Asia Pacific Servers, something need to be done

Cheezfriend

Hello Bioware

Firstly us Asia Pacific players are extremely grateful for our servers. I know there are other regions in the world that would love their own servers and we were lucky enough to get ours.

The issue of the Asia Pacific Servers has been raised twice recently

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=523626

and

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=526148

I am sure there are more threads however I can not find them.

There has been no response from Bioware on Asia Pacific players concerns.

The polpulation on Master Dar'Nala the PvP server is really bad at the moment and from what I read the PVE and RP server is just as bad. Surely there is some sort of financial loss to bioware for maintaining dead servers.

I dont want to reroll due to amount of time I have invested in my server and I'm sure many other players would second this. I dont know what the solution is to improve the populations of the Asia Pacific servers but atleast some sort of recognition from Bioware would be great.

A couple of recent game launches have seen the server popultions drop to an all time low. I think making Asia Pacific Players wait until F2P launches to address the issue is not the best idea. Yes I know content is far more important than our current server status however the game hasnt really changed much since April.

If push came to shove I would be happy to merge into one Asia Pacific Super Server but I know this would probably upset some people.

TL : DR - The Asia Pacific server populations are critically low and Bioware needs to acknowledge this and let us know what their plans are.

Dalborra population is usually 150+ on the fleet imp side and often more on the republic side, depending on exactly what time you look. You also have to account for people jumping to operations, for example I landed on the fleet saturday afternoon and there were 179 people. A split second later there were 152. Obviously the more people there are online there more people there are doing things and leaving, hence two people can see two signficantly different population counts at any given period of the day.

Republic Black Hole is usually more populated than Imperial, though last night it had 20ish just after reset.

This is just knee-jerk reaction. Wait for F2P and then see if population will increase or not. F2P is fairly popular in AP region. For all we know, population may explode.

Rather than merge and then create new servers later, better to wait for results of F2P. Once the results stabalise, it is not too late to decide to merge or stay as it is.

This is just knee-jerk reaction. Wait for F2P and then see if population will increase or not. F2P is fairly popular in AP region. For all we know, population may explode.

Rather than merge and then create new servers later, better to wait for results of F2P. Once the results stabalise, it is not too late to decide to merge or stay as it is.

http://www.torstatus.net/master-darnala/history/7d#!/master-darnala/history/30d

Please, tell me how this is a knee jerk reaction. Guild Wars 2 you say? Population has been barely anything but light the last 30 days. When did GW2 come out? Like, a week ago?

The server was only good between opening and Diablo III. Ever since then the population has had a massive decline.

Edited by scullzomben

http://www.torstatus.net/master-darnala/history/7d#!/master-darnala/history/30d

Please, tell me how this is a knee jerk reaction. Guild Wars 2 you say? Population has been barely anything but light the last 30 days. When did GW2 come out? Like, a week ago?

The server was only good between opening and Diablo III. Ever since then the population has had a massive decline.

Lol yeah. The old familiar, "wait and see." I heard that line:

-after 1.2 (a horde of people left due to nerfing of certain classes/imbalanced PvP/pulling of rated at last minute)

-after D3 launched (a horde of people left to play, some came back, but not all)

-after 1.3 (a horde of people left after no new content and fail of rated PvP)

-after GW2 (a horde of people lieft, and we'll see how many come back)

Of these 4 events, GW2 by far has resulted in the most dramatic amount of people leaving. Before, it was individual goodbyes and farewells. With GW2, people didn't even bother saying bye as it was entire guilds leaving together as a group.

The scary thing is, even in-game, people are asking "which GW2 server did your guild transfer to?" as people are looking for the exits.

I will say this about our APAC servers - the sense of community was amazing. GW2 so far has not even come close in feeling like a commuity (sort of like Diablo 3, feels almost like a single player game ATM, kind of like when you're playing a FPS online). Part of this is because the game is so fast-paced, with so many dynamic events popping up everywhere. There's no 1 single path to take, so it's hard to keep groups together on a single quest line. That certainly has some upsides, but does leave you feeling a bit lonely and emptyt at the end :)

Edited by iheartnyc

-after 1.2 (a horde of people left due to nerfing of certain classes/imbalanced PvP/pulling of rated at last minute)

-after D3 launched (a horde of people left to play, some came back, but not all)

-after 1.3 (a horde of people left after no new content and fail of rated PvP)

-after GW2 (a horde of people lieft, and we'll see how many come back)

As always he sums it up perfectly.... My old old guild <Tempest> disolved due to Diablo 3. My next guild <Onset> pretty much died and went to GW2.

