Welcome to Galactic Starfighter Subscriber Early Access

CourtneyWoods

well assuming a starfighter elemnt comes out, i would wish PVE content......and playable with joystick or at least far better controls for my spacefighter.

next would be far more speed. all trailer vids show fast spacecombat, i nearly fell asleep playing GSF..slow ship bad aiming, slow wepons, etc.

this complete expansio nfeels slow.....

LOL I thought the slow speed was just me not knowing what I was doing. But after playing for a while I realized that I was moving top speed. What a joke!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya I have been a 9-5 player for a couple weeks leading up to the new patch and now i cant even get to the character selection screen. You cant say its my computer because ive checked and rechecked that all my drivers are updated and plus i was able to get on before the update. Its ridiculous how much i invest in this game and constantly get let down by the service. There isn't a mobile game out there that if the creators messed up that they compensate those effected. Thus why pc games are on the outs. Customer service is crap for pc games.

OK ! I have played this a lot for the last 24 hours . its fun for awhile but then what? I truly do not understand who you guys pay in a board room to come up with these ideas and then someone says "that's great! that's just what we need to do !" 1st off Requisition system: there IS indeed already a system in game to barter goods with (its called credits) no need for this at all now we have requisition,fleet requisition,credits,cartel coins,planetary comms....smh. (2): why on earth did you guys not make these ship parts CRAFTABLE???. it might actually give someone the incentive to craft .(3) what incentive do I have to upgrade my ship if when I do I will then just be grouped into a higher brackette with players who have upgraded ? I never get an edge. I may as well just stock pile "requistions" from the get go and never add anything to my ship and just play the newbies that come in . ps does not any of your paid proffesionals working on this game NOT play other mmo's? do you guys really think this is better then other games that have came before it and this requisition system is the best way to go ?? have any of you ever played a little game called SWG ??? not only is this not better than that space game (jump to light speed) it is not even as good as it and this is about 15 years later ...way to push the envelope bioware your team is top notch . I hope you all pat yourselves on the back every afternoon and compliment each other on how awesome you guys are at your job . .:mad: PS NO JOYSTICK USE IS FAIL Edited by Lordashboomstick

I don't get the people who are complaining about GSF. As someone who loves space combat shooters like Wing Commander and X-wing etc I'd have to say it's pretty on par with them.

The speed is about normal for space combat, so you use your thrust sparingly. I like this. Yeah I would happily welcome about a 100% faster speed increase because it adds to the challenge but I wouldn't say the current speed is horrendous. The aiming is also on par with Wing Commander. Aim for the red circle to allow for distance etc. Age old system, I like it. It works for me. The missile lock for the left ship is great. So satisfying to get a lock and let 'er rip :).

If there's any improvements I'd like to see it would be that stationary items such as the turrets had a little more indication of where they are. Be it on the map or on the screen itself as, I may be blind but I find myself circling the stations to try and find these turrets because they blend too well in. Also we defo need a cockpit view, that's a BIGGIE :)

other than that absolutely love this and so excited for the future.

A short time makes it fun, but there is nothing which will motivate me long. The same PvP arenas as always, in 3D. Nothing really new. Not even a joystick is supported.

X-Wing vs. Tie-Fighter has offered much more fun and better missions over 15 years ago. In multiplayer PvP and demanding missions are possible.

It's only a missed opportunity more in this game.

A short time makes it fun, but there is nothing which will motivate me long. The same PvP arenas as always, in 3D. Nothing really new. Not even a joystick is supported.

X-Wing vs. Tie-Fighter has offered much more fun and better missions over 15 years ago. In multiplayer PvP and demanding missions are possible.

It's only a missed opportunity more in this game.

Two points:

- X-wing vs TIE fighter was a stand alone space shooter, not an extra "free"* add-on to a traditional MMORPG

- The devs have stated that they will add more ships and game modes to GSF

I don't consider it a missed opportunity - yet. As long as Bioware updates it regularly and doesn't let it fall to the wayside we can consider the current version of GSF a pretty good foundation for something bigger and, hopefully, special.

It's current version is rather bare-bones, yes, and it does have a number of issues (I've posted about them a lot and once earlier in this thread), but as long as it receives the attention it needs we should have a very nice "game within the game" in the coming months :) I really hope it succeeds!

* = Nothing's ever free, hence the quotation marks.

You cannot compare X-wing vs tie fighter, a standalone established game that was a fully finished product with GSF which has just been released and will be expanded on. Yes there are tweaks needed to be made and DOMINATION is a lame game mode but this is just the start.

