Eurogamer re-reviews SWTOR

Ekas

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In saturated market "adequate" game-play is a zombie-sentence. This game does have "adequate" mechanics for Operations, but given that that feels about two-steps away from mediocre half the time, I can't say I'm finding the Ops that enjoyable (I get more fun from fudging up the content with my guildies than actually engaging with the game, though that might be due to the fact I'm a healer and we're not allowed to have fun).

Edit:

(I'm reading this through and commenting because I don't have a red pen.)

SWTOR as a single player would have worked, but still with a multiplayer aspect, maybe? Something similar to ME3, but with a more expanded end-game/side-game player interaction.

Edited by Tatile

And with that, any shred of credibility Eurogamer had left, is thrown out of the window. Something you prior rated an 8, which in essence remained the same with several endgame additions and an extended trial for those who do not wish to subscribe, doesn't suddenly become a 4 unless you're completely incompetent as a reviewer. Eurogamer already strongly leaned towards incompetence, and now they've begun making it more obvious apparently.

I thought most of his review was spot on to be honest.

I like this game, I enjoy playing in the Star Wars universe, but it's not a modern, well designed game by any stretch of the imagination. It's a shiny SW skin on a 10 year old game.

I also think he's right about the F2P conversion and restrictions. I'm a subscriber and there's no way in hell I'd play this game as a "preferred" player.

The Old Republic's biggest failing as a free-to-play game, though, is its attitude. It doesn't simply push you to subscribe. It levies so many petty restrictions that it ends up feeling like the goal wasn't to attract newcomers so much as spite any who dared show up.

is pretty much exactly what I thought of this F2P model, along with this

The Old Republic has no time for this, preferring to treat non-subscribers as third-class citizens - even the ones willing to spend money on individual purchases. These unworthies earn no rested XP, with even regular XP being acquired at a lower rate. Quick Travel is now on a two-hour cooldown instead of half an hour. Even opening a shop window (not including the real money one) means getting a snippy "Vendor prices are increased for Free-to-Play Players".

This is not how subscribers are won. This is how 20GB of disk space is recovered.

Maybe Bioware will learn eventually, but with EA calling the shots from over their heads I doubt it. The accountants/marketing people are in charge now, those devs with the vision for the game and the drive to make it better are long gone.

And with that, any shred of credibility Eurogamer had left, is thrown out of the window. Something you prior rated an 8, which in essence remained the same with several endgame additions and an extended trial for those who do not wish to subscribe, doesn't suddenly become a 4 unless you're completely incompetent as a reviewer. Eurogamer already strongly leaned towards incompetence, and now they've begun making it more obvious apparently.

The game was an 8 for about the first month. During the first month it was new and fresh design. It played like a single player game. Then you realize, this is an MMO and not a single player game. The freshness wears off. The illusion evaporates and the game does become a 4.

It doesnt matter that they added operations and a couple flashpoints and a warzone. This game lacks in MMO. Ops and flashpoints and warzones dont necessarily make in an MMO.

Now your single player game is being ruined as well..... story content is quickly becomming... pick up quest at terminal.

The article is spot on in my opinion.

Edited by Soluss

Was that supposed to be a review? It read more like a biased rant from an angry player who likes to troll. :rolleyes:

I read the same. I mean, he's saying that all other MMO's have better storytelling then BioWare attempt with SWTOR (something they praised SWTOR for in their previous review). Please, I quite GW2 after a week because I didn't care at all for my character.

I read the same. I mean, he's saying that all other MMO's have better storytelling then BioWare attempt with SWTOR (something they praised SWTOR for in their previous review). Please, I quite GW2 after a week because I didn't care at all for my character.

I had to laugh about that one too.. He mentiones three MMO's with a "better storyline". With none of them I agree, though Secret World is second on my list of story lines for MMO's, though still very far behind TOR.

And that "reviewer" is supposed to be a player? I doubt it, the whole thing smelled more like a certain one of Eurogamers' usual Activision paid narrators.

The game was an 8 for about the first month. During the first month it was new and fresh design. It played like a single player game. Then you realize, this is an MMO and not a single player game.

Please explain how this game feels singleplayer?

Any review starting off negatively comparing SWTOR to GW2 and WoW automatically loses massive amounts of credibility with me. I mean, they are comparing this to the ENDLESS WoW treadmill with zero story and saying WoW wins? ROFL. Now, that is just a bad joke. Also, how dare people accuse anyone who feels positive about this game of being a mindless fan-boy.

The review is way far off the mark. He sounds like every other spoiled brat gamer who got upset with something in the game and decided to write a bad review and shout at the world. They are complaining about features they have to spend cartel coins on that other MMO's lack in entirety and claiming that makes SWTOR "bad".

Eurogamer, seriously 4/10? So, they are saying that it ranks amongst the worst games ever made? Yet, they are still playing the game? Very interesting. It is good to now have firm information on what website to not listen to when it comes to reviews. They are not listed on GamRankings.com for a reason.

