Rise of the Hutt Cartel – Free to Subscribers Starting September 12th!

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to ask you something, truthfully. Why do people think that ANYONE that disagrees with them MUST work for BW/EA? Really? Why do you think this?

Why? Because any normal person would think this is BS, I know my guild did. And so what if I got it 6 months ahead of people? So what, im supposed to be punished for buying the expansion earlie on and putting cash in their pockets? Think of the money they made for keeping me around 6 months longer when I was buying CC coins, items on the store, and my general subscription fee, vs what they would have lost if I got bored because of no new content and went to Guild Wars 2?

if only they could do also do it in a way that's not making them lose several thousand (possibly millions) of dollars aswell,

nobody's suggested it but maybe giving everybody 1050 cartel coins and then giving people who bought it more then a month ago an extra 150 coins for every month they've already owned the expansion.

Except they wouldn't be losing several thousand dollars by giving everyone who bought RotHC 1050CC's. They would only be losing the value of what those subscribers would have purchased but choose not to because of the "free" CC's.

How many subscribers would have purchased 1,050CC's but instead would not because they're getting it for free? Some percentage, sure. And some will buy another 1,050 on top of the free ones. At $10 for that purchase it's not going to be a significant revenue loss.

It's like a store giving you a coupon. Yep, if someone comes in and buys JUST that thing, you miss out on some revenue. But those very few cases are more than made up for by others who come in and buy more stuff than just the couponed item.

Edited by DarthTHC

Good move. Really, RotHC is getting old so Subscribers having it for free is really good and gives others incentive to subscribe. As a matter of fact, I subscribed last month for the exact same reason - to get RotHC (better deal to have sub+RotHC than just RotHC). I can see why the people who bought the expansion early might be pissed off by the lack of rewards, but seriosly, if you bought it 5-6 months ago, why should you be pissed that it is becoming sub perk? I mean, purchasing it like 1-2 weeks before it went free would have been extremely annoying, since almost anyone would have prefered to wait for such a short time and save some money. However I doubt any of the early adopters would have preferred to stay restricted to lvl 50 and practically half of the content for 6 months to wait for free expansion.

You realize thats the hamster wheel EVERY MMO has right? Vanilla comes out, grab top tier gear etc etc. New expansion comes out, old gear is worthless grab new gear. Rinse, repeat and in Biowares case throw in extremely terrible armor designs while putting better looking stuff on a cash shop.

True, but they give more than 2 days notice that it is going live and do not give cartel coins/in game currency as recompense to only a portion of the people they sold it to.

It either goes free, or is bundled with the next expansion. This is not a well though rolled out plan, and it alienates the people who HAVE been loyal by showing NO loyalty to them.

you got 5 months of content for $10, thats $2 a month.

if you're THAT butt hurt about it, i'll trade you 1050 cartel coins for all gear, loot, silver titles story missions lvl 55 characters and everything else you've accumulated from lvl 50+ in the last 5 months....

what's that? you don't want to give me you several lvl 55 characters, your pvp/pve lvl 55 armor sets, have to redo all the story missions again for the characters who've already done them, and give me several million dollars worth of in game money and the stuff you bought with it for a measly 1050 cartel coins? well boo on you >=|

You don't seem to get it. They are giving coins to people that just bought the expansion out of appreciation. The fact that they are not doing this for everyone who bought it demonstrates a lack of appreciation to those of us who had the audacity to purchase it outside of their arbitrary date range.

you got 5 months of content for $10, thats $2 a month.

if you're THAT butt hurt about it, i'll trade you 1050 cartel coins for all gear, loot, silver titles story missions lvl 55 characters and everything else you've accumulated from lvl 50+ in the last 5 months....

what's that? you don't want to give me you several lvl 55 characters, your pvp/pve lvl 55 armor sets, have to redo all the story missions again for the characters who've already done them, and give me several million dollars worth of in game money and the stuff you bought with it for a measly 1050 cartel coins? well boo on you >=|

Why? Because any normal person would think this is BS, I know my guild did. And so what if I got it 6 months ahead of people? So what, im supposed to be punished for buying the expansion earlie on and putting cash in their pockets? Think of the money they made for keeping me around 6 months longer when I was buying CC coins, items on the store, and my general subscription fee, vs what they would have lost if I got bored because of no new content and went to Guild Wars 2?

