No Reason to Craft

Tragamite

Except you're missing the point of the "no reason to craft" title. Mods are the only reason other than stims to craft. So IF those are the only professions utilized then no one really needs to put anything in the exchange or buy from it as they would just craft for themselves.

Artifice is being out sourced by the Cartels like Armormech and Syntgweaving with modable gear Armstech atleast has barrels to keep it alive but modable weapons to include offhand give way to more Cybertechs! Artifice even used to have a market with shields, generators and foci. Now with modables that is wasted talent. They have access to rakata relics which are BoP all other relics or purchased.

So as the title says there is no reason to craft.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to not bother with purple quality stuff pre-50, they really do tend to be a waste of resources to gain, i mean if you loot it or get it via a quest, then go for it, but crafting it is not really worthwhile, the blue quality gear and mods are worth crafting and selling.

This is not always true. It's certainly not worthwhile to outfit a pre-50 character with level-appropriate purples at every slot, but items really make a difference. My first character was a Sage with Artifice and in the process of leveling it, he learned many purple Might and Resolve Hilts as well as some crystals and enhancements. I played a Juggernaut next and supplying him with purple Might Hilts made a noticeable difference. Now I'm playing a Sentinel and the guy is practically unstoppable. Sentinels dual-wield lightsabers so he needs twice as many hilts, but the damage he does seems highly dependent on the lightsabers used and with purples he's really powerful. I haven't checked, but it might also be worthwhile to outfit tank-type classes in purple armor and so on.

For example, a level 11 blue quality Armoring, regardless of stats, (they all cost the same) costs 2 silica, 4 Desh and 2 Terenthium

Those resources are easily gathered, which techically costs roughly 500cr to gather the resources, craft the item and then place it on the GTN for 1500-2000cr per armoring, the price dependant on if you had any mission failures.

But why would anybody do this? First, at level 11 most people only have one or two pieces of custom armor and they probably already came with a blue Armoring. Second, the early levels go quickly so they'll outgrow that Armoring within a few hours of play and there's no sense in buying something unless it really makes a difference (which a blue Armoring is very unlikely to do). Third, at levels where doing crew skills does not involve sending away your only companion, 1000 credits of profit is not much of an incentive (and remember, to get that blue you needed to have crafted and reverse engineered a bunch of greens).

To be honest, I don't see how crafting anything that will be sold for less than 10000 makes any sense -- you can probably sell the materials for more. My Juggernaut is currently leveling up Cybertech and when I have blues left over because I got lucky and researched a purple schematic quickly, I sell the blues for below market rate (I just want to get rid of them!), but even with those I haven't had to go below 8000 so far.

Tragamite, I didn't miss the point, I just have not come to agree with it. I do agree with your argument that all crafted armor should be moddable. That would be a great way of making crafted items more competitive rather than perhaps being fantastic for a level or so (talking blue and green here), then suddenly being rendered obsolete by the next random mob drop.

I don't agree that there is "no reason" to craft, as if that were the case, there would be no market for crafted goods. I know that to be false from experience. If items did not bind on pickup/equip, there would definitely be no market.

Another thing I have yet to notice is an augment slot on found equipment. I haven't experimented much with augments, but can those slots be added to existing equipment, or are they only available on equipment crafted with an augment slot?

Edited by -Wes-

also, take into account the price of raw materials on the GTN. If i go gather my mats myself and i need 2 desh, 2 silica and 2 terenthium for one item and those mats sell for 2-3000 creds on the market (doesnt happen for low lvl stuff, but it sure does for tier 3 and higher) or more, why bother making stuff out of it if u can only sell it for maybe 1000 creds more?

purple mods is even worse, most of the time u'd need to sell ur crafted gear/mods for at least 50k, just to get even with the price of mats u just used.

So, as long as the discrepancy between gathering the mats and selling those with profit and using mats to actually craft something and sell that at an equal profit isnt adressed, nothing can change.

which brings up the op's point and title....there is indeed no reason to craft, other then for ur own characters

also, take into account the price of raw materials on the GTN.

True, but then you're not buying them, are you? It's the buyers that set the market. Are you actually selling your materials for these prices, or just trying to sell? When I go and look at materials out there, I see a HUGE supply of everything and, at the asking prices, it seems there's a reason for that. ;)

I took a look at rubat crystals when I first set up my shadow as a free-to-play (preferred) and was limited to two slots. I originally chose synthweaving and underworld trading, but quickly realized that was a no-go when I looked at the crystals on GTN and found them to be something like 1,000 credits each (remember, this is level 1 crystal). Um...no. So, I dumped synthweaving, took archaeology, and picked up crafting again after gaining my third slot.

why bother making stuff out of it if u can only sell it for maybe 1000 creds more?

