Does the current gear/mod availability ruin the craft economy?

Vampyress

I am currently level 40 on my main and have not sold a single epic mod/armoring or material on the market despite putting up many items under the recommended price (mods for all levels not only higher players which are a minority). The problem I have witnessed is that with mods/armoring and upgrades being so freely available it almost makes crew skills redundant. Mods are hardly valuable as people can just remove them left right and center and buy continual upgrades from badges.

Epic and blue gear is in such abundance that I end up vendoring everything I have and materials just don't sell at all. This is the first game i've played where getting things is so easy to get that crafting is actually almost entirely redundant and feels like it was added as an after thought rather than a credit/game enhancing experience.

Have others felt the same or suffered the same experiences or do you find that this isn't the case?

I know I almost ever use my own mods and then listen to armormechs complain about how all their gear is useless due to cybetechs making equivalent gear. I think the real problem is like you said, too easy to get good gear, while leveling at least. Investing in low level purples does not seem worth it either with the speed that you out level them. End game might turn it around depending on how easy it is to out class the purple gear you craft. Honestly I dont care if crafting professions are only useful end game. Edited by Saldrex

It is funny reading posts like these, and then turning around and literally selling every single crafted (armormech prototype and artifact) item I put on the GTN within 2 hours.

So either I'm pricing stuff at a steal or this whole 'crafting is doomed' theory just doesn't exist on my server.

You may be right. Reduce the number of mods available to increase the reliance from crafters. I wish they would implement a system where u cant pull the original mods out of gear (must replace original). Right now iif I win a piece of armor/weapon, I may just extract mods.

Making original mods non-removable would improve the market as well as allow armor and weapon crafters to make moddable gear with mods in Place.

It is funny reading posts like these, and then turning around and literally selling every single crafted (armormech prototype and artifact) item I put on the GTN within 2 hours.

So either I'm pricing stuff at a steal or this whole 'crafting is doomed' theory just doesn't exist on my server.

This has been my experience. Any purple crafting material or purp/orange equipment sells almost immediately on my server. I even poach other auctioneers that put things up for a steal, then re-sell them for a huge proffit. I turned 800 creds into 8000 creds in 2 hours by doing just that. Wish i could play the market like that in real life! Crafters are fine just the way they are.

The mods you get from the commendations, from what I have seen, are not as good as the equivalent mods the crafters can make. The stats are shifted.

For example:

Blue Patron Barrel from Skill Commendation Vendor:

Patron Barrel 10

+14 End

+11 Cunning

Skill Barrel 10 (Crafted)

+10 End

+15 Cunning

Cunning is the DPS stat, and those shifted points will add up over all the mods you use.

The mods you get from the commendations, from what I have seen, are not as good as the equivalent mods the crafters can make. The stats are shifted.

For example:

Patron Barrel 10

+14 End

+11 Cunning

+10 End

+15 Cunning

Cunning is the DPS stat, and those shifted points will add up over all the mods you use.

I have seen both patron and skill barrels on vendors. The vendors I want to say have a better selection than the crafters at the moment or initially. I think the ones from the non standard 4 are either late game trainable or obtained through RE at any level but hard to get similar to the other types armormechs are able to RE for.

For example:

Patron Barrel 10

+14 End

+11 Cunning

+10 End

+15 Cunning

Id love to put the effort in to test this theory, however will not. There is a commendation vendor on every planet, the same can not be said for GTN kiosks., besides what am i supposed to do with these 67 tatooine commendations if not spend them on mods?

See the problem?

I think the only people buying epics are the ones who dont understand how Orange gear + mods work in this game.

The thing that annoys me as a Cybertech is the fact Commendation mods are just as good as what we make, AND that they are BoE which means that. Hey, you have some extra commendations? Buy up a bunch of mods and screw every Cybertech on the server by selling them at a price that is unbeatable.

They need to make Comm Mods BoP and under leveled for the planet.

People need to stop judging the crafting usefulness before the community is full of 50s. The entire game will change when that happens. Supply and demand will be ENTIRELY different.

I think you are missing the point.. how are you supposed to get those trades to 50 if you cant afford it, if you cant sell the items you make you cant level them to 50, there is no way around that.

its the reason why most serious crafters have taken up the plan of slicing to 400, make a few million creds then power level their real crew skill.

I think you are missing the point.. how are you supposed to get those trades to 50 if you cant afford it, if you cant sell the items you make you cant level them to 50, there is no way around that.

its the reason why most serious crafters have taken up the plan of slicing to 400, make a few million creds then power level their real crew skill.

I am hard pressed to think of a game in which crafting has ever been profitable while leveling and not a sink. Resource gathering is not the same as crafting and has been profitable in pretty much all games as they sell to those who craft. I kinda want to say that rather, most "serious crafters" hold off on professions until they have the disposable income to sink into it which most of the time ends up being at max level. Most crafting systems in other games have no returns until end game and are giant sinks until then. I do not really see it being very different than other games but maybe people want that to change.

Was just gonna make a thread about this to.. .

No one wants my synthweaving stuff.. no one wants to pay for a rare that they can get the cash for in 30 min of questing or an epic quality in 2 hours...

its a money sink and only has a level 50 purpose it seems

people don't want to shell out the cash for +3 str and +2 endurance and 7 crit

fail fail fail.. as i figured another useless crafting system.

