SWTOR needs better writers

ruffolofi

The quality of writing has dropped to an all time low with this newest expansion. I can't be the only one who has noticed this. Even with KOTET and KOTFE the quality of writing was solid, even if the content and the gameplay in particular were more controversial.

My main issue with Onslaught is how impersonal the story now feels and how it ignores the games own established lore and past events. We haven't heard almost anything about the Alliance or efforts to rebuild the Eternal Fleet by using Iokath's resources. There hasn't been a word of Zakuul. When the Emperor/Empress asks the Commander to rejoin the Empire he/she only mentions Odessen and not the other worlds like Iokath which still belongs to the Eternal Commander/Emperor.

Dark Council members used to be feared and respected universally. Now we see a Dark Council member bowing to a fool of a king and another personally meeting the alien rebel slavelord of Mek-Sha. When Malgus speaks he sounds like a caricature of himself - at first I actually thought that was intentional but there's a lot of dialogue like that - very cliche. The new Imperial companion, Anri, is another disappointment. She is too much like Lt Pierce so why not just bring him back instead of creating a new character that is so similar as to be nearly identical to a previous companion?

In KOTFE/KOTET every character goes through the exactly same story. And yet from time to time there were references to your characters past and that was great. With Onslaught, despite there now being two separate storylines again, I feel like the story is the most impersonal it has ever been. From the start of the game the story has been about our character (be it Wrath or Nox or Barsenthor or the Hand of Jadus) and the choices we make. With Onslaught I don't even know whose story this is supposed to be. Who is our enemy or is this really just another generic war between the Republic and the Empire? I know its most unlikely that the class stories ever return but at least give us something - even small missions like the one's in Shadow of Revan.

Overall I feel like SWTOR just needs better vision and writers. It's one of my favorite games, I loved the vanilla class stories, Rise of the Hutt Cartell and Shadow of Revan. Loved KOTET and KOTFE, despite them not being perfect. Onslaught however was a massive disappointment to me, from story perspective especially and I'm not a fan of the new gearing system, loot, etc. But that's something I have seen plenty of complaints about already so...

The quality of writing has dropped to an all time low with this newest expansion. I can't be the only one who has noticed this. Even with KOTET and KOTFE the quality of writing was solid, even if the content and the gameplay in particular were more controversial

Is that irony? The Zakuul nonsense is written by a 5 year old kid.

I agree Onslaught story is not the greatest content, but the story being too short and the lack of the original class storylines is not the writers' responsability, it's a matter of a low investment from the company. In any case, the new expansion is the first step forward in the story since the original game (it was hard to be worse than Zakuul).

Edited by LordVitalus

The quality of writing has dropped to an all time low with this newest expansion. I can't be the only one who has noticed this. Even with KOTET and KOTFE the quality of writing was solid, even if the content and the gameplay in particular were more controversial.

Debatable.

My main issue with Onslaught is how impersonal the story now feels and how it ignores the games own established lore and past events. We haven't heard almost anything about the Alliance or efforts to rebuild the Eternal Fleet by using Iokath's resources. There hasn't been a word of Zakuul. When the Emperor/Empress asks the Commander to rejoin the Empire he/she only mentions Odessen and not the other worlds like Iokath which still belongs to the Eternal Commander/Emperor.

No, it doesn't. We already had Hearts and Minds when Dantooine came out and we still have Alliance updates here and there, just because we're not rebuilding the Eternal Fleet doesn't mean we're not doing anything. You assume that is even possible, which so far if it was possible I believe we would've seen it. There actually has, you can mention how the exchange has been expanding on the galaxy including Zakuul. Yes because Odessen is your main base, Iokath is already shared.

Dark Council members used to be feared and respected universally. Now we see a Dark Council member bowing to a fool of a king and another personally meeting the alien rebel slavelord of Mek-Sha. When Malgus speaks he sounds like a caricature of himself - at first I actually thought that was intentional but there's a lot of dialogue like that - very cliche. The new Imperial companion, Anri, is another disappointment. She is too much like Lt Pierce so why not just bring him back instead of creating a new character that is so similar as to be nearly identical to a previous companion?