Why not? It's a thousand credits more and less to juggle. But, I suspect you'd have a difficult time even selling it to "break even" if materials are selling for what you're suggesting, let alone make an extra grand.

as long as the discrepancy between gathering the mats and selling those with profit and using mats to actually craft something and sell that at an equal profit isnt adressed, nothing can change.

If there are nutcases out there who will actually buy the raw materials at such prices, then you're right, nothing can change. What is there to "address," though? It's the buyers that let something like that happen. I cannot fathom why anyone would buy raw materials rather than collect their own (except in the odd one-up circumstance) if the materials are so ridiculously inflated as compared to gathering. Economically, it doesn't hold water. So, if our community's members are "broken" in that regard, then the merchants that want the simplicity of selling the raw materials can simply continue doing so.

In the meantime, I can continue filling a market niche.

The problem here is, is that crafters tend to be lazy and buy materials from the GTN exclusively, which is likely why they pay such insane prices for their crafted items, its that or just outright greed or a mixture of both, i am not sure.

I am totally willing to pay the material cost of the items and a little bit extra as a tip for the work, but it seems like if it doesn't have atleast 4 zeros in the tip, they "can't be asked" they tell me.

I am thinking bioware need to set up a value system that we can go by, so nothing can be overpriced or underpriced, its like this armoring can be crafted easily and cheaply, i can gather them for next to nothing, yet i see it on the GTN for 5k each sometimes or they are never there at all.

I can understand purple quality items costing more to make, since throughout all my times gathering materials from Underworld Trading, i can get a full stack of Terenthium before i get any of Agrinium, so i can understand why purple items are so pricey, no matter the level of the item.

I know, i will get flamed for this or moaned at or whatever, but my idea is a good one, but it takes effort and not many people can make an effort for something to work, hence why the economy and resource market is so fubar'ed right now.

The problem here is, is that crafters tend to be lazy and buy materials from the GTN exclusively, which is likely why they pay such insane prices for their crafted items, its that or just outright greed or a mixture of both, i am not sure.

So you think gathered materials are free?

There is no value whatsoever to spending time going through the game world?

Tell me, why are you so lazy you want to buy crafted gear from others rather than make it yourself?

Edited by Khevar

Except for Artifice, Cybertech and Biochem there really is no reason for crafting in this game. Armstech can make barrels but that is about the usefulness of it. Crafting Greens, Blues and Purples are relativly useless as EVERYONE uses modible gear! Artifice and Cybertech make the mods and Biochem for stims really why is there anything else in game?

Really you need to add in COOL looking armor and weapons to be crafted by Synthweaving, Armormech and Armstech to entice people to do these and feel like they made the right choice! OR redue the armor and weapons currently craftable to BE modible. You craft a green it is a green modible with green mods, reverse engineer for blues and purples just like we can except they are ALL modible!

THEN make Orange Armor give a SET bonus that IS NOT as good as PvP or PvE sets but makes it nice to craft a SET.

ADD in POST endgame items that can rival a endgame piece that really makes the Armor and Weapons crafting viable, yet modable so mods can be min/maxxed to players tastes.

All these "cool" items from the Cartel Market hurts the game economy and crafting professions!

Overall I'm inclined to agree. Crafting Color Crystals is obsolete thanks to the Cartel Market and once 2.0 hits the need for Cybertech Armoring/Mods and Artifice Enhancement will drastically decrease as well (see Planetary Commendations).

I think a serious revamp to crafting is needed overall. I think the number of modifications should be severely reduced. Instead of having new upgrades in armorings, mods etc. every two levels how about every 6 to 8 levels and make the changes more significant to support it? How about getting stuff that goes up to just shy of Columi level so that it's viable for flashpoints but not quite there for the bigger ops? Being able to craft modifications that would allow me to jump immediately into Tier 1 ops would be pretty nice (if they weren't already giving away a free set of Tionese and Recruit gear that is). I feel that this would drastically increase the usefulness for artifice and cybertech. How about, as others have suggested, getting cool and unique gear that only armormechs and synthweavers can craft? Biochem is pretty good as it is what with the reusable stims and adrenals but I'm sure there's definitely work for improvement here too. Along with all that, how about attaching a bonus to stats for various professions? Things like +200 Force Power if you choose Artifice? Or +200 Accuracy for Armstech or +3000HP for Biochem? Serious useful bonuses that fit with the theme of the craft that would make people sit up and ask what they really want their character to go for?

Unfortunately, as it is right now I'd have to agree with the originator of this post.

