HM Styrak question

Was doing this last night with the guildies and wasn't sure if the mechanic of a 6k/s hit when the 2nd Dragon appears seemed bugged. From what I have read it should only do about 2k/s, at 6k/s the healers couldn't keep us up for more than a couple of secs.

We checked that the dragon hadn't enraged so something else must be going on, is there a mechanic we missed when the dragon comes out, like the spikes and stacking behind the tank for instance??

Our raid composition was 1 Jug, 1 Sin, 2 Sorc healers, 1 Merc, 1 Mara, 1 Sniper and 1 Sorc DPS.

We did have a bugged out Olok where the Artillery droids were 1-shotting people for 40k+ at the beginning of the 2nd phase although this was solved (after an hour of scratching our heads) by making sure the 7 ppl who got that far in the raid were all in the instance before inviting the 8th member.

Any advice is appreciated.

The 2nd Dragon, and looking at your vid it looks like you were taking nowhere near the damage that we took when the dragon came out. We dropped two cuddle puddles and stacked everyone close to Styrak and was still taking way too much damage from the jumps. There must be something we are missing or this part of the fight was bugged.

The 2nd Dragon, and looking at your vid it looks like you were taking nowhere near the damage that we took when the dragon came out. We dropped two cuddle puddles and stacked everyone close to Styrak and was still taking way too much damage from the jumps. There must be something we are missing or this part of the fight was bugged.

There is a tank swap mechanic involved with the last kell dragon, he places a debuff on the tank and there needs to be a swap when the stack reached 4-5.

There is a tank swap mechanic involved with the last kell dragon, he places a debuff on the tank and there needs to be a swap when the stack reached 4-5.

Yep we were doing this.....just wondering if the rest of the raid needs to be behind the dragon, in front or what??? From the guides I have seen it is suggested that the raid stay close to Styrak as the further the raid is away from Styrak the more damage the dragon does but we tried a few times and this didn't seem to nullify the massive AOE damage we were experiencing.

Yep we were doing this.....just wondering if the rest of the raid needs to be behind the dragon, in front or what??? From the guides I have seen it is suggested that the raid stay close to Styrak as the further the raid is away from Styrak the more damage the dragon does but we tried a few times and this didn't seem to nullify the massive AOE damage we were experiencing.

The dragon itself has no cleave, but this part is very healing intensive, and took my raid group a few tries to be able to heal through it. I would recommend popping a sniper bubble if you have one and everyone else should pop a cd. My group fights the dragon at the wall to prep for styrak. I do not think it matters where you fight the dragon as I have fought him next to styrak and at the wall. I dont want to be an elitist, but a lot of people claim the fights fights are bugged, but for the most part mechanics are usually missed.

one other thing, when you were checking for enrage, you need to see if styrak himself is enraged, if he is enraged the dragon itself will do a lot more damage.

Edited by raidmac

The dragon itself has no cleave, but this part is very healing intensive, and took my raid group a few tries to be able to heal through it. I would recommend popping a sniper bubble if you have one and everyone else should pop a cd. My group fights the dragon at the wall to prep for styrak. I do not think it matters where you fight the dragon as I have fought him next to styrak and at the wall. I dont want to be an elitist, but a lot of people claim the fights fights are bugged, but for the most part mechanics are usually missed.

That is what I am trying to find out, I believe we may have missed a mechanic. I just do not know which one. My original premise is still that the dragon is hitting almost 6k/s when smashing which is tearing through our raid. The guides suggest this should be about 2k/s which is much more manageable, I was doing 3.7k HPS on this fight. My only guess is we missed a mechanic that applies a party wide dmg reduction or something. The numbers we are seeing just are not what is seen on other videos. Even in NM difficulty these numbers seem extreme, my other guess is a hidden enrage but again this assumes we missed a mechanic. I am just trying to find out which one we missed.

As stated in the Olok fight we also had a couple of pulls where the Artillery droids on the front row were hitting us for 40k, the only way we got around that was resetting the phase and inviting the person who didn't progress as far as the rest of the raid only when we were all in.

Styrak was not enraged at least to the best of my knowledge.

Edited by bsbrad

The only thing that could be possibly happening is that you are hitting enrage. I believe you need to get styrak down to 15% before a 5th manifestation or you will hit enrage( it may be less, cant remember right now). But it seems that you guys are hitting enrage if it is doing that much damage. This fight is a tough dps check, but the next time you attempt him, take a look at styrak, he will have a enrage icon in his buff area if enraged.

The only thing that could be possibly happening is that you are hitting enrage. I believe you need to get styrak down to 15% before a 5th manifestation or you will hit enrage( it may be less, cant remember right now). But it seems that you guys are hitting enrage if it is doing that much damage. This fight is a tough dps check, but the next time you attempt him, take a look at styrak, he will have a enrage icon in his buff area if enraged.