I am hard pressed to think of a game in which crafting has ever been profitable while leveling and not a sink. Resource gathering is not the same as crafting and has been profitable in pretty much all games as they sell to those who craft. I kinda want to say that rather, most "serious crafters" hold off on professions until they have the disposable income to sink into it which most of the time ends up being at max level. Most crafting systems in other games have no returns until end game and are giant sinks until then. I do not really see it being very different than other games but maybe people want that to change.

Heres the thing, in other games you can usually level crafting knowing you wont make a dime until max level, but you wouldnt lose any money either if you were willing to spend the hours running around and clicking nodes. in this game however You cannot do that, you ahve to spend thousands of credits just to level up crafting, there are no other MMOs ive played where it costs this much money just to progress the trade.

The simple act of removing blue and purple materials from the crafting nodes have made crafting crew skills painfully expensive. combined with the act of throwing a mod and gear commendation vendor on EVERY planet, cmon its like they dont want you to craft at all.

A system that caters to end game crafting ONLY is the old tired way of doing things, it completely sucks and it completely negates crafters as a whole in and of itself. Look im not asking for some kind of final fantasy 14 sandbox where i become a vendor myself, but i do want to be able to make gear at all levels that people actually give a damn about.

What the heck is the point of a crafting system where we all know it sucks until end game, why have recipes for levels 1 to 49 when nobody wants anything until 50? Wouldnt it just make more sense to have no recipies at all until 50, i mean since we are only crafting for end game anyway right.

The old system has always been completely stupid, bioware gave the impression that crew skills would be something people would want to do because it would offer items that would be worth while. This used to be true until a few builds ago, and now its back to the same old nonsense, the same old lines get tossed around, well, its ok, at 50 crafting si worth it, just dump a few million bucks into it and cross your fingers.

Seems like a great plan.

Y'know, you can always use the gear you craft for yourself. When more people hit 50, and start making more cash, they will mlevel alts and will want them maxed out along the way, so they'll turn into bigspender for low level crafted stuff.

Heres the thing, in other games you can usually level crafting knowing you wont make a dime until max level, but you wouldnt lose any money either if you were willing to spend the hours running around and clicking nodes. in this game however You cannot do that, you ahve to spend thousands of credits just to level up crafting, there are no other MMOs ive played where it costs this much money just to progress the trade.

You need to spend the same amount as any other game to raise your crafting profession. The only cost for leveling it is the price of the training of the new recipes which is the same as quite a few others. In no way do you need blue or purple mats to raise it to max level. There are still greens you can craft. If you were forced into needing the mats to raise the profession I would agree that it is much more annoying. I know I lost plenty of money just through the training of recipes in other games.

A system that caters to end game crafting ONLY is the old tired way of doing things, it completely sucks and it completely negates crafters as a whole in and of itself. Look im not asking for some kind of final fantasy 14 sandbox where i become a vendor myself, but i do want to be able to make gear at all levels that people actually give a damn about.

Sadly I feel people have to not give a damn about the gear or leveling would be too taxing on people who did not take the profs as well as new people who are forced to get items from crafters in order to level. The only incentive to me should be wanting gear above par which this game already does. And sadly it seems not many want to be above par.

There really is no good balance for crafted gear at low levels without making it unnecessary to level.

Edited by Saldrex

You may be right. Reduce the number of mods available to increase the reliance from crafters. .

yes. hamper gameplay of people so that they will have to oblige with your preferred gameplay.

people may not be wanting to spend their cash to satiate the players who are wanting to be crafting.

ever thought of that ?

how about they implement the wow system that forces you to regularly go on 20 man raids in order to craft anything that can sell for noticeable cash instead ? huh ?

Id love to put the effort in to test this theory, however will not. There is a commendation vendor on every planet, the same can not be said for GTN kiosks., besides what am i supposed to do with these 67 tatooine commendations if not spend them on mods?

See the problem?

I think the only people buying epics are the ones who dont understand how Orange gear + mods work in this game.

Just to be clear here, that Skill Barrel 10 that I listed is the blue barrel, not the purple one.

And you can always buy augment boxes for 25 commendations, or buy new orange gear pieces with them.

Here is the thing that frustrates me about Cybertech (I have 380 skill currently) is that I can't find any defensive mod schematics. The trainer sells offensive mods ONLY. NPCs drop defensive mods in armor and they are given as quest rewards.

Also, why do all the mod names change around level 33? There was a Guardian mod prior to that but it disapeared at that time. Either let us make all the mods that NPCs are giving out and dropping (In Orange armor) or scrap the skill. Because at this point I am POd that I raised this skill to be able to make an Armor slot I coulda bought with commendations and inferior mods...

The thing that annoys me as a Cybertech is the fact Commendation mods are just as good as what we make, AND that they are BoE which means that. Hey, you have some extra commendations? Buy up a bunch of mods and screw every Cybertech on the server by selling them at a price that is unbeatable.

They need to make Comm Mods BoP and under leveled for the planet.

Commendations are bound as soon as you trade for them, you can't sell them to other players

I understand that. Why would a player buy from the GTN when they can just go get what they need from quest rewards and the commendation vendor?

It's annoying that I can't even make mods for all of my orange gear because the stats SUCK for tanking...