Unfortunately, as it is right now I'd have to agree with the originator of this post.

I was looking at the market a little more last night after reading this thread, and I'm there. While I don't understand why people would pay the extortion prices being posted on the GTN for materials, there's no way that crafted items could go for more than the materials to make them.

Shame, really, but I'm still going to buck the trend and not go the profiteer route. I'll only post crafted items on the GTN; I'm keeping all my raw materials for myself (and any guild mates that might need them).

• 3 weeks later...

Level 50 crystal from cartel market can be used by level 10 up so the only viable item from artifice now are enhancements. Most everyone is running around in modable gear as soon as they can get it so crafting green blue or purple gear is wasted effort in most cases.

Biochem makes consumables everyone can use and are demanded in many cases and implants that everyone needs 2 of. Cybertech makes armorings and mods for someone fully modable gear provides 18 parts plus the earpeice ship parts droid parts and consumables that many players do use.

If every item crafted weapon or armor was modable or offered a set bonus or special bonus for using them it would vastly improve thwarting other crafting professions. Additionally there has to be an end game item that can only be provided and/or used by the crafter making it THE profession to have.

I have just canceled my subscription. After leveling two crafters (cybertech and artificer) to a full 400 point skills and levelling both to L50 I have realized obtaining any endgame schematics (23-26 tier) is impossible or extremely hard. :(

I really wanted to continue playing, but I am not willing to spend hours and hours in operations and flashpoints only to find out the stuff I will receive for commendations cannot be reverse engineered anyway. :mad:

Are you taking into account how much you could sell those materials for? Because if you could sell the materials for more than what you make on crafting the kits then you are selling yourself short. Self gathered materials are NOT free. Believe me, I used to think like that. Suffice it to say, that looking at materials and crafted goods pricing on the WoW auction house changed my mind. And this was after 5+ years playing various MMOs with the "self gathered materials are free" mentality.

Getting back to the OP's assertion...augments are VERY profitable. Even the blue quality augments crafted by my synthweaver and armormech sell VERY well and VERY consistently. It is by no means millions over night, but it is a steady source of income for my legacy.

I used to pick up 3 gathering skills and gather materials to sell and unlike majority of the playerbase that just wants more profit for as little effort as possible, it was safe to say, the economy is never getting fixed, i tried to get it fixed and i get ripped apart by those that likely take full advantage of the screwed up economy on their own servers.

I personally give up with it, no one else cares, why should i.

I used to pick up 3 gathering skills and gather materials to sell and unlike majority of the playerbase that just wants more profit for as little effort as possible, it was safe to say, the economy is never getting fixed, i tried to get it fixed and i get ripped apart by those that likely take full advantage of the screwed up economy on their own servers.

I personally give up with it, no one else cares, why should i.

I am genuinely curious about something. When you say, "I tried to get it fixed" what have you actually tried?

I saw one post where you recommended that Bioware put a cap on sale prices of items, and over a dozen posts that complain about how greedy crafters are with very little data to back it up. When myself or a handful of others try to debate the issue, you disappear and stop responding -- only to pop up in another thread and say the same thing.

I would actually be interested in discussion with you on the subject, except for the fact that you fly in, call all of us crafters a bunch lazy greedy jerks, then disappear.

It doesn't particularly bother me, feel free to post whatever you want. But you have to realize that this behavior tends to de-legitimize your position, and makes you look like a troll trying to get a response out of people.

• 2 weeks later...

Why were we not given cool crafting options with 2.0? Cartel weapons glow, have lightning or smoke effects but the new paterns for advanced crafting gives nothing to be desired. They are skins that look no better then what is out there already so who is going to choose them over something else?

This is really what I am getting at! Why choose to craft something with no added benifit? No Profit, No effects, no status for crafting the item. If these weapons were BoP who would make them? NOONE cause they are not any better than what is out already and they can not compete with the Cartel Options.

Give us a reason to be a crafter again I beg of you!!!

