Enough with the skimpy gear already.

GrimAce

That's because there is nothing to fix. People like you just exaggerate because you don't like what others like.

Look at the last cartel pack for example. Why cartel packs? Well because that's where the vast majority of all moddable gear comes from.

So let's look at the opportunist's bounty back: http://dulfy.net/2013/11/12/swtor-opportunists-bounty-pack-contents/

Look at it. How much of this is too skimpy? I dare say none of it.

Then let's take the one before it. The Tracker's bounty pack. http://dulfy.net/2013/10/15/swtor-trackers-bounty-pack-contents/

Look at it. Two dancer outfits and another that you could argue. And 8 that are not.

Honestly, the vast majority of gear that comes out is not skimpy at all. If you think you see too many skimpy outfits around you from other player's characters. Well, then that means that you are in a minority and you don't get to dictate what others can and cannot wear. You don't have that right.

And no, I don't use skimpy outfits much myself. Hardly at all. But the fact is that the vast majority of gear that comes out is not skimpy and therefore you are simply talking nonesense. If you think there's too much of it on the fleet then you simply need to realise that a lot of people will choose that sort of thing even when there are other options.

Sorry but you don't get to impose your morals on others. I think BW has done enough to allow you to dress up the way you want as much as others get their choices. If you are not tolerant of other people's choices in that you shouldn't play an MMO. It's a given that you'll run into a lot of people who don't share your standards, whatever they may be.

Aaaaand this is why I should have started my own thread. (And did, elsewhere. Link above.)

I do NOT think there are too many skimpy outfits. They aren't for me, but whatever. I do not think there are too many modest outfits. This has NOTHING to do with morals.

Find one shirt in game with no attachments or necklaces but a V-neck. Aspiring knight is close... but the leg things. Mira's is close (I've heard some say it's ****** wear, but I don't think it's so bad), but it has that necklace. It's a simple request.

(Sorry to continue on the necro thread btw. Just had to answer that. *eyeroll*) ;)

Edited by chibiseira

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, I know back early on post release there was an outcry for more 'sexy' gear (for males especially), and it's awesome that you guys are listening to community demands, but enough is enough.

We've gotten to the point where this stuff is seriously oversaturated, and introducing more items of a similar nature - or a different colour - just isn't worth it right now. And on the rare occasion we do get a new model for armor involving even an inch of exposed flesh, it's way too excessive. Where are simple low-cut tops, or v-neck shirts? Maybe even just a tunic with short sleeves, or a halter top look chestpiece instead? We're not all hormonal 13 year olds, but more variety can be done with showing skin then what we've currently got, and in more creative ways that might actually find some circulation in the in-game market. 15 odd pages of dancer's gear pieces should be indicative that we're just not interested in any more of this gear right now - there's no demand for it.

It's simple. If you don't like this "skimpy" gear. Don't buy or wear it. If other people want it and use it, what business is it of yours? You'd rather inflict YOUR esthetic on the rest of the populace? Talk about childish...time to grow up and face the real world where other people like different things than you.

Every new cartel pack has armor for all types of people. Most all the Raid/PVP based armor is NOT "skimpy" at all. So, you are exaggerating greatly. Maybe 8 or so sets of dancers/skimpy gear TOTAL in the game. Your really going off the tracks here buddy.

There is tons of types and styles of armor in this game. Granted, in my opinion 90% of it is ugly, but that is the nature of diversity.

Edited by DarthVengeant

Aaaaand this is why I should have started my own thread. (And did, elsewhere. Link above.)

I do NOT think there are too many skimpy outfits. They aren't for me, but whatever. I do not think there are too many modest outfits. This has NOTHING to do with morals.

Find one shirt in game with no attachments or necklaces but a V-neck. Aspiring knight is close... but the leg things. Mira's is close (I've heard some say it's ****** wear, but I don't think it's so bad), but it has that necklace. It's a simple request.

(Sorry to continue on the necro thread btw. Just had to answer that. *eyeroll*) ;)

Yeh, next time you necro a thread, try to necro a thread that's actually about what you want to post about. The OP and title are clear enough I would think and what you want to talk about is clearly not the same thing.

Well there is that I suppose. I do wonder what BW has to balance in this entire equation though. I sometimes thing that even though it's not fair they do have to consider certain traditional views as to not to get too much flack. And where do you draw the line.

What exactly do you expect to happen?