I think most people will say the battle on hoth is probably the most memorable from most star wars games (star wars trilogy arcade, shadows of the empire etc) so imagine there being a 12 v 12 battle like that on hoth or, and I know this is a bit ahead of itself, but perhaps there could be a way of having a ground team with guns fighting against an air team trying to destroy their base (like COD).

One extra thing I would like to see that would tie in the GSF a bit better with the main swtor (as it feels a bit tacked on just now) is the ability to have a hanger for it on your characters ship. A small hanger or something so u can see all the c ustomisations you've made and enter GSF from there too.

Throwing even bigger ideas out it would be cool to have a space battle that takes place during the star wars movie saga. Yeh it's 4000 years in the future but there's ways around that (some sort of vision of the future you see when on voss etc that propels you to the skywalker years)

Just spitballing but as you can see I like this :)

Thank you very much for GS. It is great. For the second time, I got this big star wars feeling, flying around.

I remember in Dec. 2011 when I got my first lightsaber. Great emotions. And now I got this. Perfect.

Please, build a death star, so that we can destroy it. Oh, I feel to be Luke skywalker. I want it.

Luke: It's not impossible. I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters.

General Dodonna: Then man your ships. And may the Force be with you.

Thanks for GS.

Thank you very much for GS. It is great. For the second time, I got this big star wars feeling, flying around.

I remember in Dec. 2011 when I got my first lightsaber. Great emotions. And now I got this. Perfect.

Please, build a death star, so that we can destroy it. Oh, I feel to be Luke skywalker. I want it.

Luke: It's not impossible. I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters.

General Dodonna: Then man your ships. And may the Force be with you.

Thanks for GS.

I agree. For those that say the death star doesn't fit in with the old republic lore etc I still say there are ways around this ie a mission on voss where you see a vision of the future (4000 years) when the death star is blown up or something similar. Not everything has to be taking place in the old republic time (I mean it doesn't exactly mess up our heads that one minute

malgus is dead and the next he's congratulating us on defeating general ortol

Do love GS. We need to integrate it better into the rest of swtor now. At the moment it's like a tacked on standalone game. We need to see our characters in the ships, have hangers for our gs ships on our main PVE ships, add crew skill missions to build ship parts and dye packs. Sky's the limit and more :)

Dear Bioware devs,

I am writing to inform you that your GSF system, sucks. Reasons are as follows:

1: PvP could not possibly be more played out

2: Having arrived no less than a day late to the party, I was consistently raped within three shots by people who I must assume had been playing this beta since before you even thought of it. Did we not all learn our lesson when COD 4 had newbies starting off with an M16A3 with a half second lag in between 3 shot bursts while level 40s got a P90? clearly you are the only company in the gaming universe, that did NOT learn this lesson. This is confoundingly stupid.

3: You know I cant quite put my finger on what these mechanics remind me of... Oh wait thats it. Battlefront 2. Except Battlefront 2 had non retarded spawn systems, rational objectives and DIDN'T have the people who got in earliest, nigh on unbeatable. The only thing I appreciate out of these vaguely warmed over mechanics, is the new targeting. More on that...

4: The targetting. Did you know that space is empty? Did you know there is absolutely no friction in space whatsoever? Do you know where I'm going with this? The laser bolts can't possible have a range of less than 5 kilometres in a frictionless environment. Not when a .50 calibre round out the end of a M98 Barrett is capable of travelling the same distance and still have room to kill, in the friction heavy environment of Earth. I must say that this is the most depressing oversight of all. I learnt that in my introduction to physics class in grade 6. Grow a brain stem to share between the lot of you at the least. Although after mass effect 3 I shouldn't be suprised. But heres some proof that you DID know this, and you were just too stupid to think of it again:

THAT is why we think about our designs! THAT is why you spend more than a fraction of a second thinking about weapon range! THAT is why, dear bioware devs, you do not eyeee ball it!

5: Heres a fantastic idea: Why dont we send in all of our small fighters, one by one in FTL so that we spend about 600 times the money in fuel AND make no sense whatsoever to the players character, repsawning in the middle of space, with a working fighter around them. I could also reference episode 4: a new hope and say: A fighter than size couldn't get this deep into space on its own... Maybe we just got lost? Is that why we were jumping into the battle rather than deploying from a ship? Maybe we were part of a convoy....

