Punish PPL leaving WZ - FAIL idea.

TheRFC

There's been a lot of chatter of punishing people in the SWTOR community who quit/ leave WZs prematurely.

"He who spareth the rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him correcteth him betimes"

- (Proverbs 13:24)

... appears to be most peoples' mentality who advocate punitive measures such as 30 minute bans from entering WZs after leaving early.

Why I think this would be an awful idea;

1 - Glitches in WZs

- Earlier I was playing and died. I return to the spawn area (Voidstar) and I'm unlucky enough to have the full-circle to wait to go down. When it finishes, it reset instantly and I wasn't able to get out of the spawn - I'd be then subject to a 30min ban through no fault of my own. This happens regularly.

- I'm often kicked from the game randomly, despite having a strong connection to the server and lag very rarely (well relatively, compared to what many have said).

- Many casual/ hardcore players may have other commitments and WZ Wins STILL count very few times. This puts a time-restriction on how long you have to play - why finish a game that is definitely lost (5-0 down in Huttball, team is getting farmed) when your next win may not count, anyways?

Brozen WZs

- IMO, Voidstar and Alderaan have broken spawn issues which means that for VS most games end on the first doors because the spawn is too fast - the other bases get taken in a couple of mins tops by comparison. In Alderaan the game is decided 99% of the time by who manages to secure the side-turrets because a handful can hold off a whole team w/ healers due to the insta-spawn from the side speeders.

----> Why stay when half your team is defending your sole turret for Defender Medals? Waste of time.

- Following up from last point, there are no OFFESIVE medals for attacking objectives. If you are losing it is more rewarding to NOT play the objective, especially in Alderaan.

AFKing

- I'd much rather somebody leave and have the opportunity to have someone take their place than people just not leaving and AFKing instead. That's a guarenteed man down and I've been in matches where 2-3 have been AFKing. If we punish people for leaving then there will be far more AFKers than ever before and it will turn into a complete joke.

LOTS of Casuals

- Being a SW title, this game attracts a lot of non-MMO players and we have a lot of casuals, hence the amount of threads about gear, etc. Some really aren't used to that element being novices at MMORPGs on the PvP-side of things. Fortunately/ Unfortunately, for a title like this they will make up a staggering proportion of the game's subscribers. If they're punished they're more likely to pull their subs and the rest of the gamers suffer from sparse patches/ content updates.

- If you're a hardcore gamer, Casuals are a necessary evil that you/ we have to live with until we can turn them to the 'dark-side' and let the throes of gaming addiction devour them :D

There's not MUCH to do post L50

- For a PvP heavy player, there really isn't much to do once you hit L50 aside from grind Valor and gear. I appreciate the game is still in its infancy, but that's the truth. Many people love to play their L50 char but start to punish people for leaving games and that bracket is going to take a massive hit leaving WZs very infrequent, and it will destroy the L50 bracket on lower-pop servers.

People need to CHILL

- Currently, whilst it may be frustrating, there is no PROs of winning over that of losing. Neither count for anything aside from Dailies currently (and don't most of the time even then). I'm not a particular COD fan, not having played since the 2nd day of BO, but one thing the series did right to attract people was to include very detailed stats - especially from Treyarch - applying it to WZs these may say what your overall DPS is or Healing per Second. It may say who scored in Huttball or applied the most damage to the enemy ball carrier. It doesn't do this, so you may be on the winning team and have just tried to go for medals and ignored the objective entirely, effectively being carrier but still have the highest DPS in the game (not saying you can't have W/ playing the objective, though).

This game is still in its infancy, it has a long way to go on the PvP side before being polished and many issues to address. If we start punishing people now then we won't get to see those changes implemented at all because they need the muneyz ;) they lose subs and they can't do these things.

From a practical perspective, it'll never happen anyways. BW has some pretty tough challenges coming soon in the form of games like GW2 and WoW pandas (LOL...). They can't afford to make adjustments that may jeapardize their market-share when they've already made quite a hefty loss from poor sales (or so I keep hearing - that may be a hearsay FAIL).

EDIT: Suggestions have been posted in a new thread called 'Reward to PLAY, not to STAY'.

Edited by TheRFC

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Warzone PvP is suppsoed to be a team sport not a >ME< sport.

If you can't play with others and want to quit, then quit but be prepared for some form of consequence when you screw everyone on your team over.

AFKers and DCs are a seperate issue fromt he main complaint that most here have.

We simply hate scrubs who rage quit at the first sign of a loss.

OP: Your list looks like an excuse for quitters.

Sorry, there's NO excuse.

When you queue, you agree to participate for 15 minutes with 15 other players. That's really not so much to ask for.

And if you quit like that every time in RL when you were losing NO ONE in real life would ever play games with you EVER.

Why is the expectation so lousy on-line?

No.

Deserter debuff worked perfectly in all other wow clones.

People only understand threats.

TOR isn't like other 'wow clones', though. Because of the SWs label it'll attract many casual players who aren't usually attracted by MMOs. Punish them, the game effectively dies when they pull their subs.

If we were dealing w/ a 'normal' MMO then yeah, why not? People know what to expect. But 'geek' is the new 'cool' for many ... but dungeons/ dragons is still very much on the extreme of the spectrum for many 'gamers'.

