Sorc as bad as they say? better go assassin?

OrzusPL

Hello.

I see only the old posts about sorc and still see only the "bad bad bad ...", "remove the character better" ... etc

I wanted to ask you what it looks like at this point in 1.6?

I do not want to be a healer. I know that, if it is to be dps so it is paper and the tank comes up to me - I'm dying.

So it is better to play a assassin? Is a sorc dps can expect an interesting game in pvp?

DPS sorc isn't as strong as some of the other classes. They do do good damage with Madness (dots but no real burst pressure) or they can have decent utility with lightning (root on knockback and bubble stun) but they mostly shine as healers. In a game with such a quick TTK (time to kill) it's frustrating at times to be a healer. Especially an undergeared one.

I believe that Healing Sorcs are "Tier 1" at the moment, Dps Sorcs are not. Play what you want though since I feel balancing changes are going to be coming with the new xpac and nobody can predict those.

Don't let people scare you away from playing a class because of complaints. I've cleared every raid in hard mode with both my DPS Sorc and Sage. I spec Madness. It is more mobile than Lightning and it is also viable in unranked warzones. I do really well in warzones as well. You will get killed no matter what class you play until you get some decent gear for PvP.

Leveling a Madness Sorcerer at the moment, level 25. Never played end game or pvp with him. My main is a Sentinel and I have a Vanguard 50 as well.

I have to say that Sorcerer leveling till now has been very fun for me! I really enjoy the class.

Not sure if it is because i am more experienced or not, but I level up much easier and smooth than what I did with my Sentinel. Edit: at least until now...

Edited by Fadomas

A classes ability to level does not make it more or less viable end game. I've solo'ed a couple flashpoints at proper level with a Sorc simply due to my tank companion and my ability to heal.

Regardless, as pointed out ANY class can do alright in this game. I assumed you were asking from a min-max perspective. In which case, dps sorcs are not optimal. (on that note I do play a dps sorc for unranked warzones and I have plenty of fun doing it)

I'm not having any trouble with my Sorc either - he's 47 ATM and looking at the final class quest. I think I'll get one more level before I tackle that, as experience has shown that the class quests are a bit harder than the normal ones.

FWIW - I stay under leveled by 3-4 levels - except for class quests, there I go to 2 levels. Anything less is just too easy. I don't PvP so I can't comment on that.

As for spec, I guess you'd call him a hybrid with more points in the Madness tree so far. I'll rework it when I have all my points, but this is working really well so far for me.

Edit - I'll also chime in with the "play what you want to play" comments here. It's your game, your character, and your money (if you sub) so play what you like.

Edited by Akiviri

Hello.

I see only the old posts about sorc and still see only the "bad bad bad ...", "remove the character better" ... etc

I wanted to ask you what it looks like at this point in 1.6?

I do not want to be a healer. I know that, if it is to be dps so it is paper and the tank comes up to me - I'm dying.

So it is better to play a assassin? Is a sorc dps can expect an interesting game in pvp?

You want to roll assassin. Trust me.

Don't mistake ease of levelling to mean anything when it comes to endgame.

For pvp- you are one of the poorest DPS classes for multiple reasons- if you're a good player, you'll still be able to beat others, but it'll be harder, and you'll go down much faster under fire due to poor mitigation.

For operations- you should be fine. Sorcs are still lower even there- they generally do 10% less than other classes- but it's not so big a deal for pve. Healing on the other hand is fine- you aren't being interrupted in an operation, and sorcs have easy to maintain healing when you aren't worried about dying.

If you want to be a pvp dps that can kill people 1v1 though- ya, better to go assassin.

I have a VR 100 Sorcerer I have played since the game originally came out. Although there has been a lot of changes to the class I am not complaining. If you are good with CC and keeping people off you then I say play a sorcerer all the way. I warn you though a PvP dps sorc probably has one of the highest skill caps in the game. To be pro and not die instantly in pvp that is. Played right it can be a blast.

Honestly though I would recommend playing a sage over a Sorc. My sage gets focus fired MUCH less. The problem with a sorc in a wz is all the lightning. It is very easy in a war zone to follow a bright trail of lightning to the sorc and kill him. The rocks a sage throws? It is not very visually pleasing no. Howver on certain maps they can almost be invisible. Half the time melee never find me to focus me. On my Sorcerer theybalways do lol

Edited by Zergnaut

I have a VR 100 Sorcerer I have played since the game originally came out. Although there has been a lot of changes to the class I am not complaining. If you are good with CC and keeping people off you then I say play a sorcerer all the way. I warn you though a PvP dps sorc probably has one of the highest skill caps in the game. To be pro and not die instantly in pvp that is. Played right it can be a blast.

Honestly though I would recommend playing a sage over a Sorc. My sage gets focus fired MUCH less. The problem with a sorc in a wz is all the lightning. It is very easy in a war zone to follow a bright trail of lightning to the sorc and kill him. The rocks a sage throws? It is not very visually pleasing no. Howver on certain maps they can almost be invisible. Half the time melee never find me to focus me. On my Sorcerer theybalways do lol

Nothing better then kiting around someone and getting a solo kill as you watch your dots go to work lol It is intesely satisfying and you know the other person is disgusted.

I play a 40 sorc healer and it's passable in pve. Not very functional since flashpoint groups are almost non existent and people mostly don't bother with heroics. But in pvp it's a disaster. It can't kill anything and any class can kill it easily, and it takes so much dmg that 95% of the healing I do is trying to keep myself alive. The heals are so meager and cast times are so long compared to dmg that they are virtually useless. The Dots are mostly insignificant, especially since the quick cast is very low dmg that takes 15 seconds which is an eternity in pvp and the 6 second one takes almost half as long to cast. It's a ridiculously useless class in the 1-49 bracket pvp bracket. I intend to finish the story and try it at 50 but already plan to play another class.