Scoundrel or Smuggler pure dps?

MJBronson

Ok, I am trying to decide between Scoundrel and Gunslinger, and everytime I look at an already existing forum it breaks into "Scoundrel can heal, gunslinger can dps". I know Scoundrel can heal, I want to dps. So, healing utility, stealth, and better cover aside, in terms of pure dps... scoundrel, or gunslinger? (please explain your answer and thanks for reading)

if you are familiar with wow, scoundrel in terms of DPS is basically a feral druid (which itself is basically a rogue with utility). and if you stay out of the sawbones tree completely your healing utility is going to be VERY minimal at best.

if you are familiar with wow, scoundrel in terms of DPS is basically a feral druid (which itself is basically a rogue with utility). and if you stay out of the sawbones tree completely your healing utility is going to be VERY minimal at best.

I played scoundrel through an esseles group yesterday and my damage was pathetic, with backshot being the only ability that did anything, does obtaining scoundrel abilities make dps viable later? Considering my guess is GS would be better from the start since charged burst is one of GS's core abilities and you start with it.

Edited by MJBronson

Well I chose the path of the scoundrel, and I like it for group play, and your backshot won't be very good starting off, but by level 15 with a better gun and a few points spent to increasing your crit range its pretty awesome. Not to mention the scoundrel can stealth which is a pretty awesome ability for getting around.

I've been reading around the forums some more, and a very concerning thing has come to my attention. Apparently as a scoundrel and having no portable cover and still having to be very mobile you still have abilities that can only be used in cover, I think going in and out of cover while staying within 4m seems very annoying. Anyone experience this?

You can go into "cover" mode anywhere if you want to use those abilities. Quite frankly I only use them at the beginning of a fight after that I'm running around groin kicking, pistol whipping, grenade throwing and backshotting everything I can get my hands on. Its a lot of fun.

I've been reading around the forums some more, and a very concerning thing has come to my attention. Apparently as a scoundrel and having no portable cover and still having to be very mobile you still have abilities that can only be used in cover, I think going in and out of cover while staying within 4m seems very annoying. Anyone experience this?

I don't do a dps scoundrel, but I believe most of the cover-requirements are on ranged DPS mechanics.. and only some at that. as a scoundrel most of your most powerful stuff will be close range and not be cover. your stealth stuff for now is also only at opening, but once you can go into stealth in combat then that will help also.

but yeah, with a scoundrel, you pretty much are a melee dps and your position is important. like I said, it's basically like a rogue/feral hybrid.

Thanks for the posts guys, I'm probably going to end up going gunslinger, since it was what I wanted in the beginning. That and playing melee is hard when you're a victim of choppy fps. Sadly my computer is good enough but if anyone has seen the people complaining of bad fps in forums regardless of awesome computer I am having that problem as well. But all in all I think I will be happy with gunslinger sharpshooter since I have my combat medic commando to heal. So again, thanks for the posts and no more posts are required :)

I've got a 25 Scoundrel and so far what I've found is this;

• You have heals, your are not a healer. While you've got the juice to keep your tank companion alive through a particularly rough HEROIC2 fight, you ain't going to be doing any major healing in a flashpoint or HEROIC4.

• After level 14-16, you will be taking every ability that requires cover off your action bars. They aren't meant for, nor do they work with the Scoundrel.

• While you are mobile, certainly more so than the gunslinger, what you will be doing quite a lot is sitting behind the mob and running through a rotation while your companion or the groups tank keeps it busy.

• Has a not terrible AOE rotation possible with blaster volley and thermal grenade. Certainly enough to rip through mass trash while questing.

• Has two seperate single target, 60 second CCs. Quite useful in some situations, kinda useless in others. Just like every other kind of CC.

• If your doing a find and click mission while leveling and don't care about the bonus Kill X local mobs, you can stealth to and fro quite quickly and painlessly.

Short version is, my experience has shown the Scoundrel to be a high single target sustained DPS, a middling AOE DPS, can't heal a group (if your not speced for it) but can heal enough to solo some heroics.

Personal preference here, but I also really like the Upperhand mechanic.

Plus, when you hit 22 you get the ability to dump all aggro, drop combat and run like the dickens.

