[TFB HM] Writhing Horror advice?

So my guild is just starting our progression into TFB HM. We're having a heck of a time with Writhing Horror's enrage timer, so I'm hoping for a bit of advice.

I'm pretty sure we're using the right mechanics, but just in case here's what we're doing:

- healers take the 1st and 4th red pools

- rDPS take the 2nd and 3rd red pools

- Melee DPS stay on the boss the entire time

- Ranged DPS take out the little adds, then Jealous Male, then back to the boss

Our DPS all average about 1000 DPS over the course of the fight (ranged spike higher due to AoE on the little adds), but we're still hitting enrage with the boss still at 10% health.

Is this just a matter of us not kicking out enough raw damage? Is there some mechanic that we're missing? I'd greatly appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks in advance!

I think the main problem is your dps. If you are doing everything fine, enrage shouldn't be a problem. Additional adds will appear at around 15 -8 % depending on your dps, but if you ignore them and nuke like it should be, boss should go down.

1000 dps is not enough for terror from beyond hard mode. I would even say, that with this dps (lets say if your dpsers are doing 4k dps together) you would have problems with beating enrage timers on bosses in Explosive Conflict hard mode.

Advisable MINIMAL dps (from my experience) is no less than 1,2 k, but even this can be, and WILL BE too low on further bosses (maybe you would be able to kill them, but it would be close one).

So basically gear up, itemize your gear well and you should see the difference with dps.

Your damage seems low, but just in case... are you sure you're hitting the enrage? There's a burn phase that normally occurs at 10% where adds start spawning nonstop, and you have to kill the boss before you get overrun. If that's what you're stuck at, you just have to dps through it. If you're hitting a hard enrage, it's time for your dps to step it up.

you should not be getting a 4th red pool. use a parser to see who the weak links are in dps.

also, you should ahve all dps on the adds and male so they down them faster and get back to the boss dps.

for the 15% mark, you are goign to want your healers to get hots/bubles off and have everyone stack for aoe heals and burn the boss, then, since everyone is stacked, you can then aoe the adds.

Edited by dipstik

I agree with the above posters - if your DPS are at around 1000, that's just not quite enough. I know that our dps generally pull from 1100 for the lowest up to 1700+ for our best ranged who also AOEs the little adds.

As for ways to pull more dps, I'd first look at gear - make sure that people are in full augmented campaign/black hole, and also that they have optimized some of the mods/enhancements. Your gear doesn't need to be perfect for this fight, but if you're in Rakata it will be very very tough. Also, just by knowing the locations the boss "pops up" and the order that he moves around the room can greatly increase melee dps uptime - I know that just by practicing the fight, I've increased my personal dps by over 100 just by knowing where the boss is going to move to, where the safe spots are to drop the yellow circles, etc. If none of that works, then you really need to get your dps to work on their rotations with a dummy to up their output - no other way around it.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

1000 DPS on an average is really low on such a fight, regardless of what classes, specc or if people are range or melee, I normally pull out about the double on that fight since you can almost constantly fight. And then I use a campaign/black hole gear, so I recommend you continue to fight in EC HM for a while for gear and train in TFB SM on the difference mechanics.

Ask your DPS to check their gear, rotations and specc and try to get some feedback on it from more veteran players, either here on the official forum or on MMO-mechanics, there you can find a lot of information and tips to improve your DPS.

If you're hitting the hard enrage (and not the soft 10% enrage with all the adds), one thing you can do to squeeze out a bit of extra DPS is to ensure that when the tank swap to the Jealous Male occurs, you keep your DPS on the Horror itself until the eggs on the Jealous Male tank hatch, and THEN everyone switch to add killing, rather than everyone break off and wait for the things to pop.

1000 DPS per DPSer is probably a bit low for that fight though.

Low DPS was what we suspected, but it's nice to get the confirmation. Like I said, I mostly wanted to make sure it wasn't some mechanic or something that we were just overlooking.

Thank you all for the input!

Another advice: if your dps starts to get where it should be you should get the "burn" phase very soon after the 3rd pool, so you shouldn't really have to worry about the 4th one because it likely means you're not going to break through the burn phase anyway.

That said, the pools are timed in a way that once the third pool spawns the boss will be back in his initial tanking position.

What we usually do is have rdps on the first 2 pools and on the third we have one melee dps stand on the flower near the boss. If the pool spawns there he takes it and keeps dpsing the boss, while ranged do area damage (that will hit, mostly, the boss as well). Otherwise have a healer stand in the pool like normal.

Also, we have the mdps ALWAYS on the boss, cept maybe a second or two to finish burning the male, but our tanks usually have it killed (or almost so) by themselves by the time the adds are dead.

So my guild is just starting our progression into TFB HM. We're having a heck of a time with Writhing Horror's enrage timer, so I'm hoping for a bit of advice.

I'm pretty sure we're using the right mechanics, but just in case here's what we're doing:

Our DPS all average about 1000 DPS over the course of the fight (ranged spike higher due to AoE on the little adds), but we're still hitting enrage with the boss still at 10% health.

Is this just a matter of us not kicking out enough raw damage? Is there some mechanic that we're missing? I'd greatly appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks in advance!

As all the Above say if you all are hiting 10 % and 4 red pools it is diff a DPS issue .. some of our raids we get three red pools depending whos on in guild when we do it most of the time we get two if our really good DPS is on at the time of the raid .. we have also done it a few times and on one died at the end ..

Thanks in advance!

We just cleared this this past week, maybe our slightly different strat will work for you.

We had 3 ranged and 1 melee DPS. The three ranged took turns standing in the pools. If you're going 2/2 then use one of your healers.

All DPS switches *immediately* to the male when it spawns and burns it down before the small adds come. That frees up the tanks to continue swapping on the boss if one gets low. When the small adds show up, stand in the pool and AoE. Keep the MDPS on the boss during the small adds burn.