{fSmuggler} Running in the Family

elliotcat

After finishing the class story, LS Mirialan smuggler Ayang Cardani really wants a chance to rest. She does not get it. TONS AND TONS OF SPOILERS for the smuggler storyline. JK shows up but this is pre-class story for her.

I've had this tab up for literally days; at last I have the courage to press "submit new thread". I hope you like the story as much as I have been enjoying writing it! I just have chapter 1 finished for now, I will continue to update until I finish it.

~DISCLAIMER~

Kanaya's name is a reference to Homestuck, which I don't own. I just like making meta-references all the time, 'cause I'm a nerd like that. If my SI and/or IA show up, their names are references too. PS - if you like Homestuck too, send me a message and I will show you my Homestuck art!

Running in the Family

by Elliot

Prologue

“Come here, Kanaya.”

No matter how hard Kanaya tried to make her steps soft, her master could always hear her. Even now, when Meyali was sitting alone in the dark, she knew every move her student made. Kanaya still found it unnerving.

Since she’d been discovered, Kanaya had no choice but to join her teacher. She carefully smoothed her robes as she sat down beside her, stealing a glance at Meyali. Every tiny movement she made was elegant and infinitely graceful. Even now, Kanaya was in awe of her.

When Meyali Cardani had first taken Kanaya as her pupil, Kanaya couldn’t believe her good fortune. Everyone knew that Meyali was a master duelist with an exceptionally strong Force connection. She was devastatingly beautiful, seductive in a way that affected everyone. She was the kind of master a padawan only dreamed about. But a few months into their relationship, Kanaya realized that Meyali had another side, a side that was moody and morose, a side that could be cruel. Never to friends, never to Kanaya. Only to herself, and to her family. The only thing Kanaya had really learned from her was how easy it could be to rationalize disobeying the rules of the Order.

“This Order will take things from you, Kanaya,” Meyali said, still staring out the window. Kanaya realized that she was drunk. She shouldn’t be part of the Order, Kanaya found herself thinking. But Meyali would never be thrown out, not someone as skilled in combat as she was. They needed her.

“The Order took from me the only thing I ever wanted,” Meyali continued. Her voice was flat, lifeless.

“Your daughter?” Kanaya asked hesitantly.

Meyali sniffed derisively. “My daughter. Ayang.” She said the name like it tasted bitter in her mouth. “They can't take from me what I never really wanted.”

A horrified chill crept over Kanaya’s body. She knew that Meyali cared very little about her daughter, now a grown woman, who was born without a shred of Force sensitivity. Ayang was just Meyali's failed attempt at having a child who could carry on her legacy. But to really feel like she was worthless, to have no connection to her whatsoever…it was unthinkable.

“No,” Meyali said with a deep sigh. It was almost melodramatic, but there was real pain in her voice. “No, they took from me something else. Hidden away forever, and I can never ask where. My daughter, my parents…none of them know. None of them know what I lost.”

Kanaya was frozen in her chair, afraid to ask but dying to know. “What was it?”

Meyali’s voice remained even, but there was a hard edge to it. Her eyes seemed to flash angrily in the dark.

“My son.”

I have never been the type of girl who dreams about her wedding, having children, buying and taking care of a beautiful house. But I had decided one thing when I was nineteen: that if I ever did get married (an event I considered extremely unlikely), it would be in the main temple on Mirial. I would have a traditional Mirialan ceremony and include every complicated ritual. Never once did it occur to me that I might get engaged to someone who was not Mirialan and, even worse, was terrible at speaking our language.

“When I was in school, my teacher used to carry around a stick to smack me on the hand when I made a mistake.” I slapped the table for emphasis. “Maybe I should start doing that to you.”

“That’s horrible.”

I shrugged. “It worked. I didn’t make a lot of mistakes.” I laid my head down on the table in defeat. “Honestly, Corso, sometimes it feels like you’re not even trying.”

“Mirialans like to make everything complicated,” Guss piped up. He liked to stand around whenever we were practicing; apparently he found the entire situation hilarious. “Are you sure you want to marry one?”

I threw a scrap of plastic at him. “Since when are you an expert on Mirialans?” He did have a point. Mirialans didn’t believe in doing anything that wasn’t sufficiently challenging – and the bigger the challenge, the better. What was the point in doing something you couldn’t brag about later?

