Tanking stats

cisme

I'm posting this to both the tanking and vanguard section as tanking seems to not get enough traffic and trooper won't have enough tanks.

I would like some criticism regarding my stats

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/0f2130cd-4fd7-4727-8f58-b99432bdfe83

Short version fully buffed:

Health: 23101

Damage reduction: 53.78%

Defense chance: 21.79

Shield chance: 60.58

Shield absorption: 61.31

That seems like normal stats for a vanguard but my issue is how random my stats are

I have:

2061 endurance

551 defense rating

835 shield rating

393 absorb rating

So I'm currently torn between having consistent stat percentages and having consistent numbers. To me it looks like I'm pretty far into the shield curve meaning I am not getting as much for each point as I would for other stats so I was wondering if I should be moving them into another area.

Based on your ratings, you're including heat screen in the expression of absorbtion %. As such, you should probably put more points into absorb. While you will be pushing the absorb % significantly higher than shield chance, this is natural because you want to balance the effects of diminishing returns across all three defensive stats.

Based on your ratings, you're including heat screen in the expression of absorbtion %. As such, you should probably put more points into absorb. While you will be pushing the absorb % significantly higher than shield chance, this is natural because you want to balance the effects of diminishing returns across all three defensive stats.

Exactly, both balancing the amount of points in each stat and balancing the percentage in each stat is the wrong way to go - what matters is which how far into diminishing returns each stat is.

In your case, my quick re-augmenting of your gear (all 9 shield swapped for 6 absorb and 3 defense) maintains the same shield efficency (37.14% of the damage that gets trough your defense gets shielded with your build, compared to 37.25% for mine), but your defense is 0.98% higher. Your stats would be 22.77% defense, 56.62% shield, 57.76% absorb (65.76% with heat screen).

Exactly, both balancing the amount of points in each stat and balancing the percentage in each stat is the wrong way to go - what matters is which how far into diminishing returns each stat is.

In your case, my quick re-augmenting of your gear (all 9 shield swapped for 6 absorb and 3 defense) maintains the same shield efficency (37.14% of the damage that gets trough your defense gets shielded with your build, compared to 37.25% for mine), but your defense is 0.98% higher. Your stats would be 22.77% defense, 56.62% shield, 57.76% absorb (65.76% with heat screen).

Thanks a lot for the advice I think I'll do this when I get home

You stated that you have 37.25% do you have an AMR I could see or are those numbers thanks to Dread gear?

Thanks a lot for the advice I think I'll do this when I get home

You stated that you have 37.25% do you have an AMR I could see or are those numbers thanks to Dread gear?

Nah, you misunderstood - 37.25% is the shield efficiency (aka shield chance multiplied with absorb to find out how much of the damage you would have taken gets absorbed by the shield), not the actual shield, absorb or defense value.

To each their own, but vanguards get diminishing returns on Shield/absorb +50% and defense 15%.

As shown here, you can easily raise all of those stats significantly higher, which will reduce the damage you take and make it easier for the healer. The only alternative is stacking more hp, which is never going to help more than more mitigation.

More HP is only going to be useful if the 24-25k HP you get when mitigation stacking isn't enough to save you, and that only happens if the healers are extremely over worked - and if they're that overworked, they need that extra mitigation to reduce their workload more then ever.

Edited by steave

Nah, you misunderstood - 37.25% is the shield efficiency (aka shield chance multiplied with absorb to find out how much of the damage you would have taken gets absorbed by the shield), not the actual shield, absorb or defense value.

I realize that but I was asking if you had those stats plus my, or higher, defense chance

Edited by cisme

I realize that but I was asking if you had those stats plus my, or higher, defense chance

Ah right

My current stats look like this, so they're slightly lower by default, but I'm running with a proc absorb relic instead of static bonus relic atm, so my absorb goes up quite a bit roughly 25% of the time. Not sure if that's actually the best choice TBH, but considering how many fights require tank swaps now, I figured that at least some of the cooldown time between procs would be spent not tanking (or tanking something you can't shield) anyway.