Discussion Topic: Game Update 5.4 and the Next Roadmap

KeithKanneg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except it isn't.

And if you argument starts with a lie then the rest is not worth reading.

All The Best

I think his point was, the game has a population that would fit on ONE server...easily.

(EA reports 1 million dollar loss in annual net revenue)

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHHHHH! Successful my ***!

Don't worry, that one active server in the game has enough people on it to fix in a 711

That is actually not what the quote says. Ergo, it is factually incorrect to say "$1 million dollar loss in annual net revenue." It is talking about a quarterly decrease in subscription revenue from the same quarter of the previous year ending in September 2016.

It is impossible to determine anything from the reddit snippet you quote about annual net revenues. To prove I'm not white knighting, it could be far more than a $1 million loss, for example, which would feed your narrative well.

TL;DR: A little accounting knowledge is a dangerous thing. :rak_03:

Edited by Jdast

snip

Average numbers don't mean anything because of gear. People are a lot more geared now than when 5.0 was released. Top parses with around the same rotation (if it hasn't changed, not the case for Viru), APM and crit are a good way to compare before/after. Yes I accept parses as valid data for a before/after spec changes. I'm not saying I accept parses as valid data to compare spec vs spec (though they provide good input).

Anyway enough of that. I'm happy you finally understood my point, it was quite a journey. Reading back my first post and the last thing you quoted, it is not so different at all. Both can be summarized to: "DPS target is imo too low for NiM, and changing the difficulty level mid expansion is bad for PVE progression". There is really nothing more than that in my first post. All I can think of is if you didn't assume my post was selfish and stupid and actually tried to understand it this could have been avoided. Guess it's a lesson for all of us to actually take a few minutes to try and understand what someone is saying before assuming they are wrong.

Do you understand how costly these types of games are to make? Companies like profit, and for an MMO to have storydriven content all the F'in time it means they have to cut into other teams! THAT MEANS NO NEW PVP CONTENT, LESS PVE ENDGAME!

I personally don't enjoy PVP that much (don't like competing with other people) but I'd be fine if they skipped some PVE or story content to make PVP folks happy. I find RotHC and SoR story \ PVE balance pretty decent (can't say much about PVP) - a storyline + some FPs \ Heroics + one or two raids sound about right and if something like this came out I'd be willing to pay for it if they asked for money.

Do you ask your little Xbox games to make raids in DLCs!?

I don't play Xbox games :) Other than this I mostly play point and click adventures (Grim Fandango, Sanitarium, The Cat Lady to name a few I like) and classic or retro cRPGs (Fallout 1-2, Planescape, Baldur's Gate, Wasteland, Underrail to name a few). Those usually don't have DLCs and if they do I skip them if they're not significant story pieces.

I agree with making the story elements mean more in the game, this is why the next mmo era needs to go to a hybrid open world.

Glad we can agree on something :)

Define "better".

Ok here you go Definition of BETTER....

adjective, compar. of good with best as superl.

of superior quality or excellence:

a better coat; a better speech.

morally superior; more virtuous:

They are no better than thieves.

of superior suitability, advisability, desirability, acceptableness, etc.; preferable:

a better time for action.

larger; greater:

the better part of a lifetime.

improved in health; healthier than before.

completely recovered in health.

adverb, compar. of well with best as superl.

in a more appropriate or acceptable way or manner:

to behave better.

to a greater degree; more completely or thoroughly:

He knows the way better than we do. I probably know him better than anyone else.

more:

I walked better than a mile to town.

verb (used with object)

to increase the good qualities of; make better; improve: to better one's grades;

to better the lot of the suburban commuter.

to improve upon; surpass; exceed:

We have bettered last year's production record.

Cards. to raise (a previous bid).

noun

that which has greater excellence or is preferable or wiser:

the better of two choices.

Usually, betters. those superior to one in wisdom, wealth, etc.