“Promise me you’ll practice this today,” I said. “I know it’s hard, and maybe you think it’s stupid, but it kind of means a lot to me.”

“Who are you taking with you, then? Risha?”

“I want to go!” Guss always wanted to go to Nar Shaddaa. He liked the dancers.

“You just want to look at girls. I won’t get anything done.” I stood up and stretched my arms. “You can go look at girls by yourself if you want. Or you can stay here and drill Corso.” I pretended to whisper. “Be really mean if you do.”

“Thank you, Ayang,” Corso said dryly.

“I love you both!” I sang as I waltzed out the door. I was eager to find Risha and leave, before anyone suspected that we were up to something.

When I was eighteen, I was kidnapped on Coruscant and sold into slavery on Nar Shaddaa. I spent seven months dancing at Hutt parties, drugged out of my mind. I hated it here now. It held nothing but bad memories. But for Risha, who didn’t have any memories like that, it was still a big neon playground. She had a spring in her step as we walked, and she was chattering to me more than usual.

“We should call my friends while we’re here,” she said. “They’d like you.”

“Maybe later,” I said, jamming my hands into my jacket pockets. “I just want to go see your doctor friend and get this over with.”

“Really? You’re not even a little bit excited?”

I shrugged.

“Ayang, come on; you’re being dramatic. It’s a pregnancy test, you’re not marching to an Imperial death camp.”

I winced a little just to hear her say it. I had been suspicious since I’d gotten to Corellia that I might be pregnant, but I was good at denial, and I had plenty of other things to worry about. I only told Risha, and she promised that after everything was over she’d take me somewhere to find out for sure. I was starting to regret having told her; I was so nervous that I wished I could put it off longer.

“I just want to know,” was all I managed to say.

Risha led me to a tall building with a faded façade. I followed her inside, slouching like I usually did when I was nervous and in an unfamiliar place. The building’s lobby was empty and dim, and I wondered where she was taking me. We took an elevator to the sixteenth floor, where a young woman with a bubbly smile met us. Her hair bounced violently when she talked; it was unnerving – especially in a place like this.

“What’s your name?” she asked me. Her voice was shrill.

“Ayang Cardani.”

“Please follow me!” The girl led us down a hallway and into a small exam room. It was as dim in here as it was everywhere else in this building, and though I’d been in seedier places, I’d never had blood drawn in them.

“Is this a legitimate clinic?” I asked Risha when the girl had left.

“Oh, yeah,” she said, waving a hand dismissively. “Take your jacket off, they’re going to take your blood.”

I folded it up and sat down on the flimsy cot. Risha was playing absently with a datapad like her best friend’s life wasn’t about to be irrevocably altered. “How do you know about this place, anyway?”

“Took friends here a lot,” she said. “It’s out of the way, discreet…but they have good equipment. And they don’t charge a lot.”

“Oh,” I said. I tried not to pry too much into her past, even though I was a little hurt. I’d shared a lot more than she had.

I was expecting the doctor to be someone sketchy, but he actually looked normal. Certainly more professional-looking than my ex-boyfriend the doctor, who I eventually found out had about six other girlfriends.

“Hi,” I managed to croak.

He had very little to say, but he gave me a nod to at least acknowledge I was there. He grabbed a syringe, told me, “This might sting a little,” and plunged it into my arm. I opened my mouth in a silent yell.

“It’ll just take a minute to process,” he said, rummaging around in a cabinet. I held my hand over my arm; he had not been anything close to gentle. I probably could have done a better job myself.

Risha was staring at him eagerly, intent on finding out the result before I did. I stared at the ceiling and tried to focus on anything else. More blood had been drawn than I realized; I felt light-headed and hazy. I tried to focus on staying conscious by remembering an old prayer I’d learned when I was a kid. I was starting to fade when I heard Risha clap her hands and say, “Ayang! You were right, you’re having a baby!”

I fainted.

“I can’t believe this is happening to me.”

Risha and I left the clinic shortly after I came to, and she insisted we walk around the Promenade for awhile before we went to rendezvous with a group of my ships – the reason we’d come here in the first place. We leaned against a railing looking out over the city, me with my head resting on my arms, defeated.

“It’s not that bad,” Risha said. She’d bought some sort of disgusting food from a street vendor and was delicately picking at it with her fingers.