*Edit: Should really refresh a page before posting to it.

Edited by Rampant_Durandal

• 7 months later...
All I have to say about Scoundrel dps is that it is great for pvp because you can do a lot of burst damage real quick then escape with stealth then come back to finish off the target. You basically do a **** ton of damage real quick then run to the hills. For pve you can use it as a dps class as long as you are careful about your energy consumption. It is very easy to burn through all that energy with sucker punches and back blasts. Just make sure to stack a lot of crit and surge up until the soft cap because you want pretty much all your attacks to hit big. Edited by bryceman

That is true but the pure dps tree that should give the most output is to scoundrels pretty much useless because most of the abilities call for the use of 2 blasters. Smugglers' offhand weapon is a shotgun so if you want the best dps for a scoundrel I strongly encourage you go with the scrapper tree.

Scoundrels are AMAZING lvl 40-49, but apart from that then basically GS trumps it, Scoundrel and GS share a DPS tree which is arguably the best one for scoundrel (except 40-49), though it's easier for GS because they dont need the proc thing (Tactical Advantage for Operative, not sure what it's called on scoundrel)

Im a saboteur Gunslinger. I down marauders with ease and marksmen snipers with less ease, but still.

Only Ops and Powertechs scare me as a slanger.

I can do 8 - 10k damage from multiple sources pretty quick. Would be nice to have stealth but as far as gameplay goes...

My gunslinger is 50 in full battlemaster with a few WH pieces, all companions at 10000.

My Operative is at lvl 24 and i hate playing it. Probly gonna delete it and roll a sniper to experience the agent story.

Just sayin.

That is true but the pure dps tree that should give the most output is to scoundrels pretty much useless because most of the abilities call for the use of 2 blasters. Smugglers' offhand weapon is a shotgun so if you want the best dps for a scoundrel I strongly encourage you go with the scrapper tree.

The shared tree only requires two pistols on the GS version. Secondly, the imagined dps boost you get from a second blaster is all in your imagination. Your off-hand blaster and your scattergun are just stat sticks. If I recall, both give about a 30% boost to damage (assuming it's at the same level as your main hand).

Secondly, the imagined dps boost you get from a second blaster is all in your imagination. Your off-hand blaster and your scattergun are just stat sticks. If I recall, both give about a 30% boost to damage (assuming it's at the same level as your main hand).

The gunslinger off-hand and scoundrel off-hand are stat sticks, but not comparable mechanically.

There is no weapon-based attack which actually uses the shotgun, and the damage range shown on scatterguns is cosmetic (although it is correlated with the Tech Power stat of the item, which is not cosmetic). The attacks (all two of them) where the animation shows the shotgun attacking are really tech attacks similar to Blaster Whip, which do not use any weapon's damage value.

Gunslingers are true dual-wield, and their off-hand weapon is actually used in attacks. But off-hand attacks add much less than 30% to their damage, because they do not benefit from bonus damage, have much lower accuracy, and do not have any base damage. It is more like 5-10%.

The gunslinger off-hand and scoundrel off-hand are stat sticks, but not comparable mechanically.

There is no weapon-based attack which actually uses the shotgun, and the damage range shown on scatterguns is cosmetic (although it is correlated with the Tech Power stat of the item, which is not cosmetic). The attacks (all two of them) where the animation shows the shotgun attacking are really tech attacks similar to Blaster Whip, which do not use any weapon's damage value.

Gunslingers are true dual-wield, and their off-hand weapon is actually used in attacks. But off-hand attacks add much less than 30% to their damage, because they do not benefit from bonus damage, have much lower accuracy, and do not have any base damage. It is more like 5-10%.

That I did not know.

However, I think in the end, it still stands that DPS is DPS is DPS.

a very good set up is "Dirty fighting" Scoundrel. I suggest two points in the sawbones tree (it is at the base of the tree) to get Upper hand from underworld medicine. very useful.

it also has ranged capability. gunslinger is also good, but you are literally a turret.

i have a level 48 lethality operative (imperial version) same thing.

I think a dps Scoundrel would make Corso's harpoon much less annoying, and perhaps even tactically-advantageous if you use him to target specific opponents leading into combat. Seriously, this drives me crazy on my Gunslinger.