Why on earth would we want to put in something rational, like battle front 2 had: Two capital ships in close combat, deploying fighters. This really does hit all the birds with one stone. You will have everyone on equal equipment ground and thus newbies getting completely and utterly raped. You also take care of the rationality of the spawn system by having the character respawn as normal, in the imperial medbay. I can already hear the PVP trolls going off: Since when was PVP about fair? Well for one, you can pick your targets. A level 32 with vastly inferior equipment doesnt unknowingly take on a level 55 with godlike equipment. You kill what you can, where you can and cover your healers. You plant the bomb and interrupt anyone trying to disarm. The most important part of this list that I could just about endlessly list off is that you can pick out someone that you have a good chance of beating. the only way these teamwork elements that are crucial to the enjoyment of PVP can be implemented in GSF, is by... nothing. Not a god damned thing. It can't be done with reasonable means.

6: Lack of deathmatch. I understand this is in Beta only and will most likely be implemented later, but I have ZERO interest in playing PVP when people just go off on there own within a couple hundred square killometres of space and asteroids and try to solo everyone. It is a completely unreasonable system that was never ever going to work. For god sakes people are flat out working as a team in standard warzones where they can see all their buddies and enemies and can work together based on what they see, rather than taking a random shot off into space that only travels less than 5 clicks anyway!

Did you even think about the design of this PVP mode? Did you consider posting up a sub-only access poll to ask people what they would like to see in this game mode? or did you jsut decide to completely wing it? Grab some stuff off battlefront 2, leave behind all the good stuff and throw in a darth vader style targeting circle and call it a day? This mode needs to basically be thrown out the window and started from scratch before it earns a shred of my respect. Its only redeeming feature was the targetting circle. The experience of which was promptly destroyed when I was, 15 seconds into my first game by a missle lock that shredded me. Yet my enemies take about 18 of those before they start to get nervous. Ludicrous. Not to mention the ping between me, the server and the other guy meant that most of the shots that should hit, in fact missed. So your only redeeming feature, was shot to hell by an issue that a 6 year old would have been able to pinpoint AND predict: ping.

I've left out all my issues with bugs because its a beta. It was, suprisingly, relatively bug free. Had a couple of people fly through asteroids and some guy randomly appear right in front of me but nothing that makes me anything like as annoyed to be subscribing to the game as the issues above. If you actually take the time the think this over and ask your fans what they want out of it, you might have a very capable and enjoyable PVP system that would be worth subscribing for.

PVP. Yawwwwnn... What could have been more boring? There's still room for improvement boys, don't let this chance slip your grasp!

8 hours wait for nothing.:mad:

...and I tried it. As someone very well pointed out, the result is "literally a waste of space!". I payed well to far ahead my sub. In order to keep being a sub, I will do my very best to forget this update exists. Btw, is there anywhere a setup option to replace the picture on the loading screen? Drives me mad each time I see it.

I couldn't agree more with you! I also have 2 co-workers who play the game that feel this way. There was so much more they could have done with the existing content, or endgame, and yet they waste their time, and our money, creating this useless expansion. So very disappointed.....

So far I thoroughly enjoy this update. I am looking forward to the new content coming next year.

However, I had some question about controls and interface:

1) Will the ability to use a joystick be available in the near future?

2) Will players be able to have a first person view?

While I here a lot a complaining about it being pvp, I think it is a great start to any future starship content. The release is what got me back into STWOR. Since the update I have done very little to further my 55s gear on the ground. These battles and the thrill of updating the ships is very addicting.

Thanks for the update!

4: The targetting. Did you know that space is empty? Did you know there is absolutely no friction in space whatsoever? Do you know where I'm going with this? The laser bolts can't possible have a range of less than 5 kilometres in a frictionless environment. Not when a .50 calibre round out the end of a M98 Barrett is capable of travelling the same distance and still have room to kill, in the friction heavy environment of Earth. I must say that this is the most depressing oversight of all. I learnt that in my introduction to physics class in grade 6. Grow a brain stem to share between the lot of you at the least. Although after mass effect 3 I shouldn't be suprised. But heres some proof that you DID know this, and you were just too stupid to think of it again:

So I saw this and just thought about how stupid it is to compare an energy based weapon with a M98 round. Yes, space is empty and without friction. Therefore, if you fired a bullet, it would continue at its initial velocity forever or until it hit something. However, energy based weapons will lose energy the further out they go. It's not that the blaster just stops, like a bullet would in an atmosphere. I highly doubt you learned physics about a fictional weapon in space in 6th grade. Quit ************ and move on to a new game.

Also, more content will be released next year. If you weren't such a dick-wad, maybe using constructive, adult criticism would be more effective than acting like a child throwing a tantrum.