“How is it not that bad? I’m twenty-two and I live on a ship. I just inherited a fleet of ships run by people who probably already think I only survived on a fluke. Hell, I’m pretty sure I only survived on a fluke.”

“You didn’t. Trust me, I know.” She paused for a moment. “That’s not really why you’re upset though, is it?”

I sighed and looked out over the city, at all the flashing lights and pinkish haze. If I closed my eyes, I could still feel cool metal around my neck and hear my costume jangling on my hips. I could remember all the times I’d just stood there, passively letting people paw at me and stare at me. I could remember it, no matter how hard I tried to forget. Even worse, I could remember doing it when the collar was gone, when I’d had a choic

e.

Girls like me didn’t just turn around and become wonderful parents.

“You know, being a bad mother isn’t genetic,” Risha said softly.

“It doesn’t have to do with my mom,” I said. But I was lying. It always had to do with my mother. She’d had the power to protect me, and she hadn’t, simply because she didn’t want to.

For awhile we were both silent. A breeze passed over us every now and then, blowing my bangs back and forth in front of my eyes. I realized how tired I felt. Six months of fighting for your life would do that to you. I let my eyes close, though I could still see lights flashing. For the first time since my twenty-second birthday, I let myself stop thinking. Didn’t I deserve a rest?

I was startled by my com ringing. Clearly, I wasn’t getting a rest anytime soon.

“Hey,” I answered rather listlessly.

“Hi again, Ayang! Am I supposed to call you something else now?” It was Mayet, the woman I’d put in charge of operations on Nar Shaddaa. I had known her for a few years and I liked her; she was a Mirialan like me and had a good head for business.

“Nah, we’re still friends,” I said. “Sorry I’m late, I got distracted.”

Mayet waved her hand. “It’s all right. Actually, I was calling to let you know there’s been sort of a complication.”

“Last word I want to hear right now, Mayet.” For a variety of reasons.

She held up her hands in protest. “It’s not that big of a deal. I just wanted to warn you that there’s an issue you’re going to have to deal with when you get here. I don’t want to give you the details over an insecure channel, so can you get down here soon?”

I felt my heart sink just a little. Right now, this was the last thing I wanted to deal with. I sighed and tucked my hair behind my ear. “I’m on my way.”

Mayet was waiting for me in a warehouse in an extra-seedy part of the Red Light Sector. “Nice to see you again,” she said with a smile. “It’s been awhile.”

“What is this place?” I asked. Risha stepped on my foot; I had asked her to do that when I said something that sounded stupid. She had a much better idea of what a crime boss should say.

“You own this place now,” she hissed at me.

“Oh.” I looked back at Mayet. “What happened?”

Mayet clasped her hands; she looked nervous. “One of the ships that got in today had an unauthorized passenger.”

“A stowaway?” I asked. “That doesn’t seem too bad. Just cut him loose.”

“There’s more,” Mayet said grimly. “First off, it’s a woman. And she tried to hijack it.”

“Does anybody know her?” I asked.

Mayet shook her head. “No idea. But her outfit looks like it’s the uniform from that big gang on Coruscant. The one with the star symbol.”

“Black Sun,” Risha murmured. I nodded in agreement.

“Anyway, the ship’s crew normally would have just shot her, but she was going crazy. Swore she needed to talk to you, that she was just trying to contact you. She said that she had information you’d want, that you’d probably pay them if they handed her over to you.”

“Nice,” I said. “I like that she’s already willing to spend my money.” This girl was not off to a great start.

“She’s locked up in one of the offices,” Mayet said, nodding toward a small door. “You’ll have to decide what you want to do with her.”

“Can’t hurt to talk to her,” I said. Risha shrugged at me, apparently agreeing that it was worth a try. She probably was hoping she’d get to shoot this mystery girl. I couldn’t really blame her; I might let her if it got us out of here sooner.

Mayet unlocked the door and we stepped inside. It was dark, but I could barely make out the shadow of a small woman sitting in the corner. I felt around for a light switch.

“Don’t turn on the light,” the woman said. Her voice was quiet and pretty, with a deliberate Coruscani accent, like she was trying to cover up something else. “I’ve got a headache.”

“Sorry,” I said. Risha found the light before I did, and I heard the girl let out a horrified gasp.

