Player and Companion combos

DrFaroohk

Well personally speaking, if I'm playing a dps character I use a healer companion and if playing a healer character I use a dps companion. Works well enough for me as I've never really found the tank companions that good.

Depends of course at which level you gain access to which companion according to which class you decide to play.

Edited by Micadog

Player Tank and Companion Healer or Companion Tank and Player healer both work well, although they are probably the slowest option.

Player DPS can work well with any of a Tank, DPS or Healer companion.

DPS & Companion DPS burn through groups of Standard/Strong mobs quickly, and while you might wipe (die) occasionally you can typically regroup and complete the fight against a reduced set of enemies, although the trick is to do less damage initially to make sure that your companion gets the aggro at the beginning of the fight - if the companion dies first you can still fight, but if you die first the companion disappears.

DPS & Companion Tank works well, but is a bit slower. You usually have fewer aggro issues as the tank will pick up aggro, so you can start with some high-damage attacks and your companion will pick up the aggro again if mobs start attacking you.

DPS & Healer Companion should work fairly well, but it does present a problem I have seen a few times with companions (not just with Healers, but with all of them) - every now and then, your companion will just goof off - stand there as if they are being given oral sex by a **** star - for half the fight, sometimes not even responding when you specifically tell them to use an attack that is not on cool-down. When you are a DPS type trying to manage your own complex rotation and your companion gets into this state, your ability to rescue the situation in a close fight is minimal.

In terms of when you get the companions, the Jedi Sage/Sith Sorcerer have nice combinations - they can spec as a very good healer, and they have their Tank companion before they leave their starter planet. Similarly, the Bounty Hunter can spec as either a Tank or DPS/Heals and gets their Healing companion before leaving the starter planet.

None of the classes should have problems on the starter planet or Capital world, and it is only with the Heroic or Flashpoint missions, plus some of the later content in the game, where the choice of companion makes things significantly easier or harder.

Edited by Erevan_Kindelar

In my experience?

Player healer/DPS Companion: A player is smart enough to do the fancy footwork for the harder fights here. In normal pulls I spent 70% or more of the time damaging, 30% of the time healing; harder fights I just leaned more towards healing to keep my companion up. Downtime between fights is defined only by how efficiently you can manage your resources.

Player DPS/DPS Companion: Focus and burn. You'll likely need rest between fights, so it may average to the same overall questing speed as...

Player DPS/Healing companion: EZ mode. Extraordinarily little downtime.

I hear player tank/DPS companion is also very effective.

I haven't played this in a long time, but my tank pet / healer self combo worked really well. I could solo any overland mob up to and including champions. Might take a while, but was always easy enough to do.

Currently running a tankassin self / dps companion combo. I mitigate well enough that anything up to a gold mob is no problem. I've taken a couple of champs here and there, but usually can't damage them enough to win before my health goes out, but if I swap to healer companion for champion fights that works well, though it's pretty slow with the dps loss.

I also have a dps-spec'd sage using a tank companion. Since even in dps spec I can heal a bit, it's sort of a hybrid, but it works well.

My vanguard runs in tank spec with a healer companion. Combat is slow, but there's no downtime in between so it probably averages out.