Feedback request from James Ohlen - Open World PvP

StephenReid

What type of Open World PvP objectives would you most like to see?  

2,196 members have voted

1. 1. What type of Open World PvP objectives would you most like to see?

• 'Raw' Open World
    • PvPvE balanced
    • Faction population capped
    • Guild based (non-faction specific)

I understand this poll is long since closed and I'm not sure if this is falling on deaf ears or not now but I'd like to say that you guys struck PURE PVP GOLD in the open world sense relative to the other meager PvP of the same variety I've yet seen in SWTOR. The bull's eye was struck with the 'Plague Event' on Tatooine of late and I thoroughly enjoyed every second of it I could. Even hung up my WZ daily / commendation / gear grinding hat for it's duration.

It was an absolute blast and furthermore I experienced NONE of the lag / FPS problems of Ilum for whatever reason that I'm sure you guys are aware of. PLEASE keep events like this rolling out on a regular basis and as frequently as quality control permits if you would and I'll gladly keep my monthly $15 rolling out to you as well.

April's 'Rakhgoul Plague Event' was the most fun I've had in this game thus far, surpassing FP's, WZ's, and Ilum by far (haven't spent enough time doing OP's to say for sure but I'd speculate that you can put them in this list as well). Excellent job guys and Thank You. For what my sole opinion is worth I say take this concept and build, expound, go nuts with it and I think it's a real good shot that PvP (at least of the open world variety) opinions of SWTOR could make a miraculous positive turn. Incidentally I feel that 8 vs. 8 in all your WZ's presents too small of a sample to really properly judge class balance as relates to the team mechanics. The chance for 5 of one class and a smattering of a couple others just breeds animosity toward this or that class, at least in a personal anecdotally experienced way.

Get two warbands of 30+ battling over a world boss though and the experience changes. Stealthers can scout and mount guerilla tactics. Tanks can barrel in and incite havoc on advancing forces. Casters can manage the meta battle and effect the battlefield to steer, AoE and divide forces. It's just a game changer in my opinion besides bum rushing a door or cap point or ball carrier. Just my opinion but I hope I'm in a majority with it and we see a lot more reasons for large scale open battles frequently and soon in the future! :)

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James my boy, you just don't seem to get it do you.

The only form of open world PvP that I and probably 99% of the thousands of people that have left this game was open world PvP, this game has none so many people left. Open world PvP is when you randomly bump into the enemy faction on a planet and have a fight, no instances, no balance just pure chance meetings.

One of the main reasons wow was so popular was because it was totally sandbox in Azeroth for world pvp, you could pretty much attack anything, this allowed people to form huge raids to take down enemy leaders in capital cities. It also caused huge wars to be fought in places like Hillsbrad, these were the best gaming days of my life.

In SWTOR you have totally ruined any form of world PvP by separating the factions so much with huge barriers, some of them invisible and giving base guards 200K HP and making them Elite champions. James you have made it clear that you do not condone world PvP in this game by your teams actions in designing the planets. In response the fans have made it clear they will go and play GW2 or go back to WOW and take their money with them. I will be joining them when my sub expires.

If you want to save your game:

• Take down the barriers that separate factions
  • Lower the base guards HP
  • Make quests to attack enemy bases
  • Remove fleet from the game and put players on the planets
  • Remove teleporting to flashpoints, make them ride to them on planets
  • Make some 40 v 40 Warzones like Alterac Valley
  • 8 v 8 is embarasing for a 2012 MMO, GW2 supports 500

Oh and stop listening to the whiners that say they will be ganked, just do what Blizzard and trion do, tell them to roll PvE!

I would like to see massive battles on a scale one server just can't have at any given time. I really like the PvP community of my server, but quite frankly I think we need cross server world PvP to get the numbers I want. 8v8 just doesn't do it for me, and I don't want to show up to the world PvP to find out it's empty but for a few players.

Even if you don't give us the final world PvP product you and we want, please give us something. Since the removal of Ilum I don't even duel people anymore (I don't understand why there is no dueling or a dueling area on the fleet).

James my boy, you just don't seem to get it do you.

The only form of open world PvP that I and probably 99% of the thousands of people that have left this game was open world PvP, this game has none so many people left. Open world PvP is when you randomly bump into the enemy faction on a planet and have a fight, no instances, no balance just pure chance meetings.

One of the main reasons wow was so popular was because it was totally sandbox in Azeroth for world pvp, you could pretty much attack anything, this allowed people to form huge raids to take down enemy leaders in capital cities. It also caused huge wars to be fought in places like Hillsbrad, these were the best gaming days of my life.

In SWTOR you have totally ruined any form of world PvP by separating the factions so much with huge barriers, some of them invisible and giving base guards 200K HP and making them Elite champions. James you have made it clear that you do not condone world PvP in this game by your teams actions in designing the planets. In response the fans have made it clear they will go and play GW2 or go back to WOW and take their money with them. I will be joining them when my sub expires.