“Oh, no,” she groaned. “It’s you!” She covered her face with her hands and tried to turn away. “I didn’t know it was you; you never told me your name!”

I had no idea what she was talking about. “I thought you wanted to talk to me.”

She didn’t answer. I took hold of her wrists; she was taller than I was, but she was weak. She twisted her face away from me as I pulled her hands away, grimacing like she was in pain. And the second I saw her face, and recognized who she was, I knew exactly why.

“You know her?” Risha asked me.

“Unfortunately,” I said. I watched the woman slump over against the wall, refusing to meet my eyes. Considering that the last time we’d met she’d been insufferably full of herself, it was a little nice to see her looking ashamed. I wouldn’t have thought her capable of it.

I smiled at her, and she seemed to wither. “Nice to see you again, Rona.”

• 3 weeks later...
Tell me this is continuing!

I never did work out how to deal with Risha. My smug was the worst girlfriend :rolleyes:

Oh man I didn't even see this got bumped!

Since my early morning portion of summer ended today (no more having to get up at 5 AM) I am definitely going to continue it! Work has just been sapping my energy, like...a lot. :(

• 1 month later...
Wow! Just Incredible! Almost like it was pulled right out of a book! (Which it is obviously not considering the originality) You are truly an astounding writer! If you had the time would you mind visiting my own work in progress? It's called The Legacy of a Slave, and it would be much appreciated if you told me what you think on Review: The Legacy of a Slave. I want to make a little more personal, like yours, but I haven't figured it out yet. Thanks again and I love your work! Can't wait for the next installment of your story! :)

Wow! Just Incredible! Almost like it was pulled right out of a book! (Which it is obviously not considering the originality) You are truly an astounding writer! If you had the time would you mind visiting my own work in progress? It's called The Legacy of a Slave, and it would be much appreciated if you told me what you think on Review: The Legacy of a Slave. I want to make a little more personal, like yours, but I haven't figured it out yet. Thanks again and I love your work! Can't wait for the next installment of your story! :)

Daaw thanks. I will definitely try and look over your stuff over the weekend! I am back in school and I have a pretty intense classload so time is a bit scarce - but I'll make some time! :) I am going to update this in like 15 minutes...I didn't forget about it...

Oh my God, it's chapter 2! School started and that sucked. But I am going to do my very best to continue writing this. Hooray!

This time I will use a spoiler tag for ease of scrolling.

I wasn’t the kind of person who got off on power. I didn’t enjoy having to make difficult decisions that affected real people. But I had to admit that I really enjoyed the feeling of having power over someone who had used me. There was something beautiful about being the agent of karma.

“So tell me, were you planning on using my ship to run drugs? Because I had gotten the impression you used people for that.”

Rona still refused to look at me. I got the feeling she was just as stubborn as I was. “You hate me, fine. Whatever,” she said.

“I don’t hate you. I just really, really don’t like you,” I said. “There’s a difference.”

“Look, I know I screwed up –“

“Seriously? ‘Screwing up’ means, oh, I don’t know…cheating on a test or something. What you did was sociopathic.”

“Get over it!” she yelled. “Stop acting like you’re better than me! You’re a criminal too!”

“I’m nothing like you,” I said. “Because even if I’ve done some messed up things, I’d never do what you did. I’d never use my own family. And I don’t even like them.”

“Fine.” She crossed her arms. “But I have a good reason for looking for you. I can help you.”

“Not interested,” I said, turning to leave. “I seem to remember that you suck at helping people.”

She slammed her hands on the floor, desperate, and cried, “The Black Sun is trying to kill your brother!”

For a long moment the cell was dead silent. “I don’t have a brother,” I said.

“Liar!” she sputtered. “You do! He worked for us until some Jedi girl came and took him away. He didn’t have permission to leave and now they want him dead. I’m the only one who can help you find him.”

I stood perfectly still, as though frozen in place. I shouldn’t believe her. She was a liar who had proven herself to be untrustworthy and willing to use anyone to achieve her goals. But something about what she was saying rang true and I didn’t know why. Before I could process what I was feeling, Risha grabbed my arm and pulled me out of the room, locking it behind her. She dragged me aside and whispered, “Okay, are you seriously believing this? Let’s just shoot her and go.”

“I don’t know,” I said lamely, still trying to work out what I should do. “It’s complicated.”

