Gold Spam. Lets talk.

Strenif

Ok, first off, I just want to say that I accept the inevitability of gold spam. That said, I'd like to make it less intrusive.

Some ideas.

24 hour cool down on deleting a character.

A two second cool down on /tells

Cut down max results on /who commands with a 2 second cool down

Limit amount mail that can be sent via a cool down and/or send to list.

Commit developer time to create tools to better allow GMs to monitor and ban offenders.

Send Havoc Squad on mission to find and destroy facilities hosing gold farmers.

Make sure their going dark though. Don't want any of that "Oh he's just trying to feed his family" crap. Garza tells you to take them out you take them out! Pull out your sidearm, put the barrel flush against their skull, and pull the trigger. If command wanted you opinion on ethics they'd promote you to general.

Edited by Strenif

Hate to say it, but your suggestions sound like things implemented in FTP games, and they are some of the biggest annoyances for a new player. The spamming for credit sales will be far less likely until a "free demo" is implemented; although it is always an reality no matter the phase of the game. I'm sure that this is not something new to BioWare, and one would hope that they didn't overlook something so common as "credit spammers in the future." I give them a little more credit than that. (see what I did there?)

Another way is:

1) Include an item "gold spam" on the right-click menu for toon names on the chat panel

2) Any time a character gets enough of those in a short time period, the character loses chat for some amount of time (all numbers TBD by BW) and is immediately referred to GM team.

3) GM team bans account after review if they find intent to sell credits.

Maybe a little long, but Ok. I get it.

No. Just no.

Again, Just no.

Just an inconvenience for the legitimate subs. This is bad.

Commit developer time to create tools to better allow GMs to monitor and ban offenders.

Whatever they do, it should not in any way shape or form inconvenience people that aren't spamming/selling gold.

My idea is to make use of a /spammer feature. Basically, if you receive X number of individual /spammer indicators over the course of Y minutes, you are automatically silenced from open broadcast channels until a GM manually unsliences you, or bans your character, etc.

Basically if a gold seller (IAmAGoldSeller) spams a message, people who hear it can /spammer IAmAGoldSeller. If enough people do that over the course of 10 minutes, they are automatically silenced. Obviously if you have a lot of people do it on the first shout, that gold seller might only get one message out before getting silenced.

There could be some issues with griefing, which is why you still have manual intervention before anything terrible happens. It might be fun to not tell the person that they have been silenced, letting them continue to supposedly shout out their message to the world. A feature of the /spammer is to also log the last public messages by that individual so that GMs can easily see what messages are being flagged, save them from digging through full chat logs.

I'm sure there are other good ideas or holes in what I've suggested. It's off the cuff, but allows the playerbase to help moderate their own game. The automated aspect of it is really the key.

-R

My idea is to make use of a /spammer feature. Basically, if you receive X number of individual /spammer indicators over the course of Y minutes, you are automatically silenced from open broadcast channels until a GM manually unsliences you, or bans your character, etc.

Basically if a gold seller (IAmAGoldSeller) spams a message, people who hear it can /spammer IAmAGoldSeller. If enough people do that over the course of 10 minutes, they are automatically silenced. Obviously if you have a lot of people do it on the first shout, that gold seller might only get one message out before getting silenced.

There could be some issues with griefing, which is why you still have manual intervention before anything terrible happens. It might be fun to not tell the person that they have been silenced, letting them continue to supposedly shout out their message to the world. A feature of the /spammer is to also log the last public messages by that individual so that GMs can easily see what messages are being flagged, save them from digging through full chat logs.

I'm sure there are other good ideas or holes in what I've suggested. It's off the cuff, but allows the playerbase to help moderate their own game. The automated aspect of it is really the key.

-R

The problem with self moderating is griefing. If one player or a group of players has the ability to silence or in some other way prevent a player from accessing basic game features, they can and will abuse it. :p

This being said, there is a system in place now where you can right click the spammers name in chat and report it as spam, which I believe functions the same way it did in WoW where the player is reported and automatically ignored (without using a slot on your ignore list).

Ok, first off, I just want to say that I accept the inevitability of gold spam. That said, I'd like to make it less intrusive.

Some ideas.

Send Havoc Squad on mission to find and destroy facilities hosing gold farmers.

Make sure their going dark though. Don't want any of that "Oh he's just trying to feed his family" crap. Garza tells you to take them out you take them out! Pull out your sidearm, put the barrel flush against their skull, and pull the trigger. If command wanted you opinion on ethics they'd promote you to general.

As Fende Mentioned in his reply no ... just no. Maybe for free trials, since that is where alot of the spammers come from, that and hacked accounts. But to implement this for paying customers ... you would be asking for things to go down hill my man. Thats just poor mechanics, especially the part abiout 2 second wait time between tells. That's hours in 60+ WPM typing!

Of course the best way to stop gold sellers is to NOT purchase gold for real currency.

If less players demanded instant gratification and purchase their gold then it would not be so financially viable for the goldsellers to operate.

These gold sellers are really the scum of the universe as most of them are affiliated with hackers who target accounts to strip them of gold and then manage to sell it back to the same players who visited their keylogger infested websites in the first place. While obviously this is not yet an issue in TOR it will become one as soon as more people realise how much coin they need at endgame (think Speeder Piloting costs at 40 and 50...).

Of course the best way to stop gold sellers is to NOT purchase gold for real currency.

If less players demanded instant gratification and purchase their gold then it would not be so financially viable for the goldsellers to operate.

These gold sellers are really the scum of the universe as most of them are affiliated with hackers who target accounts to strip them of gold and then manage to sell it back to the same players who visited their keylogger infested websites in the first place. While obviously this is not yet an issue in TOR it will become one as soon as more people realise how much coin they need at endgame (think Speeder Piloting costs at 40 and 50...).

Quoted for great justice.

The number one problem lies with the players - stop buying currency. Play the game, make money legitimately within the confines of the game, and have a security key just in case. It's not hard to participate in the economy.

Right-click a player's name in game, select "Report Spam", that player is now ignored for your play session and reported to the GMs.

No, it does not ignore the spammer. It's actually a two-step procedure. Report spammer and then you have to manually ignore the spammer.

I don't think you even have to do the second step, if you do the first the spammer is also ignored. [EDIT] Or maybe I've just gotten lucky.

Good point.

2.5 seconds then. :D

With the amount of time spent on the OP you probably could have ignored 200 gold spammers. Time value is funny that way.

Edited by Thradar