Is it viable to level a healer/tank through flashpoints and your class story ONLY

Kentontudor

Hey guys, it's my first time back since a couple months after launch and I see that there's group-finder now in the game which I think is a great thing. I want to level a healer and was wanting to know if it's possible to level solely through class story and flashpoints... Are flashpoint groups easy to come by? Or am I better off leveling as a dps spec, and respec'ing at cap?

Sure, there are your regular flashpoints which will pop more readily as a tank or healer (especially as a tank) and there is Kuat your tactical flashpoint which is almost and instant pop. A pefect way to level up many, many alts class quests and flashpoints and.. throw in warzones too btw if you are willing.

I have done this on many characters when I was feeling burned-out on the generic planet missions, and it's very fast, and very effective — if you plan smartly.

You just have to really like healing/tanking, be willing to see the same FP nine billion times, and have a very high tolerance level for, uh, "interesting" group members, because you'll get a lot of them and spending time arguing or votekicking just slows your XP down.

You must always, always do the Bonus Missions if available, this is crucial in BP / Foundry since you'll be seeing those FPs forever from about 35-45 and the Bonus is a massive chunk of XP that justifies the time investment to go through these huge FPs.

You also get a huge chunk of XP for completing the FP, so don't drop group even if you're annoyed. Also, this is why it can be viable to skip tedious mob groups like the patrol droids in Cademimu — the XP you get from killing a few mobs pales compared to the XP you get from finish the Bonus + FP and then queuing again.

Do your Daily and Weekly FP mission without fail, these are also huge chunks of XP.

Buy the Legacy perk for Improved Class Mission and Improved Flashpoint XP — every little bit adds up since you're skipping generic filler missions on planets.

Field Respec is a huge help since you'll get a surprising amount of pops as DPS even while queued Tank/Heals, and being in proper DPS spec speeds up the run.

Full DPS gear recommended — your Tank spec + Stance is enough defenses for leveling FPs, and the extra DPS stats from "DPS" mods helps speed up runs vs. excessive survival stats, especially when you get tagged for DPS by the queue.

For Tank leveling: +41 Endurance crystal until about Mandalorian Raiders, by that level you're deep enough in your Tank tree and have enough gear to not need the raw Health boost, so switch to +41 Power. But for example in Hammer Station, the +41 End crystal helps a lot since healers tend to be new and some of the pulls are brutal (eg, Hammer 2-droid pull).

Keep your Healer companion geared (if Tanking) or your Melee DPS or a Tank companion (if Healing) so that people dropping group doesn't slow you down even slightly.

Pop Major XP Boosts like butterflies at a rave.

Remember: your mission is to tear the FP apart as fast as possible and get into the next one. Do whatever is necessary. If you're Healing and have a slow tank, just pull more mobs and bring them to the Tank via LOS — it makes it easy for Tank to hold aggro and seriously speeds up the run.

If Tanking, establish aggro then go grab more stuff (don't do this in very early levels, but once you get to the point where people's level / gear is outranking mobs significantly, this is very helpful). No need to sit around while DPS kills stuff — once aggro is on you, grab more and let DPS finish it off as you establish the next pull.

Chain pull and chug chug chug to blow through FPs. Be sympathetic to people who are new or overwhelmed, try not to ruin anyone's experience, but also try to remember that Speed = Your Friend, because you can think of your XP bar as an "FP Bar" — eg, "I need 15 FPs to hit the next level".

Then every 4-5 levels you can chill out and go catch up on 1-2 planets worth of Class Missions (while they're still green/yellow and giving XP) to relax your nerves and enjoy the story. :)

absolutely. just make sure to upgrade your and companion gear every 8 levels or so. if you are planning on running a lot of flashpoints, you should be able to store up a decent amount of coms to do that, as well as supplement it with drops from regular flashpoints. just make sure to pick up daily quests on a fleet

alternately, you could just run Kyat until your eyes bleed and you hit max level, and then you don't have to worry about upgrading your gear as much.

I have done this on many characters when I was feeling burned-out on the generic planet missions, and it's very fast, and very effective — if you plan smartly.

You just have to really like healing/tanking, be willing to see the same FP nine billion times, and have a very high tolerance level for, uh, "interesting" group members, because you'll get a lot of them and spending time arguing or votekicking just slows your XP down.

You must always, always do the Bonus Missions if available, this is crucial in BP / Foundry since you'll be seeing those FPs forever from about 35-45 and the Bonus is a massive chunk of XP that justifies the time investment to go through these huge FPs.

