Newly 50, what's next?

Teldrax

First off, yes I am slow, this is my first 50 and I have been around since launch. I just suffer from alt-itis and enjoy the multiple stories.

My question is rather simple. What's next now that I am 50?

Is there a decent guide out there for life at 50?

Is it just black hole daily farming, hard core flashpoints / missions?

Or is there more that I am obviously missing?

Where does one get Columi and Rakata commendations for the armor?

I am currently not in a guild, so I don't have anyone in-game to ask these random questions to, so I thought I would turn to the community.

Thanks in advance.

My question is rather simple. What's next now that I am 50?

Pretty much anything you want to do. Depending on your server (talking population here) you can begin doing PvP. Getting the PvP recruit gear is free, and generally a really good jump in gear from what you were wearing at 49. with the new group finder, you shouldn't have problems finding groups for Ops, and you should explore those. I would recommend picking up at least the recruit gear before doing those though as they can be pretty intense for a new 50 if you're going pure PUG. I'd suggest just enjoying the game, there is a TON to do, BH dailies and belsavis dailies are just free money/gear so take advantage of those when you can.

Where does one get Columi and Rakata commendations for the armor?

you get these from doing the Ops - such as EV, KP etc. You get them out of chests throughout the runs, as well as for end rewards for the daily and weekly missions that correspond to them. Be sure to pick those up at the mission terminal in your Supplies area of the fleet.

I am currently not in a guild, so I don't have anyone in-game to ask these random questions to

You shouldn't have issues being able to get PUG for different Ops. What server are you playing on? I"m sure you can find a few groups while you do PUG Ops that will give you the walk through. The advice I always give is don't be embarrassed to say you have not done a run before - tell your group up front so they know, and most will make sure to walk you through each part, and ensure you know what to do.

I always suggest above all to do PvP - the armour you get from doing it, along with the skills you gain from playing it and getting better at it will only help you in Ops. The Battlemaster gear is comparable to Columi gear IMO, so that is a way to get gear as well, if you have issues getting PUG for ops. The biggest difference between Columi and BM gear IMO is the endurance and HP you get from the set; but both have comparable stats for the most part and I wouldn't be upset if someone came into an Ops party of mine with full BM and they had not done Ops before so didn't have columi yet.

as someone with altitis myself, and two 50's ( three in a day or so) - and more importantly good guilds on both sides- it is still more or less gearing and getting ready for whatever comes....

However Legacy wise you have the ability to generate the sort of funds to better cover the costs of perks and what not per character

( somone on our server was throwing a major hissy because they thought character perks were legacy wide and not per character....you know despite the " character" perks, and the message when you try to buy them.

I ran dailies and a few things I missed yesterday on my two 50's and generated around 500k which went to my lowest level alt to load up on said perks, and get one of my " mid ranged" alts that just hit 30 her level 3 speeder early

Dailies for cash

Join a guild, help build it up, be social

Help Others

Space Combat,

Level up alts

Crafting

Instances and Operations for gear

Daily Heroics

Hunt Datacroms

Farming

Play the GTN

Roleplay

PvP

Everyone, thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I just did the free server transfer and am now on Droggas Pleasure Barge, Empire side. My current 50 is a SW Juggernaut. I am a little uneasy joining the BH Heroic as the main tank, since I pretty much soloed to 50 and may not have a great grasp of my role in a group. Yea, I understand the basics, but with only trying to keep a companion alive, it is a little different than with others in a full group.

EV and KP? I see that often. What is that / where is that? I take it they are operations.

Belsavis dailies? I didn't think to check there. I will visit there tonight. Can always use more cash.

I did pick up the PvP recruit armor when I hit 50, most of it were upgrades for what I was wearing. I also just got my first 120 daily commendations from the black hole and got a new implant. 240 to go for next implant and ear piece.

I have never been a fan of PvP in any MMO I play, but have thought that I would try it out, if only to build up points for the armor.

Thanks again for the replies, I now have a better direction for my time after doing the dailies.

Everyone, thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I just did the free server transfer and am now on Droggas Pleasure Barge, Empire side. My current 50 is a SW Juggernaut. I am a little uneasy joining the BH Heroic as the main tank, since I pretty much soloed to 50 and may not have a great grasp of my role in a group. Yea, I understand the basics, but with only trying to keep a companion alive, it is a little different than with others in a full group.

EV and KP? I see that often. What is that / where is that? I take it they are operations.

Belsavis dailies? I didn't think to check there. I will visit there tonight. Can always use more cash.

I did pick up the PvP recruit armor when I hit 50, most of it were upgrades for what I was wearing. I also just got my first 120 daily commendations from the black hole and got a new implant. 240 to go for next implant and ear piece.

I have never been a fan of PvP in any MMO I play, but have thought that I would try it out, if only to build up points for the armor.

Thanks again for the replies, I now have a better direction for my time after doing the dailies.

if you leveled as a tank and made the effort to maintain agro away from your companion then you are ready to tank in groups, especially in the Black Hole Heroic 4. I know because that is precisely what happened to me. Further, the best way to learn is through experience. Most players are generally kind when it comes to filling the tanking and healing roles (unlike some other MMOs I will not mention here).

