Stats and How They Work

Daellia

Quick question about accuracy as it's relating to the raid bosses- the husband is saying that they have 108% avoidance, which means, theoretically (based on his experience as a sniper) that we really only have a 92% chance to hit unless we up our accuracy to 108%. Have you seen this be the case for sorcs at all? In running EV, i haven't ever seen a miss, but it doesn't mean that the phantom 8% isn't out there... just curious to know. Trying to help out myself and the other sorc in gearing up.

Thanks!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question about accuracy as it's relating to the raid bosses- the husband is saying that they have 108% avoidance, which means, theoretically (based on his experience as a sniper) that we really only have a 92% chance to hit unless we up our accuracy to 108%. Have you seen this be the case for sorcs at all? In running EV, i haven't ever seen a miss, but it doesn't mean that the phantom 8% isn't out there... just curious to know. Trying to help out myself and the other sorc in gearing up.

Thanks!

Avoidance is split into two categories: defense and resistance. Defense functions against melee and ranged attacks, and bosses are currently theorized to possess 8% defense (though it's not yet possible to state this solidly, as we lack an exportable combat log for statistical analysis). Resistance is an identical mechanic for force and tech attacks, except that bosses are currently theorized to have zero resistance (as above, can't actually state this completely without reservation, we can just say that we've never yet observed a miss). Sorcs are the only AC in the game that uses no melee or ranged attacks for DPS (also the only one that doesn't use our free basic attack).

This is further corroborated by the complete lack of even a single point of Accuracy on our tier gear. Every other DPS class in the game (including Operatives, who's damage is by an overwhelming majority Tech-based) have a full 10% from their tier gear. Even the tanks get a solid amount of Accuracy on their tier gear. Either Bioware just simply spaced the fact that Sorcs can DPS, or our tier design verifies our lack of need for Accuracy.

On a side note, with 8% miss chance, you would expect one in every 12-13 attacks to miss. That's a LOT of misses to simply have failed to notice one thus far.

Edited by Daellia

• 3 weeks later...

I'm wondering what else I can do to min max except get an augmented saber. I have a lot of mods to play around with. And I'm not sure what would be optimal for balancing crit/power, which is really the only decision I have left. Sitting at 324 surge, 220 or so alacrity, 302 crit rating, and 573 power. I'm currently using 6 willpower augments in my PVE gear, 1950 willpower, but I'm still wondering if switching a few to power or even crit would be better. Currently I stack aptitude and adept mods mostly, with one tier piece using the high crit values.

I could sacrifice some crit, to add even more power, or vice versa. Or am I at the perfect balance now? Decisions decisions...

I'm wondering what else I can do to min max except get an augmented saber. I have a lot of mods to play around with. And I'm not sure what would be optimal for balancing crit/power, which is really the only decision I have left. Sitting at 324 surge, 220 or so alacrity, 302 crit rating, and 573 power. I'm currently using 6 willpower augments in my PVE gear, 1950 willpower, but I'm still wondering if switching a few to power or even crit would be better. Currently I stack aptitude and adept mods mostly, with one tier piece using the high crit values.

I could sacrifice some crit, to add even more power, or vice versa. Or am I at the perfect balance now? Decisions decisions...

I like to keep this topic off of specific min-maxing, but your gear looks pretty solidly balanced.

On the augment side, I've yet to encounter a sane gear setup in which any other augment is better than the Willpower ones.

So from reading this thread let me try and compile a priority list for what to stack stat wise. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Willpower

Crit to 30%

Alacrity to 30%

power

In order of importance.

Correction:

Willpower

Crit Chance to 30-35% (depending on build)

Crit Multiplier to 70-75%

Power (max this when hitting limits on the above)

Alacrity to max. 10%

Edited by Morngwath

Correction:

Willpower

Alacrity to max. 10%

I'm not at my home computer, but doesn't the crit multiplier and crit chance both go off +crit stat on gear/mods?

I'm not at my home computer, but doesn't the crit multiplier and crit chance both go off +crit stat on gear/mods?

No. This information is in this thread's OP, actually. Crit Multiplier comes from Surge Rating. Crit Chance comes from Crit Rating and Willpower.