That's what I was thinking but we have him down way before a 5th manifestation, usually just a touch after the 4th

That's what I was thinking but we have him down way before a 5th manifestation, usually just a touch after the 4th

The fight also has an overall enrage that includes the first Kell Dragon. Assuming your DPS is fairly consistent, you want to shoot for being at least under 20% during the second Spines cast. This will likely make Styrak enrage around the time you kill him, and 1-3% enrage is very doable.

Just downed him couple of minutes ago with 7% enrage in a semi-pick up group so it is very doable.

It sounds like Styrak was enraged. Dragon also has an enrage, but sometimes it's only Styrak that enrages. He is still killable from it if dragon dies super quickly, tanks have cooldowns ready and you have a bit of luck. In my experience you need to push for no adds after second spin or even death during the spin to get no enrage. I've been in one run I think with no second spin.

If the second Kell Dragon is alive at the 8 minute mark of the fight, Power of the Master starts to do a lot more damage. That's what wiped us the first few times we tried HM Styrak.

We finally took him down last night, this mechanic must have been what was killing us. After whipping the DPS to bring up their numbers we got Styrak down so he only enraged around 6-7% and only lost a couple of raiders.

FWIW, we noticed that you pretty much have to have a sustained DPS throughout the whole fight so you can keep up with the enrage timer. For other guilds our 4 DPS were between 1.2 mil and a hair under a mil, the healers popped in 350k between them and the tanks picked up the rest. As we ended up having 2 sorcs energy issues were only of a concern when Styrak was in ghost form and the healers alternated DPS while the other healer re-charged. The other key was to make sure the ranged DPS who would suffer the most from moving (i.e. our Arsenal Merc and Sorc were able just to turret and not move to much)

My guild is on Styrak atm and we get Styrak to enrage when 2nd Dragon comes.

Im wondering where we can put out 5+ more % of damage.

1. When the channeling guy comes during the Dragon phase, do you jump him with all your dps or just a few or even only 1? Cause as it is now we let our melee dps be on the Dragon and let our 2 ranged dps take care of both the channeling guy and the strangeling guy.

2. When the 4 channeling guys comes (north, south, east, west) we let our 2 tanks go close to 2 of them and our melee dps to the other 2 while our ranged dps and healers stand in mid and just dps them down.

3. Should Inspiration be popped as soon as its off CD or should just save it for specific moments?

Some suggestions

1. Drop a Tank
  2. Gear DPS More
  3. Learn Rotations/Specc/Stats
  4. Healers throw dots

First point is actually easy to do, just drop one tank and bring another DPS, the fight is perfectly doable with one tank if he knows what to do and has a fast reaction speed, this should solve your DPS issues.

Second is a bit more natural, if your DPS is doing low DPS you need to gear the, up more with off hands, main hands, relics and all other gear, most UW can be crafted, make use of this and give your DPS the tools to pull that extra DPS.

Third is very common, your DPS is playing an bad specc, don't know their rotations (runs out of energy, gets full heat) or is just using the wrong stats. Make them do a five min parse on a dummy and unless they are doing about 2700 (+/- 100) they are doing something wrong, ask the, to check guides and get feedback from other players.

Sometimes your DPS is doing their very best, if so there is only one option left, ask your healers to throw some dots on the boss, this is very easy if you are using two tanks since you can use some cool downs to easy up the healing, if using one tank this should not be needed.

About integration, one can be used as soon as the dragon drops down and it will be removed a few seconds before the boss starts spinning, another option is to save it to after the first spinn and then pair it with relic/adrenal for higher DPS. Other then that you want to use it once in the middle of main boss fight and then save it so you have it up at around 15% when main boss spawns 2nd dragon since he takes more damage (also save adrenal and relic for this). If your DPS is low you should have enough time to do three inspirations, however make sure to time them right so you can use the full duration of it.

My guild is on Styrak atm and we get Styrak to enrage when 2nd Dragon comes.

Im wondering where we can put out 5+ more % of damage.

1. When the channeling guy comes during the Dragon phase, do you jump him with all your dps or just a few or even only 1? Cause as it is now we let our melee dps be on the Dragon and let our 2 ranged dps take care of both the channeling guy and the strangeling guy.

Depends on set-up/output. Usual 1-2 rDPS can deal with them. In most runs I have DPSed they melt in about 3 GCD's.

2. When the 4 channeling guys comes (north, south, east, west) we let our 2 tanks go close to 2 of them and our melee dps to the other 2 while our ranged dps and healers stand in mid and just dps them down.

Exactly, guardian should use their saber reflect to kill them quicker. Strongest rDPS needs to kill the one on which main tank is so he has time to get back to middle.

3. Should Inspiration be popped as soon as its off CD or should just save it for specific moments?

I believe in using it right after first dragon spin, and then on cooldown (right after four adds phase). Also adrenals etc. on cooldown after 4 adds phases. You really do no want to see any enrage.

