No accent on bounty hunters

Ashu-ri

All other Imperial side characters have the imperial accent - well, accents of different origins, all bundled under "Imperial". Why does the bounty hunter have no accent? Is it because they are thought to be "independent"?

All other Imperial side characters have the imperial accent - well, accents of different origins, all bundled under "Imperial". Why does the bounty hunter have no accent? Is it because they are thought to be "independent"?

Like the one above said. BH wasn't raised on an Imperial world, hence they don't speak like one. BH is just working for them.

Bounty Hunter's aren't exactly loyal to the Empire, but they do a lot of business through them. The Republic's official distaste for the profession and the Empire's Mandalorian allies are why any Hunter seeking true fame and fortune (the player's character) typically works through Imperial channels. Lack of an Imperial upbringing and socialization, however, means one would not possess the typical accent, despite such an association. Edited by Osetto

What I don't get is that people from coruscant usually have british like accents asswell.

The Galactic Basic accent known as "Coruscanti" is similar to a British and Australian accent. I saw that from the star wars wiki. Also the bounty hunter is not born in the empire and is most likely born somewhere else.

What I don't get is that people from coruscant usually have british like accents asswell.

The Galactic Basic accent known as "Coruscanti" is similar to a British and Australian accent. I saw that from the star wars wiki.

That is true toward the Rebellion era when Coruscant became the seat of power for the Galactic Empire, it adopts a similar culture. Before then, who knows, maybe Core World 'Pubs enjoy a little posh in their dialect.

That is true toward the Rebellion era when Coruscant became the seat of power for the Galactic Empire, it adopts a similar culture. Before then, who knows, maybe Core World 'Pubs enjoy a little posh in their dialect.

Well obi-wan had an accent and that was several decades before the empire came into power.

As mentioned in the SW:TOR art book, the Sith Empire's accent will become the later Core accent that we are familiar with in the Galactic Civil War and Clone Wars several thousand years later. After the second war that happens in-game, the Republic and Empire supposedly "merge," and the Imperial accent becomes the Core's predominant accent. We don't know any details other than that. The current Coruscant accent is the same as the rest of the Republic.

What i don't get is

BH-Hired Gun-----Trooper-Works for the Gov'Ment

IA-Works for the Gov'ment-----Smuggler-Hired Gun

Though the Smuggler/IA and BH/Trooper line up combat wise, their stories are very different. I think this is somewhat intentional to make them feel different.

Edited by Ravager

As mentioned in the SW:TOR art book, the Sith Empire's accent will become the later Core accent that we are familiar with in the Galactic Civil War and Clone Wars. After the second war, the Republic and Empire supposedly merge, and the Imperial accent becomes the Core's predominant accent. We don't know any details other than that.

Well I guess that makes sense.

As mentioned in the SW:TOR art book, the Sith Empire's accent will become the later Core accent that we are familiar with in the Galactic Civil War and Clone Wars several thousand years later. After the second war that happens in-game, the Republic and Empire supposedly "merge," and the Imperial accent becomes the Core's predominant accent. We don't know any details other than that. The current Coruscant accent is the same as the rest of the Republic.

It's rather obvious what will happen. You can predict it clearly by playing the various stories. Once the emperor dies, the military goes "You know what? We are tired of being pawns of Sith madness" and they will revolt. Most of them Empire will just surrender unconditionally and join the Republic. The Purebloods will stick to their vengeance against the Jedi and be wiped out completely or, as is hinted in Korriban, will simply wither away due to breeding with humans to the point where children will be human instead of Sith. It's inevitable.

Bounty Hunter's aren't exactly loyal to the Empire, but they do a lot of business through them. The Republic's official distaste for the profession and the Empire's Mandalorian allies are why any Hunter seeking true fame and fortune (the player's character) typically works through Imperial channels. Lack of an Imperial upbringing and socialization, however, means one would not possess the typical accent, despite such an association.

Now, to be fair, the Republic DOES use Bounty Hunters. The Geno Haradan, in fact. They aren't paid very well compared to Imperial aligned Bounty Hunters, and they are strictly regulated by the Senate.

It's rather obvious what will happen. You can predict it clearly by playing the various stories. Once the emperor dies, the military goes "You know what? We are tired of being pawns of Sith madness" and they will revolt. Most of them Empire will just surrender unconditionally and join the Republic. The Purebloods will stick to their vengeance against the Jedi and be wiped out completely or, as is hinted in Korriban, will simply wither away due to breeding with humans to the point where children will be human instead of Sith. It's inevitable.

Absolutely. There is no doubt that is where the story line is heading, IMO. I am interested to see how the war ends (climactic battle or peaceful merging?) and specific elements of how the 'merge' takes place - what cultural elements mix? What do the Imperials bring to the Core? What does the Republic bring to former Imperial space? What happens to Dromund Kaas? Are Imperials happy to be in the Republic?