Idioms

better off,

in better circumstances.

more fortunate; happier:

Because of his asthma, he would be better off in a different climate.

better oneself, to improve one's social standing, financial position, or education:

He is going to night school because he wants to better himself.

for the better, in a way that is an improvement:

His health changed for the better.

get / have the better of,

to get an advantage over.

to prevail against.

go (someone) one better, to exceed the effort of; be superior to:

The neighbors went us one better by buying two new cars.

had better, would be wiser or more well-advised to; ought to:

We had better stay indoors today.

no better than one should be, morally inferior; immoral or amoral:

Don't speak to him; he's no better than he should be!

think better of,

to reconsider and decide more favorably or wisely regarding:

I was tempted to make a sarcastic retort, but thought better of it.

to form a higher opinion of:

I think better of him now that he's gone back to college.

Does that help? :D

That is actually not what the quote says. Ergo, it is factually incorrect to say "$1 million dollar loss in annual net revenue." It is talking about a quarterly decrease in subscription revenue from the same quarter of the previous year ending in September 2016.

It is impossible to determine anything from the reddit snippet you quote about annual net revenues. To prove I'm not white knighting, it could be far more than a $1 million loss, for example, which would feed your narrative well.

TL;DR: A little accounting knowledge is a dangerous thing. :rak_03:

What concerns me is that there is no more mention of this game in the EA financials at all any more and since then, if we go by torstatus history, the population has continued to decline to what I would conclude personally is the lowest point of all time for this game right now.

That being the case I imagine revenue has continued to decline also.

Actually the latest earnings call was today and here is all you can find on anything even closely related to this game:

Live services net sales were up 22% year on year, to $420 million. The growth was broad

based, driven by FIFA Ultimate Team, Battlefield 1, and The Sims 4. The esports mode in

FIFA Ultimate Team continues to attract new players and drive engagement. Notably, Sims

4 expansion packs continue to perform extremely well, and the last twelve months have

been the best in the title’s history. Both EA Access and Origin Access are up year on year.

Remember we have merged “Extra Content” and “Subscriptions, Ads and Other” into this

Live Services category.

The part in bold is important because it basically allows them to easily bury any revenue decreases this game is making (not making?) and not actually have to make them public because let's be honest ... such declines would be a drop in the bucket in this massive category over all.

Still ... form 10-Q to come, there could be something in that though there hasn't been in recent times.

In my opinion this game is in a form of life support mode as far as EA is concerned, it is given a meager budget and they tell BWA to do what they can with it whilst still aiming to meet revenue targets. Of course it could very well continue on like this for many years, just don't expect any massive increase in content or a reinvigorated interest from EA towards this game.

I completely disagree.

blah blah b;ah snip

reveal whether these points cause any problems in other situations as well, i.e. in chapters, flashpoints or PvP.

you assume that their dps goal matches up with the content of the game. no where do you show that it does. in game testing shows that it does not. it doesnt matter a rats *** if every spec is perfectly balanced if they cannot meet dps checks in boss fights. The combat teams has said previously that they do not care if classes cannot complete ops, all they care about is do they meet their internal(secret) dps target. If we dont like it we can complain to the ops team. Hell of a way to run a business.

Legally speaking, Free speech only applies to the government cannot impinge on your right of expression, and even only if that speech does not present the possibility of inciting or leading to physical danger or harm[ That's why you can't yell fire in a crowded movie theater if there isn't one because that could lead to injury of person or persons in direct result of their attempting to flee the 'fire". ergo Criminal mischief.

If the government is not an involved party, there is no such thing as free speech. Unless a public forum is under the purview of a governmental agency, i.e. any internet forum not there of, you have no right to free speech, that is why BW can say what we are and are not allowed to say on their forums. They get to deciede what speech is permissible and they are under no obligation to even explain why. If they say we are not allowed to talk about Luke Skywalker, than we have no legal right to talk about Luke Skywalker on their forums.

The right to Free speech has no legal baring among private parties.

winner^^

Getting better at what exactly? I don't enjoy ops, I enjoy PvP and story those are the only things I do in game.

I hate pvp, but dont look down or sideways at people that do. Have fun with it, while I wont be in there with you, I am hoping you are having fun doing it. I raid, and do other things in game. We are here to have fun together, not compete for some imaginary prize.

I hate pvp, but dont look down or sideways at people that do. Have fun with it, while I wont be in there with you, I am hoping you are having fun doing it. I raid, and do other things in game. We are here to have fun together, not compete for some imaginary prize.