Also what I have been trying lately - everyone pops defensive cooldowns right when the resurrected dragon dies - tanks, DPS, healers - they will be up through most of the burn phase. You move with the dragon right into the entrance. He will stun one tank with saber throw but with defensive cooldown it doesn't do much if he's not enraged and is survivable when enraged.

With 2 tanks it's much less healing intensive and less prone to RNG like eg. the only tank going into nightmare (although this can be survived too).

To be honest the more I do this fight the more I like it. It's fun, has different stuff in it, demanding for all roles and really good usage of various abilities can make massive difference.

What I noticed and I think it's massive mistake that people do is using flybies on the chained manifestation if they are not pre-cast. People usually start to cast them when it's already up - but then it will be dead before the flyby is ended - that is DPS loss. I have seen same in other places like adds on Thrasher where flybies are huge overkill. It's all matter of understanding all mechanics and abilities in the game :)

My imperial guild was stuck at Styrak for about 2 weeks when we were progressing Hard Mode, so this is one fight that I know (unfortunately) very well...

So some things to note: (Having all your dps at least with adrenals really helps this fight FYI)

1- Hard enrage is at 8 minutes, and the clock starts when the first Kell Dragon jumps down from the throne.

2- If you haven't killed the Kell Dragon within around 120s (2 minutes), beating enrage is going to be very difficult. (If you have a tank-choking add up with anywhere near 100k left on the Dragon, ignore it and kill the dragon to avoid another spines phase.)

3- The Kell Dragon takes 10% damage while in "Spines" phase, so don't blow any big dps/long cooldowns while he is spinning.

4- After the Kell Dragon is dead, presumably you have 6-ish minutes left on your enrage timer. When Styrak appears the first time, this is the longest uninterrupted dps window you will have on him, so pour that the damage on.... healers can help here too, since there isn't a lot of damage.

5- The first Chained Manifestation is the roughest, since it's timed badly with the Nightmare Manifestation, so you will most likely be short 1 dps, so the healers and tanks really have to push it for the first one.

6- Lightning Manifestation - It helped us to assign locations to 4 players. (1 Tank North, 1 Tank South, 1 DPS East, 1 DPS West) - The healers and 2 ranged DPS would stay in the middle. One of the ranged in the middle would target the North add and the other targets the South add. They get burned fast, then switch to the East/West to polish them off fast. (If you take too long, someone is going to get one-shotted, so they all have to die fast.)

7- Push the most dps you can on Styrak whenever he is out. Every little bit counts. Total Damage Dealt in this fight is meaningless, it's all about EFFICIENT DAMAGE on Kell Dragon -> Styrak -> Rez'd Kell Dragon -> Styrak.

8- Rinse/Repeat until Styrak hits 15%. This HAS to occur BEFORE he starts the 5th Nightmare/Chained cycle. If you hit a 5th cycle, you WILL enrage around the same time as he revives the Kell Dragon, and you WILL die.

9- At 15% Styrak will revive the Kell Dragon right where is standing. The whole group needs to move back towards the cave entrance (not all the way back, just enough to put some space between the dragon and Styrak). The tank will pull the dragon away from Styrak, BECAUSE if your AoE's hit Styrak during this phase, you take damage and will die. ALSO - the Kell Dragon has a buff that he deals more damage from range, so everyone should be stacked and the healers drop puddles/aoe heals. The 2nd Dragon has no frontal/cleave, but does deal a bit of damage. However, he also takes roughly double-damage so burning him shouldn't take too long. (Tanks need to swap aggro during this phase, because they will take a stacking debuff that will melt them pretty quickly if they don't swap.)

10- Once the revived Kell Dragon is dead, the entire team needs to stack under the ledge by the cave entrance where you came in, and the tanks tank-swap every time Styrak switches targets. (not unlike the Furious Tantrum phase at The Terror, only you are also dealing with stuns.)

If you've done it right, and met all your time markers, if Styrak enrages at all, it should be sub-5% and he is fairly easy to burn at that point.

If you are consistently seeing your DPS break the 1.1 to 1.2M damage dealt mark, it means you are taking too long, and the dps isn't high enough. The cleanest my guild has done this fight, was enrage at 2%, and only one of our dps had above 1M total damage dealt. You really should be seeing all 4 of your dps in the 900-950k range, assuming your tanks aren't pushing really low numbers, and the healers are pitching in.

Hope this helps! Our guild went from being completely unable to clear him at all, to one-shotting him, just by tightening everything up, and one person in the raid calls out all mechanics, when to use adrenals, relics and dps damage buff cooldowns. Now it's pretty trivial.

9- At 15% Styrak will revive the Kell Dragon right where is standing. The whole group needs to move back towards the cave entrance (not all the way back, just enough to put some space between the dragon and Styrak). The tank will pull the dragon away from Styrak, BECAUSE if your AoE's hit Styrak during this phase, you take damage and will die...

Did not know about this mechanic, thanks Ocho for the heads up, we ended up just healing through the dragons damage.