Is Cybertech worth it over Biotech?

kaischris

Hello everyone I’m about two weeks new to SWTOR after getting my start wars itch and loving it. I picked up Cybertech with the appropriate supporting skills and am at about 280 with each. I started doing research and it seems there is no point to advancing Cybertech? What I am reading suggests that past 600 you can purchase the best mods / enhancements. It’s only good for grenades and I’m not planning on PvP.

This being my first character (a sniper) I plan on keeping them through all the endgame content as my main. I was wondering should I switch to Biotech now and just cut my losses so I can benefit from the 600+ biotech options / selling biotech consumables?

Thanks!

I would agree that, at this time, Cybertech seems relatively useless. It's much easier and cheaper to just get 306 drops rather than trying to craft, then DeCon, then craft again, etc. But of course, that's subject to change.

With healing companions there's not that much need for med-pacs, let alone re-usable ones. But Biotech can make lots of single use med-pacs for itself and alts. And, once you get the schematic for the re-usable med-pac, it is handy on occasion.

So, at this time, I'd suggest Biochem over Cybertech. But I'd suggest Synthweaving over both of them - for the augment slots, and critical (+ alacrity and defence) augments. Or Armstech, or Armomech, for augments, or Artifice for dyes.

I have crafters of each type, and at this time Cybertech is the least used of them.

Cybertech's strong point - unlike other Crafting skills - isn't immediately obvious; if you like space missions (not Galactic Starfighter, but the ones with your class ship accessed from the galaxy map) then you can get ahold of schematics to craft better ship equipment with Cybertech.

Biochemistry's is easily seen in the medpacks/medkits and stims you can craft, though personally I find that most of the time I'm perfectly fine with the ones I pick up just playing the game. The drawback is that Biochemistry is stand-alone in its materials; the other five draw from shared pools (scavenged metals and compounds for Arms, Armor and Cyber, for example).

Thanks for the replies! I’m not familiar with augments from synth weave aren’t those available for purchase as well? I was mainly thinking biochem for cooldown damage boosting stims... is that a thing lol? I figured consumables would be more sellable on the GTN and the damage boost from the stim would be better than an augment?

Thanks for the replies! I’m not familiar with augments from synth weave aren’t those available for purchase as well? I was mainly thinking biochem for cooldown damage boosting stims... is that a thing lol? I figured consumables would be more sellable on the GTN and the damage boost from the stim would be better than an augment?

Also, crafting professions such as Cybertech can be used to make augment kits, so they're not entirely useless.

Artifice can make dyes and color crystals, but can't craft augment kits.

Biochem isn't able to craft augment kits either, but can make stims.

It's hard to compete on the GTN as a new player (at least long term) selling any of these things, however, because other crafters with an army of alts and large guild benefits can make a larger quantity for far cheaper. Augment kits are an option, and you can make them for yourself, which saves you money.

The same thing goes with stims for biochem. Even if you don't sell them on the GTN, you can still use them yourself.

Also, crafting professions such as Cybertech can be used to make augment kits, so they're not entirely useless.

Artifice can make dyes and color crystals, but can't craft augment kits.

Biochem isn't able to craft augment kits either, but can make stims.

But couldn’t I just purchase all the augments on the GTN? From what I’m reading it seems biochem is the only crew skill with an exclusive “perk” (cooldown meds / stims).

You can purchase everything on the GTN, even the med-pacs and stims.

The usual thing is, which is cheaper. Also, depending upon what your aim is, you can get away with Mk-10 augment slots and compatible augments, rather than the more expensive Mk-11s.

Whether or not it's cheaper to just buy off the GTN depends a lot upon what materials you need to buy and their fluctuating costs, the Jawa junk you have, etc.

But couldn’t I just purchase all the augments on the GTN? From what I’m reading it seems biochem is the only crew skill with an exclusive “perk” (cooldown meds / stims).

Augments can get pretty pricey off the GTN, but reusable adrenals (stims are so cheap and last so long that reusable versions aren't usually worth it) are a nice perk to have on your character. However, you should know that crafting last expansion's reusable adrenals can be pricey, and this expansion's reusable adrenals is next to impossible unless you have endless time and resources (the reverse engineering chances are like 5%).