Savik is her own Sith, and there are explanations as to why she avoids fighting. In that case it is actually beneficial to the Empire as Petryph is a complete idiot who just needs to be manipulated. Darth Shaar has a reason for going to meet with Huttbreaker, it is part of the plan. Malgus' dialogue is fine for me. Not really? She has the background of being an alien and a former slave at that, Pierce was a native from Ziost after all, and that comes up with her. Their personalities are only similar in regards to their loyalty to the Sith Empire but it ends there.

In KOTFE/KOTET every character goes through the exactly same story. And yet from time to time there were references to your characters past and that was great. With Onslaught, despite there now being two separate storylines again, I feel like the story is the most impersonal it has ever been. From the start of the game the story has been about our character (be it Wrath or Nox or Barsenthor or the Hand of Jadus) and the choices we make. With Onslaught I don't even know whose story this is supposed to be. Who is our enemy or is this really just another generic war between the Republic and the Empire? I know its most unlikely that the class stories ever return but at least give us something - even small missions like the one's in Shadow of Revan.

There are still plenty of references and even some dialogue options locked for certain classes. The story is still very personal, its all about you and what you can do. Without you your respective faction would be doomed. And it still is, Onslaught has some pretty great choices and it is still narrative-driven. Who is our enemy? Your enemy faction, you're fighting against them for control of the galaxy. The class stories will never return, they just don't have the budget for that though we could hope for a one-time mission like Shadow of Revan if the game does well enough.

Overall I feel like SWTOR just needs better vision and writers. It's one of my favorite games, I loved the vanilla class stories, Rise of the Hutt Cartell and Shadow of Revan. Loved KOTET and KOTFE, despite them not being perfect. Onslaught however was a massive disappointment to me, from story perspective especially and I'm not a fan of the new gearing system, loot, etc. But that's something I have seen plenty of complaints about already so...

Its vision is fine, its writers are fine. And I speak as someone who has also loved KOTFE and KOTET. Onslaught is a pretty good expansion, and most of your points are quite frankly nitpicks. The new gearing system is actually decent, it still needs some fine-tuning but its still pretty good.

If I recall don't you get an email regarding Zakuul that they are basically backing out of intergalactic politics because of how in bad of a shape they are after the war?

Outright told in one of the clips, I think.

But, you get a feel for that decline all the way back to the final chapters of KoTFE, just accelerates the further the Zakuul storylines go.

If I recall don't you get an email regarding Zakuul that they are basically backing out of intergalactic politics because of how in bad of a shape they are after the war?

Yes after Nathema conspiracy Consul Axul, I think is the guy's name and title, send you an mail talking about Zakuul's provisional government choosing to secede from the Eternal Alliance.

- i'm ok with the story so far , dunno if anyone can do anything better

- i want more choices from the next expansion's story

- please don't make the player character ruler of a faction like in Eternal Throne , you're basically killing off that faction's identity

Zakuul left the Alliance. Which is why we don't really hear about them. Lana mentions, that the alliance is rebuilding to become a significant force again.

The Dark Council members play their roles for the greater goal. Manipulating a fool king is easier, than taking over the planet by force.

The number of storylines are still 4. Even though 2-2 of them are similar. I think it's still better, than the KOTFE, and KOTET where all characters go through exactly the same stuff.

My greatest question is more like about the Alliance in general. The whole charade made to defeat Zakuul, but that's no longer required. So what's the Alliance's purpose now? What keeps them together? With the Eternal fleet gone. You can no longer challenge the Empire/Republic either.

My greatest question is more like about the Alliance in general. The whole charade made to defeat Zakuul, but that's no longer required. So what's the Alliance's purpose now? What keeps them together? With the Eternal fleet gone. You can no longer challenge the Empire/Republic either.

What keeps them together ? Well your character.

They're not stronger than the Empire/Republic anymore, but still strong enough that both sides wanted to ally themselves with the Alliance.

As for the purpose, that's pretty much what you want it to be if you decide you want to keep it and not go back to your old faction.

In my case, that's a place for people from both the Republic and Empire who are tired of their old faction and wanted to try something new to see if it could work better but had no interest in joining the opposing faction. Well more precisely as my Alliance sided with the Republic it's more of a place for former imperials who don't want to stay with the Empire but don't want to join the Republic either.

The goal is to try to bring peace also by showing that coabitation could be possible if both side decided to be more open minded.

But well, that's just my take on this and someone else could have different goals for their own Alliance.

