Conflicting Story

masterleonidas

Interesting... My first point is that there is no logical reason why they would frown upon the use of double-bladed or dual-wield lightsabers. Secondly, Satele Shan (Grand Master of the Jedi Order, Leader of the Jedi Council) uses a double-bladed lightsaber.

I'm intrigued as to where you read this? It may be the case but I've never heard anything to support your claim.

Atton makes a comment in KOTOR2 to the effect that he thought the Jedi frowned on them as Sith instruments. That's the only thing in the KOTOR series I remember against dual-wielding or using a double-blade.

I think, as a philosophy, double-blades are viewed simply for killing others, whereas the Jedi believe a lightsaber is a tool, therefore a single blade should suffice. Whatever the case, the future Obi-Wan throws his lightsaber to Anakin who then dual-wields - if the council forbid it/disliked it/taught against it wouldn't that make Obi Wan another agent of Anakin's demise, leading him to reject the teachings of the Jedi Order? ;>

They're all wrong - REAL Jedi wield TWO double-bladed lightsabers with another one in their TEETH! (Yes, they still wear dresses)

I cant remember where I read this from, but it was something to the extent that dual wielding or using a staff saber meant you had to use a more aggressive technique when fighting. Since Jedi are meant to defend, I could see why it would be frowned upon, but thats not the same as banning their use.

There is no cannon evidence to say that dual wield/double sided sabers were forbidden, or considered dark/evil.

A few times they were called 'sith weapons', etc. simply because the Jedi do not use them (considering only jedi and sith use lightsabers, any type that the sith uses and the jedi don't use can legitimately be called this).

The reason the jedi don't use it was probably because those are considered aggressive weapons. These games have that being a jedi is all about combat skill, however in the story cannon (movie, books, etc.) jedi was not "warrior with a saber". Jedi were medics, negotiators, librarians, etc. Yes all jedi were trained to use a light saber, but for most jedi that was just one trick in the box and something they used to defend themselves if required.

I would also imagine that learning to use two sabers or double ended saber is harder than a single saber. So in that case, it made enough sense that most jedi would only be trained in a single saber. And anyone who wanted to learn to use two, or a double sided saber, would have to justify themselves with a good reason (and the reason of "they are better in combat" would not be a good reason because the jedi are anti-aggression).

But I'd imagine if there WAS a good reason, there would be no reason why a jedi would be forbidden to use two sabers. The Jedi who specialized in combat may know how to use them from a purely academic point of view. During war times, it's possible that this tradition was relaxed and jedi *were* taught how to fight with two.

Basically, I don't think they were ever considered A Bad Thing. But rather, Jedi wouldn't have considered them necessary, where as Sith training would have really liked them.

From what I remember, it was believed by the Jedi that using two sabers or a saber-staff, while not forbidden was frowned upon, because it was thought to only be needed for killing. Jedi are supposed to be defenders of the people, the only need for two sabers is to kill faster, same with the saber-staff.

They didn't look favorably upon it, but they didn't forbid it either.

I cant remember this was stated anywhere, but it might just be.

What was mentioned though, is that wielding double bladed sabres is incredibly difficult and only long training and beeing strong in the force enabled you to do so. Even more so to use two single blades.

This was mentioned a few times in the Dark Bane series.

In ToR everyone and his grandma runs with two, because its concidered cool.

I read that in the old republic, using a double bladed lightsaber and wielding two at the same time was frowned upon by the jedi council. SO why is a ton of people on the republic side running around with them?!?

Where did you read this? In KOTOR you could choose your lightsaber style, it wasn't dictated to you by your class choice. (shakes fist at Bioware). Bastilla, the prodigee of the Jedi council, started off with one. So, since BioWare invented "The Old Republic" I'd say that is pretty much all the canon I need that what you are saying is not so.

Interesting... My first point is that there is no logical reason why they would frown upon the use of double-bladed or dual-wield lightsabers. Secondly, Satele Shan (Grand Master of the Jedi Order, Leader of the Jedi Council) uses a double-bladed lightsaber.

I'm intrigued as to where you read this? It may be the case but I've never heard anything to support your claim.

Ha. As I was writing my post above, I thought to myself, didn't Satele also have a double bladed saber in the Alderaan cinematic.