All I ask is that Bioware removed arbitrary gender restrictions on the current gendered gear - that applies for the single piece of male-only armour we have, as well (which, incidentally, has reskins that female characters can wear.)

"certain traditional views"? You're playing a game that's in space, with non-humans in positions of power, as well as women and people of colour. If anyone was going to be offended by this game, they'd would have done so already and left. In fact, after Makeb dropped, I think some did (or they were banned.)

And prejudice? I've already expanded on this point, multiple times, I will not be drawn into needlessly repeating myself for your amusement.

What exactly do you expect to happen?

All I ask is that Bioware removed arbitrary gender restrictions on the current gendered gear - that applies for the single piece of male-only armour we have, as well (which, incidentally, has reskins that female characters can wear.)

Oh is that all? You make it sound as if it's nothing. Sadly as we all know it's never that simple. I wish it was but I am realistic enough to realise it isn't that simple. But that aside, it's just something I wonder about because lots of people here are so involved in what they want that they have no concept of what these issues might entail for BW. I don't have the answer to the question but I find it distasteful that you sit on your high horse and just assume the world must change for you, without you taking the slightest interest in what BW's situation is in that. You have your judgements so easily made and yet you are upset that other people have judgements about same gender stuff. That's just being a bad advocate for your own ideals. I personally have absolutely no problem with same gender elements, but I do try to take into account that for BW such issues are not as simple as throwing a switch.

"certain traditional views"? You're playing a game that's in space, with non-humans in positions of power, as well as women and people of colour. If anyone was going to be offended by this game, they'd would have done so already and left. In fact, after Makeb dropped, I think some did (or they were banned.)

Playing a Star Wars game made by George Lucas who never touched same gender stuff and changed episode IV so Greedo shot first out of some moral regret he got at a later age. Of course traditional views are in play. I may not like that but again, it's not realistic to discount traditional views people have since the entire player base ...surprising as it may be to you... but yes the ENTIRE player base are human beings that live on the planet Earth.

And prejudice? I've already expanded on this point, multiple times, I will not be drawn into needlessly repeating myself for your amusement.

This isn't for my amusement. You are rash in your conclusions and I find it disappointing that you judge me so. This has absolutely nothing to do with my amusement. In fact I am one of the people who was always for same gender relationships in this game. I am a male heterosexual but I play female characters and wish I could have romances with female companions.

Don't mistake my lack of blind idealism for being against same gender relationship. I am just saying that it's ok to be a bit more realistic and a bit more understanding towards a company like BW who do, to a degree, have to consider consequences of their choices. People already call Makeb the "gay planet", just because there are some flirt options. It's ridiculous, but that doesn't mean these reactions don't exist.

I'm aware that it requires creating the armour and making sure it doesn't bug dramatically (though the current armours do - skin clips through the slave and dancer bottoms a lot, there are skin colour light bugs with the Relaxed Vestments, skirts clip through legs, all that sort of thing) and that doing so takes time, but I'm not saying that Bioware have to make an all-new range of 'one of a kind' haute-couture For Men range.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean about my "high horse" or "judgements", you'll have to explain those to me.

I wasn't commenting on same-gender romances, but rather on the issue of having subservient and ostensibly sexualised armours as being 'female-only', when put into the wider context of the game and the position of women within it (and certainly the industry, if we want to include that), rather than being unrestricted armour. Other games have done unrestricted skimped/sexualised armour, admittedly those are usually from launch and part of the design ethos, rather than something brought in after the fact.

Whoo, humans play this game? Not all 'traditional views' are the same thing? Are we using traditional views as another word for heteronormative? I don't... I want to be sure we're using the same language here and can actually understand each other, because I think I'm misinterpreting everything you say. Because I'm really starting to get the vibe that I disgust you.

I'm aware that it requires creating the armour and making sure it doesn't bug dramatically (though the current armours do - skin clips through the slave and dancer bottoms a lot, there are skin colour light bugs with the Relaxed Vestments, skirts clip through legs, all that sort of thing) and that doing so takes time, but I'm not saying that Bioware have to make an all-new range of 'one of a kind' haute-couture For Men range.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean about my "high horse" or "judgements", you'll have to explain those to me.

I wasn't commenting on same-gender romances, but rather on the issue of having subservient and ostensibly sexualised armours as being 'female-only', when put into the wider context of the game and the position of women within it (and certainly the industry, if we want to include that), rather than being unrestricted armour. Other games have done unrestricted skimped/sexualised armour, admittedly those are usually from launch and part of the design ethos, rather than something brought in after the fact.