“I get that you know her from somewhere, but that doesn’t sound like a good thing.”

“She’s Corso’s cousin. She runs drugs.” I didn’t feel like getting overly detailed.

“Well, it’s not like we have to tell him we shot her.”

“Can we please stop with the ‘shooting her’ thing?” I hissed. “You are way too trigger happy sometimes.”

I liked Risha. She was tough and she was smart. But one thing I’d learned about her was that her intuition sucked. She wasn’t good at reading people, and she tended to be overly suspicious. On the other hand, I was pretty good at it. I couldn’t read minds, but I was damn good at telling when someone was lying.

Do you have a brother?” Risha asked me.

“I don’t know,” I said. “I guess it’s possible.” It had never occurred to me. Why would I have a brother that no one told me about? But my mother had waited until I was 22 to tell me about my father. If she’d had another child, why would she bother telling me? Her stupid Order certainly wouldn’t go out of their way to tell me, either.

“If she’s telling the truth,” I said carefully, “then we’re talking about my only living blood relative. My mom doesn’t count.”

“Okay, but you’re forgetting that your kid counts as a blood relative, too. I’m not going to tell you how to be a good parent –“

“Good.”

“—but you should probably think about that.” She gave me a look that said, You know I’m right. And I did.

I considered for a moment. “If we take her with us, and have her on lockdown 24/7…”

“Take her with us? That ship is cramped enough as it is.”

I ignored her. “...At least we could get some information. All I can do for now is try and get some answers. And she’s the only one who can give me an idea of where to start. If I have a family member who doesn’t suck, then I’m willing to take a risk with her. Besides, she already got caught once. I don’t think she’s the sharpest girl in the galaxy.”

Risha seemed to sense that my mind was made up. “All right. Let’s bring her back, then. But if something goes wrong, don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

I gave her a look of mock disappointment. “Sorry you didn’t get to shoot anybody today.”

She shrugged. “There’s still plenty of time.”

Rona dragged her feet the entire way back to the spaceport. Risha and had to practically carry her. I couldn’t tell if she was sick or just being obstinate.

“I thought you were trying to be helpful,” I said. “Right now you’re just being difficult.”

“I don’t feel well,” she said stubbornly. “I’m gonna pass out.”

Looking at her, she really didn’t look so great. Her face was beaded with sweat, and her hands felt clammy and cold. When Risha and I dragged her into the hangar elevator, she slumped against the wall like a sack of sand.

“I think she really is sick,” Risha whispered.

“She has withdrawal,” I said back. “She’s an addict.” I knew what withdrawal looked like. I’d seen it hundreds of times when I was enslaved. Spice kept slave girls in line and pacified. When I escaped, I went through the same symptoms.

Together, we hauled her onto the ship. It seemed like every minute she was less able to support herself. At least I didn’t have to worry about her running away for a while.

“Hey, Corso!” I yelled as Risha and I pulled our prisoner toward the medbay. “Look who followed me home! It’s your insane cousin!”

Rona tried to say something in protest, but all that came out was, “Hnngh.”

“Really? Why?” Corso asked as he hovered behind us.

“Long story,” I said.

“What’s wrong with her?”

“She’s sick.” I didn’t know why, but I figured I’d spare her the embarrassment of telling her last remaining family member that she was a drug addict. “Go get Akaavi. She’s going to have to keep an eye on her.”

I deposited Rona onto a bed in the medical room; she flopped over like a doll. I tried to arrange her in a way that would be more comfortable, but her limbs were limp and heavy. Not exactly the easiest patient.

“Are you a doctor?” she asked me. Her voice was small and barely audible.

“No. I went to nursing school.” I started taking supplies out of the cabinets – painkillers, sleeping medicine – whatever might make this easier for her. As much as I disliked her, I remembered how bad withdrawal felt.

“If you’re a nurse, then why are you doing this? Why don’t you live on some nice core planet and work in a medcenter?”

“It’s a long story.” I handed her a pill and a cup of water. “Here. For your headache.”

She gave me a wary look, but took the medicine. “Don’t you have any spice?” she asked me, her voice a hoarse whisper. “Please. I want to forget.”

I didn’t ask what she wanted to forget. “No. You need to get off of that stuff.” I busied myself with my medical supplies, not wanting to engage her in conversation any further. Even if I felt bad for her, part of me still wanted her to suffer. Part of me wanted revenge for what she had done to me, and to the person I loved most in the world. But she let out a small, strangled whimper, and I gave in.

