Jedi Guardian PvP Video Guide!

Mirialol

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWcZhA0VORI

Description:

SWTOR: Jedi Guardian (Focus) PvP Guide

Hey guys, I'll be quitting this game soon due to various reasons.

But before I go, I made this guide because I wanted to leave behind some sort of legacy.

I made this video to answer all (or hopefully most) of the questions any of you might have, so I tried to explain all the basics. If you are already an experienced guardian pvper some or most of the things stated may be obvious to you, depending on how advanced you are.

I tend to go over things very quickly, so you may have to pause the video frequently if needed.

EVERYTHING that I learned hard ways from practice, experience, and trial and error over the past 2 months I will try to explain concisely as possible in this guide. I want to share all my knowledge with the community and fellow guardians. Many of the things that allowed me to achieve extreme amount of damage have been nerfed - however, following this guide will still help you increase your damage output and become a better player.

I want many of you as possible to become great at PvP and carry on from where I left as this game evolves.

Part 1: PvP Guide

1. Talent (0:42)

-mostly basic stuff

-explains why i took some talents

2. Itemization (1:56)

-stat priority

-how to judge whether one item is better than the other

-how to optimize your gear

-at the end of this part, I show all my items slot by slot

3. Openers / Rotation (5:34)

-demonstration of different openers and rotations

-explain pros and cons of each

-maximizing damage and efficiency

-tips on basic play / how you should be setting up bursts

4. Improving your game (9:26)

-shows some useful techniques

-how to effectively use various skill

-how to play the class to its fullest potential

Part 2: state of end game PvP and its flaws (coming later)

Part 3: my idea on how to fix this game (coming later)

Keybinds:

1 = strike (almost never use)

2 = sunder armor

3 = riposte (never use)

4 = dispatch

5 = saber ward

G = introspection

F = mount

T = ccbreak

R = interrupt

B = throw huttball

shift+G = enure

ctrl+1 = force leap

ctrl+2 = freezing force

ctrl+3 = force sweep

ctrl+4 = blade storm

ctrl+5 = awe

alt+1 = zealous leap

alt+2 = force exhaustion

alt+3 = force stasis

alt+4 = combat focus

alt+5 = master strike

alt+W = guardian leap

ctrl+W = target nearest ally

shift+1 = companion attack

shift+2 = companion passive

shift+Q = saber throw

shift+W = sprint

alt+Q = force push

ctrl+T = cyclone slash

ctrl+G = guard

F1 = relic

F2 = relic

F3 = relic

F4 = adrenal

F5 = FRAPS

shift+R = medpack

shift+5 = AOE taunt

ctrl+t = taunt

shift+mouse button 4 = tanking stim

mouse button 4 = DPS stim

mouse button 5 = class buff

middle mouse button = autorun

shift+scroll up = shii-cho form

shift+scroll down = soresu form

ctrl+R = shockfrozen water

ctrl+scroll up = swap to tanking offhand

shift+scroll up = swap to DPS offhand

Links:

(Build)

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#5000MZI0MZRrRbdbRdGR.1

Edited by Mirialol

Very nice build, very nice video, loved the tips. I am a defense spec guardian and tired of doing low DPS in PVP. I am going to start respecing back and forth for raids / pvp. These tips help a lot. Thank you for posting this

Sorry to hear you will be quitting the game. Losing a great jedi knight

Edited by Dragonexadon

proud to say i use almost the same build, but i get defiance and cut insight and unwavering focus but i will try to use master strike as a finisher now, so maybe i will get unwavering focus in the future.

thanks for explaining why you use which mod, i was stacking surge until now but will try to focus more on power and strength now anyway since they fixed surge returns but always good to know where to find the best mods.

hopefully i can get even better results with your tips, thanks and sad to see a great guardian leave!

Edited by raccomedia

Wow amazing guide! I'm a 49 guardian that has been doing well in pvp but I've been scared to take the plunge to 50. Now I have a good idea of how I will be fighting (still need the gear tho :).

Question for you:

Did our (guardians) damage go down more significantly than other classes due to the surge nerf? Or did everyone's go down equally? Do you reccommend any modifications to this guide based on your first impressions of the surge nerf?

Thanks!

An excellent guide. Not ashamed to say that I didn't know some of this. Good luck in past-ToR life.

As for the build - I can't live without Momentum. Zealous Leap proccing it makes it exceptional for Focus. That said, I probably have a little too much crit on my gear (was regearing from Vigilance when I tried Focus).

Edited by Helig

WAIT WHAT?

Blade Storm is for vigilance guardians? :mad:

You gotta be trolling, seriously.

My blade storms crit up to 3.5k with relic+ adrenal. It crits for 2.5k+ normally.

As focus spec we got 20% armor pen, 30% extra crit multiplier bonus, 6% extra crit on blade storm.

As vigilance you get

60% increased crit chance after overhead slash or plasma brand

200-250 extra damage dot... ticks for like 50 damage...-_-

Yes, blade storm is a little bit better in vigilance but it still rocks in focus.

Also good luck getting a FULL 3 second channel of master strike on a sorc or any ranged class, you have to stand still for the FULL 3 seconds because the most damaging portion of the attack is at the very tail end of master strike.

Also master strike can be defended against dodge/parry/shield since its weapon damage, while blade storm cannot be defended against since it's kinetic damage.

Blade Storm is great for ALL guardian specs... period, saying otherwise is just ridiculous.

Edited by AndantePhist

How about you try to read and reflect what you read next time?

He never said that BS is bad for Focus, he just said that it's not synergizing very well with the way he setup his gear. Why use BS when it has almost no chance to crit at all?

You could have spared yourself this wall of text.

BTT: Very good and informative guide.. even though Focus is boring as hell *g

Edited by Kalimist_

I did not get a huge "DONT USE BLADESTORM" feel from this video at all, though i do think that even if you aren't geared for crit, using bladestorm is good. But I also run a 6/3/32 build, so Bladestorm was free. If it's *not* free, then it loses a lot of it's appeal considering it's cost etc.