Malckiah

Vote for what you want most for future content...Pick up to 5  

15,252 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for what you want most for future content...Pick up to 5

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair - ERIC posted in here yesterday...that's why the votes increased. Yellow=exposure.

i was replying to "I didnt realise there were so many posters on the forums. ", if they don't come to forums his posting would have nothing to do with them showing up.

short version, news spread to people who don't frequent the forums.:rak_01:

I agree with you entirely! General Discussion and this forums can certainly be a great representation of the playerbase at large, and its opinions. I don't want you to get the idea that I was saying otherwise. My reasoning is specifically tied to polls. Again, not that polls are bad, just that in many cases players can misunderstand poll results as "undeniable proof" of a point. It is when you can put a tangible number behind an opinion that things get a bit tricky and that is where the "in a vacuum" comment comes in. (like the Warzone type example I made)

-eric

Mr. Musco,

Will we ever see a return to official polls, e.g. like the one on facebook? (Though I'd prefer a mandatory poll in the gamelauncher or even an ingame pop-up)?

That'll give you a better, higher throught-put answer from the active playing community, not just the forum dwellers.

Think of it this way... in my previous example 300 people voted for the winning selection. I will spare you the math, but if hundreds of thousands of people play SWTOR, 300 is a fraction of a percent. We can't sway entire decisions based on just that poll. However, people look to polls to justify decisions and unfortunately things just aren't that simple.

Actually the issue is not sample size. 300 people is actually pretty close to the necessary sample size for a 500K population with a 5% margin of error. http://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm for a handy dandy calculator. The issue is representative population. When a proper survey is done relevant demographic information is used to map the sample to the population being meaured. Taking a ridiculous extreme, surveying 300 people at random asking Which character class in SWTOR is currently OP, with a true random sample would likely yield a 99% response of "what the **** is SWTOR", because a majority off the world population doesn't play SWTOR. By definition any poll in the forums is not hitting the general demographic of SWTOR as a majority of players don't read the forums. (I of course base this on the anecdotal evidence of the players that I know who play SWTOR and the frequency which they read the forums. which is not a statistically valid mechanism :) ) The forum readers will tend to be the more "hard core" users.

Now if you want to qualify and say that x% of the SWTOR players who visit the forums believe .... then a 300 person sample size of self selected participants would be sufficient.

To be fair - ERIC posted in here yesterday...that's why the votes increased. Yellow=exposure.

Actually, I'm here because of my good buddy Methos up there. He posted the link on our Guild site & I followed it here.

Actually, I'm here because of my good buddy Methos up there. He posted the link on our Guild site & I followed it here.

Very cool. I posted it my guild website as well.

But with my crew.... unless there is free beer or free food, they don't venture out much. :D

Actually the issue is not sample size. 300 people is actually pretty close to the necessary sample size for a 500K population with a 5% margin of error. http://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm for a handy dandy calculator. The issue is representative population. .

- polling only subscribers gets you misleading results.

- sorry but people who still pay are irrelevant for new content, because they are here for content which is already in the game. Otherwise they had unsubbed long ago

- The only relevant information is in the unsubscribers thread and the suggestion box Q1+Q2 2012 before/during the exodus

- Therefore the poll is only useful if they want to see what current subscribers prefer

- for everything else, it's completely useless

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

If you ever wanted a good poll option

Have it pop up on your launcher when you log in

That way everyone playing votes

True. This one's unofficial though. Eric Musco, being the wise and benevolent CM that he is, allowed it to remain.

Edited by Joesixxpack

- polling subscribers only gets you misleading results.

- sorry but people who still pay are irrelevant for new content, because they are here for content which is already in the game. Otherwise they had unsubbed long ago

- The only relevant information is in the unsubscribers thread and the suggestion box Q1+Q2 2012 before/during the exodus

- Therefore the poll is only useful if they want to see what current subscribers prefer

Wrong on all counts save one. With the game in maintenance retention is paramount. That is why:

-subs are relevant and drive new content.

-unsub info while relevant has nothing to do with a poll geared toward current subs.

-the poll is useful if they want to see what current subs prefer. *ding*

-this poll is a data point and not useless.

You are just disappointed in the results of the poll. Had this polled added weight to your assertion that this game should be more like SWG you would find it very relevant.

Edited by Rafaman

Yup, totally a good idea to ignore what your current playerbase wants. Instead you should chase the people who left because they don't like your game. Change it to fit them, that makes sense.

You keep throwing this opinion around as though saying it enough times will cause it to suddenly make sense. It doesn't. It's more important, and easier, to keep your current customers than to chase down new/old ones. Don't SWG players always bemoan what SOE did to try and entice non-players to join? Something about NGE trying to attract a new market and alienating their current fans?

