Is Sorc fun in PvP?

TrumpetNut

At level 50 sorc would be fun if you:

1. (Healer) Enjoy being a running around healer - admittedly very annoying for the enemy team.

2. (Utility) Enjoy spamming bubbles, dying, respawning and spamming bubbles again. Then log into the forum and read the complaints about the resolve system with a satisfied grin ;)

3. (DPS) Enjoy throwing mighty lightning strikes that ... tickle other people so they can find their way easier to you and show you proper DPS in the form of a smash, ambush, rail-shot etc.

4. (<18yo) Enjoy spending your whole life grinding and modding your gear to the ultimate stats in the galaxy to finally accomplish what other advanced classes do from the beginning.

Honestly I would personally only call fun the possibility to rescue the ball handler to a better position, considering you live long enough to do it.

this ... only healer and only huttball - pull ppl, thats fun

I run a full madness spec and let me say, don't expect people to beat your door down for rated warzones. In fact don't even expect a knock.

Hopefully in the future this will change as I have alot invested in my sorceror at 83 valor.

Probably the most fun class I've played so far and I've played 6 of he 8 AC's.

It's more fun to DPS than heal IMO but dorc DPS is not optimal for rated. But you can have a ton of fun with it in regs and very capable of owning face in the right hands.

Fun, yes.

Viable in PvP, depends.

• Extremely effective against baddies (they dont know how to deal with CC).
  • Moderately effective against PUG's, dissarray and lack of coordination give you enough to slip death.
  • Horrible against premades and any team composition. The coordination by premades ensures you will be permanently rooted. It only takes 8 seconds from a competent warrior, powertech or Juggernaught to lay on the hurt in a way you cannot recover.

Pretty good summary here. Sorc DPS is hella fun and you can (with reasonable skill) put up decent numbers in unranked warzone competitions. Which is all I play in so I mean, I just roll with that.

Just at the highest end, it just doesn't hang with other DPS specs. If anyone was legitimately good enough to take a DPS sorc to a rated, then it'd be argued he'd be far better served levelign a more powerful alt and doing 30-50% more damage in the same scenario.

Sorcs/Sages are fun if you play a specific way. As others have mentioned, they have amazing utility in pvp and have lots of cool abilities. For those that typically complain about sorcs/sages being useless, they are probably using the middle skill tree where most of their abilities are casts.

I have a Balance Sage (not sure of the name-equivalent for Sorcs) and I'm pretty geared. I have no problem taking out a mara/sent or a jugg/guard. You just need to learn how to kite, use LOS, etc. Know your limitations, don't go running head-first against a gap-closer and expect to win. Kite him, root him, interrupt, stun, etc. Unless the "gap-closers" are fully geared, I typically have no problem burning them down 1v1.

You can also do great CC. I'm going to use the Sage terms, but I'm sure you'll get the idea. In a Civil War match, as a Balance Sage, I went grass with 1 other person. I was the one to intercept. I used speed burst right away and used Force in Balance (an AOE) and immediately slowed ppl by bringing them into combat. I used "Force Slow" to slow down one, "force stun" to stun another, used my INSTANT "force lift" on the guy that broke his CC breaker, and then then used my knock-back. Basically, I used all my abilities to slow down 4 players that rushed grass, and my teammate that went to get grass capped with no problem. In huttball, i like to use the instant CC as someone crosses the firepit, or rush to the endzone and pull ppl up from the pit or down from the catwalk. In voidstar I pull anybody in danger to the side and bubble them and drop a couple quick heals. I can go on, but I think you get the idea. Just learn your abilities and your limitations and you will have a blast using Sorcs/Sages :) Plus if you know how to DoT people properly, you can easily hit anywhere between 400-600k in DPS in a full match.

For healing, I think this is fun especially if you have team mates guarding or kiting for you. I think its fun but of course you always get targeted right away.

For that middle tree... I cant think of the name but for Sages it's Telekenetics. Most of those abilities are casts. Easily interrupted. As fun as this one is, IMO it's the worst in pvp.

Good hunting!

Edited by Black-Cell

And ability wise about what level does the sorc gain most of it's highest factor abilities. Like lvl 10 you have nothing but some and a t level _______ you ave the good abilities that are______? So what level does it start getting way more comfortable?(it always is but before 50 where is the 1st sot where you feel good about you abils?)

Sorcs/Sages are fun if you play a specific way. As others have mentioned, they have amazing utility in pvp and have lots of cool abilities. For those that typically complain about sorcs/sages being useless, they are probably using the middle skill tree where most of their abilities are casts.

I have a Balance Sage (not sure of the name-equivalent for Sorcs) and I'm pretty geared. I have no problem taking out a mara/sent or a jugg/guard. You just need to learn how to kite, use LOS, etc. Know your limitations, don't go running head-first against a gap-closer and expect to win. Kite him, root him, interrupt, stun, etc. Unless the "gap-closers" are fully geared, I typically have no problem burning them down 1v1.

