The Miss Understood Merc

VIZIOO

Mercs we have/had been miss understood by the perception ppl have with us..we're not an Op class..we just an average class that can easily fall into the same category as PTs.. in total honesty, its everyone's perception that makes us Op..We have the same Combat Proficiencies as everyone else..no more no less..

So feel free to post your opinions in support of my thread.. share does wonderful experiences as a merc..and how u have overcome the stigma they have on us..

Well sure, I mean in hands of a noob player a Merc can easily get globalled, OP defensives or not. There are several things that help the Merc be considered OP. However, it all depends on how the enemy players go against the Merc.

For example, you have reflect, which reflects and heals you, HOWEVER if the enemy does not attack you or uses aoe, the defensive is useless. It only buys you a few seconds of "not being attacked". Shield is the same, it provides damage reduction but if you are attacked it will heal you at the end. Again, if players dont attack u, even soft stun you for the duration of the shield, your defensive is useless. Lastly the Kolto heal, yes, that one is pretty good. Chaff Flare was nerfed already.

Playing a Merc also depends on the player. The Arsenal Rotation is pretty simple, but was nerfed already. That added to the fact that people chose to play it, cause it was too easy to play, there was no energy management etc.

Nevertheless, if you dont play the Merc at a good level you are still dead, mainly if up against good players. A Merc is only as good as the person that plays him. If you dont use your cds and stuns effectively, kite, keep your distance etc you will still be useless in the wz.

Well you are right and wrong in same time because mercs/mandos are not OP and are OP in same time mister....

We can say they are victims of incompetence and ignorance of developers and imbeciles players who always switch to OP classes because they are to lazy to put some effort to play... Basically same thing what happens to sorcs/sages back in the the days (sometime around patch 3.1.2 if I recall). Anyway mercs/mandos DPS are not OP this is true but thier defeneses still are so I don't want to be rude but if someone miss understood current state of this class is unfortunately you mister...:rak_03:

P.S. Sorry for my bad English

The real problem is when you get against a group full of em.

Its too much defensives and offheals to deal with. Not to say the nets.

OH YES! I have to agree there, its like you focus one, he pops reflect, you swap focus to another he pops reflect etc, this way they cycle through cds and your team is dying during that :D

But in general that goes for any class, if you get against 4 of them. The thing is just that you dont get 4 Maras or Sins or Sorcs (lol), just 4 Mercs sometimes.

Edited by merovejec

Although im reasonably certain this is a troll post, ill bite cause why not.

I have mained a Merc since day 1 of beta. Pre 5.0 I was as vocal as anyone about the class needing help defensively in PvP. I left that game for a year and came back to find they had literally thrown the kitchen sick at us in response.

Bottom line the incoming nerfs are needed, warranted, and appropriate. Mercs are however not the only class in this place, we all know who they are, and the other 2 often have significantly higher damage output potential. Mercs are the current poster child for the problem, and that is one thing that is misunderstood as it certainly isnt unique to them but thats another discussion.

PTs are to me in the sample place where Mercs used to be. One can only hope they dont make the same mistake twice and over compensate.

For example, you have reflect, which reflects and heals you, HOWEVER if the enemy does not attack you or uses aoe, the defensive is useless. It only buys you a few seconds of "not being attacked". Shield is the same, it provides damage reduction but if you are attacked it will heal you at the end.

Quick reminder, aoe doesn't work that well. A lot of class with procs on their aoe (every sin spec, Carnage mara, fury mara, rage jugg... ) will trigger the defensive anyway even if they aoe. Also... "Not attacking" ? Well damn, I'll be sure to do this next time I play ranked. Freecast is always the best solution ;)

Back to topic. 1/10, try better man. Subtle hint, nobody yet asked to nerf PT, you should check this out and make a post about this too. :rak_03:

Edited by supertimtaf

Quick reminder, aoe doesn't work that well. A lot of class with procs on their aoe (every sin spec, Carnage mara, fury mara, rage jugg... ) will trigger the defensive anyway even if they aoe. Also... "Not attacking" ? Well damn, I'll be sure to do this next time I play ranked. Freecast is always the best solution ;)

Back to topic. 1/10, try better man. Subtle hint, nobody yet asked to nerf PT, you should check this out and make a post about this too. :rak_03:

Ironically, one of the classes with great spammable aoe for dealing with the merc situation.......is a merc. (sweeping blasters)

The OP was obviously trolling but I'm going to play along anyway, because I'm bored. :cool:

One of my PVP toons is an arsenal merc and I think the class needs nerfing. It is true that two of the merc/commando DCDs are easy to counter, but stuns, AOE, or switching targets is only viable if you have one merc or commando to deal with. In most warzones you have at least three. The previous post that talked about switching from one merc that popped reflect to another merc that popped reflect was on the money. When there is more than one merc there are two many rotating DCDs to deal with.

Also quite frankly most players do not play smart and you're just about guaranteed that someone will heal you to full rather than stun or switch targets. Marauders especially are bad at this...they will stand there wailing on you repeatedly with the reflect up never catching on that they are healing you. There are some great Marauder players in this game but for whatever reason that class as a whole seems to attract the dumbest PVPers. For every great Marauder there are at least ten who go into warzones with no brain activity beyond, "HULK SMAAAAAAASH!"

Either Trauma Regulators needs to be dumped entirely so that Energy Shield only absorbs damage and doesn't heal when it drops, or the heal effects of both Energy Shield and Responsive Safeguards (reflect) need some tweaking downward. Maybe move Trauma Regulators over to Powertech.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

If you want to talk about the Miss Understood Merc, we should probably also talk about the Mr. Understood Merc as well. For fairness.

I know him, he's a chill dude. Nets me once every 90 seconds (give or take) and always emotes the bare minimum after he sends me back to spawn.