How to help your healer

jjmartin

dear healers, if a tank guards you HEAL them.

tbh i've given up guarding healers in wz's on my juggy because they don't heal me.

i'll guard the healer, the healer will start getting damaged, he will spam heals on himself when he's at 80% health (most healers seem to panic when they are taking damage and ignore everyone except themselves, or try and run off) meanwhile i am at 20% health from taking his damage and he's ignoring me completely.

i know it's hard to understand, but healing me is like healing yourself, and if you're a sorc put a bubble on me too, it's like a double bubble

1) Unless you tell them that you're guarding them there is no way to know exactly who it is that is gaurding you because the icon doesn't list a specific name.

2) I run with a tank that dies a lot because he guards me and I frequently don't heal him. I don't heal him and I don't heal myself either. I generally focus on healing DPS and then the tank and then myself.

My friend has probably died 2,000+ times because he is guarding me and he has never complained at all because he knows I am still doing my job and he is still earning lots of medals from guarding me.

Tanks get more medals from just using GUARD then healers do for healing.

Unless you're a merc, or I know from past experience that you're absolutely amazing, you're not getting my Guard because whatever contribution you do is unlikely to be enough for me to risk my HPs.

If someone is on you I will kill them. It may not show upa s Protection but it definitely saves you.

If I throw the Huttball to you, it is usually for a good reason. Pick up the ball and start moving, even if you're a Merc who has no ability to run the ball until you see someone in front of you.

This isn't a game where healers are the center of the universe. A guarded healer that isn't a merc is an easy kill against strong DPS. Guarding someone just because he's a healer is a very reliable way to lose more games than you should.

Originally Posted by Evuke

dear healers, if a tank guards you HEAL them.

tbh i've given up guarding healers in wz's on my juggy because they don't heal me.

i'll guard the healer, the healer will start getting damaged, he will spam heals on himself when he's at 80% health (most healers seem to panic when they are taking damage and ignore everyone except themselves, or try and run off) meanwhile i am at 20% health from taking his damage and he's ignoring me completely.

i know it's hard to understand, but healing me is like healing yourself, and if you're a sorc put a bubble on me too, it's like a double bubble

I heal tanks more than I do myself because after being guarded a few times, I realized that they are squishier than me with guard up. I think a lot of healers aren't used to being guarded, and the normal healer reaction is to start healing when they see the health bar start dropping.

I'm guessing they are trying to anticipate a huge damage spike incoming, which isn't all too uncommon for healers in WZs. They probably just aren't too used to being guarded. I've run hundreds of WZs and been guarded maybe 30 times. It took some getting used to the first few times.

I wanted to echo the thoughts on:

1. Turning extra bits of your name off. That seems simple, but it can be very confusing if it costs me an extra second to figure out who you are.

2. Try not to wander out of LOS. This happens way more than it should in the middle part of Alderaan.

Kiting is useless in this game for a number of reasons.

As a commando healer, I have one heal that can be casted on the move and kolto bomb is only good for the buff it gives. So if I choose to run, I am effectively CCing myself because it is likely that ranged and melee attackers will still be able to do some form of damage to me while I am on the run and unable to heal myself.

Or I will run into a bigger crowd of people.

The only exception to this is when I can safely run around a pillar or something while the other player is snared.

I have the same problem. I'm totally useless on the run. This actually brings us back to how to help your healer:

Try to stay in one general area if you're in combat. I can't follow you across the map and heal you at the same time if you're kiting someone (or being kited).

oh and for everybody that complains about no heals sometimes, bare in mind sage has very few options to cast while moving, he needs to be still for the big heals, so if he has to kite imps much less healing for you, this also goes for raiding...and if the boss enrages its not, i repeat, its not a healers fault :)

thank you for your consideration

ATTENTION TANKS. if you put a guard bubble on a healer make sure you tell that healer that you in fact put it there. i don't know who put it there . maybe it says somewhere but i don't have time to look i'm busy.

ALSO . it does not help us when you charge or leap to someone on a higher or far platform that we cannot access. we healers then have to run all the way around to get up there hoping we don't get ambushed on the way. OK ?

Edited by Mongrul

As a healer (Sith Sorc and a Jedi Sage) I generally keep my bubble on myself and keep my HoT ticking on myself even when I'm not under attack. I call it preventative medicine. That way when I do get attacked there is a little mitigation in place and my other heals have their bonus in place thanks to the HoT I just cast. It took some time to develop the habit, but it pays off in the long run especially since you can take a punch or two thanks to your bubble and the HoT before you have to pull up stakes and run for it.