I guess I truly don't understand where the op is coming from. Since 2.0 I have all crafting and gathering at 450. Other than the odd drop rate on some of the purple mats issue that bioware is currently looking into, I am seeing huge profits from artifice (28 Hilts for 300k), armstech (MK-9 Kits for 350-500k, Augments for 500-800k), synthweaving (Augments for 500-800k)......Armormech seems it got shafted a bit what with the mats cost to make and re for components for aug kits, but they were due considering they had the advantage pre 2.0. Prior to the expansion I was making 10's upon 10's of millions off the augment kits alone.... and that was at a quite reasonable price of 30-40k per. Biochem still seems to be biochem.... no real changes there and still making a steady profit on stims, medpacks, and adrenals. But to the attempted point of the op..... I haven't done dailies in months, and could steadily make a clear and strong profit off every crafting skill I have. The only real point I see could be made would be crafting armor sets, or something of that nature... Would make it a bit more interesting to have some rare armor sets with interesting set bonuses. But that would have to be a very rare drop in a hm operation, world boss, or something of that nature. And of course.... it would go for huge creds when crafted..... Hence the idea of a RARE item...... Putting limits on what an item can or can't be sold for would completely ruin a free market. That kind of thinking is just ridiculous. Don't like the prices.... role another toon and learn the skill.... plain and simple. Want to make the big bucks.... join a guiild, run endgame pvp/pve and make the rare stuff yourself. Don't really see what all the fuss is about.

@Lahandra:

last time I checked, MK-9 kits are 225k each while augments start from 300k (purple ones) which makes kits still good to sell, but with drop rate of purple mats, selling augments might be hardly called 'profitable'

I guess I truly don't understand where the op is coming from. Since 2.0 I have all crafting and gathering at 450. Other than the odd drop rate on some of the purple mats issue that bioware is currently looking into, I am seeing huge profits from artifice (28 Hilts for 300k), armstech (MK-9 Kits for 350-500k, Augments for 500-800k), synthweaving (Augments for 500-800k)......Armormech seems it got shafted a bit what with the mats cost to make and re for components for aug kits, but they were due considering they had the advantage pre 2.0. Prior to the expansion I was making 10's upon 10's of millions off the augment kits alone.... and that was at a quite reasonable price of 30-40k per. Biochem still seems to be biochem.... no real changes there and still making a steady profit on stims, medpacks, and adrenals. But to the attempted point of the op..... I haven't done dailies in months, and could steadily make a clear and strong profit off every crafting skill I have. The only real point I see could be made would be crafting armor sets, or something of that nature... Would make it a bit more interesting to have some rare armor sets with interesting set bonuses. But that would have to be a very rare drop in a hm operation, world boss, or something of that nature. And of course.... it would go for huge creds when crafted..... Hence the idea of a RARE item...... Putting limits on what an item can or can't be sold for would completely ruin a free market. That kind of thinking is just ridiculous. Don't like the prices.... role another toon and learn the skill.... plain and simple. Want to make the big bucks.... join a guiild, run endgame pvp/pve and make the rare stuff yourself. Don't really see what all the fuss is about.

Must agree. There seems to be a limited number of items that are generating (currently) huge profits for gulid / endgame players. I say the heck with the other 90% of the players and those who want to craft a diverse set of offerings.

My only worry is that when the first rush of the items that you are selling is over and many people find that they have almost no income, who are we elite wonderous ones going to sell to? Perhaps we should just sit on our huge pile of credits and gloat at the rest of the players around us. Works for the two of us or so it seems.

In response to both of the above posts.... I also have a guildie with more millions than myself I might add.... that's doing just fine making low level purples and such..... Just think anyone crying too hard about the crafting in the game just doesn't know how to find a good niche in the market..... plain and simple. It doesn't HAVE to be ubber endgame gear your making money off of......

@Atramar - Just sounds like the economy is a bit different on your server...... but the drop rate on the purples will be corrected anyway...... so no biggie.

@asbalana - The market for augments and augment kits NEVER dries up..... beauty of it :) If at some point the endgame market does in fact dry up, then it's time to move on to a new game because the player base dried up with it :) And it's not like running out of credits in this game is a real issue at all..... worst case.... break down and do your dailies.

@Tragamite - The reason you don't get cool stuff like that to craft is because it would basically make the cartel market (essentially a cosmetics market) pointless..... in which case.....it would end a source of revenue to keep the game going.... you sure you want that?? :)

Edited by Lahandra

@Lahandra:

last time I checked, MK-9 kits are 225k each while augments start from 300k (purple ones) which makes kits still good to sell, but with drop rate of purple mats, selling augments might be hardly called 'profitable'

Give it a month. I guarantee as supply of materials increases prices will come down. In the 13+ years I have played MMOs and the multitude of expansions, this situation ALWAYS happens with an expansion and a month later, players are complaining that they cannot make money anymore because the market is now flooded.

Give it a month. I guarantee as supply of materials increases prices will come down. In the 13+ years I have played MMOs and the multitude of expansions, this situation ALWAYS happens with an expansion and a month later, players are complaining that they cannot make money anymore because the market is now flooded.

100% this ^^^

Last week, Exotic Element Equalizers were selling for 600k each.

This week, Exotic Element Equalizers are selling for 150k each.