You can also do great CC. I'm going to use the Sage terms, but I'm sure you'll get the idea. In a Civil War match, as a Balance Sage, I went grass with 1 other person. I was the one to intercept. I used speed burst right away and used Force in Balance (an AOE) and immediately slowed ppl by bringing them into combat. I used "Force Slow" to slow down one, "force stun" to stun another, used my INSTANT "force lift" on the guy that broke his CC breaker, and then then used my knock-back. Basically, I used all my abilities to slow down 4 players that rushed grass, and my teammate that went to get grass capped with no problem. In huttball, i like to use the instant CC as someone crosses the firepit, or rush to the endzone and pull ppl up from the pit or down from the catwalk. In voidstar I pull anybody in danger to the side and bubble them and drop a couple quick heals. I can go on, but I think you get the idea. Just learn your abilities and your limitations and you will have a blast using Sorcs/Sages :) Plus if you know how to DoT people properly, you can easily hit anywhere between 400-600k in DPS in a full match.

For healing, I think this is fun especially if you have team mates guarding or kiting for you. I think its fun but of course you always get targeted right away.

For that middle tree... I cant think of the name but for Sages it's Telekenetics. Most of those abilities are casts. Easily interrupted. As fun as this one is, IMO it's the worst in pvp.

Good hunting!

Balance = Madness for Sorcerers, and yeah, that branch reminds me a lot of warlocks in WoW. Things build off of each other, and meanwhile you have 3-4 dots bleeding your target all the time.

It just can't put out high end DPS, but very viable for open world and standard warzones.

I like messing around with it sometimes in a combo with 21 point healing. garbage CC but it allows you to adequately DPS or heal depending on your group composition. Handy for solo or two man pugging.

Edited by islander

You can also do great CC. I'm going to use the Sage terms, but I'm sure you'll get the idea. In a Civil War match, as a Balance Sage, I went grass with 1 other person. I was the one to intercept. I used speed burst right away and used Force in Balance (an AOE) and immediately slowed ppl by bringing them into combat. I used "Force Slow" to slow down one, "force stun" to stun another, used my INSTANT "force lift" on the guy that broke his CC breaker, and then then used my knock-back. Basically, I used all my abilities to slow down 4 players that rushed grass, and my teammate that went to get grass capped with no problem. In huttball, i like to use the instant CC as someone crosses the firepit, or rush to the endzone and pull ppl up from the pit or down from the catwalk. In voidstar I pull anybody in danger to the side and bubble them and drop a couple quick heals. I can go on, but I think you get the idea. Just learn your abilities and your limitations and you will have a blast using Sorcs/Sages :) Plus if you know how to DoT people properly, you can easily hit anywhere between 400-600k in DPS in a full match.!

Thumbs up. I bet you died in the turret cc but your sacrifice will be remembered.

Edited by MusicRider

And ability wise about what level does the sorc gain most of it's highest factor abilities. Like lvl 10 you have nothing but some and a t level _______ you ave the good abilities that are______? So what level does it start getting way more comfortable?(it always is but before 50 where is the 1st sot where you feel good about you abils?)

as balance as soon as you get instant tk i would say. as seer as soon as you get healing trance.

My original main was a Sorc and to this day it is the only ac I've that I went a leveled a 50 of its mirror (sage) on, so yes I am a fan.

Sadly the lightning tree that first attracted me to the class pre-launch is terrible in pvp and to me feels clunky in pve.

That said, I have spent significant time as

1.full madness

2.full heal

3.21/20 (back when it was mez not stun)

4.heal/madness hybrid (a blast in unrated and great for soloing)

5.0/13/28 back pre 1.2

And have enjoyed every single one of those variations

For progression content and top end pvp I dps on my sent and heal on my scoundrel, but for sheer fun factor I very much am a fan of Sorc/sages

I'm the same way. If fun is your objective, I love the sorcerer. It's not a top end PvP class, but it's top end fun imo. It's why I still play it every night.

Just like this person said, there are several ways you can play it. I was a pure healer originally. Then I switched to hybrids. The heal/madness is the one I roll with when I get sick of being a pinata as a heal hybrid. Heal hybrid with the stun bubbles is very useful, however you need to have the right mindset to play the class. the DPS on the spec is tragically bad.

I definitely would pass on creeping terror if you want full DPS though. It's pretty underwhelming. Just get the 28.

Edited by islander

i play a sage and i have been balance spec the whole game, what a great spec! great for pve and pvp.

Force in Balance + Telekinetic Throw+ Mind Crush + Weaken Mind + Force Sever and watch the health bars melt away :) i dont know if this is the best rotation but it has certainly served me well. so yes, dps sages and sorcs despite what others may say are totally viable in warzones. especially if you are heals, you can really rack up the MVP votes :)