The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Well, stupid is a large category. There are plenty of ways to die stupidly, we're categorizing them in this thread. :p

My issues wasn't so much with the lack of healing, as much as someone specifying a role they couldn't or wouldn't fulfill. In that scenario, they queued as a healer because their AC has a heal tree. He wasn't specced for anything with healing, his gear wasn't optimized for healing, he knew schtupp-all about his class' healing abilities, and he didn't do the role he was called upon to fill to make people's lives easier. Specifying Healer, trying to jump the DPS line, for KDY is pointless. I pity groups that get him as a healer in a real FP. Besides, there's less downtime throwing a few heals than there is dying and running back in, or wiping on a boss and having to restart it.

During fight healing is good but healers should stop healing between fights so dps starts to learn to regen their own HP. In addition it doesn't really help tank to keep high pace throughout the FP because as a tank you have to monitor healers HP/resource levels at all times.

Just did KDY with my Vanguard. Haven't played that character for a very long time and guess what happens. Everyone starts to run ahead and don't wait for me to regen before next pull. So apparently DDs and healers think they can tank everything. Did I fill my role (I was tagged as "tank")? I tried...

Just did KDY with my Vanguard. Haven't played that character for a very long time and guess what happens. Everyone starts to run ahead and don't wait for me to regen before next pull. So apparently DDs and healers think they can tank everything. Did I fill my role (I was tagged as "tank")? I tried...

It appears that its very rare that tanks are allowed to perform their role in any of the tactical flashpoints. I always change spec on my powertech and queue as DPS for these now, they are just too painful to try to tank, especially given the number of maratanks in group finder.

Ppl running away without resting after battles is the main reason I switched my Operative from healer to mid tree dps. :o Especially at low lvl, energy/heat/force management is bad for healers. Forcing them to heal when you have a way to do it yourself can actually make them unable to keep the team up during fights, and the fact ppl tends to blame you for that both if you don't heal them during fights because you wasted resources before AND if you save those resources for fights can be quite discouraging... :( But I wanted to learn something about healing too, so I made myself a merc healer. Reason I chose that class? Healing for no heat via rapid shot. So, no blame for not healing between fights - a kinda common issue for me, that happened quite often - and the ability to heal during fights using resources. Tbh I wish ppl would wonder why some, if not most healers struggle to keep ppl up when they behave that way, but I guess that's too much to ask for... :(

Well, stupid is a large category. There are plenty of ways to die stupidly, we're categorizing them in this thread. :p

My issues wasn't so much with the lack of healing, as much as someone specifying a role they couldn't or wouldn't fulfill. In that scenario, they queued as a healer because their AC has a heal tree. He wasn't specced for anything with healing, his gear wasn't optimized for healing, he knew schtupp-all about his class' healing abilities, and he didn't do the role he was called upon to fill to make people's lives easier. Specifying Healer, trying to jump the DPS line, for KDY is pointless. I pity groups that get him as a healer in a real FP. Besides, there's less downtime throwing a few heals than there is dying and running back in, or wiping on a boss and having to restart it.

thing about KDY is that unless you specifically remember to deselect one of the roles - it always ALWAYS places you as tank or healer, regardless of your actual spec. even if its ends up being 3 tanks 1 healer combo, when in reality 2 of the tanks are specced full dps, as is "healer". I wish they used whatever system they have for ranked pvp instead (where it selects your role based on whatever tree you have the most talent points in)

i was on my sith inquisitor sorc healing my first FP

had like 2 heals

we wipe on the first fight cause mobs are attacking me and the tank

tells mepay attention to me and dont fight.

I told him pay attention to me i died first and iwas ONLY healing.

the rest of the FP went similar but the dps did there nest to keep mobs off me and i kept anyone alive that helped me.

tank at last boss says to me keep my back and i reply as long as you keep mine.

long story short he never bothered keeping aggro pn more than 1 enemy never pulled anyone off me.

i died at final boss but i had kept everyone up to full health we finished the fight withouta wipe.

The DPS told the tank you let the healwr die again good job!

other FPs ive done this hasnt happened

i was on my sith inquisitor sorc healing my first FP

had like 2 heals

we wipe on the first fight cause mobs are attacking me and the tank

tells mepay attention to me and dont fight.