Correction:

Willpower

Alacrity to max. 10%

Would this order apply to both a dps Sorc and healing Sorc? My wife and I duo Sorcs, with her being heals and me dps. Right now, we've got mostly orange gear and had been doing the Aptitude (+Power) mods and the Quick Savant (Alacrity) Enhancements. She likes the alacrity to get heals off quicker, but should we both look at different Mods/Enhancements instead? If so, which ones?

And is there a Power limit we should look for before worrying about Alacrity? You said to max it, but haven't been able to find what a "max" for Power would be.

Edit:

Also, we just were able to get our first Rakata piece from the Daily tokens today. Is it intended that we would get ear pieces and implants with the same name? We noticed that the Force-Master Relay seemed designed for Sorcs (with the greater willpower of the two options) but that the Stalker (who's ear piece stats seemed geared towards Assassins) implants looked better at first glance for Sorcs than the Force-Master ones.

Edited by tahyri

Nice write up, I like it. But I have a question or two.

I am a 0/13/28 DPS Sorcerer (similar to your link but a few different points in Lightning), and upon reaching Battlemaster I've been racking my brain over which BM set to get; either the Force Master or Stalker set. So my first question is........

1) Which is better, Alacrity or Accuracy?

As a DPS hybrid Sorc my dmg is centered around getting things to insta cast, and the only ability I will be casting that isn't insta cast is Force Lightning (aside from the occasional Force Storm). As Alacrity isn't really helping much, it makes me wonder about Accuracy then. Accuracy over 100% says it reduces the targets resistence, but is it just restricted to force and tech? Expertise increases damage reduction from players, so Accuracy doesn't help undo that? I've got a bunch of BM commendations that I don't want to spend untill I am 100% sure of things.

And my other question is....

2) For trying to get the most DPS in PvP, 2x BM relics OR 1 BM relic and 1 Energy Surge Device?

Energy Surge Device you get from Karagga's Palace hard mode and it gives +77 End and has a 30% chance to proc 224 (I think) energy damage every 4.5 seconds. I know ppl that have this and they all say that when it procs from an AoE it's applied to all targets and the proc can also crit to all targets. So would taking ESD and losing 51 Expertise lower DPS or increase it in PvP?

And is there a Power limit we should look for before worrying about Alacrity? You said to max it, but haven't been able to find what a "max" for Power would be.

Power doesn't really have a maximum. When people say "max Power", they mean to maximize it while maintaining the specified limitations (ie. if someone says to "get 350 crit, then max power", it means to get as much power as you can whilst staying near 350 crit rating)

Edit:

Also, we just were able to get our first Rakata piece from the Daily tokens today. Is it intended that we would get ear pieces and implants with the same name? We noticed that the Force-Master Relay seemed designed for Sorcs (with the greater willpower of the two options) but that the Stalker (who's ear piece stats seemed geared towards Assassins) implants looked better at first glance for Sorcs than the Force-Master ones.

This is not abnormal, and wise sorcerers do not pick up head-to-toe Force Masters or Force Mystics blindly. The Stalker implants and bracers are better than either set at the Rakata level. The Rakata Stalker off-hand is also better than the Masters version. In addition, the boots and chest of the Master's set are quite a bit lower Willpower than the Mystics version, while the gloves, lower robe, and helm of the Masters set are quite a bit higher Willpower than the Mystics version. Generally recommended is to get 4 pieces of your normal set (Masters for DPS, Mystics for healers), with the 5th slot coming from the other set in one of that set's high-Willpower slots (for example, getting the Masters helm, skirt, or gloves, and the other 4 slots Mystic for a healer)

1) Which is better, Alacrity or Accuracy?

Accuracy does nothing for Sorcs. Alacrity, though it's one of our worst stats, is definitely better than Accuracy.

2) For trying to get the most DPS in PvP, 2x BM relics OR 1 BM relic and 1 Energy Surge Device?

Energy Surge Device you get from Karagga's Palace hard mode and it gives +77 End and has a 30% chance to proc 224 (I think) energy damage every 4.5 seconds. I know ppl that have this and they all say that when it procs from an AoE it's applied to all targets and the proc can also crit to all targets. So would taking ESD and losing 51 Expertise lower DPS or increase it in PvP?