So I saw this and just thought about how stupid it is to compare an energy based weapon with a M98 round. Yes, space is empty and without friction. Therefore, if you fired a bullet, it would continue at its initial velocity forever or until it hit something. However, energy based weapons will lose energy the further out they go. It's not that the blaster just stops, like a bullet would in an atmosphere. I highly doubt you learned physics about a fictional weapon in space in 6th grade. Quit ************ and move on to a new game.

Also, more content will be released next year. If you weren't such a dick-wad, maybe using constructive, adult criticism would be more effective than acting like a child throwing a tantrum.

LOL! Whats the matter kiddo? Did you get a little butthurt that maybe someone disagreed with you? Waste of oxygen. And youre also wrong about the energy of the weapons. Energy cannot be created or destroyed and therefore a bolt of energy is just that: A bolt of energy. It cant just dissapate into nothingness afteer its gone 5 thousand metres from its source. You really are a genius son.

Maybe the reasons you doubt I learned about fictional weapons in space during grade 6 are: A.) You never got past grade 5. B.) You didn't read my sentence properly. C.) You COULDN'T read my sentence properly because of the aforementioned issue of not getting past grade 5. Cos you see, what I actually said was that I learned about friction in grade 6 during an introduction to physics. So you know, way to go. You're really do pack a model human brain in that inbred skull of yours.

A child throwing a tantrum? You sir, are retarded. They asked for feedback on it and they got my feedback, now you're throwing a tantrum because you think differently. How DARE I actually be disappointed with a part of a game I subscribe to monthly!? Outrageous I tell you! What I did in that post was lay out exactly what they did wrong and how they could fix it. How much more constructive does it get?

Grow up. You're looking for arguments where non exist because someone actually deflated your ego a little bit by pointing out issues that you are too stupid to see.

I"m sure the PvP enthusiasts are jumping with joy at this new addition, but frankly, I'm not interested. The thing that really irked me is getting all 4 sets of equipment delivered to each of my characters. In other words, 24 pieces of empty clutter per toon! Since I'm not going to bother with the Galactic Starfighter stuff, is there any way I can get you to remove all this extra junk from my characters' mail? Or am I going to have to pull it out one toon at a time, then sell the worthless junk? This is a major waste of my time! Why not ask if people are interested in getting that much stuff first? :mad:

By the way, when I started the game, it crashed my browser. And while I was writing this complaint, the game crashed. So the patch is utterly worthless, all the way around, and ends up a major inconvenience for those of us interested in only doing PvE.

Thanks, BioWare! <Yes, that was sarcasm!>

It's a shame you can't pull this stupid patch altogether. I wouldn't miss it at all.

Edited by inzilor
Game just crashed, after it crashed my browser.

Hey Courtney Woods, Had a fun time with GS.

Was a bit tough getting into it, but once i understood the basics and watched a few youtubes i found it alot of fun.

Im also back after a burnout phase, been playing sith inqusitor and bounty hunter. im glad i took a break. Everything is fresh and im havin a good time...

I"m sure the PvP enthusiasts are jumping with joy at this new addition, but frankly, I'm not interested. The thing that really irked me is getting all 4 sets of equipment delivered to each of my characters. In other words, 24 pieces of empty clutter per toon! Since I'm not going to bother with the Galactic Starfighter stuff, is there any way I can get you to remove all this extra junk from my characters' mail? Or am I going to have to pull it out one toon at a time, then sell the worthless junk? This is a major waste of my time! Why not ask if people are interested in getting that much stuff first? :mad:

By the way, when I started the game, it crashed my browser. And while I was writing this complaint, the game crashed. So the patch is utterly worthless, all the way around, and ends up a major inconvenience for those of us interested in only doing PvE.

Thanks, BioWare! <Yes, that was sarcasm!>

It's a shame you can't pull this stupid patch altogether. I wouldn't miss it at all.

You could have simply not opened the boxes you know.

So yeah, new expansion, not perfect, but still playable... and then RANT HAPPENED.

Dear Bioware devs,

THAT is why we think about our designs! THAT is why you spend more than a fraction of a second thinking about weapon range! THAT is why, dear bioware devs, you do not eyeee ball it!

5: Heres a fantastic idea: Why dont we send in all of our small fighters, one by one in FTL so that we spend about 600 times the money in fuel AND make no sense whatsoever to the players character, repsawning in the middle of space, with a working fighter around them. I could also reference episode 4: a new hope and say: A fighter than size couldn't get this deep into space on its own... Maybe we just got lost? Is that why we were jumping into the battle rather than deploying from a ship? Maybe we were part of a convoy....

Because, you know, ARCADE-styled science FICTION as opposed to SEMI-REALISTIC SPACE COMBAT SIM.