I try and hold my Force Speed until I need it to kite away from DPS. This is helped by making sure you set up in the right spot where you have good situational awareness. That means that the WHOLE PLAY is in front of you. The most dangerous enemy is the one to your side or your back out of view. This way if the pack breaks off your tank and starts towards you, you can pop Force Speed and away you go.

I consider it my responsibility to let my Tank know I'm under attack and need a peel. If I don't let the tank know I'm in trouble and we both die, that's my fault. Its not fair to expect them to get on their target and do their job and watch my health bar at the same time.

The one thing I would caution tanks about is Force Jump. Only use it when you're facing single enemies. When you Force Jump into the middle of a pile of enemies, you're going to die, which is bad. The other problem is when you Force Jump you're more than likely going to jump out of heal range and that will require the healer to step up out of the nice hidey hole they've found to heal you from and expose themselves to the pile of enemies that just ate your lunch. Then you'll both die and that's really bad. I know the ol' Tigger Bounce is a fun move and it looks epic as you go flying through the air with Light Saber's blazing, but then you come back to earth and your just a fool with a glowy stick standing in hip deep in enemies with lots of sharp, pointy things. Save Force Jump to pounce on the kiting enemy healer.

A good rule of thumb for all tanks and DPS ... First on the Charge is First to the Morgue. Stay patient and make your enemies charge you so your healers can set up and do their work at a safe distance from the enemies DPS.

My point is that it's impossible to keep the GROUP alive if YOU are dead. Please remember that I didn't say that you should only heal yourself.....I did say that you should usually prioritize yourself first for heals because when you go down, your team goes down. As with anything, it's not completely black and white, but I think any reasonably intelligent person ought to be able to figure out that much for themselves, so it goes without saying.

I figured it was obvious that you should target someone who's about to die before you target yourself if you're not in danger of dying imminently.

You would think that but it is the exact problem we are talking about here. There are LOTS of healers out there that will heal themselves up to 100 before dropping a heal on the tank. It is rediculous. As for telling the healer I have them guarded that just comes down to situational awareness and really doesn't matter. It is fairly easy to identify the person guarding you as they will be the one trying to stay within 15m of you and likely trying to peel whatever is attacking you. This is of course assuming the tank is halfway decent. If they aren't then they probably don't deserve the heals anyway :) In the end though a healer should not be healing themselves when they are at 80% and their tank or DPS is much lower than that regardless of guards.

Also I find it funny when people call for peels in PvP. You can't peel in PvP as there is NOTHING I can do to force there DPS or Tank to attack me instead of you. The only thing I can do is try and kill him before he kills you. If he has a healer healing him this may be almost impossible for me to do.

Aroidan:

The thread is "how to help your healer", not "how non-healers think healers should heal". With respect to healers healing themselves vs. their groupmates: a healer can't heal you if he isn't alive.

Your example is a pretty rare case in my experience. The healer that's supposedly healing himself when he's at 80% and you're at 20% might be doing one of the following and you'd have no way of knowing:

1) He might be healing somebody else who's also at 20%.

2) He might be out of LoS or Range relative to you (very likely in my experience).

3) He might be actively taking damage and only at 80% because the healing is keeping him there (and he would die in seconds if he stopped healing himself).

4) He might be healing himself because a healer whose health is below 100% becomes a target for opportunistic DPS very quickly.

5) He might be unable to find you in his operation frame because your Legacy name is displayed as a surname (or because players occasionally don't show up in the operation frame at all).

6) Even if you see his health going up, that doesn't mean he's self-healing or using heals that could be used on you instead (http://www.torhead.com/ability/b39iOqk/adrenaline-rush).

If you do have a way of knowing, then you should be paying attention to what you're doing instead of watching everybody else's health and action bars.

Edit: Also, if you have guard on a healer, he should be following you, not the other way around. You definitely need to tell him you're the one who's guarding him.

Edited by Dzhokhar

Yea a lot of people make life pretty difficult for even a good healer.

1) If I heal you, Don't think you are the only one I'm healing... We are not best buds now, You still need to play smart and I will not abandon everyone so you can run into a mass of the enemy and try to get kills.

2) Notice If you are getting Heal ticks or bubbles on yourself... That is your Queue to stand and fight. Do not continue to run away or leave my LOS... You are killing yourself.

