 6.0.2 together with Life Day.

Patch 6.0.2 will be our last update for 2019 and we’ll target its availability mid-December. It’ll have additional bug fixes along with the following:

• Life Day returns and has new items for you to enjoy.
  • It’s our 8th year anniversary, so the vendor will have some new items.
  • We’re adding new missions on Mek-Sha, including new heroics.
  • You’ll be able to recruit Tharan for your Consular and as he says, “It’s Tharan, not spelled the dumb way”.
  • Ranked Season 12 for our PvP players begins and winners from last season will get their well-deserved rewards.
  • Crafting changes – it begins! Yes, we’re taking a hard look at crafting and will make some adjustments starting with this patch.

Keith

The Life Day event and 6.0.2 is supposed to launch on the same day: December 17th (from what I can tell). So I hope to see the patch notes by Friday after next.

Normally they post the patch notes the monday before patch day so I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Edited by Tsillah

Can you please just get rid of the assembly components? Keep the same gear total required, whatever, but it's an extra step that is just a pain to deal with. Heck increase the time needed to craft things too if you want to slow down crafting, but having to log onto a crafting toon every 5 minutes if I want to get enough assembly components is just ridiculous.

I agree. What's the point? Why introduce another tier of items to craft? Is it just to make it harder? I really don't understand the though behind this extra tier, so maybe a dev could explain it, please?