Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

I have no problem with Free 2 play or Freemium.

However, I fail to see how this model (only charging for people who want to use the GTN or access Operations) is going to make any money.

As someone who intends to continue to pay the subscription as long as I'm actively playing, I'd like to have seen the Free to Play limit for story content stop after Act 2. Make people who want to play to the end of their class story pay to access that part.

Same way lotro did they give you the base game then quickly add to it so you have things to advance your character further. I am guessing I will be using my cartel coins to buy more character slots which explains why they have kept saying more character slots coming soon hehe.

I personally see it as pure benefit if they stick to the current model they have now. I was in LOTRO when they started a very similiar model and i head all the doomsayers but you know what 3 months after the f2p launch and i was still playing the game the same as i was before except that there was now more folks in the game, lotro was making more money so I had a ton of new content. As long as they dont alter the cartel stores to paytowin I can see myself playing this game for a very long time and that is with me already having 5 50s and 2 more close.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im just as pissed as the next person, ive watch, tested, and paid since it was possible to do so. If this was always there intention why have i paid a sub since launch?

Imo this can only go direction to please myself and many others.

Simply give F2P there own servers. There have been alot of reason stated in previous pages to why this should happen.

Other options?

Pay for want you want

PVP

Ops

Per chapter etc

If not i believe it should be extremily restricted and treated as KOTOR 3 only:

No PVP, No OPS, No GTN, No Legacy, No Profs, No General Chat (give them there own channel).

These are the thing i PAY for...

EA leave. Just sue yourselves... You've messed up Bioware into trying to make them a cash cow.. I want KOTOR 3, RC 2, and BF3. Thanks to new Lucas Arts president I'll be playing a failure of KOTOR 3 which is going to free-to-play. Go back to your studio and make more trailers for us to watch. They're good.

Most of the things mentioned above should be considered from the producers of this game so it won't happen again. Also make a movie of the trailers.

Edited by Vespassian

Anyway, if you guys can do this right, SWTOR just might see an upward trend for a change ;) I'll be keeping my sub active for the time being in the hopes the store doesn't get filled with game-breaking items to make a quick buck.

It's high time to look the reality in the eye. This is EA, the most greedy and short-sighted game company in the world which destroyed an epic setting (and epic potential) MMO.

They will start without pay-to-win in the cash shop and then, slowly, in little steps, they will start adding them in. Before you notice you will have to spend more then now on subscription to keep playing on the same level.

EA is a virus and LucasArts should have taken the game away from them.

I feel its a bad idea, from my experience of mmo's going free-to-play it ruins them :/ I feel that when they do go F2P they need to do separate servers for them, since after the server cross overs they current servers have enough people on them as it is during peak times.

Jedi need to die painfully so! I mean really the endless whine of my jedi my jedi is pathetic! You side gets to win every time in it's cliched cannoned good vs evil crap. Sith rule jedi drool! Besides jedi do not have thrones and since you jedi naturally stink it is only fair that you look like walking turds. DEATH TO THE JEDI!!!

I should not bother, because you're obviously a child. But, I was not talking at all about "Game Balance" - The rewards are a SITH THRONE and a SITH MASK. Where is the Jedi Master's chair? Where are the robes that look like they belong in Star Wars?

This is not about "Sith rule", this is about a company that hired an art department from the Warhammer MMO to create Republic armor that had no clue what a Jedi should look like. Yet, the Empire art department had a good number of Star Wars fans on their team.

So, unless you can comprehend what is being said in a given post, please do not reply.

Since they are going the F2P direction, it's EA's last push to get money out of this game because they know it failed losing so many players since the start. It's a sign of failure if they are switching F2P this early the game has only been out for what? 8 months?

This seems like the best place to post this as suggestions were asked for. I can tell you what would keep me on a sub.

1. Charge around $ 70.00 a year or keep the current price but allow up to so many simultaneous logins for family play.

2. Embrace the fact that people really do want kotor 3 – whatever. Translation, let people solo with pve crew.

Those two things would probably do a world of good.

...Simply give F2P there own servers....

OK, imagine BW will do what you suggested. An when your own server became depopulated and you will have no guildies or PUGs for ops, endless waiting queues for wz, what would you do then?

My first thought - I'm glad that they're taking some pages from DDO's freemium model (Or they just copied the entire manual....). That game has done very well since its swap to freemium. The population went from sparse to very healthy, so I hope it'll have the same results for SWTOR.