I told him pay attention to me i died first and iwas ONLY healing.

the rest of the FP went similar but the dps did there nest to keep mobs off me and i kept anyone alive that helped me.

tank at last boss says to me keep my back and i reply as long as you keep mine.

long story short he never bothered keeping aggro pn more than 1 enemy never pulled anyone off me.

i died at final boss but i had kept everyone up to full health we finished the fight withouta wipe.

The DPS told the tank you let the healwr die again good job!

other FPs ive done this hasnt happened

Perfect example of poor tanking. I wish you not to find more from now on, because healing is already tough as it is, without having to compensate for others. :o

Haha I've been stuck in a tree on that fight too :p

Trees OP Nerf PLZ

I have a funny story about the Vrblther fight too. I queued up for a HM flashpoint on my somewhat undergeared merc healer (now that I'm leveling up alts and doing them for the nth time I like to do it a bit undergeared as a challenge, but that's not the point of the story, just some necessary background).

Anyway, I zone in, and three guys from the same guild are standing there, not moving. They're right at the start still (I never found out what happened to the previous healer and am slightly worried). I type in chat "is anyone there"? They're all decently geared, and in 72 or better. Apparently they had been talking in guild chat / on voice and eventually the tank says "I'm not sure you can keep me up." I tell them I've done this a bunch of times and think I'm up for it and to give it a go. They say okay provisionally and off we go.

We get to the first boss shortly after, Vrblther first. The tank headed toward the Duneclaw, but turned around at the suggestion of a guildie I assume (this factors into my suspicions in the paragraph below). Tank pulls and here's what happens:

They have some funny business of starting up on these rocks. Then the tank pulls and I start healing. Then all of a sudden, the boss is on me and the tank isn't doing anything. I heal my *** off for what feels like forever but was probably more like 10-15 seconds. During this time I've concluded that they're trolling me and have decided to foist the boss on me, wipe me, and are then going to kick me. (My thinking included, beyond what's here: The tank is a shadow and could theoretically stealth out, they decided to do this boss first at the last moment, maybe they kicked the 1st healer and had had enough of dealing with undergeared folks and were teaching me a lesson, etc etc.)

Dropping threat doesn't help. I blow everything (relic, insta-cast, free-cast, supercharged, vent heat, medpac, kolto overload, the works) and am barely alive and finally the tank takes him back. I'm a bit behind for the rest of the fight, but somehow we manage.

I'm surprised by this recovery and ask what was going on in the beginning. Turns out the tank just got stuck in the rocks and couldn't do anything! The dps were knocked back or something and didn't get much on the boss in the beginning (or maybe the click thing didn't hit the vrblther), which is why they didn't have threat I suppose. Turns out they are in fact nice guys and we have a swell time the rest of the flashpoint.

Edited by cxten

I'm surprised by this recovery and ask what was going on in the beginning. Turns out the tank just got stuck in the rocks and couldn't do anything! The dps were knocked back or something and didn't get much on the boss in the beginning (or maybe the click thing didn't hit the vrblther), which is why they didn't have threat I suppose. Turns out they are in fact nice guys and we have a swell time the rest of the flashpoint.

I'm calling bulls**t, not on you cxten, on Dps not having threat at all on boss, a spamble free attack should have taken aggro of you and on to one of the dps, nice guys or not, crap thing to do.

I'm calling bulls**t, not on you cxten, on Dps not having threat at all on boss, a spamble free attack should have taken aggro of you and on to one of the dps, nice guys or not, crap thing to do.

It was a while ago so I don't recall exactly what happened, but I definitely had threat for a while. I'm not sure exactly why. If the Vrblther didn't have the spores on him, my hps, even undergeared, could've been more than double their dps (you do very little dps if the spores miss, but I forget the multiplier). I don't actually remember the spores missing though. Maybe they did decide to troll me and just lied about it afterwards.

It's also possible he switched to a dps at some point in there after being on me, before the tank took him back. I do recall having to heal up the dps too, but I'm not sure if that was just from aoe or if one of them had aggro at some point.

Anyway, whether I misremember part or not the short version is: Tank didn't have aggro, I healed all out and thought he was trolling me, turns out he was just stuck on the geometry.

[On another topic, when there's just one mob so the healer's threat isn't split, spamming a free attack shouldn't quite be enough to take it off the healer if there is enough damage taken so the heals are all effective. The healer could easliy be doing twice the free attack damage in heals.]