Whoo, humans play this game? Not all 'traditional views' are the same thing? Are we using traditional views as another word for heteronormative? I don't... I want to be sure we're using the same language here and can actually understand each other, because I think I'm misinterpreting everything you say. Because I'm really starting to get the vibe that I disgust you.

Listen, misunderstandings happen a lot on forums, but your comments seemed more aggressive towards me than needed.

The trick is that the fact that you want something, doesn't make it simple. It's not just the programming but the reality that if a game goes too far in a certain directions there will be negative reactions. There are armours already that allow male characters to walk around bare chested and everything.

But you want dancer dresses for male characters apparently. This will make SWTOR the "drag queen" game in the eyes of the media and I think it may be a step too far for a number of players. It may be my misunderstanding but a man in a dress is something that is associated more with the gay community and therefore my link to same gender stuff. It's a larger issue if you will. Bioware have to consider the feelings and opinions of all player groups and some are larger than others. Now Bioware has already shown their resolve in games like DA and ME and let it be but those games are not MMOs but I am sure they have to consider the fact that they have agreements with Lucasarts about the use of the Star Wars name and what's ok and what isn't ok for that franchise. Also they don't want to make decision that will cost them too many players.

You seem to think that it shouldn't matter and therefore it doesn't matter what other people think. Now I agree with the first part. I also think it shouldn't matter but I know it does matter, sad as it is.

I just got little upset at you because you used comments like "for your amusement". In English that's not a neutral statement.

Listen, misunderstandings happen a lot on forums, but your comments seemed more aggressive towards me than needed.

The trick is that the fact that you want something, doesn't make it simple. It's not just the programming but the reality that if a game goes too far in a certain directions there will be negative reactions. There are armours already that allow male characters to walk around bare chested and everything.

But you want dancer dresses for male characters apparently. This will make SWTOR the "drag queen" game in the eyes of the media and I think it may be a step too far for a number of players. It may be my misunderstanding but a man in a dress is something that is associated more with the gay community and therefore my link to same gender stuff. It's a larger issue if you will. Bioware have to consider the feelings and opinions of all player groups and some are larger than others. Now Bioware has already shown their resolve in games like DA and ME and let it be but those games are not MMOs but I am sure they have to consider the fact that they have agreements with Lucasarts about the use of the Star Wars name and what's ok and what isn't ok for that franchise. Also they don't want to make decision that will cost them too many players.

You seem to think that it shouldn't matter and therefore it doesn't matter what other people think. Now I agree with the first part. I also think it shouldn't matter but I know it does matter, sad as it is.

I just got little upset at you because you used comments like "for your amusement". In English that's not a neutral statement.

Fair enough. I hadn't realised that the "dress" factor was such an issues, given the the way robes are designed in this game. However, I might also add that the dancer gear isn't dresses, but that's by-the-by. As it is, because of my understanding of what the Slave and Dancer gears are, I hadn't realised that people would automatically associate them as being "drag" for male characters (again, I don't see anything wrong with that.)

You're right in saying that I probably haven't been regarding opposition opinions as much as might have been, largely due to the fact that I'm heavily stuck on the idea of "optional" being just that - people don't have to wear it if they don't want to, I wouldn't have thought that making the gear genderless would cause any lasting, or significant, derision.

I can't speak for how Mr. Lucas and Disney* would feel about having sexualised clothing for men in their franchise, nor can I speculate on whether it would be detrimental to Bioware's playerbase to introduce it (like I said, I'm of the mind that creating such gear as an option would be rather neutrally received, but what do I know, I'm no statistician.)

Also, I apologise for the "amusement" remark - I'm used to, when posting about these things outside of the Story and Lore boards, getting trolled or outright yelled at, for commenting on certain problematic elements of the game, and how it can still feel very "boys club" at times.

*I'm pretty sure Disney dissolved LucasArts when the Star Wars franchise was purchased, hence the ending of Clone Wars and the development of 1313

Er actually it is YOUR*....YOU'RE would be an abbreviation of YOU ARE, therefore the sentence would read, 'that is YOU ARE opinion'.....which is of course wrong....If you are going to troll with the grammar police...at least get it right lol.......nothing else to see here...move along :)

It's not an abbreviation of "you are." It's a contraction of "you are." Grammar police either need to--

1. Have a few beers

2. Read some Noam Chomsky

3. Learn grammar

Without the ability to dress up your jedi/sith like a stripper, the RP servers would be ghost towns within a week.

