Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, thanks Stuffystuffs, that first quote is obviously where the idea comes from.

But then, the second quote, I don't know, nothing seems certain. Take those statements, then the mystery "May be in Makeb" comment, and then the interview with Damion Schubert where he said:

A: I will put this as 'on our radar screen but not imminent'. Building companion content is very, very expensive for us (most people only play one of their companions heavily, so there is a one-in-forty chance that any companion content will be consumed). Also, the benefits of companions once you hit level 50 isn't great since you don't use them for operations or warzones. I'd really like to address the utility problem before we jump on creating more content for them. That being said, we know you guys love your companions and we know it’s something that's unique to SWTOR, so it’s definitely something that will get attention.

So that all just leaves me like :confused::confused:

ps - yeah, I have decided I will not engage in any conversations with that particular poster - I already got an infraction for my participation in that other thread of his :( obviously someone is trying to get a rise out of people in the worst possible way.

Edited by chuixupu

So that all just leaves me like :confused::confused:

It leaves all of us like that.

Personally I've been thinking getting about 4 legacy companions is the best way out at the moment. Class independent, alliance in dependent, level 50 dependent for initial unlock (as HK51). 2 for each gender, and I don't mind them being herosexual. And they could even make thàt happen with Makeb. Throw some missions in there that'll unlock new companions and throw them in legacy. If we're to wait for full story updates, then we might be waiting forever, even the next expansion could be half story like apparently we're dealing with now.

I'm concerned that if they add new companions for SGR, they will become 'the gay companions'. This could have unfortunate consequences and attract the wrong kind of attention to all this.

For instance...

Scenario 1: if they added a new character called Nilo Jack for Sith Warriors as 'The gay option', people may target this and the odd b*stard on your server may go around picking on players that choose to have Nilo as a companion. 'Dude, you're using the gay companion'. And the addition itself may be seen as negative by players who have suddenly found themselves with the option to acquire the gay companion. The majority won't want to. And they'll use this as an excuse to say 'you have time to add a gay companion I didn't want but didn't have time to fix my warzone lag'.

Scenario 2: They decide to give Malavai Quinn the option for SGR on Sith Warriors. This won't have the same implications. You could run around with Quinn and people won't care if you're using him for heals or are currently romancing him because it won't stick out like a sore thumb. And hell, some people may say 'Oh I always thought he appeared a little bit gay anyway, I'm not surprised'.

I'm concerned that if they add new companions for SGR, they will become 'the gay companions'. This could have unfortunate consequences and attract the wrong kind of attention to all this.

For instance...

Scenario 1: if they added a new character called Nilo Jack for Sith Warriors as 'The gay option', people may target this and the odd b*stard on your server may go around picking on players that choose to have Nilo as a companion. 'Dude, you're using the gay companion'. And the addition itself may be seen as negative by players who have suddenly found themselves with the option to acquire the gay companion. The majority won't want to. And they'll use this as an excuse to say 'you have time to add a gay companion I didn't want but didn't have time to fix my warzone lag'.

Scenario 2: They decide to give Malavai Quinn the option for SGR on Sith Warriors. This won't have the same implications. You could run around with Quinn and people won't care if you're using him for heals or are currently romancing him because it won't stick out like a sore thumb. And hell, some people may say 'Oh I always thought he appeared a little bit gay anyway, I'm not surprised'.

I never thought of it that way but I'd have to agree. I would not mind running around with gay companions and people getting the idea that I'm romancing them (since I would) but I do see the possibilty of people trying to mess with you for that. And you ending up having to report people for doing so. That would equate bullying, seriously, and would take all the fun out of the game. I wonder if they thought of that, had the same idea and wether it might influence their writing.

Edited by Lent_San

I never thought of it that way but I'd have to agree. I would not mind running around with gay companions and people getting the idea that I'm romancing them but I do see the possibilty of people trying to mess with you for that. And you ending up having to report people for doing so. That would equate bullying, seriously, and would take all the fun out of the game, I'd imagine.

Indeed, and even if it didn't happen, I would always feel like a target and I fear it would put a damper on my game play experience. Even when I run around with Torian on my Bounty Hunter I feel this way. They just expect you to use Mako and aren't surprised when you run around with a female BH with Mako either.

One time, I was grouping with some people to do a HC 4 mission on my Agent and I had Vector out, because I always use him. He's my favorite and I hope some day my Agent will get to romance him. (My Agent has already had to turn down Ensign and Kaliyo!) Someone in the group immediately pointed this out to me and asked me why I would use Vector. Perhaps shamefully, I felt I had to respond with 'because he's more of a challenge than using a healing companion' rather than 'because I like Vector and wish to use him'.