Edited by cxten

eHPS gen 50% threat, mind you not HPS, you having threat for more then about 2 seconds, with anything coming from dps is unlikely.

35k eHPS x 2 * 50%(say you h2f, twice :D) is still roughly 35k eHPS.

While any awake Dps is genning 100% threat per attack, and putting out in a HM FP 35k damage in the same amount of time it takes you to make 35k eHPS is... IDK...

The numbers I'm using are nowhere near accurate, just making a point.

And the 35k is overgeared, grossly so, for a HM FP.

Anyway I'm done throwing numbers about, please more funny stories :D

Edited by toha

Anyway I'm done throwing numbers about, please more funny stories :D

Yeah let's leave this. :) As to the story, I guess one further possibility is that the tank called out in voice chat "I'm stuck" and the dps stopped doing anything. Anyway, I don't really know, but it's not necessary for the story!

Edited by cxten

On tonight's episode of Ramsay's Tanking Nightmares...

Queue on my commando, get slotted as heals for HM Czerka Core Meltdown. DPS are Sentinels (Combat and Watchman), pretty well-geared. Tank is a Guardian (always cause for alarm when dealing with the Enhanced Duneclaw) with 28k health.

I inspect the tank's gear in between packs of trash mobs and see that he's wearing a mix of Guardian DPS and Guardian tanking gear...except for his pants, which are Smuggler DPS gear (medium armor with Cunning) and his implants, one of which is Cunning with DPS stats and the other of which is Aim with tanking stats. I also see that he's not using any tank abilities: no taunts, no guard, no buffs coming up from Guardian Slash or Riposte or Blade Storm. Needless to say, the Sents are pulling aggro off him about three seconds in to every fight. The tank, for his part, apologizes in advance for his lag and tells us he's never been in this FP before.

We get to the Duneclaw's room. I'm explaining in chat to the tank that even level 48 greens will do more for him than gear with the wrong mainstat, and that even though I'm up for giving the FP a try because the rest of the group is good he's really not geared for this content, and that he should go run dailies to get better gear. I'm just outside the door. While I'm in the middle of my explanation I see the tank activate the panel, pulling the boss and locking me outside. I shout "GUYS YOU LOCKED OUT THE HEALER", the other guys wipe it up, and I vote to kick the tank. He swears at us and drops group.

One of the Sentinels comments that that guy HAD to have been the worst player ever in this game. I was about to reply that I had run with worse when I realized that I, in fact, had not. Luckily we all have a sense of humor about it so we requeue for another tank.

Enter the Shadow tank. When he ports in I see that he also only has 28k health, but I'm willing to deal with undergeared people if they're not aggressively bad. I check his gear and see that he's wearing DPS gear. He's also in Force Technique (Balance) but the buffs coming up on him demonstrate that he's specced for Infiltration. I tell him to respec. He responds with "I tank?" and switches to Combat Technique. Doesn't switch gear, doesn't respec, just swaps to a tanking stance and charges in. The following is an approximate reproduction of the chatlog:

[Commando]: nononononononono

[sentinel 1]: lolololololol

[sentinel 2]: ***

[Commando]: oh lawd

and with that the shadow starts taking huge damage due to not being specced for tanking, causing me to have to spam-heal him, and then keeps the boss right in the center during the sandstorm. The Sents and I are pretty much laughing so hard we're crying. We wipe it up, and the Shadow takes his leave of the group with the parting shot of "...I dps".

But yeah, after about 5 minutes in the queue we actually got a good tank and we finished the run without any deaths.

Queue on my commando, get slotted as heals for HM Czerka Core Meltdown. DPS are Sentinels (Combat and Watchman), pretty well-geared. Tank is a Guardian (always cause for alarm when dealing with the Enhanced Duneclaw) with 28k health.

And this attitude is exactly why I plan to grind credits for 72/78 dps gear because "tank with less than 35k HP is undergeared". Shouldn't take that long. Mods are cheap 5-7 million each.

Tactical flashpoints and "minimum gear reqs". :rolleyes:

Edited by Halinalle

About "minimum gear requirements", another story came to my mind.