*snip for length*

The article is spot on in my opinion.

Not only that, but it should also be remembered that this review is made with Free2Play as an aspect - largely the Free2Play restrictions are negative points for SWTOR (I hadn't realised that Free players have to pay more credits for their items. That's simply asinine) and that the game is being compared to recent releases, some of which are supported by a similar model (GW2, for instance).

If the original score was eight, then is it not reasonable that Bioware's questionable handling of the Free2Play restrictions and SWTOR's comparison to current MMO's, is going to cost four points? It's re-evaluating the original score based on new information and changes. I'd be more concerned if the score had gone up.

Bioware can only be thankful this review didn't take into account the questionable way the initial round of server transfers were handled (it felt like they were suddenly dropped on, despite statements that we would get prior warning), the way the PTS is used (and abused), the lack of developer communication, the short-lived increased communication from the Community Team and the Free2Play launch, which coincided with everyone going on their holi-pops.

I like the story, I have investment in my characters, I have fun with my guildies and I feel like the game could be better, but it's hard to feel enthused when the team behind the game don't seem to care anymore.

Please explain how this game feels singleplayer?

Iam on RP server as ive missclicked while transfering chars from old and canceled Lord Calypo (thats my fault indeed) and trust me ... you dont need anyone to finish the game. Yea i said finish, since on level 50 you are done, finito, ende, fin, game over, unless you are hadcore carebear and find a pleasure in everydays grinding - so honestly called Blackhole or Section X, the Operations are indeed fine ... once or twice, not all the time and as for PVP ... well, here ill stop since expresssing my thoughts about PVP system needs a lot of mean words.

Was that supposed to be a review? It read more like a biased rant from an angry player who likes to troll. :rolleyes:

it is actually a review from a player who was here on launch and came back after a year to see no difference at all :)

First off hes not an irked player or a troll he's actually a professional games journalist....

http://www.richardcobbett.com/

Although its a fairly damning review there is certainly truth in what he says and I have to agree on many of his points.

If Bioware and EA what to make this Free to Play model sucessful then they need to rethink some of the restrictions, instead of allowing people play the game, enjoy the game and pay for what they want. It feels like walking down a High Street full of Charity Reps stopping you every two feet and asking you to buy a subscription to help Polar Bears in Africa otherwise they won't let you back to the office for lunch.

Rather than focus on encouraging players to buy things in the store, they are focusing on encouraging players to buy subscriptions, which is part of the reason they are in the difficulties they are in now. SWTOR won't die as Richard puts it but its development and eventually potential could be limited even further by the way this whole thing pans out.

Although I appreciate subscribers vocal support of thier game I think the sheer swell of ill feeling towards the F2P model should not be idly dismissed as they seem to be. I firmly believe how Bioware reacts to these feelings could have a dramatic effect on the game in comming years.

Edited by Cold-Fusion

Iam on RP server as ive missclicked while transfering chars from old and canceled Lord Calypo (thats my fault indeed) and trust me ... you dont need anyone to finish the game. Yea i said finish, since on level 50 you are done, finito, ende, fin, game over, unless you are hadcore carebear and find a pleasure in everydays grinding - so honestly called Blackhole or Section X, the Operations are indeed fine ... once or twice, not all the time and as for PVP ... well, here ill stop since expresssing my thoughts about PVP system needs a lot of mean words.

You can do that with any modern MMO. With WoW and Gw2 also.

Edited by Varium

I actually felt the review made some good and valid points. For example, though the fact that WoW's MOP and GW2 handled story better is very debatable, I do understand where he comes from. Even if I personally do not agree. Also F2P annoyances are a very valid point that he raises well enough.

But when his conclusion was posted:

As a top-tier MMO though, The Old Republic is done. Many games are said to have their day. The Old Republic's initial blaze of glory took that rather more literally than most, and this year's big releases have left it in the dust. Consider it on life support - and not the cool Darth Vader kind. The NHS kind. Surrounded by nurses who won't shut up about BUPA.

And I had to wonder if Eurogamer did not just attempt to jump on the TOR hating train and was looking for something cool to add to that. The fact of the matter is still very simple: TOR is still the 2nd biggest subscription MMO and a number of reports say the game is actually being actively played by more players than GW2 since about a month after that was launched (again, facts that cannot be checked). And especially TSW, which is admittedly a good game, does not come close to it's actual numbers of active and concurrent players.

Furthermore, the rise in activity on all servers since F2P has held on so far. It is not as huge a peek as it was in the initial weekend, but it is clearly there. Torstatus.net prooves this.

Furthermore, he mentions F2P annoyances as his main minus point but, in no way, chooses to compare it to other F2P MMO's and their systems. Except focusing on things like having no renames yet.

These are all things not mentioned in the review at all, and therefore I am a bit wondering on the credibility of this review.

Any objective review would not say the game is "done" untill it actually is. And right now, it is not. Because than every MMO except WoW would be done as a Top-tier MMO.

Edited by Devlonir