I personally suggest either a BM power relic and the matrix cube or the BM Power relic and one of the damage proc relics from Karagga's. The damage proc relics are superior in overall dps to the Power relics, but it's fairly close. Both are slightly superior to the cube. However, BM power relics share cooldowns with each other, and all of the other triggered stat relics are noticeably inferior to both the proc relics and the matrix cube (also, on-use relics share a "use" cooldown of 30 seconds)

On the note of expertise, keep in mind that it has a diminishing returns curve as well. Once you get past ~500 (give or take 100 or so) expertise, stacking it stops being a priority. This is why you'll often see healers at the BM level with 3 BM Force Mystic and 2 Rakata/Columi Force Mystic, to get both set bonuses. Unlike Resilience back in WoW, more expertise is not always the right answer.

Edited by Daellia

Power doesn't really have a maximum. When people say "max Power", they mean to maximize it while maintaining the specified limitations (ie. if someone says to "get 350 crit, then max power", it means to get as much power as you can whilst staying near 350 crit rating)

This is not abnormal, and wise sorcerers do not pick up head-to-toe Force Masters or Force Mystics blindly. The Stalker implants and bracers are better than either set at the Rakata level. The Rakata Stalker off-hand is also better than the Masters version. In addition, the boots and chest of the Master's set are quite a bit lower Willpower than the Mystics version, while the gloves, lower robe, and helm of the Masters set are quite a bit higher Willpower than the Mystics version. Generally recommended is to get 4 pieces of your normal set (Masters for DPS, Mystics for healers), with the 5th slot coming from the other set in one of that set's high-Willpower slots (for example, getting the Masters helm, skirt, or gloves, and the other 4 slots Mystic for a healer)

Thanks for the info! We've been doing the mixed sets from the crafted items as we've leveled, but wanted to make sure before we spend 120 daily commendations!

As far as the healer/dps duo, should we both be looking at the same stat preference order?

As far as the healer/dps duo, should we both be looking at the same stat preference order?

More or less, yes. Healers like Alacrity slightly more than dps (though it's still a rather poor stat for them), and dps like Crit and Surge slightly more than healers (since dps don't care if dps is unpredictable, as lot as it's higher), but the stat priorities are still relatively equal between the two.

More or less, yes. Healers like Alacrity slightly more than dps (though it's still a rather poor stat for them), and dps like Crit and Surge slightly more than healers (since dps don't care if dps is unpredictable, as lot as it's higher), but the stat priorities are still relatively equal between the two.

Thanks again! I should have looked on these forums before we filled up on Aptitude and Quick Savant mods/enhancements from the dailies heh. Looks like we'll have to do another week's worth to get Mettle mods and which ever enhancement fits best.

Cool, thanks Daellia. My final question would have to be specifically about which PvP set to get, Force Master or Stalker. For PvE I've been choosing a mixture somewhat (I know Force Master is the DPS one but I really don't like the 4 piece bonus so if a Mystic or Stalker has more Willpower I've been going for it, probably not the best but I'm fine with it for now).

But back to PvP Master or Stalker. I looked at both stats for each set and added all the numbers up (everything is BM EXCEPT the weapon which I didn't include because there is only 1 anyway) and assuming I didn't make a mistake anywhere I got.....

***NOTE***........................ remember, no BM weapon included

Master............... Stalker

End: 949............ End: 961

Will: 892............ Will: 901

Crit: 461............ Crit: 397

Surge: 153......... Surge: 153

Power: 107......... Power: 151

Alac: 306........... Alac: 0

Acc: 0................ Acc: 306

So, Acc has 0 affect and Alac has almost 0 affect (since as a Sorc DPS hybrid only two abilities are ever getting a "cast time", or channel rather). Wouldn't going the Stalker set route not impart somewhat of a bigger advantage to you from having higher End/Will/Power while also giving the 4 piece bonus of one additional Recklesness charge and 15 second CD reduction? Because that additional Recklessness charge is pretty enticing as opposed to the Master's 2 piece bonus of Crushing Darkness 1.5 sec CD reduction and 0.5 % life tap.

Edited by Fireswraith

One other question, regarding the 30% crit goal, is that including the buff we'd get in an Ops group? Should we shoot for 25% out of our gear, or is it shooting for 30% in gear and then ending up with 35% in the Ops group?