Last week, Grade 28 Reflex Barrels were selling for 500k each.

This week, Grade 28 Reflex Barrels are selling for 80k each.

Of course they will.... no one in their right mind would argue with you..... and in a month you will start to see whatever is RE'd from the hm op's take over the market as the highest priced items...... such is the way of an mmo. But there will still be a steady market for the aug related stuff that will NEVER go away...... Only point I was trying to make is that every crafting skill is viable in some form, and you can find a niche market with any of them that will make you money..... Currently, as with any mmo..... you stike while the iron is hot on the new stuff..... Once the market is flooded..... you return to the old standby's. Even when there is no real reason to complain.... people will always try to find one.....

Edited by Lahandra

@Lahandra:

This one kinda cracks me up though..... so what your telling me is.... you have run 100 slicing missions at 3k per mission and haven't gotten 4 purples??? I find that quite hard to believe...... even with the crap drop rate, and the cost of collecting the other mats included I would still be making a profit selling augs for 300k. Sorry... not buying that one.

Edited by Lahandra

In response to both of the above posts.... I also have a guildie with more millions than myself I might add.... that's doing just fine making low level purples and such..... Just think anyone crying too hard about the crafting in the game just doesn't know how to find a good niche in the market..... plain and simple. It doesn't HAVE to be ubber endgame gear your making money off of......

@Atramar - Just sounds like the economy is a bit different on your server...... but the drop rate on the purples will be corrected anyway...... so no biggie.

@asbalana - The market for augments and augment kits NEVER dries up..... beauty of it :) If at some point the endgame market does in fact dry up, then it's time to move on to a new game because the player base dried up with it :) And it's not like running out of credits in this game is a real issue at all..... worst case.... break down and do your dailies.

@Tragamite - The reason you don't get cool stuff like that to craft is because it would basically make the cartel market (essentially a cosmetics market) pointless..... in which case.....it would end a source of revenue to keep the game going.... you sure you want that?? :)

I must respectfully disagree. I am also in the group with many many many millions. They were made pre 2.0. I found not one or two but several niche areas and worked them all. I also sold mats. Since I am not in a guild and do not raid, I had no way (chose not to buy and re items above level 22) to make the million credit sales. I did not craft or earn my credits from super uber endgame gear. Dailies are optional to me since I have no need for credits and at this point probably never will. If I never earn another credit, I have enough to carry me through all of my playing days and still have many many many millions left.

The problem that you have identified as not understanding is that crafting of non super uber gear is now worthless and many of the niche markets are gone. Items that can be bought from a comm vendor at Makeb level or below (mods, armorings, barrels, enhancements, and hilts) are now off the table. You cannot sell any of those items any longer. The markets are gone. You cannot sell the mats used to make those items any longer. The markets are gone. Are there areas left where you can make money for non uber items? Yes. But not that many and crafters will migrate to them and kill the profitability by their numbers.

I honestly do not have a handle on mats and crafting for items over level 25. I know that I do not get warm and fuzzy from what I am reading about it. More as a frustration avoidance decision than anything else, I have held off on my crafting progression post level 400. That was my choice and I do not regret the lost / early oppertunity. My nature is that since I have more millions than I can ever need, why rush to make more until crafting is fixed and I have an idea of what actually will shake out post 400. If crafting is viable post 400 there will be plenty of credits to be made over the long run. But to point of what people are saying, the pre 25 markets are dead and gone in most areas.

The last point that I would make addresses you comments about augments and kits. I don't know about either in the long run. Pre 2.0 my experience was that augments at level 22 did not sell well or for much of a profit when they did. Kits always sell, but the price (mk-6) had dropped to the low 20k level and they were becoming not worth the effort. Yes the mk-6s have jumped back to the 40s, but how long will that hold. Indeed as people progress through Makeb and to the end the top level augments and kits will sell. But I am not sure how long that will hold and how prices will shake out as more and more crafters make them since they have little else make that is viable. I dearly hope that I am wrong, but I feel that Makeb does not have the legs and after a few alts, people will not run through it. So compared to those reaching level 50 on alts, Makeb will fall way short. That will reduce the possible salesof augments and kits as people reach cap.

I dearly hope that I am wrong, but I think that there will be a large drop in the player base a few months out that is much like the plummet a few months after launch. EA has done the smoke and mirrors thing and pulled a number of rabbits out of the proverbial hat to save the game (f2p and expansion) but there are no more rabbits and no more hats from this point on. LOL, the changes in crafting may be one of a number of contribution factors. Your comment about finding another mmo may be more real than one would think at this time. Of course, that is just my opinion and I hope that I am very wrong.