Developer Update: Class Changes and Balance in Game Update 1.4

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon!! This is ridiculous....the classes that were widely considered "OP" (Commandos/Mercs/Sages/Sorcs) were further buffed while the Infiltration/Deception & Scrapper/Concealment didnt get anything. Even worse, is that they admit the appeal of the "stealth killers" has diminished severely yet they did NOTHING to better their current situation. Can bioware get anything right?!?!? With each update, I lose more & more faith that the developers have any clue as to how to balance the class(es) & the class favoritism that existed has only been further put on display with each update they release. Way to go bioware, thanks for nothing. :mad:

Sorry, I don't understand your post at all.
The point is that BW claims that all classes are within 5 % dps but if you look at how the average sorc/sage performs it's pretty obvious that this isnt the case. Hence, the must be comparing the top sorcs/sages to average players from other classes for it to add up.

C'mon!! This is ridiculous....the classes that were widely considered "OP" (Commandos/Mercs/Sages/Sorcs) were further buffed while the Infiltration/Deception & Scrapper/Concealment didnt get anything. Even worse, is that they admit the appeal of the "stealth killers" has diminished severely yet they did NOTHING to better their current situation. Can bioware get anything right?!?!? With each update, I lose more & more faith that the developers have any clue as to how to balance the class(es) & the class favoritism that existed has only been further put on display with each update they release. Way to go bioware, thanks for nothing. :mad:
Are you still stuck back in January 2012 or something? Edited by MidichIorian

Overall I like the changes. Some notes though (all from a PvP perspective):

I really like that the in my opinion three weakest DPS classes in the game (Operative, Sorcerer, Mercenary) are three of the classes you focused on, and in my opinion all of them got a slight buff overall, however I feel like like it will still not be enough, in particular since the few overpowered specs remain completely unchanged.

For now I remain hopeful that your plan is to first see how these changes play out, then do some adjustments to the overpowered specs.

I don't think that it's a coincidence that the three weakest DPS classes in the game are all three classes who also can spec into being healers, so to me it seems as though you are putting far too much weight on their healing capabilities when they are in DPS spec. The current healing abilities just are not that useful when in combat because they take too long to cast, can too easily be interrupted, and the somewhat low amount they heal for make the time and risk most often not worth taking.

With this in mind, I was really happy to see the change to Tracer Lock. I feel like significantly reducing the cast time on Healing Scan will actually turn it into a usable ability. Hopefully this will be something you keep doing going forward, also to the other two classes.

The changes to the Sneak ability seem great. It's versatile, cooldown is not too long, it's not without it's weaknesses (ranged classes can still take control), and in the talent tree it's exactly where I wanted it, deep enough in the Concealment for it to be out of reach for healers. This sounds like almost exactly what I wanted!

Edited by Rassuro

The point is that BW claims that all classes are within 5 % dps but if you look at how the average sorc/sage performs it's pretty obvious that this isnt the case. Hence, the must be comparing the top sorcs/sages to average players from other classes for it to add up.

I see. I'm always lowest DPS on our raids. I'm not the perfect player, but neither are the other 3 DPS, and 85% of the time I'm lowest. It's not like madness is a difficult rotation or my gear is bad either.

Edited by MilanoChris

An interrupt will be nice, I guess, and I get the Electro Dart thing, but no knockback on Rocket Punch?! I LIVE on that in Huttball! D: So Powertechs can just yank people into fire, but I can't even luck out and punch someone into one anymore unless I use my long-cooldown Jet Boost?

THIS.

What in the world? Like, really. A snare on the Commando would be nice, but not in exchange for the knockback on Rocket Punch/Stockstrike!

I don't use Stockstrike to keep people away from me. I use it to put people into acid pits, fire traps, knock them off ledges in Huttball to deny scoring and position, etc. A snare instead of a knockback removes that very critical utility that a Commando has, one of their very few utility-based skills from Stockstrike, leaving them with exactly one skill to position the enemy, and on a very long cooldown.

Like MariaD said no love for the juggy tank? I mean assassin tanks are gettin all the love i mean stealth,cc,force sprint 3% endurance boost they get all the cool stuff i mean tanks didnt really benefit nothing on 1.3 maybe give us something like some moves to decrease damage taken or even a cc ability or heck an endurance boost ability would be cool. seems like all these updates are benfitting the pvp players but not the pve players. I could be wrong but thats how I feel im lvl 50 campaign/black hole tank and some new abilities that actually benefit me controling multiple mobs besides a 6 second aoe taunt would be nice i mean yeah smash stacks but people still pull your aggro unless your focused on just that person. would be nice to have better threat generators

don t know want class your playing but my fully geared sorc with all campiagn with 1054 bonus damage

does great damage

stop crying .

And a decent mara/merc/PT will out DPS you.

1020 odd bonus damage, I do great DPS, but still lagging behind.