I just want to add my voice in support of this change. I will continue to subscribe, quite happily. If you look at the cost comparably as far as entertainment per hour, $15 a month is laughably cheap and for a game this fun, I'm happy to spend the money just as a way to show my continued support for Bioware. While this company has, in the last few years, delivered more disappointment than I am used to from their products I feel that when they hit it right, they hit it the farthest. The ME series is probably my all time favorite gaming experience, and SWTOR has proven to be a great experience as well. The recent layoffs and such worry me, as I hope that the team continues in its effort to provide new and updated content at the same rate, but they have done enough to earn my trust and support. Thanks for 8 months of continued entertainment, I am looking forward to many more!

I, on the other hand, find these news disturbing and sad.

Why pay $180 a year for a bit of additional content if you can get the story lines (1 - 50) for free?? I fear all they have done is make a bunch of the few subscribers left question : why pay? I mostly PvE so warzomes and PvP mean nothing to me. Now I understand this stuff is important to others, and gladly support it, but what do I get for my sub?

Another nail on the coffin. And just as GW2 is ready to come out... oh well. :(

translation, "We've seen SWTOR has steadily been declining in population and popularity. And with the release of Guild Wars 2 coming up, we found that the only way we're going to stay anywhere in the red is by offering up some really crappy F2P option."

Sorry, but this is just bad. Your fail attempt to bring us new content by making next to impossible Flashpoints and Operations, Denova and Lost Island, is just bad.

Denova is no fun when you wipe after wipe after wipe due to getting flung from the tank in the wrong direction or because Kephass is just a mother to kill... yea... guys, i know this is your first MMO.. but FFS... get out while you can and let SWTOR die with respect!!

I think they need to do what LOTRO did for former subbers. They got to keep most of thier ( up to 7 ) char slots....access to all content they had did before the conversion and even the extra gold above 4 gold cap for new FTP players. Could not gain any more above 4g but you atleast got to use what you had over it. And they were given a lot of the Turbine coins to use. Making it too restrictive for the former subbers is just a slap in thier faces.:mad: Edited by Valkirus

You can get sued you know? lucas arts wants people to play swtor :(

You can't get sued for playing the SWGEmu. Their server code is created from scratch and has nothing to do with Sony Online or Luca Arts. You are required to own a copy of the original game to play. Since those who will play have legally purchased a copy of the game, no one can be sued!! It's been tried already and it failed.

Edited by Jovann
typos

Why pay $180 a year for a bit of additional content if you can get the story lines (1 - 50) for free?? I fear all they have done is make a bunch of the few subscribers left question : why pay?

If you are a subscriber now, you probably won't want to unsub. There are likely going to be other restrictions placed on free accounts that haven't been made "official" yet, though BioWare has hinted at it. These restrictions include a credit cap, inventory cap, bank slot cap, etc. If you like PvP, you can only do Warzones so many times per week without a subscription. Also, anybody playing endgame will need to sub, as Operations will not be available to free players.

Granted, if somebody just wanted to get through the class story (play KOTOR 3-10), it would only cost them $15 to buy the game (if they hadn't already), and they could play for free for the entirety of that. And I am sure that some players will do that. However, I feel a lot of people will not want the restrictions placed on the free players.

ugh...now...give me craftable loot drops like in SWG and player housing so when the trolls come back to the game...i can go to my house and craft tables, statues, rugs, and spice and other cool ****e instead of being pi$$ed off at the community...no really...i want player housing and craftable loot....it WAS fun in SWG...you know it was.

This really makes me sad and confused! I love this game and now we are gonna have to deal with all the rift raft that is rude and snotty. That is why I don't play WoW anymore, cause of rude annoying people (little kids). We play as a family but respect others not sure if I am gonna like that. Seriously I hope it works but not looking foward to it!

ugh...now...give me craftable loot drops like in SWG and player housing so when the trolls come back to the game...i can go to my house and craft tables, statues, rugs, and spice and other cool ****e instead of being pi$$ed off at the community...no really...i want player housing and craftable loot....it WAS fun in SWG...you know it was.

That WAS a good part of SWG. The crafting system was second to none, and I did like that I had a house that was a physical object in the game (not an instance). However, it didn't make up for the fact that there was zero endgame. SWTOR has Operations that are fun and challenging (for my guild anyway).

The I would be ok with the crafting of vanity items, and some form of player housing (the ship doesn't really cut it, unless they really let you modify the inside). Even as a master Armormech, I don't know if I want the BoS gear to be player made. Looting gear in a raid feel more rewarding than purchasing it on the GTN.

Excellent decision Bioware, I applaud you and look forward to what you provide for the players.

I for one will continue to subscribe so that I can enjoy everything the game has to offer and get the perks that come with it. I have been a subscriber since Day 1 of Early Access with the Collector's Edition. I enjoy the game and the content you provide, despite what all the haters and trolls have to say (every day) about how "terrible" the game is.

I believe this new model is an acknowledgement of the changing business model of online gaming and reflects the best way to approach the market now.

Agreed!