Yes; anyone that has worked in marketing can tell that this move is to get more players to lv55, so they can sell them the 2nd expansion. I would still put my CC on Spring of 2014.
Folks at Reddit are saying that they told some fans they have 2 expansions in pipeline at one of recent cantina tours. It really could be SSSP for Decembber and then the normal planetary/story expansion in Spring like ROTHC was. We'll see, either way the announcement should come soon Edited by Pietrastor

You got what you paid for, you paid for access to the content and you're not losing that. You aren't being punished. Nothing is being taken away from you, I don't think you know what punishment is or you're just exaggerating thinking someone will pity you.

So you're saying if you didn't pay for the content and coins you would've been bored and left? Thanks for proving my point, you can leave the thread now.

it's apparent that at this point, everybody who's butt hurt obviously has not thought this thru at all (or not enough)

both not from a company stand point or a customer stand point.

you paid $2 a month ($10 / 5 months) for expanded content, unlocks, you also got some perks if you order early as well.

that's a pretty good deal for any subscription plan regardless of where, hell the news paper charges $2 a week in my area, i wish i could get it for $2 a month.

people who bought it less then 30 days ago, find out it's free, they just wasted $10, that they could have spent on 1050 cartel coins instead.

by giving EVERYBODY 1050 cartel coins you're basicly slapping new purchasers in the face because they've now lost out on that 5 months of bonus content because they waited, or are new comers, etc etc.

honestly i've not heard 1 person in this forum yet give a reason WHY they want those 5 months back, all it's been is "OMG I'M BUTT HURT COZ I TRADED 1050 CC FOR 5 MONTHS OF PLAY D: WWWAAAAHHH!! BUTT HURT IS HURTFUL! D: "

EA/BioWare make money from these things: boxed game, digital expansion, subscription, cartel market purchases.

If they give everyone who ever bought the expansion 1050 cartel coins; they're potentially drastically reducing their income from every single subscriber who purchased the expansion.

People paid for the expansion to gain access to content. They received access to that content. BioWare are compensating the people who purchased the expansion very recently and potentially haven't actually been able to access that content; or at least not for any significant time.... I really don't see the problem with that.

There's more they could do to make something like this more palatable to some of their subscribers; but the reality is you paid to access content and they gave you that content... they've not taken anything away from you.

Many of you really need to grow up.

Edited by NivekRo

You got what you paid for, you paid for access to the content and you're not losing that. You aren't being punished. Nothing is being taken away from you, I don't think you know what punishment is or you're just exaggerating thinking someone will pity you.

So you're saying if you didn't pay for the content and coins you would've been bored and left? Thanks for proving my point, you can leave the thread now.

So let's assume you have some knowledge or ability to anticipate how gamers, and specifically MMO gamers, react to things like this announcement.

Do you, Kalshic, think this move is a bright or not so bright PR move?

^Seconded.

So let's assume you have some knowledge or ability to anticipate how gamers, and specifically MMO gamers, react to things like this announcement.

Do you, Kalshic, think this move is a bright or not so bright PR move?

I already said people will cry about anything. Its a good PR move, the top reasons I can think of them making it free are:

1. New expansion coming soon and they need people to be level 55 so they'll buy that, so this current content will be obsolete and no one will care if thats the case in 4 months or whenever it comes out.

2. They need more subscribers to keep the game profitable(Same reason it went f2p).

People that bought it 6 months ago are not being reimbursed because Bioware/EA can get in trouble for charging for a product one day and giving it away for free the next. They're avoiding a class action lawsuit by doing so. People that paid for it 6 months ago still have access to their content.

You don't seem to get it. They are giving coins to people that just bought the expansion out of appreciation. The fact that they are not doing this for everyone who bought it demonstrates a lack of appreciation to those of us who had the audacity to purchase it outside of their arbitrary date range.

i doubt it's out of appreciation, it's more because they want to keep the integrity as a company, in most countries and states/provinces it's law that you have to provide a 14-30 day money back refund on most purchases.

anybody who's purchased it in the last 30 days can easily turn around and demand a full refund, then turn around and use that money to buy ice cream, bioware would lose a large amount of money if EVERYBODY did that, and once one person does it, it's guarantee it'd snowball and alot of people would do it. at least by giving them the same amount of their purchase in CC the money stays with bioware and nobodies wanting a refund on their recent purchase.

i'm sure if you read the consumer laws on electronic and digital purchases in your area there is a disclosure concerning refunds within a given time period. depending on your local laws you may be able to demand a full/partial refund for your RoTHC purchase and just use that money to buy the CC instead.

