Return to game - Merc or Assassin?

tobiasackley

Hi i just returned after a 8 month hiatus, wondering what character to level first between a merc and an assassin

things im looking for

-Best storyline

-Best companions

-Best dps at endgame pve

thanks!

I think the Inquisitor has one of the best storylines in the game. Some people disagree, but I think it just comes down to what you're looking for in the storyline.

The story is about a rise to power. It's not about being some great Sith right from the start...and it's definitely not a "Palpatine story" as some people feel they were led to believe.

As far as companions...Khem is one of the most bad*** companions (in my opinion) and perfect for a darkside character. Ashara works for what she is placed in the story to do (mechanics-wise, she is kick*** with her DPS). Xalek, I haven't used him much at all...but I'm not fond of how he is portrayed during the recruiting storyline...especially with what the PC character went through to get where they are. However, he is another force-user...which is a plus. Talos and Revel...not a fan of either (though mechanics-wise, Talos is your healer, and Revel is a good range DPS).

All that being said, lore-wise...the Inquisitor's companions make up what is arguably the most powerful group of companions. Only the Jedi Knight companions can be argued against that fact.

EDIT: Misread...anyways, I can't say much on which is better for DPS in endgame pvp.

Edited by VitalityPrime

I think the Inquisitor has one of the best storylines in the game. Some people disagree, but I think it just comes down to what you're looking for in the storyline.

The story is about a rise to power. It's not about being some great Sith right from the start...and it's definitely not a "Palpatine story" as some people feel they were led to believe.

Just to offer another PoV, I will wholeheartedly disagree. I've played the following stories through the CH3 completion:

• Agent
  • Warrior
  • Bounty Hunter (almost twice)
  • Inquisitor
  • Trooper
  • Smuggler

Of all those, by far with a massive margin, Inquisitor was the worst, IMO. It was the only story where I felt like a petty moron, instead of a hero or bada** (depending on light/dark). Time after time in the Inquisitor story I sat there dumbfounded as to why on earth the character would make those decisions, given what had happened already. Chapter 2 in it's entirety felt like a pointless foray into the absurd. The only thing I will concede is that the Inquisitor story is VERY true to the sith mantra.

And don't get me started on companions. Inquisitor had the most shallow companions in the game. The padawan you get is so much worse than the Warrior's story line. The only decent companion is the last one, and you have him for effectively one planet of story.

On the other hand, bounty hunters have a satisfying (if not a little predictable) story where you actually feel quite awesome. The companions make sense, and are often quite hilarious. Plus, the story seems equally satisfying as light or dark.

EDIT: In terms of DPS, you really shouldn't be worrying about that right now. There will be massive balancing coming soon, and which class is at the "top" changes very often. You should play the class that is the most fun to you.

Edited by xyrmagus

Inquisitor has a bit better story, but then there's Blizz...

As assassin you can dps and tank if you want. Assassin tank + properly geared healer companion = you can't die.

Merc can heal or do decent damage. Blizz + Bodyguard = unstoppable killing machine. And because of Blizz's personality you'll laugh 100% of the time while doing it.

Both can output high amounts of DPS. You do need to know how to play the toon in order to achieve high DPS output, like learning the proper rotation for to pop instants that pop armor penetration, release cooldowns, etc. Both can be very effective, but just different strategy. Assassins have stealth that is great for getting yourself and a group to bypass situations.

Keep in mind, they are two different playing styles. One's ranged, with a couple killer melee moves, and the other is melee with a couple close ranged attacks. I find that playing a merc is much faster in dealing out damage especially on groups because of quick targeting and multiple AoE damage abilities. They also do pretty well agains single target. Assassin's are great for single target, but, IMO, are slow switching from target to target compared to Maurader. Mainly because you do most of your best DPS when attacking from behind the target, so it takes a but more time to align yourself. However you can generally one or two shot them pretty easily.

As far as companions go, as a merc, you get dear sweet Mako pretty early on in the game. She's an amazing healer, and probably my most favorite companion in the game.

Hope this helps.

Edited by btmart