Once you are comfortable tanking the BH heroic 4 move on to flashpoints. And do not be afraid to say "this is my first time in this flashpoint." 99% of the time the rest of the group will guide you through any and all boss fights; that 1% are jerks anyway and not worth your time. However, many players get antsy if you do not fast forward through NPC conversations (using the space bar); if you want to immerse yourself in the story of the flash point you are probably better off going with guildmates and/or friends.

EV and KP - Eternity Vault and Karagga's Palace both are Operations which require 8 or 16 characters to do. Think of them as Flashpoints that take longer to complete and more players to participate. You can get your feet wet by offering to be an "off-tank" - many boss fights require one tank to control the main boss and a second tank to control adds, or the two tanks swap agro periodically due to stacking debuffs. Being an off-tank means that you will be DPSing more often than not. Further, if you get into a guild who runs the Operations they are FAR more likely to be forgiving of asking questions and making mistakes.

There are technically three planets with daily quests - Corellia-Black Hole, Ilum, and Belsevis. BH is the most commonly done (in my experience) but Ilum has a story line along side the dailies (the first time through). I have not yet done the Belsevis ones yet.

The thing about PvP armor though is that while it is better than most gear that came from leveling, it is less than ideally itemized for PvE - more endurance and the expertise rating. Expertise does nothing in PvE. If you do not like PvP do not do it just for the commendations to get gear. You are better off running Hard mode Flash points to get Tionese and columi commendations to get that gear.

Here's dulfy's page on gearing up as a fresh 50 - most of it is still relevant for 1.3.

http://dulfy.net/2012/04/13/dailies-and-pve-gearing-in-1-2/

Personally I hate the mindnumbing repetition that the dailies are and only do them when I "have" to or if a friend/ guildmate wants company. I personally find Ops and HMs more interesting so once you have some reasonable lvl 50 gear I would suggest:

Doing a random HM through the LFG tool. - once per day (gives you 5 BH comms - way easier than trying to get 120 daily comms for the rakata ear/ implants) and chance of Columi or Tionese level gear. If you take the daily and weekly galactic quests you will earn Columi commendations as well and can eventually buy yourself a few pieces of gear.

Joining a guild for social and grouping reasons.

Doing some Ops!

cheers!

If you like PvP, do the WZs. If you like PvE, OPs and flashpoints are fun. I recommend doing both.

Gear up. You need better gear. And if you do both PvP and PvE, you may decide that you need separate PvP and PvE kits. Don't try to PvP in PvE gear.

In your PvP gear, try to get your expertise up to 1100, at least.

Doing the dailies will help you gear up and get you the credits to buy augments. The heroic dailies are more fun and have higher rewards.

Cgeers!

Another thing you can do is roll a new character, and use your lvl 50 to fund new character so that he/she always has good gear. I'm leveling my 2nd character now and it is much easier this time around because I have access to my level 50s money.

Just wanted to give you a heads-up about Belsavis. The dailies are at the Wilderness outpost speeder in the south and also way to the north (i forget the waypoint). The one to the north you may need to hike to in order to unlock the rakata warp thing so you won't need to warp there in your future dailies.

• 1 month later...

Hey all, I am back with another question. I figured I would just use this thread instead of starting a new one.

I have been working on my dailies, dang that is a full time job. LOL

I cannot find something though. I am looking for Equipment/Armor modifications + enhancement modifications that I can purchase with daily commendations, but I cannot find them. Not at the fleet, Ilum, Belsavius, or the Black Hole. Yea, I can find Armor / Barrel and Hilt mods, but that is it.

I am looking for the purple, level 50 ones you can buy with daily commendations. Not the ones you can buy with whatever planetary commendations can be earned.

Any direction would be awesome.

Step 1. Get a good guild or you're dead.

Come back to us when done :D

stop being rude and unsub

im in a small less then 15man guild, and i pug hm's everyday without any issue, i stay out of KUS/LI until i feel ready to pass the guild torch to my friend and join a raiding guild

do not listen to trolls like the person i quoted

1. Join a guild. Help others. Build relationships. Run instances and Operations with the guild.

2. Space Combat.

3. Roleplaying

4. Crafting

5. Play the GTN

6. PvP

7. Find all the datacroms

8. Run dailies for cash

9. Gear out yourself and all your companions.

10. Level up another toon to follow its story.

Another thing you can do is roll a new character, and use your lvl 50 to fund new character so that he/she always has good gear. I'm leveling my 2nd character now and it is much easier this time around because I have access to my level 50s money.

Disagree. Not strongly, just this will prove to be a money pit. Use any planet commendations you have left over to by mods, enhancements. Otherwise, let your flashpoints be your gear providers. You gain xp every trip, even if you don't get the armor you want. Plus you out level your gear so fast, you'll be spending more time on your 50 trying to keep the gear current than you do leveling.

I'm speaking from experience here... :rolleyes:

When I stopped farming for alt gear, and focused on leveling my alt in flash points and class quests, my alt took off like a rocket!

Keep the alt parked in a rest area any time you aren't leveling them. Let your main work on gear progression and dailies.

Get yourself a set of legacy gear, and you can mod rip a set columni or better for your alt and be OP ready the moment you hit 50. It's even better if your alt is the same base class (scoundrel/gunslinger) so you can pass down gear your main has outgrown directly. My gunslinger alt has a Rakata chest piece and gloves at lvl 44. ;)