These details are interesting to me, and I think the merge will help bridge the gap between the end of the TOR era and the New Sith Wars. It's a great explanation for the Old Republic's transition to the Clone Wars-esque Republic from the movies (assuming the New Sith Wars didn't account for this already) and will certainly clear up any confusion as to why the Imperials have the Core accent and the Bendu emblem.

Now, to be fair, the Republic DOES use Bounty Hunters. The Geno Haradan, in fact. They aren't paid very well compared to Imperial aligned Bounty Hunters, and they are strictly regulated by the Senate.

That is true - the GenoHaradan did have an integral position in the Republic until it's transition into the Empire.

However, note that bounty hunters were more widely used during the Great War until the Republic realized how hard to control they actually were (as evidenced by the Braden incident). This limited the amount of bounty hunters used by the Republic, and explains the higher employment rate in the Cold War and beyond in the Empire. Daniel Erickson talked about this at some point pre-launch, I wish I had saved his comments!

Edited by Ravager

That's basicaly it. Episodes IV V and VI were filmed mainly out of Pinewood studios in London. So whenever you were in space, it was british extras and actors doing the casting.

The main characters were all republican, but also flown across from the US because they were the stars.

The whole Republic/Imperial accent then just became an in joke from that point onwards from what I can see.

What exactly is an Imperial accent? How is it defined?

It's hard to explain in writing, but I'll try....

It's. Just. When. They speak. They intonate. As if. They got. No. Idea. Of where. The sentence. Starts. And where. It should. End.

:D

This "accent" actually bothered me about imp side even more then all their "kill them all for da empire" policy. It does not have any logic.

As they put it into the game - the real difference between rep and imp is that imps have problems with proper intonating and prefer black\dark grey matreials with red LEDs to brown\yellow ones with blue LEDs. And their menthal health is in real danger (megalomania must be the top popular diagnosis among local therapists)

Seems the smugglers and BHs are both independent,

Though at some point the Empire screws over the Smuggler characters, and the Republic screws over the BH characters, hence their current loyalties

Though at the end of the BH storyline, where you have a choice to spare the republic guy and kill the sith lord, how are BHs still loyal to the empire after that?

It's hard to explain in writing, but I'll try....

It's. Just. When. They speak. They intonate. As if. They got. No. Idea. Of where. The sentence. Starts. And where. It should. End.

:D

This "accent" actually bothered me about imp side even more then all their "kill them all for da empire" policy. It does not have any logic.

As they put it into the game - the real difference between rep and imp is that imps have problems with proper intonating and prefer black\dark grey matreials with red LEDs to brown\yellow ones with blue LEDs. And their menthal health is in real danger (megalomania must be the top popular diagnosis among local therapists)

GAHAHAHA.. HAHAHAAAHAHAH... HAha... HAH hah... ah... hah... *sniffles* That was *********** hilarious.

But yes, that's exactly how it is.

Seems the smugglers and BHs are both independent,

Though at some point the Empire screws over the Smuggler characters, and the Republic screws over the BH characters, hence their current loyalties

Though at the end of the BH storyline, where you have a choice to spare the republic guy and kill the sith lord, how are BHs still loyal to the empire after that?

The Empire does not suffer criminals, even if it temporally let them be and uses them for a time, eventually the Empire will put them down. There is no future for crime within the Empire, as it is a militaristic dictatorship that cannot tolerate any defiance or opposition to it's laws.

The Republic doesn't like criminals ether, but they have a capture and imprison policy, rather than a kill them all policy (that the Empire has), and they are much less effective than the Empire at hunting them down (no torture and civil rights, make it harder).

So Smugglers must support the Republic, for their own sake.

The Republic does not (officially or legally) hire Bounty Hunters and according Republic law, should arrest and imprison all on sight as they are murderous criminals.

The Empire legally hires Bounty Hunters and according to Imperial Law, they are (mostly) legal citizens/external hires, provided they work for the proper chain of command and don't upset the Empire.

So Bounty Hunters work for the Empire, because the Empire keep them in work, well paid and mostly free of legal repressions.

Edited by AngelousWang

The Empire does not suffer criminals, even if it temporally let them be and uses them for a time, eventually the Empire will put them down. There is no future for crime within the Empire, as it is a militaristic dictatorship that cannot tolerate any defiance or opposition to it's laws.

The Republic doesn't like criminals ether, but they have a capture and imprison policy, rather than a kill them all policy (that the Empire has), and they are much less effective than the Empire at hunting them down (no torture and civil rights, make it harder).

So Smugglers must support the Republic, for their own sake.

The Republic does not (officially or legally) hire Bounty Hunters and according Republic law, should arrest and imprison all on sight as they are murderous criminals.

The Empire legally hires Bounty Hunters and according to Imperial Law, they are (mostly) legal citizens/external hires, provided they work for the proper chain of command and don't upset the Empire.

So Bounty Hunters work for the Empire, because the Empire keep them in work, well paid and mostly free of legal repressions.

Very informative. Thanks