Petition - Save the Future of our Class Stories...

Chiron_Prime

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Class quests are the soul of the game. Signed.

/signed

They are what's kept me playing, I enjoy the occasional Ops and FPs, but by far the majority of my playtime has been spent going through the class stories (and by extent the planetary storylines).

Damn it, I've been telling people that they wouldn't do that. That the stories were all ready written and that they wouldn't go back on the plan to add more chapters. I look like a right idiot now, don't I? You can consider me signed, but you should make a real online petition. I'm guessing that I won't be playing a year from now if they aren't planning on releasing more class stories. Edited by errant_knight

This game is nothing without the class stories. Its the same for mass effect, if they removed the RPG aspect of the game nobody would care about it. They need us to care about our characters and their story otherwise there is no other draw to the game.

/Signed

It's unrealistic for an MMO to keep adding on class quest content, unfortunately. As much as I would LOVE them to, they will not devote a team to keep adding on class content. They could phrase it every which way they want to, but the bottom line is that the EA big-wigs will not give the appropriate people the right resources to expand this section of the game. The whole identity of the "story-driven" MMO has been and gone with the move to F2P. Any moderator or developer is free to come in here and twist it any way they want, but it's over for class-specific, story content. It's really sad because that is what so many people seem to love about this game, myself included. Unless they go the route of Starcraft and release further "expansions" complete with new story lines, we won't see any new ones. I doubt EA will put that much effort into a game they previously thought was a "loss".

It's sad. This game could have been so much more.

Edited by Kestalas

It's the reality of it, folks. The developers prior to launch promised us much post launch. They didn't deliver some of it. Daniel Erickson answered in several interviews that the writing team was still fully staffed and reaching 50 would just be the beginning of your character's story. Future acts were a certainty. (This is paraphrased of course)

There are a few things that changed after he said those things. 1.) The sustained profit tanked and the profit goals to keep a full staff were unreachable. 2.) Layoffs happened. 3.) D. Erickson is no longer with the company, nor are 1/2 the class story writers.

We, as the players, had to have seen this as obvious foreshadowing to the futures of our stories... There's no way it'll happen again. I say let's be happy that we at least get recognition for our class story outcomes on Makeb and that we're still getting VO content. Just like Ilum, the NPC's will address you for what you currently are... a living legend.

This is going to change my gameplay entirely. No need to put much effort, let alone real money, into getting good looking moddable gear when I won't be taking most characters in to end game. Might as well use the cheapest gear I can get away with. Same goes for companion gear. No need to bother when it's the same story for all. There's certainly no need to gear a character of each class for endgame, which is what I've been working on. What a waste of time that was, huh?

If there are no class specific stories in the future I'm going back to WoW. This game was so much better than anything just because of the class stories. Without them, though, I'm done with this game and I'll just have to hope for the best with the new trilogy and wait and see if SWTOR comes back.

This is the same for many other people, sadly. If you truly do this, the game will go down the drain with you earning less money in the end :/

May the Force be with you and may you make wise decisions.... Please???

/signed and I might consider this too.

Totally unrealistic to keep all of these classes running independently and expect any type of timely turn-around. I think it would be nice to see some middle ground where we have one large arcing story but it sometimes branches in different manners for each class. I don't just mean the language, which is what I suspect we'll see with this upcoming expansion, but also some different goals or consequences.

After starting this thread, I'm glad to see that 99% of the replies tend to agree that this really should be reconsidered by the devs.

Regarding the idea that it takes more time to develop these stories, I won't argue with that, but given the size of Makeb (supposedly slightly larger than Tatooine), I'd rather see the continuation of class stories and smaller planets in expansions (these also require a lot of work anyway... might as well put in the effort and add more class stories) than huge planet quests that will be boring after the first run on each faction.

Hope the devs take this seriously though... I just have a feeling if they continue down this path, they're just shooting themselves in the foot.

Signed

Sorry to say, as much as I'm loving my subcription and my (so far) 5 characters right now, this announcement means I know the date I'm cancelling...

...the day after my 8th & final class story ends.

