Server Transfers, 11 Months Later...

Icebergy

I got answers to two of the questions that I saw a bit about:

Can you transfer across server type, such as PvP to PvE?

Yes you can!

Can you transfer across region, like EU to NA?

As of the current plan, no. However, I want to state that this is absolutely something we want to do and as you saw with APAC it isn't a tech limitation. There are some other restrictions we are working through and we hope to have the ability to transfer across region moving forward. I will give you updates on this as I have it.

Hope that clears things up.

-eric

Any update on this subject? Transfers from EU - NA and vice versa

Edited by janktank

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, we might be a little more condescending with the waiting if we knew at least what those "restrictions" are, that you are working on..

Yes you can!

As of the current plan, no. However, I want to state that this is absolutely something we want to do and as you saw with APAC it isn't a tech limitation. There are some other restrictions we are working through and we hope to have the ability to transfer across region moving forward. I will give you updates on this as I have it.

-eric

• 2 weeks later...
Also still waiting on more info on the US-EU transfers.

Hope it's scheduled for 2014 as I'd like to join my friends on the EU servers with my main.

^ This. Very very much this.

My US friends stopped playing and it would be nice to switch to a European server with IRL friends that play the game now, without having to start over from scratch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I would gladly pay to transfer from eu to na, this is important to me because i work night shift and very few people are on na servers when im on, been playing for years across many servers and only ea servers are playing by the time i get off work. All my main characters are on na servers and i just can go through the leveling grind again, ive got 9 level 55 characters on servers that are dead when im on, I love this game and look forward to playing after work, but its just not as fun when my que times for flashpoints and pvp are over an hour long.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes you can!

-eric

Where are we currently with cross continent server transfers? Can we please have an update Eric?

They aren't doing it.. they came back on their word on what they originally said, I would've been happy with sharing my legacy across all toons but even that's not possible. I'm really disappoitned in the lack of transparancy and communication on this, I had to find out through a Q&A that they weren't even bothering with it anymore, and it's not even for a technical reason. They left us completely in the dark.

• 1 month later...
I just transferred a Jedi from The Harbinger to Begeren Colony last week. Seems to me they are working as intended.

I think the recent activity here seems to be about transfers between EU and NA servers, which aren't available yet. They said at one point they would allow them, it wasn't a technical issue that prevents them though.

I think the recent activity here seems to be about transfers between EU and NA servers, which aren't available yet. They said at one point they would allow them, it wasn't a technical issue that prevents them though.

Ohhhhhhh.... that. Yeah....

I anticipate EU to NA transfers to come in the same big patch as Advanced Class changes. :rolleyes:

We all know why this is being stalled. Server balancing. EU servers would go extremely light and NA servers would get massive influxes and lag spikes. So the equipment in the EU data center would have to be shipped to the US to accomodate the balancing. Only prob is, EU would be down for a week while this happens (or more if there are complications). So now, this means, BW would have to buy 4 new servers at close to $80k each, set them up, copy over the data, and then switch the balance while rerouting the login. A half million dollars in hardware, infrastructure, and maintenance teams just to make it all happen. Not sure I would hold my breath for this.

My credentials: I've worked in Data Centers for a decade and do things like this for other companies a few times a year.

Ohhhhhhh.... that. Yeah....

I anticipate EU to NA transfers to come in the same big patch as Advanced Class changes. :rolleyes:

We all know why this is being stalled. Server balancing. EU servers would go extremely light and NA servers would get massive influxes and lag spikes. So the equipment in the EU data center would have to be shipped to the US to accomodate the balancing. Only prob is, EU would be down for a week while this happens (or more if there are complications). So now, this means, BW would have to buy 4 new servers at close to $80k each, set them up, copy over the data, and then switch the balance while rerouting the login. A half million dollars in hardware, infrastructure, and maintenance teams just to make it all happen. Not sure I would hold my breath for this.

My credentials: I've worked in Data Centers for a decade and do things like this for other companies a few times a year.

When you say "we all know why this is being stalled" what you actually mean is "I've come up with a reason in my head that I think this is being stalled".

Why would European players move to NA servers to play with a high ping (and debateably worse community) when we're perfectly happy on our worlds and they have a decent population? In addition to that why would French and German players move from servers that specifically support their languages to play on a word with a high ping and no grouped language? I think you'll find the uptake of EU -> NA server transfers would be drastically less than you anticipate.

When you say "we all know why this is being stalled" what you actually mean is "I've come up with a reason in my head that I think this is being stalled".

Why would European players move to NA servers to play with a high ping (and debateably worse community) when we're perfectly happy on our worlds and they have a decent population? In addition to that why would French and German players move from servers that specifically support their languages to play on a word with a high ping and no grouped language? I think you'll find the uptake of EU -> NA server transfers would be drastically less than you anticipate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXZzE7D8svM#t=1981

That's Musco talking about it. Basically, yes, they could do it but most likely they never will. Exactly why, they only know. Mass exodus from one continent to another ? That's just a guess, an inaccurate one imo.

Actually, I mean SMART people know it is being stalled. And, if they are SO happy, why even ask for transfers at all?

Edited by Superman_AZ