If you want to save your game:

• Take down the barriers that separate factions
  • Lower the base guards HP
  • Make quests to attack enemy bases
  • Remove fleet from the game and put players on the planets
  • Remove teleporting to flashpoints, make them ride to them on planets
  • Make some 40 v 40 Warzones like Alterac Valley
  • 8 v 8 is embarasing for a 2012 MMO, GW2 supports 500

Oh and stop listening to the whiners that say they will be ganked, just do what Blizzard and trion do, tell them to roll PvE!

i agree and i too will be unsubbing and heading to GW2. since the 1.2 changes and the death of ilum, there is no fun pvp in the game. you dont live long enough to have fun.

Guild World PVP.

Ive spent a good time PVPing in the Outlaw den. And i thought it would be a good idea if there were little strongholds like that on other worlds aswell. Maybe if you hold the outlaw den of some sort you could get a little valor boost (5%) or something small and beneficial to everyone in the guild. That in turn gives your guild a reason to hold it; and reason for other guilds to attack it. There is already a GTN, mailbox, and cargo bays there. Seems like its already set up for a guild to move in and take it by force. No need for NPCs, maybe a few scouts to alert the whole guild there is an attack, but called an outlaw den for a reason.

By putting in multiple Strongholds other guilds wouldn't be upset about an overpowering guild hoarding all the bonus'. Maybe the largest stronghold would be the hardest to defend, which would leave some of the smaller guilds easier to defend strongholds. As those guilds get stronger they can start probing and making attacks on the larger strongholds. I know on my server there are already some guild rivalries. If we cant be rated in skill let us have some pride in where we decide to hang our hats. I think this promotes healthy rivalries and allows the players to just pvp without constraints.

I know guild ships and banks and tabards all sound like a great direction for guilds in the future. But if i want to be an outlaw pillaging and looting as i see fit with my band of misfits. I should be allowed to, and the Republic can do their hardest to stop me.

We need things to fight over that have actual value. Bases, spaceports. The issue with Ilum, among other things, was that controlling the zone didn't feel that important. This is especially true now that Valor means very little. There's a war going on and we need to feel as though our battles have some purpose. Edited by AlyxDinas

I've always been a fan of the idea of PvPvE, so I still like that idea. However, I have been playing the beta for Guild Wars' WvWvW and I am blown away.

Star Wars has such a better combat system, and is more fun to PvP in, but the WvW is brilliant, novel, genius.... If you can implement something like that into star wars, hell even if you rip it off entirely, you'll have my subscribtion until all servers are closed down for good - and that is a promise.

James Ohlen... Please get your entire dev team to buy a subscription to World of Trashcraft. Get them to all team up and play Alterac Valley. Then get them to insert this into Ilum, with NPCs (and companions), objectives and make it reset every few hours.

Instant WoW slayer of an MMO.

I would really like to see open world pvp similar to what ultima online had. There were groups whose whole goal was to go out and PK people and then there were groups whose goal was to combat these pkers. It gave the game a ton of excitement. Also give dungeons that anyone can walk into not this zone in stuff and only your group is in there but make it to where anyone can walk in and you see them and pk them. Give people a goal in real world pvp to achieve. Thats the only way youll get people to open world pvp.

I would really also love to see opposing factions being able to go to the other sides fleet.

Edited by oompadouche

My vote would go to PvPvE as well. Perhaps have a faction of terrorists as an NPC faction that primarily attacks the winning side? This would be a fair way to even things out, a better way than adding more turrets or giving a buff to the side that's outnumbered.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

the world pvp has to have a meaningful purpuse, rewards etc, and we dont want the old ilum where objective trading was happening and fighting was not encouraged, If its just a place like outlaws den , its not gonna work out obviously.

example: i spent a large amout hours in outlaws den now since 1.5 since alot of people go there for the hk part.

and really noone attacked me, unless i attacked first, alot of people didnt even fight back, and some sent whispers with alot of curse words because i attacked them, and this on europes biggest pvp server tomb of freedon nadd.

I'd just like to point out that there are some of us that enjoy playing on the less populated faction.

I like to do guerilla warfare in PvP zones. In World of Warcraft Cataclysm I spent most of my time griefing the horde in Tol Barad and the Molten Front daily zone. Once the numbers started to turn against the odds, I'd leave before they'd have a chance of payback. Doubly frustrating for the opponent, doubly satisfying for me!

Look to WoW for inspiration. I personally would love to see a daily questing zone where both factions are sent to the same dailies (preferably different dailies per day, very much like tol barad) and then have an objective in the middle of the zone that gives the dominant faction a small boost to whatever (look at The Burning Crusade for inspiriation here, like Halaa in Nagrand). Credits, materials, specific commendations, who knows. Just don't make something major like increased damage or such, it shouldn't make the dominant faction stronger.

Raw open pvp with daily objectives but can be done only with 4 man groups not an ops. I think if the objectives are spread apart it will allow people to have small skirmishes instead of the large ops we once had in Ilum. Ilum was a great idea but unfortunately the lag was unbearable.

Ilum can still suffice for this. Just kill the animation coming from npcs and make daily objectives throughout the whole map with 4 man groups.

Pvpve is great in case the success in objectives are server rewards because once one side starts to lose, they will not come out to fight as the problem with other games.

Guild vs guild would be great as a warzone type instead of open pvp simply because only large guilds will benefit.

Edited by Nataph
better description