Codex on Nok Drayen contains spoilers for end of chapter 1 (no spoilers within)

Rykko

In what can only be described as an incredibly sloppy piece of work by designer, developer and beta tester alike, a codex entry on Nok Drayen that spoils the ending of chapter 1 appears before you get to play it for yourself.

Even if I've saved you from this disastrous blunder in a story driven game and you don't read it, the mere timing of its appearance is a spoiler for anyone who can put two and two together.

This really is poor QA on BW's part and I can only assume either the people who played smuggler during long-term testing were incredibly stupid or were ignored by a Sith obsessed writing team.

• 3 weeks later...
I just got there myself. It was one of the first Codex entries I read, because I was legitimately curious about the mysterious Nok Draynen, and the whole ending of the quest was laid out. It was really disappointing.

I noticed this as well but I already knew because of another spoiler that happened to me in beta.

Whatever you do, if you don't want any spoilers about the smuggler storyline, DO NOT play a sith warrior.

When you get your first companion Vette even before like level 10, Vette will tell you who Risha really is in a conversation about her past, which completely blew any surprise for the chapter 1 ending for me.

I heard it when I was trying out sith war in beta and wanted to shoot somebody.

• 1 month later...
Seriously disappointing! After all that work, I didn't see it coming, but by the time he fell out I was like "Yes yes, I know who you are, a magic window told me so"

The codex even goes on to spoil what I imagine is the rest of Act I

I had the same annoyance at that point - I habitually read codex entries when they pop up. I wasn't expecting the codex to spoil the next couple of plot twists!

• 3 months later...
I was just coming to post about this. This is very poorly done. I was getting very suspicious about what all was going on, the quest name "Frozen Demon" and then quest objective to "Deliver the Frozen Man" and then this Codex entry pops up and basically ruins the whole end of the story... I think I've seen another Codex entry pop up like that. This REALLY should have been given AFTER the conclusion of this quest or something. This should have never been done.

Yeah, still annoyed by this 2 days after the fact. Should not have been spoiled in game from a game selling story.

Agreed. I'm still pretty annoyed about it too, and I did that at least a couple weeks ago.

Admittedly it was pretty obvious who was on ice when I started the conversation with Risha that spanws the codex entry. It just seemed to make sense. Risha being his daughter was the next obvious conclusion.

Giving out that info in the codex entry was pretty weak, but shouldn't be too much of a surprise after spawning the mission. But spoiling the ending of act one regarding

the nature of the overhyped treasure and plans for Risha

was just inexcusable from a story telling perspective. The smuggler has some of the best VO work in the game, and in general is just a damn entertaining character which makes this oversight even more glaring and sad.

Easily one of the biggest story let-downs in this game (although so far, Act 2 is pretty lackluster for the smuggler, so that might end up trumping the codex spoiler, jury is still out since I haven't gotten very far into act 2 yet.

They should move the Nok Drayen codex entry so that you don't receive it until finish the act. Or rewrite it so it doesn't spoil the rest of the Act that follows receiving it.

At least then you learn his plans from him, and not some game mechanic.

Edited by MayorOfAngrytown

Lol, I remember this vividly. Saw the codex popup, "Oh, nifty!" *Read it* "...I probably wasn't supposed to know that yet."

Getting the codex entry moved until AFTER Act 1 is done would be nice. <_<

Regarding Act 2, it's definitely the weakest spot in the Smuggler arc, BUT it does end up being important (just unfortunately, you don't find that out while you're doing it, which makes playing through it feel a lot less compelling/like it lacks direction).

Edited by Halkyon

• 7 months later...
I have to reply on this old thread, i just got seriously mad when i got the damn entry, i mean, are you insane? One year and you didnt fix this? Its not like its hard, make it appear AFTER we know! I mean, this is seriously bad....

• 1 month later...

Literally just had this happen to me last night, I read codex entires once in a blue moon but this one was of genuine interest as it's so closely tied to the story and bam, there he is.

I mean I kind of worked out SOMETHING was up since they said earlier this guy was some kind of genius playing all the crime lords for fools and suddenly vanishes, no-one knows what happened... but still... the moment of the defrosting or whatever it is, would have been awesome if I wasn't mashing space bar going "yeah yeah I know who this is"

Yeah. I completed Act 1 a few months ago then re-rolled my char b/c I got tired of the race I was playing at the time, and I get annoyed every time I talk to Risha and see that damn block of carbonite. I expected the ending she started talking about the return to Nar Shadda but I didn't expect my codex to lay out damn near all of when remained in Act 1. They might as well have described the birthmark Skavak has in his no-no zone while they were at it.

Two damn months later and it still irks me.

It's now 8.3.2013 and nothing has changed. Why, oh why do they spoil the whole end of chapter 1. "Risha will just take one item..."; I guess it isn't the one making her the heir to the planet that the entry talked about (haven't gone to the ship yet, I'm just ranting). Perkele! Edited by Sabretiger

• 2 weeks later...

Oh you must be joking!!!

:d_evil:

How could this happen in an AAA game? Just now I also got my story spoiled by this Codex entry! How can this happen in such an expensive game? And you want to tell me that after more than one year after a player pointed that out you were not able to fix this? If you'd work in my company, you'd be fired at once! I thought you are professionals! Game that is developed by famous Bioware and published by almighty EA!

Shame on you, SHAME ON YOU!