A couple of weeks ago, a guildie of mine needed a tank for a 55 HM FP, but most of our ppl on at that time were busy on DF, including the only 55 tanks except me. I was on a lowbie alt at that time, and hearing from my guildie that the healer caused 3 (!) tanks to quit and hearing they were on the 1st boss on Mando Raiders, I decided to have a look at the guy myself. So, logged my guardian tank with 66-69 gear, mostly 69, 72 bracers and 78 belt, and got sent right there through gf. Well, I greet ppl, the other dps is relieved. The healer not so much: apparently, being in full 78 with set bonus and augments is a must for the guy in HM FP... :p

Well, np, I can stand it with ease if my guildie - scoundrel DPS - agrees on offhealing me should the healer sabotage us like I was told the guy did before. I have to throw out all my dcd on cd, and my guildie offheals me, but we manage with me only going below 40% health, and only because the healer was picky on healing me.

After that I simply get no heals from him, but my guildie and the other dps - commando, lucky me! :D- threw occasional offheals on me, enough to keep me up. After the second boss, again like that, I whisper both dps to stop attacking mobs who go for the healer, and they do. He dies like 4 times on those mobs, and after he dies I get agro and things are smooth.

"Hey tank, do your job!" He writes. "Oh, but I do. I protect everyone that is doing his job here."

Both dps whisper me their lolling, and the healer reluctantly begins to heal properly. We down the bonus boss with ease, then the final boss. :cool:

My guildie and the other dps start thanking me via guild chat and whispers, then we part ways. After we get out and I'm about to relog my alt, the healer starts whispering me with apologies, saying he never managed with a tank geared like I was, and admitting he may have been a true a-hole. I accept those, but suggest him to pay more attention to gear requirements, because those are what you really need. He agreed, and a few other guildies that ran HM FP a few days later finding him told me he became much more tolerant on gear. :D

Edited by Cox_The_Beast

And this attitude is exactly why I plan to grind credits for 72/78 dps gear because "tank with less than 35k HP is undergeared". Shouldn't take that long. Mods are cheap 5-7 million each.

Tactical flashpoints and "minimum gear reqs". :rolleyes:

Which attitude? He was talking about a guardian being an issue for the boss. Not the 28k HP. You have to read the '( .... )' correctly mate ;-)

If the teammates helpout a bit neither should be an issue for guardians. On my vg and shadow I tend to not walk but only move by being pushed at the vrrblrter-ish-thingy. Has a near 100% succesrate. Since the boss is always in 4 meters range guardians should work just fine.

As for the sandstorm duneclaw. As dps just position yourself so that the guardian can leap at you. Problem solved there too ;-)

THIS VIDEO.

THIS RIGHT HERE.

This is why I always play tank and never anything else. I can't stand the idea of being in the hands of a baddie. With a bad healer, I can still make a difference. With a bad tank, it's all over, baby. Props to the video owner for keeping his sense of humor with this freak show. He's good people.

So, let's assume I queued as a healer for Hammer Station SM. Let us further assume that the designated tank is an underleveled Powertech needing on things he shouldn't (lvl 15 and very squishy, probably because of the greens from Dromund he was rolling with) and gladly breaking the healer's CC. Let us furthermore assume that one of the DPS was no DPS, but a tank specced Juggernaut (who guarded me and tanked a lot of the FP), who apparently decided to counter-need whenever the PT rolled need on something inappropriate nobody else from the group needed.

Additionally, let us assume that the Tank didn't know red=dead when it comes to the bridges (and from that point on didn't roll need once anymore :confused:). Furthermore, let us assume that people at the final boss stood a) in the mines, b) in his Sweeping Gunfire AOE and c) left the healer to deal with the adds on their own, completely depleting their energy (Operative) twice.

Finally, let us assume that in spite of all this, the group did not wipe once and the Ops healer got all the loot appropriate for his class (head, chest, weapon).

After assuming all of this, would you come to the conclusion that this is a weird experience, or a normal one?

If you say this is completely normal, things are going "well" in this game. :p

Edited by Darkelefantos

With a bad tank, it's all over, baby.

No, just no.

A decent healer can cover for mistakes from a bad tank, provided the Dps aren't idiots or have gold fever.

Example: Sorc, SM Cadamimu, tank died to first fire as did one of the dps.Very good Sorc Dps +my Sorc healer= 1 dead boss.

Example2:Merc(72/69 mix), HM CZ labs, 18k Jugg tank+first timer, 1 wipe.