“Here,” I said, handing her a smaller white tablet. “It’ll make you go to sleep.”

She took it from me, a puzzled look on her face. “Why? You said you don’t like me.”

“I know,” I said. “But I don’t have to like you to do the right thing.”

She laid back down on the pillow and closed her eyes. I stepped out of the room and locked the door. I handed the key to Akaavi and told her, “Don’t let her out and don’t let anyone but me in.” Risha and Corso were both standing next to her, and I could see Corso start to say something. “Sorry,” I said. “But trust me. Give her a little time first.”

“What’s next, then?” Risha asked.

“Your friend the Jedi, Sumalee. She owes me,” I said. “Call her and ask her to meet me on Tython.”

“Why?”

“Because the Jedi have lied to me my entire life, and I’m sick of it,” I said. “I’m going to finally get myself some answers.”

I couldn’t sleep.

Lately it was impossible to sleep, even though during the day I always felt tired. It was hard to believe that something so small I couldn’t see it was sapping so much energy from me. I was starting to feel like I didn’t know myself anymore.

I climbed out of bed and pulled on an old robe that I’d stolen from my mother. I was always taking her old things. I didn’t much like the Jedi, but they knew how to make freakishly comfortable clothes. I padded down the hall in my bare, calloused feet until I reached the medbay. I stepped inside and turned on a dim light. Rona moaned as I dragged a chair over to sit by her bed.

“The light hurts,” she said.

“I know,” I said.

“Why are you here?”

“Sometimes it helps to have someone to talk to,” I said. “That’s what I wanted.”

She licked her lips, which were dry. Her voice was strained. “You’ve been through this?”

“Yeah,” I said. “What are you on?”

“Whatever I could get,” she said. “Is it important?”

I shrugged. Better to keep her mind off of the drug withdrawal, anyway. I tried to think of something else to talk about, but she cut in before I could.

“What’s your story, girl?” she asked me, with a look on her face that was a grimace crossed with a smile. “How’d a nice girl like you start doing this?”

I folded a small towel and started to mop the sweat off of her face. I could remember how uncomfortable I’d been, lying on a drenched pillow and trying not to cry. “I got snatched from a cantina when I was seventeen. I danced on Nar Shaddaa for seven months, then when I got freed I fell into this line of work.”

I didn’t want to get into too much detail, but apparently Rona had been around the block enough to fill in everything I’d left out. “How long were you a prostitute?”

I didn’t miss a beat. I didn’t shy away from my past. “Two years.”

“Then what?”

“I ran cons for a while. I used to go into bars in a dancer’s costume and pick pockets, learned how to count cards. For a while I was running a nice credit card scam. Then I started running shipments, and now that’s all I really do.”

“Sounds like a nice life.”

“It’s all right. At least I don’t have people telling me what to do.” I handed her a small glass of water. “Here. You’re going to sweat so much that you’ll get dehydrated.”

She propped herself up on her elbows and swallowed the water, then lay back down, her breathing shallow and pained. I remembered how awful it had felt to be in her position, how terrible it had been to know that a little bit of powder, or half a pill, or a syringe, and I’d feel better. But in the end it would just make it worse.

“How long will this last?”

“Tonight will be the worst,” I said. “In a week or so you’ll be yourself again.”

She closed her eyes. “No. I’ll never be myself again.”

We both drifted off, me sitting in the chair by her bed. I couldn’t really call it sleep, because I was constantly aware of a dull ache in my neck from sitting there so long. But I was out enough that when Rona suddenly grabbed my hand and looked straight at me, I wasn’t sure if I was dreaming or not.

“Areca,” she whispered. “I knew you’d be all right.”

I stayed perfectly still, frozen in place. I had no idea what she meant. Was Areca a person, a place, or something else entirely? She was looking at me, but her eyes were glassy, like she was seeing something that wasn’t there.

“We’re so sorry, Areca,” she whispered. “Please forgive us.”

I stayed silent, and she gripped my hand so tight it hurt. The minutes felt like years, the dark room silent except for our breathing. Eventually she drifted off again, and her hand slipped away. She didn’t wake up again, and I couldn’t fall asleep again either.