I think the writing of Onslaught is fine. Sure it was no masterpiece, but it certainly wasn't bad either. From what I see of the rest of your post, all you point out are nitpicks that don't necessarily make the story bad or your lack of attention to the more nuanced parts of the story.

We haven't heard almost anything about the Alliance or efforts to rebuild the Eternal Fleet by using Iokath's resources. There hasn't been a word of Zakuul. When the Emperor/Empress asks the Commander to rejoin the Empire he/she only mentions Odessen and not the other worlds like Iokath which still belongs to the Eternal Commander/Emperor.

Like I said before, this is just a nitpick. Why would they be focusing the new expansion's story on the technicalities of who has what planet? Also, it seems to me that Iokath is shared like it was at the end of that storyline anyway so that is answered. The Zakuul part is just straight-up not true, you do hear from them. The Consul says they want to focus on rebuilding their society and for that reason, will be stepping out of galactic affairs.

Actually, the change in the Dark Council's behavior is one of the best things in the story IMHO. Why? Because it makes sense. How would Acina be able to achieve total control over the Empire and reform it from within if she still had the former dark council and all the powerplays that came with it? It is obvious that she restructured them into more domestic roles to help her rule...instead of ruling for her (which was exactly what the former dark council did for the Emperor). I also think that change was done very well. They don't tell you that it changed, instead, they show you. And you can see that throughout the expansion with how disposable they became and realize they are, which helps Acina be secure that there won't be any powerplays to take her throne. An actual plothole would be allowing the dark council to retain all its power and have her rule unchallenged.

I didn't see any problem with Malgus' dialogue.

And Major Anri and Major Pierce's similarities end on their loyalty for the Empire. They have completely different backgrounds which shaped them to become different people and I would say they have very different personalities too.

This is still somewhat in the expansion, admittedly less than before tho. Examples of these are some different lines only certain classes get to say. The specific companion that comes back for Jedi Consulars and especially the fact that only a Sith inquisitor can kill Anathel, your replacement in the council which gets a pretty cool scene too.

Edited by JJKerryee

Actually, the change in the Dark Council's behavior is one of the best things in the story IMHO. Why? Because it makes sense. How would Acina be able to achieve total control over the Empire and reform it from within if she still had the former dark council and all the powerplays that came with it? It is obvious that she restructured them into more domestic roles to help her rule...instead of ruling for her (which was exactly what the former dark council did for the Emperor). I also think that change was done very well. They don't tell you that it changed, instead, they show you. And you can see that throughout the expansion with how disposable they became and realize they are, which helps Acina be secure that there won't be any powerplays to take her throne. An actual plothole would be allowing the dark council to retain all its power and have her rule unchallenged

So why did she brought such an dangerous individual as the outlander in the fold. Unlike the dark council the outlander is an individual with an power base and incredible amount of respect from the empire troops. Is she not afraid of an possible coup from the outlander who unlike the dark council is not as disposable. Unlike the council member who where easily kept in check by the empire's wrath that wrath can not keep in check the outlander.

So why did she brought such an dangerous individual as the outlander in the fold. Unlike the dark council the outlander is an individual with an power base and incredible amount of respect from the empire troops. Is she not afraid of an possible coup from the outlander who unlike the dark council is not as disposable. Unlike the council member who where easily kept in check by the empire's wrath that wrath can not keep in check the outlander.

Well, because she can't just ignore the existence of the Outlander. The Outlander exists and is one of the most powerful and influential people in the galaxy. So she has 2 options...she either allies with them, which puts her in an advantageous position since she can have the Alliance's support and can also more easily stab them in the back (if she thinks they're going to betray her) or she can make them her enemy and have someone incredibly powerful trying to dethrone her. So why would Acina antagonize the Outlander and the Alliance when she can be their ally?

Wait, what? Where are those 4 storylines? I think I've missed 2 of them.

What they probably meant was the saboteur route. So technically with Onslaught, there are 4 storylines: Republic Loyalist, Imperial Loyalist, Republic Saboteur and Imperial Saboteur.

Edited by JJKerryee

What they probably meant was the saboteur route. So technically with Onslaught, there are 4 storylines: Republic Loyalist, Imperial Loyalist, Republic Saboteur and Imperial Saboteur.

We've reached the moment in which every choice is going to count as a different storyline?