Edited by toha

So, let's assume I queued as a healer for Hammer Station SM. Let us further assume that the designated tank is an underleveled Powertech needing on things he shouldn't (lvl 15 and very squishy, probably because of the greens from Dromund he was rolling with) and gladly breaking the healer's CC. Let us furthermore assume that one of the DPS was no DPS, but a tank specced Juggernaut (who guarded me and tanked a lot of the FP), who apparently decided to counter-need whenever the PT rolled need on something inappropriate nobody else from the group needed.

Additionally, let us assume that the Tank didn't know red=dead when it comes to the bridges (and from that point on didn't roll need once anymore :confused:). Furthermore, let us assume that people at the final boss stood a) in the mines, b) in his Sweeping Gunfire AOE and c) left the healer to deal with the adds on their own, completely depleting their energy (Operative) twice.

Finally, let us assume that in spite of all this, the group did not wipe once and the Ops healer got all the loot appropriate for his class (head, chest, weapon).

After assuming all of this, would you come to the conclusion that this is a weird experience, or a normal one?

If you say this is completely normal, things are going "well" in this game. :p

Nice one hands down. :D

I wouldn't call it normal, because it's not, or at least it shouldn't be... But it seems to be fairly common, so just get ready to cover for that kind of ppl as you lvl up... :p That'll save you a lot of headaches, believe me, even though facepalms will still come to you. ;)

Are you allowed to post pics? got a doozy of a run where everyone supposedly knew what they were doing against grenade boss in kdy, clearly didn't. I was the only one in 2 out of the 4 wipes who used the pads. Soo many noob questions after 4th wipe and called a scrub who didn't contribute by someone who ate all the grenades thrown at him/her during the whole run. I believe this person even died twice by running away from the trash we were currently fighting, to solo the champion.

Its weird but on harbinger, imps are great at ops, fp's and general pve stuff. They suck at PvP tho

Reps are great at PvP, especially GSF. Would I pug as a rep? Only if absolutely necessary after tonights farce.

This wasn't a GF but a guild run of HM Hammer Station. I main a healer but the only other guys on at the time are a Sorc Healer, Sorc DPS and Mara (all in 72-ish gear). SInce we lacked a tank we all agreed (they force persuaded me) into using my weakling DPS assasin as a tank (66/69 gear, 27k health). So we went in with me still specced in madness and no shield, 0% shield chance and 0% absorption. All I did was put up dark charge to make it a bit more tanky. Amazingly we actually completed it without a wipe, I only died once on the droid boss but got combat rezzed and finished it. That was an interesting run, props to amazing healer. We were practically laughing our way through the FP with the ridiculousness of it all.

Crazy DPSers running wild and free on the Drive Yards today. I think the freedom of not having to wait for a tank goes to their (our) heads. Maybe they were doing it for a lark, but two of them (from the same guild) would just run ahead and attack everything. Then do it again, without waiting to heal up. Then just for fun, why not aggro every single bad guy in the multi-level prison block area all at once? At the very least, it won't be dull. I have no idea how they even managed it, but I was chased out of there by about twenty bad guys.

It was all rather hilarious. I'm sure they can only have been doing it on purpose. But they kept dying and they kept not stopping to heal. I tried my best with my own DPS Commando to keep them alive with my three pathetic off-heals, but to no avail. I politely suggested they maybe stop for a second to heal up before we moved on, but apparently "healing is for wussies."

I'm not complaining, it was a lot of fun, and of course we won in the end, it was only KDY after all. But it was damn weird. In a good way, though. Sorta.

Edited by PLynkes

So, I had some... interesting experiences with boarding party. First, I had an entire group flip out at me for using guard on a dps. Frustrating, but I needed to get off not long after anyway, so not a huge deal. Then, after coming back a couple of hours later, I get another group. First thing I notice? one of the dps has 5k hp. Well, of course this is curious, so I check. A mix of inquisitor gear, empty oranges, and 1-2 actually pieces of maruader gear. Now, this isn't that out of the ordinary for this thread. But what makes it weird? After we told him he needed to fix his gear... He switched to a full Republic pilot outfit. that was entirely empty.

I salute our healer for ensuring that he only died once before we finally got fed up after he did something stupid (running through a group of mobs we'd bypassed by jumping onto the side of the area, triggering a double pull). Frankly, I'm surprised they tolerated him as long as they did.