So.. just watched Guardians of the Galaxy..

Xeraz

..and in a lot of ways it felt like a test run for the new Star Wars movies. The special effects, the make up, the "style" the mix of "serious content" and more "family style humor." For better or for worse, I expect the new Star Wars films to adapt many concepts/styles from this new film.

Although Guardians of the Galaxy wasn't some "super awesome" film. It was better than my initial expectations and that bodes well for Star Wars, imo.

It's supposed to be over-the-top.

At the same time, this over-the-top thing has gotten over-the-top. Action movies always had some scenes that were like that but it seems to've become so common place in movies these days I find it too much and distracting rather than a fun addition to an action style movie.

At the same time, this over-the-top thing has gotten over-the-top. Action movies always had some scenes that were like that but it seems to've become so common place in movies these days I find it too much and distracting rather than a fun addition to an action style movie.

Not every movie can or should be James Bond. A lot of the incorporation with CGI has allowed a sort of free form directive. I do agree with you, though. A lot of the old Star Wars movies had a lot more melancholy fight scenes than the newer ones, and I think the next installments will probably capitalize on what's been working out for Disney - it's just a staple with Disney to add stuff like that. Sort of a trademark, as if they 're saying, "Hey, we own this now too. See?"

I don't think Disney will do a bad job with it - I'm actually expecting the opposite. But I'm also prepared for the nonsense that will probably be included with the purchase of Lucasarts into a predominantly family oriented demographic.

Edited by imscared

Not sure 'General' is the right place for this, 'Off topic' is over that way ->

That said, 'Guardians of the Galaxy' is a good example that Disney isn't afraid to develop the more off the wall Marvel lines. They have been the guiding hand behind much of Marvel Entertainments revival and push with the phases of content. I've yet to watch GoG, it's lined up for next week, but all the doom and gloom of the effect Disney has on films is over rated.

As to JJ Abrams, go look up his body of work on IMDB, it's mostly TV series such as Alias, Lost and Fringe with a few big films under his belt (was Cloverfield big?, Mission Impossible 3, and the Star Treks). There's an interview of him somewhere where he says he loves sci fi because of watching Star Wars in his younger years.

Guardians of the galaxy looks like utter ****. That is just from watching all the trailers. If SW7 has trailers anything like that garbage, the franchise is over for me.

Looking at both user and critic reviews for Guardians of the Galaxy, it would appear the general consensus of the movie itself is opposite of your opinion based purely on previews.

Not saying your opinion is wrong (that would be silly of me), but GoG appears to already be a smashing critical success and I'd wager when we get the numbers from its opening weekend it'll be a financial success as well. We should hope for the new trilogy to have that in its future, regardless of the tone/style they choose to take.

Looking at both user and critic reviews for Guardians of the Galaxy, it would appear the general consensus of the movie itself is opposite of your opinion based purely on previews.

Not saying your opinion is wrong (that would be silly of me), but GoG appears to already be a smashing critical success and I'd wager when we get the numbers from its opening weekend it'll be a financial success as well. We should hope for the new trilogy to have that in its future, regardless of the tone/style they choose to take.

Well someone told me just the other week that Avengers was crap when I pointed out that Disney has done good with the Marvels franchise.

I guess it's inevetable that some people have different tastes, but what matters is what the majority thinks.

I mean, there are people who think the prequels are better than the originals... just think about that for a second.

I mean, there are people who think the prequels are better than the originals... just think about that for a second.

*Shivers*

Back on topic, I saw the movie on Saturday, and I'll be seeing it today. I thought it was a really good movie, and may actually be my new favorite Marvel movie.

That was a great movie, watched it Saturday myself with my dad, it was very very very good. The premise of these, selfish, imperfect people with nothing in common at all coming together to fight for a greater cause made for a great story. The use of all this great music from the 70's and 80's also gave it some good life that was a great creative decision to have that.

• 2 weeks later...
OMG! Thank you! My weekend was getting off to such a nasty beginng when I read the OP.

What you poknted out has saved not only my Saturday, but these very forums! You are a hero! Stand tall and keep playing the forum mod champion of justice. We need you.

You're welcome :cool: Oh, and look where the thread is now :eek:

Finally got to see 'Guardians of the Galaxy'

It's the closest film I've seen that could have been an 'Old Republic' test run.

The main villain was such an iconic Sith lord it's a good job Marvel Entertainment and Lucas Arts both fall under the Disney portfolio or else they'd have to sue each other for IP infringement ;)

I'll put some other observations under spoilers, you've been warned ;)

Nebula, the blue hench-woman, dual wielding extending batons that crackle with electricity, could have easily been a dark apprentice (oozed Asaj Ventress appeal)

Swap out the back story of the 'Infinity Stone' and call it a 'Rakata Infinity Stone' - I really pushed my imagination on that one ;)

Back to Ronan, the rebel Kree warlord, and put a giant light sabre in his hands, and you would be hard pushed to find a better example of a Sith Juggernaut. I even thought I recognised his chest piece ;)

Glenn Close, Nova Prime, leader of the Nova Corps, could have just as easily been Satele Shan, okay an older Satele Shan.

Some strange and interesting alien lifeforms while still resorting to coloured in humans for the romance interest... that couldn't be any more 'Old Republic' if it tried :p

And, for me, the best bit was Rocket, some thing small and furry that I could believe would be able to take down well trained Imperial troops.

Thought the film rocked, kept me entertained from the start to the end and made me feel like an 8 year old again (although I don't think I would have got the Blacklight reference when I was 8 ;) )