I read somewhere on the net (maybe on Wookiepedia) that the use of double-bladed lightsabers was banned/discouraged by the Jedi council as this kind of weapon was first used by Exar-Kun, so wielding this was a bad omen and might be a sign of a possible corruption and fall to the dark side.

In KotOR I, in fact,

Bastila Shan wielded a double-bladed lightsabers and eventually became evil toward the end of the game. Apart from the main character (who's always on the brink of corruption, being Darth Revan) I don't remember any other characters wield such lightsabers.

I also don't seem to recall any "famous" Jedi using them apart from Satele Shan here on ToR (haven't played the whole Jedi story so, please don't spoil here please, and she's connected to what I said in the spoiler) and Darth Maul (bad guy), Savage Opress (Clone Wars, bad guy).

Oh yeah, here it is:

Kun was the first to build a double-bladed lightsaber in Republic territory, and the first to wield it against a Jedi in millennia.

And again

The original double-bladed lightsabers were created by the Old Sith Empire, hence the name "Sith lightsaber", who also apparently designed the modern standard lightsaber.

Kao Cen Darach, Satele Shan's master, was duel wielding a double-bladed and a single-bladed lightsaber in the "Return" trailer before Malgus killed him over the skies of Korriban. You can't get a much more "aggressive" lightsaber style than that, huh?

...and then a species with more then two hands. afaik there even was such an abomination. dont remember its name though

That would be Pong Krell.

Uh... Yeah...

Note: I'm not condoning such silliness... just fulfilling a request.

Note #2: At least he's not wielding extra sabers in his two free hands.

That would be Pong Krell.

Uh... Yeah...

Note: I'm not condoning such silliness... just fulfilling a request.

Note #2: At least he's not wielding extra sabers in his two free hands.

Well, there were actually a number of species with multiple appendages if we want to get technical. Codru-ji and besalisks being the two I can think of off the top of my head, but there's at least 5-6 others.

Pong Krell being a besalisk.

dont forget to add random people like General Greivous to the list of multi-appendaged beings. though him being mostly droid, i wouldnt call it a race? but if there was one, htere could be more people like that. and if i recall, he weilded upto 4 sabers? not bad for being a non-force user if i recall correctly. Edited by Tenkari

dont forget to add random people like General Greivous to the list of multi-appendaged beings. though him being mostly droid, i wouldnt call it a race? but if there was one, htere could be more people like that. and if i recall, he weilded upto 4 sabers? not bad for being a non-force user if i recall correctly.

Grievous was an anomaly - the kaleesh only had the usual humanoid allotment of arms/limbs (you can pick one up as a companion as a Sith Inquisitor, infact).

EDIT: I should clarify the anomaly was in the fact he had extra, cybernetic limbs attached, as well as having his feet modified to function as hands as well (seriously, he was a head and a giblet bag for the most part).

Edited by Foxfirega

I read that in the old republic, using a double bladed lightsaber and wielding two at the same time was frowned upon by the jedi council. SO why is a ton of people on the republic side running around with them?!?

It only became frowned upon after the Ruusan Reformation. Prior to this the Sith were an ever present danger and so they were expected to fight Sith and their soldiers. After Ruusan with the Sith believed dead the Jedi had no reason to hold onto their more aggressive weapons and gave up their armor to signify that they were finally giving up war.

A'Sharaad Hett was a master who regularly used dual lightsabers. One was his own and the other belonged to his father who was killed by Aura Sing.

A'Sharaad Hett was the son of Jedi Master Sharaad Hett. Padawan of Ki Adi Mundi and the Dark Lady. He was also one of the few Jedi to escape Order 66 and after returning to the Tusken (his people), he was tracked down by Obi'Wan who defeated him in a duel, cut off his arm and got him exiled from his people (in an attempt to "persuade" him to give up his ideas of revenge for the Jedi Order). He then became a bounty huter and discoveres a Sith holocron on Korriban. Later he became Darth Krayt, one of the more influential Sith to ever reign and created the Rule of One. He was eventually killed by Cade Skywalker.

I would imagine that elite warriors and those close to the Jedi Council are generally considered exceptional enough that they wouldn't have any special stigma from using double/two lightsabers. Which describes every Jedi protagonist from every Star Wars game ever, so that's a good enough explanation for me.