Edited by AelixVII

Indeed, and even if it didn't happen, I would always feel like a target and I fear it would put a damper on my game play experience. Even when I run around with Torian on my Bounty Hunter I feel this way. They just expect you to use Mako and aren't surprised when you run around with a female BH with Mako either.

One time, I was grouping with some people to do a HC 4 mission on my Agent and I had Vector out, because I always use him. He's my favorite and I hope some day my Agent will get to romance him. (My Agent has already had to turn down Ensign and Kaliyo!) Someone in the group immediately pointed this out to me and asked me why I would use Vector. Perhaps shamefully, I felt I had to respond with 'because he's more of a challenge than using a healing companion' rather than 'because I like Vector and wish to use him'.

I guess I could handle their attacks since I'm not gay in real life and be like "yeah, whatever", but I'd imagine as a gay person that would be much more tough to do. Not sure what to think of that. I wouldn't want to cave in to harrassment but I also wouldn't want my gaming experience to be ruined like it possibly could. Not sure. I guess I'd hope for people to be acting as grown-ups, like they should.

I guess I could handle their attacks since I'm not gay in real life and be like "yeah, whatever", but I'd imagine as a gay person that would be much more tough to do. Not sure what to think of that. I wouldn't want to cave in to harrassment but I also wouldn't want my gaming experience to be ruined like it possibly could. Not sure. I guess I'd hope for people to be acting as grown-ups, like they should.

You need to remember that as this is a game, nothing is real, but everything has extremely serious consequences all of the time.

You play a game for fun, but all of your actions must have deep philosophical meaning behind them, wherein you have balanced the fates of worlds. You simply cannot make choices based on a whim or because you 'think it's fun'.

I can't even continue, this is ludicrous.

The idea of having a token 'gay companion' is problematic on a number of levels, but Aelix, I think I have to agree with you that having a token would be used to bully people. Hopefully Bioware have thought about this and won't just dump one token gay and one token lesbian and leave it at that.

The idea of having a token 'gay companion' is problematic on a number of levels, but Aelix, I think I have to agree with you that having a token would be used to bully people. Hopefully Bioware have thought about this and won't just dump one token gay and one token lesbian and leave it at that.

It's also just lazy. As a gay person, you don't fall in love with another person just because he or she is gay, just like heteros don't fall in love with whomever of the opposite sex. If they were to reduce it to that, well, it wouldn't be good for a number of reasons, just like was being stated.

It's also just lazy. As a gay person, you don't fall in love with another person just because he or she is gay, just like heteros don't fall in love with whomever of the opposite sex.

A point most opponents of this content seem to conveniently forget, unless, of course, they DO attempt to pursue relationships with anyone of the opposite sex to them, regardless of that person's preferences or relationship status, in which case that is not respectful nor a good basis for comparison.

Also that's just really creepy.

"I love you because breasts."

As for "the gay companions". BW Austin would just have to make sure that they'd be so awesome everyone would have them. And I see a great opportunity for an awareness event.

If at present it is experienced to be looked upon with a frown for walking with a same sex companion, then whatever BW will do is not going to matter. You're going to have to stand up for yourself, use the report and ignore functions and enjoy the game. That can be tough, but it's something that needs to be learned in this life.

As for "the gay companions". BW Austin would just have to make sure that they'd be so awesome everyone would have them. And I see a great opportunity for an awareness event.

Hell, if Bioware want to do an awareness event, release SGRA's then do a couple of tie-in columns in gaming magazines about LGBT representation in video games and how they're so 'progressive', earning them more gay points.

Gay points can be exchanged for money.

As for "the gay companions". BW Austin would just have to make sure that they'd be so awesome everyone would have them.

I can already see the homophobes whining "They force the gay dude on me, because he's too awesome not to use, boohoo....".

That would be highly amusing, I must say.

But yeah, art changes hearts and minds, so it would be a good opportunity indeed.

Well that's the last time I go on holiday. Judging by the sheer amount of reading I had to catch up on last night and today, all the interesting stuff happens when I'm not around ;P.

My sub is due to run out in a few days and I'm not gonna resub for now, expensive month with Christmas so close and since the SGRA's aren't here yet saving that little bit from the sub will be handy.