I'm not crying, typical forum big boy reply. :rolleyes:

I'm completely sick of this BS.

In the 9 months I've been playing this game, every patch and update has been PvP focused. I am paying to play an MMO in a Star Wars universe. Not run around warzones repeatedly and mindlessly killing other players. There are already too many games out there for this. Why waste the Star Wars IP on PvP?

Bioware has wasted any chance they had at making an enduring Star Wars MMO my squandering this first year So many people have left over lack of content, and all we get are PvP balance and more warzones...

Seriously, I'm done. Back to real life for me...

truth, and horrid pvp balances at that.

For the most part, I like the changes announced here. The overload change kind of concerns me, although giving it a 15 meter range sounds cool. Other changes seem great, especially the assassin buffs, looking forward to trying them out. However, I hope this won't be all the balance changes you plan to make for 1.4. Edited by magicfrek

I don't know whether the topic of AP Powertechs has come up, nor do I care if any of you care, but here goes.

I would like to see a increase in elemental damage to get a bit closer to the dps output of the Pyrotechs. Having played both Pyro and AP in PVE and PVP it seems that AP is the only broken talent tree for the Powertech AC. Pyros do more damage consistently in PVP and can light up mobs in PVE very easily whereas APs struggle to keep up (in PVP, in PVE however APs can do a decent amount of damage).

To resolve this i think APs should be given an extra 5% elemental and internal damage when they spec prototype cylinder ventilation, that means 2.5% per point. That should be enough to increase the output and make playing AP more fun. That will bring the total increase for elemental and internal damage to 10%.

Also, it would be wicked awesome if grapple had a 1 second root without having to talent it under shieldtech. I don't know anyone in real life that can get grapple and still run away. That doesn't make much sense. Make it real[er] yo. And please bring back the old shieldtech trees, i miss Ironfist spec.

Anything else they change doesn't bother me.

In the 9 months I've been playing this game, every patch and update has been PvP focused. I am paying to play an MMO in a Star Wars universe. Not run around warzones repeatedly and mindlessly killing other players. There are already too many games out there for this. Why waste the Star Wars IP on PvP?

Bioware has wasted any chance they had at making an enduring Star Wars MMO my squandering this first year So many people have left over lack of content, and all we get are PvP balance and more warzones...

I agree but since they aren't doing anything big in terms of post lvl 50 yet, they are stalling with PvP to prevent more people from leaving. Hopefully with an increased level cap they will bring more content. But i'm still not giving up and saying i'm done with this game. I still have hope.

PvE had been perfectly fine if BW actually had tweaked the things the PvP'ers are asking for. But they're not, they're doing the exact opposite and in this case they're actually changing things that no PvP has ever complained about. If anything I'd say that the game has lost more avid PvP'ers than PvE'ers, based on the fact that PvP Q pops are taking a long time despite that we havent reached critical mass yet.

I rarely post on these forums but some post made my brain bleed...

For one, guardians and juggs have 1 pish back that needs to to direct yourself towards an enemy and aim where you want them to go.

Takes work but then again a game should be equal to all players, so even sages.

Then i saw this

yet again the guardians have been left out of the cc skill family, how much longer will it be before you give us a cc?

I play guardian, dispite its DPS nerf to no end, i love it.. so here goes it, you are the CC! : Stasis, hilt strike, Awe, force push.

Just learn to play yours class properly.

Another really annoying thing about this Overload change is fighting stealthers.

I'm in a fight against a class that can instant stealth, which means I know they are going to try to backstab me in the next few seconds. Well, I use overload and I can run away and knock them out of stealth........Which now I cannot do because I have to guess where they are since they are in stealth and hope I'm facing them (which is unlikely since they are trying to backstab me....so by definition they will be behind me). Oh wait, I got a 30-second modest self heal.....no that's not going to help me when I get backstabbed again, nowhere near as much as a 360-degree overload that could knock people out of stealth and root them.

BTW, if you want to fix resolve, do this: Make resolve fill FASTER (not slower, duh) if stunned/mezzed, but don't let resolve stack if the player is already stunned, another stun at the same time doesn't increase resolve. That way un-coordinated teams that mis-fire CC don't fill up the resolve faster than a coordinated team, but because each stun/mez results in more resolve than before, you are unlikely to suffer more than 2 stuns or 2 mez before you get full resolve. As it stands now, I'm going to get stunned and mezzed over and over before it finally fills up, which means I'm dead. The only time my resolve is full as a sorc is when I'm standing in the respawn area. Think about it.

Aww man, I wish the rocket punch stun worked for powertechs as well, although the 10 meter range on electro dart isn't too bad since I'm usually close up as a pyro anyways...

yeah but I find the 10m range on electro dart amusing for arsenal spec since that is the big range spec...I guess they don't want us keeping that distance between the insane melee pvp dps...so 10m I can cast my stun, do 1 unload, a RS, and a HSM before I die