I think this is a step forward, but still far away from the original 8 class stories. They've probably laid the groundwork for a third one (neutral). Hope they have budget to do at least that.

Well, because she can't just ignore the existence of the Outlander. The Outlander exists and is one of the most powerful and influential people in the galaxy. So she has 2 options...she either allies with them, which puts her in an advantageous position since she can have the Alliance's support and can also more easily stab them in the back (if she thinks they're going to betray her) or she can make them her enemy and have someone incredibly powerful trying to dethrone her. So why would Acina antagonize the Outlander and the Alliance when she can be their ally?

Yeah. If Empress would turn against Outlander, Alliance alone might be enough to make coup successful and ensure enough loyalty to new ruler for mostly bloodless coup.

Or it might become civil war, with lot of Imperials defecting to Outlander's side. Even those who previously left Alliance or did not join Alliance in first place might now bow to Outlander, since their loyalty to Empire might have been only reason why they did not accept Outlander as their leader.

On top of that, successfully dethroning Empress might generate new supporters for him, as power is greatly respected in the Empire.

On top of that, any inviduals alone would not be able to resist Outlander. Outlander may not be able to fight against all the people of the Empire, especially if they get Republic support, but sure is capable of tracking down and facing anyone in a fight and defeat them.

And coup against Outlander is practically impossible or at the very least it would take a really long time. Especially if Outlander has plenty of support.

Altough ofc time is very abstract in this game so that may not be an issue.

Empress does not really have much choice but to stay on good terms with Outlander. Only if Outlander chooses not to care about Empress would she have any chance of openly opposing Outlander. She is nowhere near as powerful as Vitiate/Valkorion.

Altough war against both Empire and Republic would surely be terrible for Outlander, perhaps too much. And if there would be civil war in the Empire, that is what might happen. So if Outlander is Imperial loyalist, Outlander might really want to avoid civil war. So there could be a stalemate where both are powerful enough that they don't want to fight each other at least until Republic is destroyed. Only Outlander that does not care as much about Empire might want that, but that kind of Outlander might well have a lot less support inside the Empire so any fight against Empress would be that much harder. And in civil war, Outlander loyalists who are also Imperial loyalists could turn against Outlander.

Best for both to stay as allies for the moment, and try to gather as much support in the Empire as possible.

Edited by TheRomanRuler

• 2 weeks later...

the onslaught storyline has nothing to do with class story contents which are totally boring in the first place its rather lack of using all the companions we got in future storyline contents.

Example You get Ashara back but you do not use her to advance the storyline of where she stands in the whole saga.

I would have given ashara return a storyline in itself to expand on why she's return and what her place will be within your alliance or the imperial aligned siding with a back ground to where she's been.

Also I would expand upon the Alliance commander and Lana like they are getting older new foes are challenging for position along with ambition companion who die along the way give away to newer campaigns to recruit replacements.

I would also kill off the Alliance commander reigns through four methods one he succumbs to old age, two he and Lana get married and leave the war behind or three alliance commander has a child and he ascend the command to his child similar to how life is 4th Alliance commander is beaten in a fight to where he dies in battle with enemy or enemies who challenges for the throne and or he is banished to the out rim vanishes In the pages of history like the emperor.

During this transition new discoveries, war spring up and evil arises to test the survivors in that of loyal companions and or Lana becomes the new alliance commander when he dies etc.

The new enemies can arise from within or through combination of republic and imperials combining to form their own alliance command to rival the alliance example the republic and imperial join forces to take down the alliance commander forces then turn on each other after the defeat of the alliance.

I would also redesign the class characters in order to reflect the story line in age and abilities example as you age you gain insight into how you can use your force abilities and redefine them like merge of force lightning to be able to combine it with force storm so it more powerful in delivery and called blitzing storm where the lightning hits your from the front then changes to come from the sky all in the one attack given improved over time to enhance your knowledge of the force.

If your operative you obtain a new healing method where you can heal group of 8 people close to you but also heal a individual friendly that's 45 metres away with drone like robot at the same time call botmedic

Or Tank character who can project shadow shield over friendly and themselves against attack while that shield send out a blast force to knock down the attacking enemy forces create damage to three enemies or prevent the enemy moving for a set period or reflecting the enemy force abilities towards the enemies that are supporting him etc. called quakeblaster.