You also get a huge chunk of XP for completing the FP, so don't drop group even if you're annoyed. Also, this is why it can be viable to skip tedious mob groups like the patrol droids in Cademimu — the XP you get from killing a few mobs pales compared to the XP you get from finish the Bonus + FP and then queuing again.

Do your Daily and Weekly FP mission without fail, these are also huge chunks of XP.

Buy the Legacy perk for Improved Class Mission and Improved Flashpoint XP — every little bit adds up since you're skipping generic filler missions on planets.

Field Respec is a huge help since you'll get a surprising amount of pops as DPS even while queued Tank/Heals, and being in proper DPS spec speeds up the run.

Full DPS gear recommended — your Tank spec + Stance is enough defenses for leveling FPs, and the extra DPS stats from "DPS" mods helps speed up runs vs. excessive survival stats, especially when you get tagged for DPS by the queue.

For Tank leveling: +41 Endurance crystal until about Mandalorian Raiders, by that level you're deep enough in your Tank tree and have enough gear to not need the raw Health boost, so switch to +41 Power. But for example in Hammer Station, the +41 End crystal helps a lot since healers tend to be new and some of the pulls are brutal (eg, Hammer 2-droid pull).

Keep your Healer companion geared (if Tanking) or your Melee DPS or a Tank companion (if Healing) so that people dropping group doesn't slow you down even slightly.

Remember: your mission is to tear the FP apart as fast as possible and get into the next one. Do whatever is necessary. If you're Healing and have a slow tank, just pull more mobs and bring them to the Tank via LOS — it makes it easy for Tank to hold aggro and seriously speeds up the run.

If Tanking, establish aggro then go grab more stuff (don't do this in very early levels, but once you get to the point where people's level / gear is outranking mobs significantly, this is very helpful). No need to sit around while DPS kills stuff — once aggro is on you, grab more and let DPS finish it off as you establish the next pull.

Chain pull and chug chug chug to blow through FPs. Be sympathetic to people who are new or overwhelmed, try not to ruin anyone's experience, but also try to remember that Speed = Your Friend, because you can think of your XP bar as an "FP Bar" — eg, "I need 15 FPs to hit the next level".

Then every 4-5 levels you can chill out and go catch up on 1-2 planets worth of Class Missions (while they're still green/yellow and giving XP) to relax your nerves and enjoy the story. :)

Wow. Nicely done!

/thread

Thank you for the awesome response, sir.

What I've been doing is Kuating like mad (although on the average day I have time to run 1 or 2 Kuats, no more) and then waiting until my class quests are gray, so I can basically bypass everything but the bare minumum. Riding my speeder past a bunch of mobs and then mopping the floor with the boss who has been built up as this huge threat is kind of fun.

This is after doing every planetary/side quest for each faction once.

Hey guys, it's my first time back since a couple months after launch and I see that there's group-finder now in the game which I think is a great thing. I want to level a healer and was wanting to know if it's possible to level solely through class story and flashpoints... Are flashpoint groups easy to come by? Or am I better off leveling as a dps spec, and respec'ing at cap?

Yes perfectly possible. I'm currently levelling a Sentinel that exact way. I will probably finish my class quest on Belsavis tonight and I'm at exactly the same level as the quest.

If you want to run more flashpoints than just Kuat Drive Yards all the time your best bet is healer or tank. Group finder queues as dps for the regular FPs can take a very long time.

It has been a while since I"ve played so forgive my noobness... but what's Kuat?

It's a new type of flash point that bolsters players (grouping anyone 15-54 into one group) and doesn't require tanks or healers so the first 4 in the queue get in. "Tactical Flash Point". Check it out via Group Finder.

It's a new type of flash point that bolsters players (grouping anyone 15-54 into one group) and doesn't require tanks or healers so the first 4 in the queue get in. "Tactical Flash Point". Check it out via Group Finder.

Ty sir

Lots of good suggestions posted already. I would just like to add that, with the XP boosts available now, any class can usually level through class story plus any other single XP-gaining activity. Normal flashpoints will pop faster for tanks and heals though.

• class story + flashpoints (traditional or KDY)
  • class story + warzones
  • class story + GSF
  • class story + space missions
  • class story + planet missions

With all the XP boosts available (legacy, guild, CM consumables), you can almost level exclusively through class stories. During a double XP weekend, this is even more true.