Come on Bioware don't ignore this thread!

They're probably going to sit on open transfers until the coin system is launched. It's sad because I truely hate my current server/faction. If it hadnt been for the millions it would cost me to send my toon on the other faction all my wh/bh mods I could have atleast done that.....but no because they implemented a system that only restricts players. I can't even try out different specs on the dummy for God sake without eventually having to pay 24K'ish to reset it.

Their idea of giving people incentive to play isnt to provide new and challenging content, it's to make the most basic crap as complicated and restricting as possible so that a thing that could have taken 10 secs to finish instead takes days of grinding.

I've been on timecards up until this month but made the mistake of subscribing an extra month through a card payment but that's it. No more! The worst thing is that I'm not even going to move on to a new game, that's how bad it is. This game simply killed itself.

Edited by MidichIorian

Hi, my downunder friends! I'm Paige, the girl with the numbers (LINK to numbers).

TL;DR = Dalborra and Gav Daragon are okay. Master Dar'Nala has experienced a precipitous population decline.

I saw this thread, and I thought I'd look at the change in APAC numbers since I've been monitoring post transfers.

I compared the estimated populations on the APAC servers on 6/27/2012 and 9/4/2012 and then compared that to *average* server size among all the destination servers. So if server X had 1,000 people on average on 6/27 and it had 900 people on average on 9/4 then it's listed as 90% of it's original numbers, which would be a 10% loss in popualation. Here is a LINK to the math (look on the APAC analysis tab).

Server % orig numbers from 6/27

Dalborra 92%

SWTOR Average PvE 91%

Gav Daragon 101%

SWTOR Average RP-PvE 111%

Master Dar'Nala 58%

SWTOR Average PvP 73%

Overall SWTOR grand average 90%

So what I'm seeing here is that Dalborra is doing okay. It's about 92% of it's original numbers (or about an 8% loss in population). That's about standard for what's going on in the game in general.

Gav Daragon has grown a teeny bit (it's 101% of it's original numbers, or a 1% gain). This is less than the average RP-PvE server which has grown about 11% in the last couple of months.

Master Dar'Nala has gotten whacked. It's 58% of it's original numbers, which is a loss of 42% of it's population. PvP servers in general have shrunk about 27%... but Master Dar'Nala is really hurting. In fact, it's the *only* destination server since the start of post-transfer monitoring that has had a phi = 1. That's critical because I can't really estimate the pop of a server with a phi equal to or less than 1.

HEre's what the PvP servers look like...

PvP Server Area % orig

Darth Nihilus EUR French 92%

Jar'Kai Sword EUR German 86%

The Bastion US West 77%

The Fatman US East 70%

Prophecy of the Five US East 67%

Tomb of Freedon Nadd EUR English 62%

Master Dar'Nala APAC 58%

So... I think when we're talking about "something must be done" for APAC servers... Gav Daragon and Dalborra are doing about as well as can be expected. The more fruitful discussion is "what is going on with Master Dar'Nala?"

Paige

Edited by Scorpienne

Yeah i was opposed to merging pvp servers with pve previously. But I suppose with the way bioware ignores world pvp, it doesn't really matter. I mean, if your a world pvp fan, you have already left or close to unsubbing or unsubbed with a few days of forum privilege like me. :D

Yeah i was opposed to merging pvp servers with pve previously. But I suppose with the way bioware ignores world pvp, it doesn't really matter. I mean, if your a world pvp fan, you have already left or close to unsubbing or unsubbed with a few days of forum privilege like me. :D

I'm not quite sure if it would be possible, but why not give each zone two phases by defualt? One where it is an automatic PvP flag, and one where it is not.

You're welcome! I prefer talking solid numbers. There's a certain element of "the sky is falling" that is better off with a little quantitative analysis.

Paige

Paige. Thanks so much for those numbers!!! It really does put the Asia Pacific problems into perspecitive. I just hope Bioware takes note of the effort you have gone to and the concerns from Asia Pacific players, especially on Master Dar'Nala.

Brilliant post Paige. Thank you for such detailed information.

I find the question of why PvP server populations have shrunk SO severely over the last period (in Master and the whole game) very interesting. But also, why are RP servers rising in population? Is it a reflection of the state of the game, or the players who are still here (i.e. competitive PvPers have left but the players who love the Star Wars concept have stayed on, if not grown in number).

The long and the short of it though is that Master needs something done asap. As someone from that server, I'd personally be quite happy to be merged with the Asia Pacific PvE server. I only PvP, but I need a population to play against!