Character Transfers Are Broken!

nabcobra

A short time ago, on a server far far away... (not as far as the APAC players... those poor souls)

Before server mergers I created a total of 52 characters each on 7 different servers. (364 total)

After server mergers I had 156 characters on Satele Shan and 208 characters on Star Forge.

I decided I wanted to move my legacy xp armor from Satele Shan to Star Forge.

I deleted 162 Characters on Star Forge, giving me a total of 46 characters out of a possible 65 (I purchased another character slot)

I deleted 104 Characters on Satele Shan, giving me a total of 52 characters out of a possible 65.

The global character cap is defaulted to 350 characters, and increases by one with every server character slot I have purchased, so since I have purchased and used 41 character slot increases, I should have a server character cap of 65 per server, and a global cap of 391.

When server mergers happened, I had a total of 364 characters, but for some reason (and this has happened to everyone) our global characters were DOUBLED when servers were merged. So after the merge, my global character cap should have been 390, but the game thinks that I had 728!

Now since then I have deleted 266 Characters, so now the game thinks that I have 462 global characters, when in fact I only have a total of 98.

I submitted an in game ticket detailing all of this information, and the customer service respondent told me this

I apologize that this happens to you in the game and for any inconvenience this issue may have caused. I know that it is frustrating and I would definitely feel the same way if this happen to me in the game. I have certainly checked the information you provided, they're currently capped to 40 max + 24 as a sub = 64 max, despite the last patch apparently making the max characters per server 100. This had led to a situation where if you have an overflow of say ~70-80 characters, there's no way to: create a new character or transfer a new character to the server without first deleting 10-20 characters to get down to 63/64 characters.

Yes Mr/Mrs Customer Service agent... I understand how this works... yet I just told you that I have already deleted enough characters to get below the (at that time) 64 character per server limit.

Oh and the customer service agent also copy pasted this very helpful information from these very forums...

Factoring in the 24 slots for subscribers by default, I imagine the "Server Character Slot" items should be increased from 40 to 76 to cap off at 100 per server?

Also, will there be any discount on the "Server Character Slot" items? As it is now, if you're a subscriber with 100+ toons on a server, you'd need to delete a bunch to get down to 99/100, then assuming you already previously purchased 40 "Server Character Slots," you'd still need to buy another 36 "Server Character Slots" just to be able to transfer a character to the server. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9470141#edit9470141

I'm still trying to figure out how this information was relevant to the bug I reported. Why is this Customer Service agent asking ME about discounts on Character Slot items?

Any who.... Today I decided to try to transfer a character from Satele Shan (52/65 Active Characters) to Star Forge (46/65 Actice Characters) so that I could send my XP armor over.

The transfer did not show up in my recent history (even as a failed transfer)

Cartel coins were deducted from my account, and then immediately refunded.

There have been several reports on these forums about the Global Character bug affecting character creation (hell I made one myself) but as of yet no posts about character transfers not working as well (because of this bug I assume)

I have heard through the grapevine, that a fix for this is being targeted for Game Update 5.6.1.

Sweet that's awesome! I'm glad that it's going to get fixed (maybe) but I would really love to hear from a developer that you guys are actually aware that this is happening.

Yes, the eyes are important, so is Bastilla Shan's chest piece being the wrong color, but can I please get a "We are looking into it post". That's all I want... I just want to know someone is working on this. I would really like to be able to get my armor transferred before transfers jump back up to 1000 Cartel Coins. Because if we have to wait for 5.6.1 for this fix that is exactly what is going to happen.

Tell your friend that since they transferred before we announced the all clear that they are now broken forever :rak_03:.

Kidding. Transfers are back online! Enjoy everyone.

-eric

PS - Reminder that current pricing 90/150 will go until we go into maintenance for 5.6.1 on 12/12.

I guess you weren't kidding Eric... they did break them... hopefully not forever.

TL;DR :

If you are an alt-oholic you can't create new characters, you can't transfer characters, and the Devs seem to be ignoring this issue.

Edited by nabcobra

[providing summary for CS/Devs] (not counting recent slot purchased)

prior to merge nabcobra appeared to have 52 slots per server 12(default) + 40 slots (2 where granted) so 38 purchased.

This should now allow 64 characters per server out of max 100 per server with a global cap of 350 + 40 = 390

On merge he had 364 characters across all servers which became doubled and now showed as 728 for the global character count which exceeded the 390 allowable cap.

So the issue here is even after deleting 266 characters after the merge, it only counted as removing 266 from the doubled global limit hence why global count number went from 728 (being doubled amount on merge) - 266 = 462 characters as the global number now shown yet only having in reality 98 characters now in total across 2 servers , being 46 characters on Star Forge and 52 characters on Satele Shan

Side affects to this

- Cant create characters since merge

- Cant transfer any characters since merge

- Cant login on a server with zero characters (infinite server login until times out and returns to server select).