What the hell is your point anyhow? To troll people that are upset because some cat thats just bought the expansion last month or just now is getting coins, but loyal subscribers that got it when it released get 0? My point is, where is the love and appreciation for their loyal subscribers ya know? The ones that actually pay for the game? Sure you can say the same crap you did in the last threat about me being entertained or whatever and thats all im entitled to, and TBH im not trying to say we deserve special treatment, all IM saying is that maybe they would have won some browny points with their fans for remembering their loyal members too, and not just the ones hopping on board.

P.S You might disgaree with me, but don't be a smart ***. And intill you pay my sub, you don't tell me where to go, got it Mr. Keyboard Courage?

you're not being punished at all, bioware could have just not given you ANYTHING stating that you got 5 months of content, and anybody who's purchased it in the last 30 days gets a full refund of their purchase

which is basicly what they are saying, only they're forcing the people who are getting a refund to spend that refunded money on an equal amount of cartel coins.

I already said people will cry about anything. Its a good PR move, the top reasons I can think of them making it free are:

1. New expansion coming soon and they need people to be level 55 so they'll buy that, so this current content will be obsolete and no one will care if thats the case in 4 months or whenever it comes out.

2. They need more subscribers to keep the game profitable(Same reason it went f2p).

People that bought it 6 months ago are not being reimbursed because Bioware/EA can get in trouble for charging for a product one day and giving it away for free the next. They're avoiding a class action lawsuit by doing so. People that paid for it 6 months ago still have access to their content.

And by "good PR move", just so we're speaking the same language, you mean you think it's going to do more good than harm to the public's, and most importantly the players' perception of the game and its publisher?

i doubt it's out of appreciation, it's more because they want to keep the integrity as a company, in most countries and states/provinces it's law that you have to provide a 14-30 day money back refund on most purchases.

anybody who's purchased it in the last 30 days can easily turn around and demand a full refund, then turn around and use that money to buy ice cream, bioware would lose a large amount of money if EVERYBODY did that, and once one person does it, it's guarantee it'd snowball and alot of people would do it. at least by giving them the same amount of their purchase in CC the money stays with bioware and nobodies wanting a refund on their recent purchase.

i'm sure if you read the consumer laws on electronic and digital purchases in your area there is a disclosure concerning refunds within a given time period. depending on your local laws you may be able to demand a full/partial refund for your RoTHC purchase and just use that money to buy the CC instead.

Doubt it if you want to, but here is what they said:

"Finally, Subscribers who purchase Rise of the Hutt Cartel between August 11, 2013 and September 12, 2013 at 9:00AM PDT / 4:00PM GMT will be granted 1050 Bonus Cartel Coins in appreciation for their recent purchase of Rise of the Hutt Cartel. The 1050 Bonus Cartel Coins will be granted by September 13, 2013 at 9:00AM PDT / 4:00PM GMT"

This is a slap in the face to those people that have forked out $15/month sub fee. I mean really just a friggen title? This has all the halmarks of saying "Subs we don't care what you have done, but we want to give people who buy from us more stuff."

It boils down to this; take care of the people that have put the money into the game (Subs, and perfered status) and let those that are f2p have a way to work for what they get. This way the people that put money into the game feel like they have been thought about. If it don't happen, then I see a mass exodus from the game when some of the newer MMO's come out

just my 2cents

What the hell is your point anyhow? To troll people that are upset because some cat thats just bought the expansion last month or just now is getting coins, but loyal subscribers that got it when it released get 0? My point is, where is the love and appreciation for their loyal subscribers ya know? The ones that actually pay for the game? Sure you can say the same crap you did in the last threat about me being entertained or whatever and thats all im entitled to, and TBH im not trying to say we deserve special treatment, all IM saying is that maybe they would have won some browny points with their fans for remembering their loyal members too, and not just the ones hopping on board.

P.S You might disgaree with me, but don't be a smart ***. And intill you pay my sub, you don't tell me where to go, got it Mr. Keyboard Courage?

where's my 5 months of appreciation that early purchasers got that i don't because i waited till a week ago to get the expansion?