Weapon Analysis: Lightsabers

Well folks am back with my Analysis threads, this time delving into the workings of the weapon that has been used by both Jedi and Sith throughout time, the lightsaber! So without further ado lets begin.

=========

"This was the formal weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. More skill than simple sight was required for its use. An elegant weapon. It was a symbol as well. Anyone can use a blaster or a fusioncutter—but to use a lightsaber well was a mark of someone a cut above the ordinary."

―Obi-Wan Kenobi

The origins of the saber began with the Forcesaber designed by the Rakata which this type of saber was powered by the user, using The Force to send the darkside through the crystal within the saber to emit the blade. The first known actual lightsaber was created by an unknown Je;daii Master on Tython and by 15,000 BBY lightsabers were created however these ones were highly unstable and could only be used for a short time.

It wasn't until the Sith came across the lightsaber, that they truly fashioned into what would become the modern saber which is most well known. By 4,800 BBY the modern lightsaber was in full swing, and was used widely by the Jedi Order.

Mechanics

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/9/9a/Lightsaber-cutaway.jpg

The typical saber was usually between 20 and 35 centimeters in length, though hilts did vary based upon the user's specific needs and preferences. A saber consisted of 8 pieces in total those being

1. The Hilt

2. Pommel Cap

3. Diatium Power Cell

4. Inert power insulator

5. Focusing Lens

6. Lightsaber Crystal

7. Emitter Matrix

8. Blade Emitter

If assembled correctly the Diatium power cell in a saber could last indefinitely without any further maintenance from the user.

Cutting Power

The lightsaber could cut through just about anything, however the speed at which it cut depended on the density of the object. There are resistant materials that could withstand the blow of a lightsaber, however each had varying degrees of success these include

Cortosis- However it really only shorts out the saber for a time, the degree of protection armor from sabers varied.

Phrik

Armorweave- though limited

Sith Alchemy augmented materials such as Sith Swords and Darth Vader's Armor.

Mandalorian Iron

Force Weapons

Vong Tech

Water- Unless the saber was made to withstand water.

Some animals and superconductive materials.

Hit Variations

Standard

The standard saber was very simple and easy to wield, it provided the wielder many options for both offense and defense compared to other saber types.

Protosaber

The earliest design of an actual lightsaber, this was attached to a wire which attached to a power pack on the user's belt and required high power output.

Double Bladed Lightsaber

This saber designed was invented by the Dark Lords of the Old Sith Empire, consisting of a single elongated saber with two emitters one on each end. Its primary purpose allowed for faster rate of attack and were good as defensive weapons as the other end of the staff providing more area for deflecting and parrying, it also gave a psychological aspect to it.

However the saber was not without flaws, it required specialized training and attacking/parrying with the saber was limited in the fact one could not adjust their posture unlike those who wielded a single saber as it required the user to hold it horizontally or diagonally while fighting. The technquies were also extremely limited as the 2nd blade, rendered many positions and movements impossible to execute, or requiring the wielder to twist oneself awkwardly. The large hilt, also made for a target by opposing opponents.

Due to these many problems, most opted for just a single saber. However this giving those who wielded a double bladed saber an advantage, given not many would be challenged by someone using a double bladed lightsaber.

Guard Shoto

A variant on the standard lightsaber, the shoto had an elongated hilt with a secondary hilt angling 90 degrees out from the main one. It was especially useful in blocking, and also allowed a wide variety of jabbing, slashing, trapping techniques making it a deadly weapon in the hands of a trained user.

Crossguard Saber

The Crossguard was a rare variant , it was really just a regular lightsaber with a second blade emitter 45 degrees angle to the axis of the hilt.

Curved lightsaber

The curved lightsaber was a standard saber just curved, it allowed for more precise movements and flexibility when engaged in saber combat. It was also more complex and gave the creator of such a hilt more of a challenge in aligning its crystals, as well as requiring a minor variation in holding the grip. The curve also gave more power when delivering overhead strikes and would change the angle of attacks by the merest fraction of a degree, useful for confusing opponents.

Long-Handle lightsaber

Another variant of the standard saber only with a much larger hilt, requiring two hands and special training to wield it right. It was easy to swing around the body, however like the double bladed saber the long handle would make for an easy target by the opposing opponent.

Lightsaber Pike

The pike was extremely long with the handle going up to two meters in length with a somewhat shorter and thicker blade. Pikes were usually made from Phrik to resist lightsabers to prevent from being cut, it also gave the wielder extremely long range.

Lightwhip

A rare variant of a lightsaber, however instead of one large crystal the lightwhip had several smaller ones and had no cell barriers to keep it straight. Being a rare and exotic weapon, gave the user an advantage over those who used traditional lightsabers, it was also difficult to defend against as it would flex around the opponent as they would try to parry. However despite the advantages, the whip did have many weaknesses such as being difficult to control, and the blade being weaker then a regular lightsaber. It also needed to be swung wide open for attacks, and couldn't be really used for defense and sometimes were just known to short out if hit with enough force.

Darksaber

The Darksaber is an interesting piece, it had a slightly longer hilt then the standard saber and the blade was flattened and pointed much like a vibrosword, the blade color was also black, aswell as giving off a distinct hum and when it struck another saber it made a "thawng" or whistling sound.

=====

Thoughts: Many saber types to choose from, but like many I am more partial to the standard single hilt. It has no real weaknesses to be exploited, unlike some others that can be and while it doesn't offer any real advantages it does give more options for both defense and offense.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I had originally planned on doing a fairly long series of threads based around lightsabers, but this should suffice. I have several recordings to go along with them, though.

That aside. I prefer the long-handled lightsaber or lightsaber pike. I've always loved such weaponry. I also think the double-bladed lightsaber is a fairly good weapon, despite the weaknesses.

Good read, once again.

Im a sucker for the single blade myself ;)

I think, if i was to pick, if such weapons would ever exist, i'd have two on me at all times, but use just the one for the most part :p

It surely is the most Elegant... But Dual wield is just epic :p

Personally as most people say a single hilt is my way of going but that's just it just one blade no second saber to get in the way at all if there was any other blade I would have on me it would be a shoto saber, wouldn't use it much but it would be their to give me its advantages if I need it or act as a temporary replacement should something go wrong with my initial one.

I'd like a doublebladed saber that could be detached midhilt to function as twin sabers.

I'd likely use it in single-saber mode most of the time, with the option of having 2 other modes at my disposal. It would be fun trying to master 3 fighting forms :)

Please mention that one could not merely assemble a light saber mechanically and expect it to work. The saber(s) creator HAD to be Force sensitive and during it's construction the builder HAD to imbue or charge the power cell with his / her Force Powers.

Doing so caused the mechanical components in the hilt(s) to bond and function together in such a way that purely constructing it could not achieve. Also this had the effect of bonding the hilt and the user together as well.

As you assemble your light saber you chant these words:

The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force. The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined: the crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one.

These words were recited by Master Luminara Unduli as her apprentice Barriss Offee assembled her light saber in the crystal cave on Illum.

I believe Obi-Wan Kenobi was not JUST being literal when he told Anakin, "This weapon is your life."

Oh, by the way, Dual Wield.

Edited by Darth_Krushya
more info

Quoting from - Star wars, the essential guide to warfare.

The first jedi weapons weren't lightsabers, but swords tempered, hardened and sharpened by the Force. Some of these ancient Force blades had crystals set in the tang of their blades; apprentice jedi would use the Force to arrange the atoms in the crystals and the blade into complimentary lattices, with the energies of the Force lending the blade a ghostly radiance.

Edited by Kane_Ren