Whilst I can still post I'm curious to know if they were to implement new companions for SGRA's what kind of characters would you want? I think it's fairly safe to say that the majority here wouldn't want these companions to be stereotypical in any way shape or form. Personally I would love to see a male SGRA companion who was a Mandalorian warrior similar to Torian but a bit older and more battle worn.

Right, but it's a 'thing' too (like, a deal is made out of it) b/c it's so uncommon whereas the JK Sith pureblood is treated the same as any other Jedi (which is odd to me).

well, that's more of a 'game problem' than 'lore problem', though.

for example, when I play a chiss imperial agent then I get called 'names' a few times by human imperials, and the sith treat me 'worse' no matter which race.

when I play a chiss smuggler I get called nasty names by imperial humans, too. but it's not because i'm a chiss specifically, but because i'm 'alien'.

you might argue that it doesn't get aknowledged on republic side that I'm an 'uncommon' alien.

HOWEVER... my main is also a smuggler but she is a cyborg...

being a cyborg doesn't get aknowledged in-game period. it wasn't aknowledged on my sith warrior and it wasn't aknowledged on my smuggler.

and cyborgs were seen as 'yucky', less so on the republic, but still. in fact there's a quest on republic side where the quest giver calls them abomination or something ... giving my character WHO IS A CYBORG the quest to make sure these 'evil things' aren't dangerous.... well... derpy derp? (I'm not 100% sure if this was a smuggler quest or a general quest)

Can't stand her. Way too much "I'm a rebelous rebel who rebels!"

And give her background that makes even less sense to me. I'd think she'd want to hew as close to the code as possible. Though i guess they try and explain it away with the whole "I have been tested and know I can withstand the darkside" thing but I don't like it.

Also she is in the way of the OTP robosexual love with T7

like I said, many of your 'feelings' seem to be entirely based on your own experiences - and stereotypes.

and cyborgs were seen as 'yucky', less so on the republic, but still. in fact there's a quest on republic side where the quest giver calls them abomination or something ... giving my character WHO IS A CYBORG the quest to make sure these 'evil things' aren't dangerous.... well... derpy derp? (I'm not 100% sure if this was a smuggler quest or a general quest)

Continued lore-basis for more reasons why my Agent/Imp Officer is self-loathing beyond his own vanity, whoo!

Never mind me.

Also, Chaac, I'm not sure but I think 'preferred players' still get posting privileges (albeit limited), so if you want a synopsis of stuff that's happened, just ask. (I live in the UK and everyone else seems to live the in the US so when I wake up in the morning there's like five pages of posts that I need to read that have apparently also been trimmed so I miss out on loads sometimes.)

And what sort of companion personalities would I like to see? Would be interesting to see more Imperial companions which reflect on life in the Empire, both from the privileged position (i.e. human and purebloods) and from the oppressed positions (aliens, non-Force Sensitive purebloods*, people from the colonies), but preferably without the whole "aliens are meant to be enslaved, lah di dah" and "Imperials are the worst thing ever, OMG" - you can have that, but don't make it the entire focus of their interactions with the PC.

*You can meet a non-Force Sensitive Pureblood on Voss in the Inquisitor storyline and it's interesting but I don't remember it being a terribly detailed exchange.

Edited by Tatile

Personally I would love to see a male SGRA companion who was a Mandalorian warrior similar to Torian but a bit older and more battle worn.
Uh, I'd like that. Older and battleworn sounds like an interesting character, and BW always used to be good at creating those. I mean, look at Tharan. He's funny and all, but a little childish and immature and he got on my nerves after a while. Iresso could have been far more interesting in that respect, but he appeared too late in the story and doesn't really have an overly engaging personality. He's nice and I like that, but a little dull. I like the more edgy characters, those with a past, who lived through things. I don't know if that's too much to ask for an MMO with dozens of chars to create, but in my mind it would be quite worth it.

PS: Seems like some of that guy's threads from last night got deleted. Can't believe he's still allowed to post though. He should have been banned after the mayhem he caused yesterday.

PSS: When my sub had run out a few days ago, I could not post here even though I was on 'preferred' status. Whether that had anything to do with threads being cleaned though, I have no idea.

Edited by Lent_San

Whilst I can still post I'm curious to know if they were to implement new companions for SGRA's what kind of characters would you want? I think it's fairly safe to say that the majority here wouldn't want these companions to be stereotypical in any way shape or form. Personally I would love to see a male SGRA companion who was a Mandalorian warrior similar to Torian but a bit older and more battle worn.