Yeah, exactly! Even though I may not enjoy everything that this game has to offer, I'm glad it's there for others who do! And they should play in whatever way suits them best.:)

Does this mean there is LIFE after taking the Eternal Throne? Please say yes.

I personally hope that there will be a completely new direction in the story that takes us out of this silly Zakuul stuff and allows us to go straight from the ending of SoR to that new direction. I'll be happy to carry on being able to ignore KotFE and KotET and move on from it.

I kind of liked going through those two. Then again, I loved the cinematics and had a fun time tweaking Arcan's nose... and watching Vaylin loose it every time she didn't get her way. LOL. Have to admit, I prefer NOT choosing the Emperor/Empress speech and doing the "Let's all get along " speech for the ending. heeheh

I personally hope that there will be a completely new direction in the story that takes us out of this silly Zakuul stuff and allows us to go straight from the ending of SoR to that new direction. I'll be happy to carry on being able to ignore KotFE and KotET and move on from it.

I hope we wake in our apartment on Coruscant / Dromond Kaas and the whole KotFE/KotET/Iokath garbage has been a bad dream.

Make it so that it has been an "implanted dream" from our respective factions, as a warning of what may happen unless "Our Side" wins the current Empire/Republic conflict quickly and decisively and let us get back to playing Star Wars; all this Keeping Up With The Valkorions rubbish has gone on far, far too long.

All The Best

Does this mean there is LIFE after taking the Eternal Throne? Please say yes.

I would almost prefer there weren't and they tried something else with some fresh characterization.

Well unless they can actually get out of the corner they've written themselves into to make our main toons that did get through KotET interesting again.

I hope we wake in our apartment on Coruscant / Dromond Kaas and the whole KotFE/KotET/Iokath garbage has been a bad dream.

Make it so that it has been an "implanted dream" from our respective factions, as a warning of what may happen unless "Our Side" wins the current Empire/Republic conflict quickly and decisively and let us get back to playing Star Wars; all this Keeping Up With The Valkorions rubbish has gone on far, far too long.

All The Best

Lol yeah "defeat the Republic or you will have an eternity of Keeping up with the Valkorians in store!". Not sure about my main toon but I would be doing everything possible to win that conflict to avoid that fate.

All The Best

Such bad writing for it all to be a dream, no thanks!

Such bad writing for it all to be a dream, no thanks!

Yet the "all a dream" part would be a highlight of the writing quality in the long tun.

It was fun yes, it was interesting but compared to every and all story that came before ... it was sub-par and left no room to really head anywhere on the back of it all.

Yet the "all a dream" part would be a highlight of the writing quality in the long tun.

It was fun yes, it was interesting but compared to every and all story that came before ... it was sub-par and left no room to really head anywhere on the back of it all.

Changing what people see as bad writing with writing that is worse isn't really an improvement, even if it's a convenient setup for some situations. I remember how upset some people were when Arthas died, but it turned out ok. While WoW does seem like it has a lot more to work with and they did have villains left, The lich king was a pretty big deal. If the writers at bioware want to, they can figure something out, there is no end to creativity.

But a bad dream really, really is a poor cop out.

Well, if they went the bad dream route, I'd be gone. I don't know exactly how long those have been out but if you're still here then it can't have been that bad of an experience. But just erasing it would be like way back on Corelia if the Republic had actually won the war, the Empire was completely defeated or destroyed. Plus the Emperor was really killed with no magical survival escape. All Imperial characters must plead their case before Seresh (or however you spell it... the woman in charge at the time), do some clean up work for the Republic or have only those PvP skills you get in legacy for attacks. Punching and jabbing might be fun. Unfortunately, she still doesn't trust you so you only get practice sabers... everyone who isn't put to death like all the bounty hunters. Just because you didn't enjoy all of it you want to ruin everyone's else experience so lets really ruin people's experiences. On the Republic side, the Jedi seem to have been wiped out so no one seems to have a connection to the force and they all become their crafting skill title (Jedi Consular to Biochemist maybe just Archeologist) to survive. But, it seems we lost our ship too so now we have to perform five missions for the spaceport operator just to get a chance to travel one way. Most of your day will be just doing these tasks because the clues to finding the Jedi are on different worlds. The secret is, you can never find them. Fun!

Yeah, I vote no to all a dream solutions.