Anything with a brand-name like SW has to be handled with 'kid-gloves' effectively.

Uh you rather have people leave so someone more useful will enter and help?

I rather not enter a game on a the losing end cause some guy rage quit.

If I'm going to lose, I had better be from the very start of the match.

IMO, I'm fine playing if I enter and the team is 1 or 2 down in Huttball or we're not that far behind in Alderaan, etc.

If you punish people for leaving they'll just AFK the rest of the match where you could have me come in and try or them who block new players entering.

OP: Your list looks like an excuse for quitters.

Sorry, there's NO excuse.

When you queue, you agree to participate for 15 minutes with 15 other players. That's really not so much to ask for.

And if you quit like that every time in RL when you were losing NO ONE in real life would ever play games with you EVER.

Why is the expectation so lousy on-line?

But for most this has no comparison to RL. Even in gaming terms, they haven't given the team any incentives to W/L because they just don't record them. Ranked matches are coming soon which will help the problem, but until then I could say 'I win every match I play' or when I could be quitting all the time.

Better stats would be a vast improvement, and rewarding people for their individual contributions to playing the objective - healing the ball-carrier, scoring, etc.

Its a fail idea because the SWTOR client is !@#$%^ and crashes out to desktop fairly often (it also has memory leaks), and that's not their fault.

Its a fail idea because people's internet/ISP can drop, and that's not their fault.

Its a fail idea because the warzones themselves are buggy as hell, and that's not their fault.

If the game was designed so there was no way to possibly leave a warzone EXCEPT for clicking the "Exit Warzone" button, then you can start punishing players for quitting. Until then, you can't.

p.s. I can exploit that too, just Alt-F4 rather than click the button. Voila! No debuff.

p.p.s. If you detect alt-f4 and apply debuff, I can exploit that too, just alt-tab, Task Manager, Kill Process for swtor.

The only legit thing he said is that it would suck to D/C and be stuck with a deserter debuff. I had a D/C just this weekend.

Age of conan implemented something like this and it was very frustrating because bugs made it so that you could get the coward's shame debuff while still in a mini-game, or you could get it randomly after it finished, or you could have a random D/C and be stuck with it.

I'm fine with adding the debuff, just make sure it only applies when you actually quit a wz.

Of course if you only get hit with it when you D/C, that probably only affects the average player twice a week, so that is not too bad.

Edited by Vodrin

Make the daily require Warzone completions (completion being defined as any warzone in which the player has not left the warzone prior to the end and was in the warzone for at least 50% of the length).

Up the number from 3 to 5-6 and you have your solution to both the wins not counting problem and the people dropping problem.

D/C is a different issue in this game. As you could still rejoin the Mini-games in AoC if you reconnected after a D/C, if i'm not mistaken.

This game should give you a small window to get back into the game. At least some chance. I hate getting disconnected and knowing that all my hard work in the WZ was for nothing.

As for punishing people for leaving, I highly agree with punishing people that purposely leave the WZ. Add he debuff as a 30 min debuff to the account itself. Please do afk instead. I'd enjoy spending my time pulling you into the fire for afking. :)

Edited by undiess

Get rid of the leecehers who score 0,0,0,0,0 is a bigger priority. "Report AFKer" is needed. 15 second timed dialogue popup, randomly placed on the screen to fool botters, no response.. "kick"

Some disincentive to quit would also be nice... maybe the daily/weekly should be changed to "COMPLETE 6 Warzones" instead of "Win 3"

Ive literaly watched a player chain quit/rejoin untill they managed to pop on the "winning" side... of course them chain quittitng meant the "winners" had another 2 mins of 5v7before we finally got 8 players vs 8 players and they had a 4 goal advantage...

the game ended a 4/4 tie...and we held the ball at the end...so quitters dont always prosper:D

TBH i think a 5 minute timeout for leaving a warzone would suffice.

15 min debuff = good idea.

So that means I've got to wait 15 minutes because the spawn wouldn't let me leave or kicked me from the game?

When there are still THIS many glitches in the game it's an awful idea because even people like me who want to play a lot wouldn't stick around if I was being punished for BW's programming errors.

Many games when I haven't been able to leave spawn have been when we've been winning also so it's doubly frustrating.

Also, if I get thrown into a match and my team is down by 4 goals and we've still got 8-10 minutes to go then why SHOULD I stay? I didn't contribute to the losing effort but unless I stay and get farmed then I have to wait an extra 15 mins?

IMO, I'm fine playing if I enter and the team is 1 or 2 down in Huttball or we're not that far behind in Alderaan, etc.

If you punish people for leaving they'll just AFK the rest of the match where you could have me come in and try or them who block new players entering.

Casual does not mean NO expectations from players.

Everyone was a fresh 50 at some point, and BW has mad it easier to not get crushed, thankfully, by veteran 50s.

Even a fresh 50 however should be able to live up to the following:

- don't AFK- if RL happens, leave the WZ so someone else can enter. If leaving penalties are instituted, then a 15 minute penalty for someone in this case has no downside.

- please don't wear level 40 quest greens (no one should be that poor), even a casual can buy blue, hey even one orange would be better .

- follow the team on the map, i.e. follow the plan

If you can do the above, a casual player should do reasonably well. Saying someone is casual isn't an excuse and shouldn't mean that they cannot learn or work within a wz.