If we're talking new companions, for females, I would like to see one that isn't your apprentice/padawan/protege/etc.

I know there are some exceptions but that seems quite popular with current female companions for some reason :D

Continued lore-basis for more reasons why my Agent/Imp Officer is self-loathing beyond his own vanity, whoo!

Never mind me.

Also, Chaac, I'm not sure but I think 'preferred players' still get posting privileges (albeit limited), so if you want a synopsis of stuff that's happened, just ask. (I live in the UK and everyone else seems to live the in the US so when I wake up in the morning there's like five pages of posts that I need to read that have apparently also been trimmed so I miss out on loads sometimes.)

And what sort of companion personalities would I like to see? Would be interesting to see more Imperial companions which reflect on life in the Empire, both from the privileged position (i.e. human and purebloods) and from the oppressed positions (aliens, non-Force Sensitive purebloods*, people from the colonies), but preferably without the whole "aliens are meant to be enslaved, lah di dah" and "Imperials are the worst thing ever, OMG" - you can have that, but don't make it the entire focus of their interactions with the PC.

*You can meet a non-Force Sensitive Pureblood on Voss in the Inquisitor storyline and it's interesting but I don't remember it being a terribly detailed exchange.

You're not alone Tatile, I'm across the small pond, and amnie is a little further east from me :).

I understand that they refer to the speciesism existing in the SW galaxy, but I don't like how you can not be an actor in that matter. You're always on the side-lines. I could choose the option to say that I don't care the pureblood species go extinct, but it didn't have any in game consequences, not on equal terms as for example picking a dark side option and bombarding a planet. Why can't I make a similar choice when it comes to these dilemmas. You're only ever an actor on the light-dark axis, and not on any other matters :S.

As for SGR (I don't like the abbreviation SS, I also don't like it in other (social) media, it has dark connotations in Europe, please do me a favour everyone and don't use it) companions, I hope that the team will pick up on some of our realities, and not make the same mistakes as with some of the OGR options; ie I don't like to see male privilege, I don't like to see assigned gender and or sexual roles, I don't like to see abusive power relations, and please no speciesism.

Fendris might also be complex, some speciesism there, some slavery issues, but ultimately in the romance they don't play a dominant part. The hero was part in Fenris' ability to break his chains (physical/psychological).

Anders met with a lot of opposition as he couldn't take no for an answer, if they'd like to add another character that doesn't stop, I'd suggest they do it with an androgynous character, it'd likely meet less opposition that way.

I liked Isabella a lot (you can probably tell, but I guess I'm one of the few who enjoyed DA2 probably more than DAO, that's just timing tho, I played DA2 before DAO) and I think that putting in a male version of her ( like some have said Jack Harkness), would be very interesting.

We've seen many issues in this game on different planets. In the books there's also plenty of references to planet and species issues that have all kinds of freedom movements come into play. I wouldn't mind seeing some companions from any of these movements and being able to make a change and a romance in the process of such a story. That might sounds contradictory to what I said earlier, but there is a difference between a romance being determined by a power dynamic based on oppression and a story dealing with these issues and those not affecting the power dynamic.

I need more coffee, perhaps that'd clear things up lol

On another note, it really is time for some clarifications. The fact that even the mods suggested the suggestion box (only to delete threads there), gives me the impression we're still in the same place we were years ago. SGR has not left the drawing board and that's a sad situation seeing the game launched a year ago. :S

It could really help to know where we're at, perhaps the suggestion box is a good place to drop ideas if we're still at that stage, if they're even still coming. Do everyone and yourselves a favour BW Austin, be transparent on this issue.

I need more coffee, perhaps that'd clear things up lol

I got you and I fully agree. ;) Imbalanced relationships, there really seem to be too many in SWTOR. Maybe that could change with SGR, may give them incentive to change some of the OGR to be more compelling.

I'd like Iresso to shun my consular for sticking to the Jedi code, for instance. That would be interesting, my toon having to be the pursuer for a change. It would make her reconsider her options, I guess, and that would be interesting. Not a soft little romance with hushed talk of marriage that no-one really knows and cares about, including me.

I can't see her getting married, even if she could. With all the tragedies and drama she's seen, she'd be happy in a relationship with someone who understands, without having to make it conform to a certain standard that doesn't even seem that appropriate for the times our toons are living in.