Edited by OwenBrooks

Disheartened. I just saw something on Satele Shan that I've been waiting for for years. I sent in a character with all my money from Leviathan. Transfer failed. :( :( :(

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Sad day my friend, I was just coming here for my daily bump. I'm still in the same situation, I'm out of low level toons to delete and refuse to delete any of my 70s and I'm still 25 characters over the global cap. (Well not really I only have 54 these days even though the game thinks I still have over 400.)

Eric, I generally white knight all over these forums and I really need you to come through for me buddy.

Keith I know you are an alt-oholic too (I saw you at the last Too Many Characters Anonymous meeting) help a brother out man.

My guild is waiting for me to transfer so we can get back to doing prog and it's a tad bit embarrassing to be the one holding that back.

Hope you devs have a wonderful day!!!

Edited by nabcobra

And NO PATCH TODAY !!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Nope, looks like we will be stuck in limbo until 5.6.1 and by that time transfers will be back up to 1000 Cartel Coins. Fingers crossed for a hot fix, an emergency maintenance ( to address the eyes and chest pieces and UCs from Master Mode bosses, and the conquest rewards and the lack of rewards from solo ranked, and the companion gift vendor, and the extra abilities from hidden set bonuses, and KDY).

Or if we do indeed have to wait hopefully we we get a small extension of the reduced rate for character transfers.

I can confirm that Keith is definitely aware of this issue and it is being investigated as to what has caused this, and how to correct it.

Once something has been locked down in concrete for a fix I am certain we will be advised.

Edited by OwenBrooks

I can confirm that Keith is definitely aware of this issue and it is being investigated as to what has caused this, and how to correct it.

Once something has been locked down in concrete for a fix I am certain we will be advised.

Thanks Owen. That's good to hear !

Barring a solution before Dec 12 = longer inconvenience = longer duration on transfer rebate required.

Edited by BenduKundalini

Observation : given that character count is being duplicated, and that strongholds/decos have been duplicated, maybe there's a common root ? Or anything to do with overflow legacy bank stash?

Edited by BenduKundalini

Observation : given that character count is being duplicated, and that strongholds/decos have been duplicated, maybe there's a common root ? Or anything to do with overflow legacy bank stash?

Honestly don't know. My first thought was that characters were "copied" when mergers happened and that all the duplicate characters still exist on the old servers. Kinda like when you copy a character to the pts

Edited by nabcobra

Does that mean I shouldn’t transfer anymore characters? I’ve already transferred one and I don’t think there were any problems that I picked up on. I was going to transfer some more before the cheap transfers finished.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Does that mean I shouldn’t transfer anymore characters? I’ve already transferred one and I don’t think there were any problems that I picked up on. I was going to transfer some more before the cheap transfers finished.

You are fine, transfer characters as much as you like.

Those that have this issue for being over the global count cant transfer, the transfer will fail.

Its not an issue with the transfer process itself.

Edited by OwenBrooks

You are fine, transfer characters as much as you like.

Those that have this issue for being over the global count cant transfer, the transfer will fail.

Its not an issue with the transfer process itself.

Ah, ok, thanks babe 😊

Edited by TrixxieTriss

So many characters... and if they are high-level, I'm afraid you need to get out more. Regardless, best of luck with your issue. Hopefully, something will be done regarding this new wave of issues.

Lol. Get out more? I work 10 hour days 5 days a week and watch football on Sundays. I play about 3 hours each evening when I get home with my wife and raid on the weekends. I have been an active subscriber for nearly 5 straight years, can level a toon from 1 - 70 in about 8 hours (and that's not including double xp weekends) which takes about 6 hours to level. 53 of my characters are level 70, 1 is level 31 and the rest are level 1 placeholders. While I appreciate the "best of luck" comment, I feel that the "get out more" is highly unnecessary and not really helpful to the thread.

And yes, hopefully something will be done about the wave of issues, not just the ones that affect me. Because all issues are important to someone and they all deserve the same amount of due diligence from the Development Team.

So are character restores if you have the limit of 52, Bioware can't restore any characters if the server already had 52 on it and also the merge killed and messed up deleted characters in a very bad way so be very careful.

Good to know, I didn't delete anything but place holder toons, so I'm not too worried personally about character restores, bit still good info and probably related.

I noticed something odd yesterday : some stronghold duplicates refuse to acknowledge that in the grand scheme of things 100 % rooms have been unlocked. In my case, Jung Ma''s.

Provably unrelated but let's leave no stone unturned...

So are character restores if you have the limit of 52, Bioware can't restore any characters if the server already had 52 on it and also the merge killed and messed up deleted characters in a very bad way so be very careful.

Ha, character libraries must be some kind of Boggle... you need one empty space to swap stuff around !

Nabcobra, I'd sooner reset all my decos than do full class quests all over again (even tho I dig starter planets for some reason, especially Korriban)

Edited by BenduKundalini