3) Peel enemies off me please.

kthxbai

Yea a lot of people make life pretty difficult for even a good healer.

1) If I heal you, Don't think you are the only one I'm healing... We are not best buds now, You still need to play smart and I will not abandon everyone so you can run into a mass of the enemy and try to get kills.

2) Notice If you are getting Heal ticks or bubbles on yourself... That is your Queue to stand and fight. Do not continue to run away or leave my LOS... You are killing yourself.

3) Peel enemies off me please.

kthxbai

1) Yeah, that is just dumb for people to do in general. 4 or 5 on 1 s a death sentence regardless of heals.

3) You do realize that no one can truely peel enemies off of you right? The best I can do is root them or stun them so you can move out of range of them. If they want to continue to attack you they will do so no matter what action I take. Best scenario is that my DPS is enough to drop them but if they are getting heals that can be tough to do.

Aroidan:

The thread is "how to help your healer", not "how non-healers think healers should heal". With respect to healers healing themselves vs. their groupmates: a healer can't heal you if he isn't alive.

Your example is a pretty rare case in my experience. The healer that's supposedly healing himself when he's at 80% and you're at 20% might be doing one of the following and you'd have no way of knowing:

1) He might be healing somebody else who's also at 20%.

2) He might be out of LoS or Range relative to you (very likely in my experience).

3) He might be actively taking damage and only at 80% because the healing is keeping him there (and he would die in seconds if he stopped healing himself).

4) He might be healing himself because a healer whose health is below 100% becomes a target for opportunistic DPS very quickly.

5) He might be unable to find you in his operation frame because your Legacy name is displayed as a surname (or because players occasionally don't show up in the operation frame at all).

6) Even if you see his health going up, that doesn't mean he's self-healing or using heals that could be used on you instead (http://www.torhead.com/ability/b39iOqk/adrenaline-rush).

If you do have a way of knowing, then you should be paying attention to what you're doing instead of watching everybody else's health and action bars.

Edit: Also, if you have guard on a healer, he should be following you, not the other way around. You definitely need to tell him you're the one who's guarding him.

Ok I guess I will just take these one by one haha

1) He isn't healing someone else it is a pretty simple task to watch the animations to see what the healer is doing for instance a Kolto comming flying in over his head and then his health going up to full.

2) In almost all the scenarios I am talking about I am standing right by the healer (within 15m) and can quite clearly see what he is doing which means I am definately in line of sight or maybe he needs to rotate at worst but there is NO terrain in the way.

3) If the healer is taking such massive damage I am also taking massive damage and will go down in seconds (Guard does not prevent damage it transfers it). Learn to shift healing targets faster so that you can drop a heal on the guy next to you. Seriously I know it can be done, see healers do it all the time (good ones at least).

4) A healer who doesn't have guard on him is an oppertunitity for DPS. Also you are already being attacked and 25% of that damage is being transfered to me. That is the scenario we are talking about here.

5) Again I am usually standing RIGHT next to the healer you can see my name clear as day. If you can't see someone standing next to you then you have a larger problem.

6) Again if you are paying attention to the animations it is easy to tell if he is healing himself or not. Seriously it is not hard to notice a commando bust out the datapad punch in numbers and see the probe fly in over their head and heal them. I am right next to them trying to kill that Marauder who is hitting them and hoping that my DPSers can drop whoever is healing the Marauder.

Also I don't need to look at your action bar to know what you are doing, there are animations that give me that information.

Really the healer needs to go to where the DPSers need heals. I only exclusively guard the healer on my vanguard because I am a RANGED tank which means that I don't need to be in the thick of things to get my DPS in. I can stand back with the healer. The healer needs to position themselves in areas that are good for healing the group which I will have a much harder time telling then they will (Seriosuly if I know where the healer needs to be to heal I might as well roll a heal bot and bring them with me lol)

If I am on my guardian I rotate my guard as best as I can to whever is close to me and getting focus fired on. Sometimes this is a healer, sometimes this is a DPSer, sometimes it is a tank who doesn't have guard up.

You can absolutely peel enemies off me....

Although they could potentially keep attacking me it would be foolish, If I am bubbling sprinting away and healing myself.

My brother peels attackers off me all the time...

What you described is EXACTLY what peeling is lol...

8 times out of 10 just you going PEW PEW in there face is enough to make a noob frazzled and forget about me.

Edited by KurleyKilla