Don't SWG players always bemoan what SOE did to try and entice non-players to join? Something about NGE trying to attract a new market and alienating their current fans?

From the way people are talking about it now, I was under the impression it was faultless ambrosia, given blessedly onto them by divine intervention, and cruelly snatched from their hands, leaving them wanting and cold.

If you ever wanted a good poll option

Have it pop up on your launcher when you log in

That way everyone playing votes

That's funny, I was literally seconds away from posting the same thought.

Make it a non-optional, 1 time only poll when people log in, and you will get a true survey result. Or as true a result as you're likely to find... many will likely just click answers at random just to get through it... such as gold farmers who can't even be bothered to create names for their spamming toons.

Ravenhurst... I quit the game and came back. I came back because I heard of the expansion and the upcoming space pvp, which is something I asked for a lot back before I left. If they want to keep me from leaving again, they'll listen to subscribers like me.

Or do you think that free-to-play players DON'T want PvE space content, mini-games such as card games and swoop racing, more class story, character customization, pvp maps and pve gameplay content? Because that's what I as a subscriber want. What do you think they would want that is different than what I would want?

Yup, totally a good idea to ignore what your current playerbase wants. Instead you should chase the people who left because they don't like your game. Change it to fit them, that makes sense.

You keep throwing this opinion around as though saying it enough times will cause it to suddenly make sense. It doesn't. It's more important, and easier, to keep your current customers than to chase down new/old ones. Don't SWG players always bemoan what SOE did to try and entice non-players to join? Something about NGE trying to attract a new market and alienating their current fans?

Fine. Fine then. So let's hope the devs totally take this poll seriously.

It is oh so obvious that, in fact, NOT ENOUGH CLASS STORY led to the epic merge from 220 to 17 servers and F2P.

Yes, more class story. I suggest hereby BW takes another 3 years to create 8 x class stories, further 10 Gigs of voiceovers, worth 2 months of gameplay. Epic win. You convinced me.

You are just disappointed in the results of the poll. Had this polled added weight to your assertion that this game should be more like SWG you would find it very relevant.

The poll simply does not reflect the results of external polls on public MMO sites. Nothing to be disappointed about.

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

It is oh so obvious that, in fact, NOT ENOUGH CLASS STORY led to the epic merge from 220 to 17 servers and F2P.

Yes, more class story. I suggest hereby BW takes another 3 years to create 8 x class stories, further 10 Gigs of voiceovers, worth 2 months of gameplay. Epic win. You convinced me.

Yay ☆*・゜゚・*\(^O^)/*・゜゚・*☆

From the way people are talking about it now, I was under the impression it was faultless ambrosia, given blessedly onto them by divine intervention, and cruelly snatched from their hands, leaving them wanting and cold.

George Lucas must be Zeus... well, he does have the beard for it. :p

The drama is always heavy when folks see information that does not match up to their desires.

This is not new information. Casual players have wanted appearance options, more adaptive gear designs, alternative single player gameplay elements, QoL changes, planets, more companions, housing, free flight space combat, minigames, combined comms and animal mounts for quite some time now. To pretend otherwise is baffling....anyone who has spent any time here and around the net knows this.

Sure, the traditional hardcore players that left the game when it finally came to it's senses and discarded the draconian shackles of the original design intent don't likely want any of these changes....and if the game is to survive and thrive those would be the LAST players this game would want to court again. They were a toxic influence that almost doomed this game to failure IMO.

We have some of the items casuals have wanted since beta....others are coming soon, others still are perhaps in the works, and some on the wall of crazy.

But considering the top of the list....space combat, appearance, QoL have been or are being brought into the game, class story extensions would be the next in line. Along with added planets and minigames.

It's just next up on the list.

Edited by LordArtemis

The poll simply does not reflect the results of external polls on public MMO sites. Nothing to be disappointed about.

I think u want to misunderstand what ppl are trying to say to u. They are saying that your previous statement, about the unimportance of subs, makes no sense. Not that this poll should be BW law. And I agree, why do u think the majority of the playerbase quit 6-8 months into the game?

I think a poll like this actually can shed some light on things but not if u can choose half the options available as what u want in the game. Like someone else already said, many ppl would like new class story to be in top 5 but not many would like it as their nr:1.

Now what I want the most aint even on that poll. Not directly. An expansion where all the funds for the next expansion went into bugfixes, fixing already broken content and improving quality in general would be just epic. If that were to happen I wouldnt need any new content. I think many ppl that quit the game actually quit because of bad quality, not a lack of content alone. I was away from the game for 2 years and I just came back without knowing what had happened in the last 2 years. I love SW universe that much. What I found is that not very much really happened whiole I was away. Just more half done content. Just more of the same reason I left in the first place

Edited by Beeteel