This doesn't even make sense. RPers tend to actually dress the way the character they're playing would dress whereas many raiders and PVPers wear the silliest outfits possible.

I just want armor that doesn't have lopsided and WoW shoulders. I still don't know why Inquisitors even need space ships.

well... Palpatine had one so that he could get around the galaxy in his quest for power and encounter corruptible jedi faster. its just transportation (and for my sorc - a place to store artifacts and perform scientific experiments, away from prying eyes and all too curious ears of other Sith - easier to make sure that the ship is secure, vs headquarters in Dromund Kaas or Korriban)

that said, giant shoulders amuse me in all the wrong ways :p

But you want dancer dresses for male characters apparently. This will make SWTOR the "drag queen" game in the eyes of the media and I think it may be a step too far for a number of players. It may be my misunderstanding but a man in a dress is something that is associated more with the gay community and therefore my link to same gender stuff. It's a larger issue if you will. Bioware have to consider the feelings and opinions of all player groups and some are larger than others.

*Shrug* We have dresses for men in the game, and not only the classical robes, but for example the elegant dress, the genteel dress and even a miniskirt (which has a bug where it sprouts unnecessary leggins on male characters). I just was in a flashpoint with a male knight who nevertheless looked rather cute in it.

So far the sky has refused to fall, the american christian right failed to have one million moms campaign against it and the outcries of unsettled gamers about this unmanly style of clothing eluded me. It may be that the feelings and opinions of your implied large player groups aren't that easily upset.

Edited by drakensang

we need a skin tight black jumpsuit so i can make a female cathar assassin and name her Cathwoman. oh yes.

If you dye this one black/black and use the waist from this, you should be pretty close. Maybe with the head from this one, for really impressive cat ears. :p

None of it is remotely skimpy though. And my guys still have to keep their legs chastly covered in mild tython weather and overheated space stations.

Edited by drakensang

I would have to agree with the OP on this one. Instead of cool armor I am starting to see an increasing number of skimpy outfits that make my character look like Magic Mike. You can only do so many variants that make you have no shirt, I hope their running out of them. Not to insult people who like those things or anything.

Interesting topic. My two cents on the subject is that its rather sexist.

Skimpy gear for women, but nothing for men, not even something showing a shoulder comes off as a bit awkward. I wouldn't say seeing women in skimpy gear is over saturated, but it is loosing their appeal. I remember when I first saw it, I was like that's really dope. Now its like kind of lame, being that my companion Risha looks extremely awesome in white and brown arctic type gear, wondering what kind of Republic player would subject their female companion to such harsh environmental conditions dressed like a dance slave for Jabba eons later. It takes away from the realism.

In my opinion, skimpy gear development should stop entirely until the Cantinas are finished, where the Pazaak tables work and you could actually sit down on the chairs you see, etc, etc with added features like buying drinks and getting drunk (where your skills and stats are lowered) forcing you to hang out until you sober up and Cantina brawls. That's when the skimpy gear should be made available - and to be fair for our female gamers and the male players who want to see it we should definitely have skimpy gear for male toons. The 1960's died along time ago. The gender bias in sci fi was tackled and handled in the 70's and by 2013 we shouldn't be at the level we're at. I guess we have regressed in our state of mass consciousness.

That's my opinion on skimpy gear on female toons. If its going to be done, do it right. I want to play STRIP PAZAAK in some random Cantina on Hutta with a Female player who wants to see some leg and abs. Or else, how am I going to play Pazaak with a female gamer if I got nothing to offer? I ask to please fix the gender bias and to please finish the Cantinas.

Edited by HiddenPalm

If you dye this one black/black and use the waist from this, you should be pretty close. Maybe with the head from this one, for really impressive cat ears. :p

None of it is remotely skimpy though. And my guys still have to keep their legs chastly covered in mild tython weather and overheated space stations.

Hahahaha, if this ever gets done, I so want to see screenshots.

The variety of clothing in this game is one of it's biggest strengths in my opinion. Keep coming with all types of outfits. I think the fact that you can mix and match, dye, etc is a very powerful customization feature that is slowly getting better all the time. I don't mind the skimpy or the covered up look, the powerful, the plain, they all belong, as they allow player freedom and expression. Bring it all on!

In fact this is one of the major reasons I like this game.