But seeeeriously ... Look at the SPAWN POINTS. What's immediately below them? CAPITAL SHIPS. So, yeah, you're half right... but it doesn't make sense to have two capital ships slugging it out over a repair facility, when the collateral damage from the mutual bombardment would destroy the objective.

This is of course totally beside the point that the Star Wars movies are known for totally epic fighter-to-fighter space dogfight melee battles, so why not put them into the game as PvP?

This isn't Battlefront. If you like Battlefront better, go play Battlefront. No one's uninstalled it from your computer to install this.

I am very disappointed in the whole concept for the following reasons:

1. Why develop starfighters when we have ships that could been used?

2. Why develop space arenas when the space around each planet could have been develop and use?

3. I like to explore, Where is the exploration?

I am more a PVE player than PVP but I will try to convert but, will you?

4. There should be a PVE side to this fight the same Groups that are fought on the ground. In fact a whole storyline could be created to cleanse the space around the main planets and not so main.

5. Maybe I missed something, I was hoping for more of a simulation hud then a shooter.

When it comes to Star Wars, you have to meet and exceed what has done before. Bar for exploration in Star Wars game infact any game was set by Star Wars Galaxies and all its expansions.

SWTOR might have a better graphics engine and better interactions but the freedom to explore is lacking.

I am very disappointed in the whole concept for the following reasons:

1. Why develop starfighters when we have ships that could been used?

2. Why develop space arenas when the space around each planet could have been develop and use?

3. I like to explore, Where is the exploration?

I am more a PVE player than PVP but I will try to convert but, will you?

4. There should be a PVE side to this fight the same Groups that are fought on the ground. In fact a whole storyline could be created to cleanse the space around the main planets and not so main.

5. Maybe I missed something, I was hoping for more of a simulation hud then a shooter.

When it comes to Star Wars, you have to meet and exceed what has done before. Bar for exploration in Star Wars game infact any game was set by Star Wars Galaxies and all its expansions.

SWTOR might have a better graphics engine and better interactions but the freedom to explore is lacking.

I've been trying to get into GS but it appears I can't just do it casually. You pretty much have to be hardcore if you're gonna ever win a match and I don't really know if I want to dedicate too much time learning space PvP. Everyone in my clan just upgraded to the Xbox One so my CoD time is about to increase again so unless there is a more casual and free roaming GS I think I'll choose to shelve GS just like I did with ground PvP. I'm not saying it's not fun but I'd have to put in some serious time to get good cause I'm just not a video game God, please make a PvE version for us "casuals" BW!!!!

I'd like to say that I am completely into this facet of the game!!!!!

I have been flying and dogfighting hard for a week now and really getting a feel for the subtleties of being a republic fighter pilot... makes me reminiscent of the whole rogue squadron series of books...:cool:

Good work ! look forward to the future content...

A new space battle arena with variation of objectives would be cool too -

For all those having a whinge about the time it takes to learn the basics - you're earning good XP and Credits for every mission you compete in - way quicker to level doing this than running around completing monotonous, repetitive tasks on planets...

Finally, guild buddies & I all agree turrent kills are a highly frustrating... especially when you do all the work and then the turrent finishes them off...... not sure if you can do anything about this I suspect not as they serve an important purpose.... overall BIG THUMBS UP !

Edited by GurzaNeutron
Additonal thoughts

Well, I've played Galactic Star-fighter enough to give my two cents:

*Over all I like GS, but it does have some minor flaws.

*Why can't I alter/upgrade my ship while in Q? I feel that this is a silly rule that needs to be fixed. I'm not doing anything else but sitting there. Why make me hold up my team in-between matches?

*Can we map the 1-4 ship abilities to a different button? Or at the very least allow me to reassign then as I see fit? I play on a 47 inch TV & it is VERY difficult to look down at my keyboard to push a button & then back up to my TV in a type of game-play where every twitch and second counts. I get killed more often than I get kills when trying to use said abilities. I'd personally like to see them mapped to the scroll wheel.

Overall grade: A-

PS: When are getting Galactic pod racer?

*Can we map the 1-4 ship abilities to a different button? Or at the very least allow me to reassign then as I see fit? I play on a 47 inch TV & it is VERY difficult to look down at my keyboard to push a button & then back up to my TV in a type of game-play where every twitch and second counts. I get killed more often than I get kills when trying to use said abilities. I'd personally like to see them mapped to the scroll wheel.

Just FYI: You can.

Maybe you want to take a look at the preferences menu, there is a tab on the bottom that states "Galactic starfighter keybinds" or something like that, that should do the trick.

Edited by Tito_O