Which Companion is Best for Healers?

Lynnx

• 2 weeks later...

I use my DPS companion, pretty much whichever I like better. On my Sage I often use Zenith since Nadia's AOE has a knockback that tends to annoy me. Also Nadia tends to annoy me overall. There was a time though when I was a new 50, starting to gear up, and Nadia started outgearing Zenith hardcore, so I used her.

The only drawback to using a DPS comp I find is when fighting elites. I always end up tanking the mob, which isn't really a problem but annoying. The tank will keep a mob off me, but even in decent gear Iresso always ends up needing heals anyway, and not significantly less than I would as heal tank.

IMO until they beef up the tank companions so that they take significantly less damage than they currently do, they're not worth using unless you have a crush on them. Not saying that's not legitimate, though, lol.

With my scoundrel, I just don't think damage companions actually put out enough damage to justify using them in PvE. I use Riggs almost exclusively, since I can jump in and help. After using orbital strike, thermal grenades, cybertech grenades, and dotting everyone up they still stick to him, and he only needs a couple rolling heals to keep alive. Akaavi's health drops like a brick when she has more than one elite on her, and probably doesn't do half the damage I put out. I'm sure Bowdaar is just as good as Riggs, I just haven't been able to find him decent gear yet.

Anyway, I've been able to do 2 and 4 man heroics and a handful of HM bosses solo, with the exception of Colonel Daksh, who I use Risha for since I actually want to hold aggro in that fight. Maybe a damage companion would work if you really had them geared out, but I think the playstyle would be vastly different, just focusing on conserving energy for healing and rarely throwing out your own attacks.

• 3 weeks later...
not sure if you are far into their stories but for sage use

nadia

for scoundrel use

akaavi

tank comps are kinda meh (cept for my kaliyo) and dps comps give you the best xp per.

So just pick the females? Sounds legit I do the same

My wife plays an Imperial Agent: Operative. She primarly uses Vector while soloing. Now that he is pretty well geared up he is quite a beast. I play a Powertech tank and we duo some pretty tough content with two geared up DPS companions, me tanking, and her healing. Torian and Vector in just MK-2 gear are pretty pimp.

Melee DPS companions seem to be the prefered choice for most healers I have seen.

I use vector on my IA when dealing with mainly strongs, and normals, and will pull out kaylio when i am going up against a name elite, or champion.

The last time i parsed vector, he was wearing rakata, and had a tioneese weapon and was doing about 750 sustained dps. I am sure a fully geared companion could break a 1K. When it comes to kaylio she sucks at holding agro, but she does take the hits a lil bit better then myself, and with a champ/ name elite it is better to spread out the damage then to have it all directed towards me.

Melee DPS companions are generally much stronger and useful than their ranged colleagues

All things being equal, I would agree. But since the scoundrel's mDPS companion uses aim, and rDPS uses cunning, the advantage goes to the range, because it is easier to pass hand-me-down gear to your companion than it is to work for a complete separate set.

For this reason Risha, on my scoundrel is in full, augmented Rakata, while my other companions are stuck in mostly columni.

I could have spent black hole comms to gear up a different companion, but that would have slowed my gear progress down substantially.

• 2 weeks later...
Just use the companion you like to hang around with the most.

I heal with my commando and I've been exclusively using Elara since I recruited her, in dps stance, that's all. If you keep them decentely geared up, it won't matter.

Technically, only healers can use any companion they enjoy most and still get the most optimal experience, sadly, tanks and dps specced characters, its use healer companion or have alot of downtime after all the fights, now if you are a male trooper or a male bounty hunter, the healer companions are quite nice (i tend to romance them), though one needs to mellow out abit, we all know who i mean. :)

Edited by JamieKirby

my first toon was a sorc full corruption

i started with khem

as i got other companions i researched a bit

tried andronikus once... never again- hated healing ranged dps

never let khem out of my site again- made it a point to gear him as well as me and we cruised nice and easy to 50 in style

got to 50 and met xalek and used him exclusively as i began to "gear up" as it was much easier to give xalex the "hand-me-downs" as we use the same stats

bottom line- use what works for you but realize the companions will only do as well as their gear; however, there is something to be said for the healer and tank companion combo- and it does teach the fundamentals of healing tanks

Edited by Daxy