Thanks for the offer, I think I caught up on everything though. I've read all the Glaad stuff which was great to see, I'll be sending my own email tomorrow, read that ridiculous thread last night, luckily it was closed before I got to the end of the thread since I was getting ready to post a hell of a rant before I had even reached page 10. I'm also in the UK so used to missing out on a fair bit as well. Seems unless we go to bed about 4am and get up at like 6am it's almost inevitable something will have been removed :p .

Ah I'll have to see if I can still post or not after it runs out. I can't remember exactly when that is but it should be soon. Absolutley agree about not making it their sole defining feature. I don't mind a bit of "I hate Imperials", but those characters are a ton more interesting when they're more rounded and given other characteristics.

Uh, I'd like that. Older and battleworn sounds like an interesting character, and BW always used to be good at creating those. I mean, look at Tharan. He's funny and all, but a little childish and immature and he got on my nerves after a while. Iresso could have been far more interesting in that respect, but he appeared too late in the story and doesn't really have an overly engaging personality. He's nice and I like that, but a little dull. I like the more edgy characters, those with a past, who lived through things. I don't know if that's too much to ask for an MMO with dozens of chars to create, but in my mind it would be quite worth it.

PS: Seems like some of that guy's threads from last night got deleted. Can't believe he's still allowed to post though. He should have been banned after the mayhem he caused yesterday.

PSS: When my sub had run out a few days ago, I could not post here even though I was on 'preferred' status. Whether that had anything to do with threads being cleaned though, I have no idea.

A great example for the type of companion I'd like is Zaeed Massani from Mass Effect 2/3. He's not a perfect fit due to being a bit of a ******* lol but he's got that seasoned warrior who's actually experienced life down to a tee. Of course it helps that he's voiced by the awesome Robin Sachs which does make me a little biased, seeing as he's easy on the eyes, was awesome in Buffy and was strongly implied to have been more than just Giles friend at some point in their past ;)

If we're talking new companions, for females, I would like to see one that isn't your apprentice/padawan/protege/etc.

I know there are some exceptions but that seems quite popular with current female companions for some reason :D

For a female companion I would love to see a Miranda Lawson type Agent. Not overly butch, not overly feminine but just a person who is very good at their job, more than capable at fighting and just happens to be female.

Not awake. Getting coffee, but I wanted to point this out:

Thread:

What ever happened to the Cathar?

Body of the OP:

It was announced a good few months ago that Cathar will become a playable species.

What ever happened to that?

First response:

They talked about it in the livestream not too long ago, to keep it short and sweet. It will take months for it to be implemented.

Okay, my questions, Why is it such a double minded thing to even talk about SGRs.? Why did that bad communication breakdown happen? This is direct and undeniable proof that BW-Austin is more than willing to talk about things months in advance. Which contradicts a lot of what some of the more angry trolls like to claim. "They don't talk about things too far out in advance." I really feel like someone is acting like some of the teachers I had in high school where they chuckle nervously and change the subject the second they aren't comfortable.

It's not against the OP of that thread at all. They seem like passionate players and decent people. Shoot, I'm curious too, but my gods....So many people give us such a hard time for pursuing answers.

They tell us to shut up when we say that it's been over 9 months since any official word and they are still giving the press the runaround. Yet after 7 months, people get nervous if they don't hear about the new race. And they didn't get ignored at the Livestream.

We all know that if they had had the courage to speak up about this on the Livestream, we would have all jumped over that by now.

I'm enjoying the fact there is a new race and Cathars to boot. However, playing a Cathar or not doesn't really change my play style any. As was pointed out, you get a few nasty comments from Pub side and about once a planet my Chiss sniper was called alien scum. It really doesn't change how I playing the game.

SGRs, for myself and others, significantly changes the way we play. After 9 months since any official word at all, I'm pretty mad that this is still being treated so different. When it shouldn't.

Being more watched in the forums (and then some :rolleyes: ), but treated exactly as we were 8 months ago by BW-Austin. GLAAD and the emails we sent off really are making a difference, that much is true. We've gotten the word out.

I had some stuff about possible companion sexuality (a topic I genuinely enjoy,) but that'll have to wait until after coffee.

Oh, my word for the day: DOOOOOOOOM! DOOMIE DOOMIE DOOM! This goes for a lot of the threads in General. Must be that the 21st is only 12 days away. End of the world and all that. :p

Yeah, I spotted several of the Chicken Littles in the forums recently. I hope a piece of sky didn't land on someone's head, since it's falling and all. ;)

*stumbles into her kitchen, squinting at the glare*

Edited by natashina