"There is no Endgame, there is Class Story"

Totally unrealistic to keep all of these classes running independently and expect any type of timely turn-around. I think it would be nice to see some middle ground where we have one large arcing story but it sometimes branches in different manners for each class. I don't just mean the language, which is what I suspect we'll see with this upcoming expansion, but also some different goals or consequences.

Signed. I also really like this idea and hope this is how it's implemented. But I really hope for class stories to be continued, or at the very least...companion conversations?

I had two ideas in regards to class stories. One is to introduce a Hard Mode option when creating a character. This would make all the enemies more difficult, worth less XP than usual for their level, and in general, play out the story over a much longer period of time.

Incidentally, I was at the developer Q&A, and a question was asked about disabling XP so people can do PvP without XP so they don't level outside of their story line. Unfortunately, it's on their Crazy Wall List of Things To Do™, which means not any time soon. I think it'd also be an excellent option for RP players so they can go on adventures without leveling outside their story line.

My second idea is to hold a contest to immortalize your favorite character in Book form for the Extended Universe. The game already largely follows events from the Old Republic era books, and this one would be a parallel story just like the game, except it follows the unsung hero that helped change the galaxy (either for good or bad). Write up a short story about your character's past before the start of SWTOR, characteristics, mannerisms, personal conflicts, family, etc.

The author would have some creative license, of course. Darth Loves-To-Knit probably wouldn't make a good character name outside of the game. :p

Edited by Wreckcenter

Signed. I also really like this idea and hope this is how it's implemented. But I really hope for class stories to be continued, or at the very least...companion conversations?

Jupp. If we cannot have class specific stories at least let our companions talk to us. That will give each class something special to look forward to. Otherwise one you have done your avengers-arc you have seen it all pretty much.

*keeping fingers crossed for something with companions in the future*

Also signed. I was really against this game being an MMO. I wasn't even going to buy it. But during the holidays last year, Amazon had it for $5, so I bought it. Once I got to experience the game and the great individual class stories I loved it. If they are not planning on expanding the class stories, then they are taking away the best part of this game. That's one of the main reasons I play a game; it has to tell a good story.

Also signed. I was really against this game being an MMO. I wasn't even going to buy it. But during the holidays last year, Amazon had it for $5, so I bought it. Once I got to experience the game and the great individual class stories I loved it. If they are not planning on expanding the class stories, then they are taking away the best part of this game. That's one of the main reasons I play a game; it has to tell a good story.

$5? Dang.. Spent $150 on this game almost 2 years ago (July 2011)... I feel like a sucker. Oh well lol.

Class stories really are amazing. I hope they'll do something, but who knows. Class stories were probably the most development intensive aspects of this game. Shared world arcs are the future, folks. Look on the bright side. Even though it's Bioware's excuse that class stories were a way to establish your character's significance in the Galaxy and that future stories would be in greater scale (galaxy-wide) instead of personal .. it does make sense. All of the classes hit their proverbial ceilings when it comes to their careers/standings.

Edited by DarthGile

$5? Dang.. Spent $150 on this game almost 2 years ago (July 2011)... I feel like a sucker. Oh well lol.

Class stories really are amazing. I hope they'll do something, but who knows. Class stories were probably the most development intensive aspects of this game. Shared world arcs are the future, folks. Look on the bright side. Even though it's Bioware's excuse that class stories were a way to establish your character's significance in the Galaxy and that future stories would be in greater scale (galaxy-wide) instead of personal .. it does make sense. All of the classes hit their proverbial ceilings when it comes to their careers/standings.

Entirely true... however, they could've still put a class specific spin onto some of them as well. After all, a Trooper is most likely to handle the same situation differently then say a Smuggler or Imperial Agent.

Edited by FuryoftheStars

I'd love to see class stories continue, but I think it's important to be realistic about this. The dev team seems to put far more effort into the Cartel Market (just look at the last umpteen patch notes and what percent of them deals with the market), than content for the game.

Combined with a reduced staff, and a largely transient freebie population that has no long term investment in the game going through the revolving doors, and I imagine it'd be an incredibly tough sell to the suits at EA by the devs of this game to put resources into continuing the class stories.

Sometimes it's picking your battles that gets you nice things, and this just doesn't seem like a winnable one.