How Safe is SWTOR from Disney?

Blackavaar

Clone Wars: Canceled

Detours: On Hold

1313: On Hold

First Assault: On Hold

Apparently Disney has no problem breaching contracts and forking over some cash to make up for it.

Considering this "cleaning house" attitude going on how safe is SWTOR against the Disney broom?

Could this new push for the CM Packs be a last desperate effort to milk this cow for as much as they can before they are forced to pull the plug? Could the end be so near?

I must admit the storm clouds surrounding us look gloomy.

Any comment, CMs?

Correction: 1313 is currently On Hold but according to starwarsunderworld it may soon be canceled.

:cool:

Edited by Blackavaar

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1313: Canceled

Apparently Disney has no problem breaching contracts and forking over some cash to make up for it.

Considering this "cleaning house" attitude going on how safe is SWTOR against the Disney broom?

Could this new push for the CM Packs be a last desperate effort to milk this cow for as much as they can before they are forced to pull the plug? Could the end be so near?

Any comment, CMs?

Clone Wars was cancelled due to another upcoming related series being created. I think SWTOR is safe as long as it keeps making the big money it is.

1313: Canceled

Any comment, CMs?

I don't know if it's fair to blame it on Disney for the CW cancel. I think they were going to wind it down in another year or two at the most because of timeline issues. The purchase may have pushed it forward but there was never a guaranteed six or seven seasons before the purchase.

And as said above, the people who work on CW will be doing a new series. Probably Disney figured it would give them the easy out instead of moving CW from Cartoon Network to Disney XD.

Edited by Jacen_Starsolo

The license probably requires renewal at some point. There may even be an early termination clause.

But since Disney has to do nothing besides deposit a check to keep the money coming in, it seems unlikely they would arbitrarily decide to terminate. The only reason they might do so is if they thought somehow the game were damaging to their reputation of the reputation of the SW franchise.

Swtor's biggest risk is from ea/bw being too focused on the cm that they miss the fact they will be in the wrong time when the new movies start to arrive and Disney are definitely looking at how to tie in all media with the movies it would be rediculous to think otherwise.

As to that meaning much for swtor who knows, ea have a licence and a reasonable revenue stream to pay for it but a cold analysis says the movies get nothing from this game and the game gets nothing form the movies. Disney will have already flagged that as a big missed opportunity

1313: On Hold

Any comment, CMs?

Correction: 1313 is currently On Hold but according to starwarsunderworld it may soon be canceled.

Disney wont cancel SW:TOR unless they have something else coming out that will compete with it. And that wont happen for several years.

And as others have pointed out, EA has bought a license to use star wars in this game. That license will require renewal some time, but until then Disney cant do jack about this game without getting a pretty huge lawsuit on their hands (and as interesting as it would be to watch EA's lawyers duke it out with Disneys, i dont think that will happen).

Clone Wars is cancelled because of an upcoming new series.

1313 was set for launch pretty soon, and i think the postponing of its release is more of an internal problem than anything else. Although its possible that disney doesnt want it released because it might conflict with something in the new films.

Detours is on hold for the same reason Clone Wars was cancelled.

First Assault i have no clue about... but its still early in development so there could be all kinds of reasons for putting it on hold.

What exactly does "on hold" even mean in these cases? Such a vague term.

According to the articles I read on starwarsunderworld.com On Hold apprently means they are reviewing those games for content to make sure they mesh with the Disney image and/or delaying to change the format of the release (moving away from 3D releases).

Star Wars 1313 is being both developed and published by LucasArts, so there is no outside interference or contracts.

The Clone Wars cartoon is simply not being renewed for another season(they're waiting the contract out).

Star Wars Detours is being made by LucasFilm, so again, no outside contracts.

I can't seem to find any information on who is making Star Wars First Assault, though that implies they are not having an outside studio make it.

Only the Clone Wars cartoon situation is similar to what Disney could do to TOR, and we're probably looking at anywhere between 3-5 years before TOR comes up for renewal.

Star Wars 1313 is being both developed and published by LucasArts, so there is no outside interference or contracts.

The Clone Wars cartoon is simply not being renewed for another season(they're waiting the contract out).

Star Wars Detours is being made by LucasFilm, so again, no outside contracts.

I can't seem to find any information on who is making Star Wars First Assault, though that implies they are not having an outside studio make it.

Only the Clone Wars cartoon situation is similar to what Disney could do to TOR, and we're probably looking at anywhere between 3-5 years before TOR comes up for renewal.

There are number of other games I did not name that were also canceled. Most developed by outside companies.

Edited by Blackavaar

Disney bought star wars because back many years ago (2007 or 2008?) disney said they felt they had the women grabbed and children males grabbed but had no ability to get the 18-32 year old men so they had big plans to get interest from the 18-32 year old males interested in disney.

So what did they do? Bought Marvel. Made iron man/avengers. Crushed Star Trek (competition) and bought all of star wars.

A lot of people think disney is going to make star wars from children but if they did they would have wasted millions of dollars for nothing as they announced they wanted marvel/star wars so they could get 18-32 year old males.

So with this information they definitely want an MMO. If they were to break contract with BW not only would they lose the 2nd biggest MMO in the world they would also lose the last company choice.

Who else is there to go with at this point? Sony? No already done. Blizz? No they have WoW. Bethesda? No they have ESO. BW is their only choice is and BW has made a HUGE turnaround in several months.

Ontop of this Disney obviously has given BW permission to use their things such as tron (gree event) so they obviously have approval.

So I'd say there is no fear of BW being lost at all. Lest they want to anger the very crowd they are after.

Ontop of this Disney obviously has given BW permission to use their things such as tron (gree event) so they obviously have approval.

Adding glowing lines to a black outfit does not make it a Tron outfit. Just because people call it that doesn't make it so. There is no trademark violation and hence they do not need nor are they "obviously given" permission. You're making an assumption that has no basis in fact.

Edited by Blackavaar

Adding glowing lines to a black outfit does not make it a Tron outfit. Just because people call it that doesn't make it so. There is no trademark violation and hence they do not need nor are they "obviously given" permission. You're making an assumption that has no basis in fact.

Tron armor. Tron computer worlds (TFB and xeno). Tron disc (quest inside sacant.) Tron data transfers.

All just a month or so after disney (who owns tron btw) buys lucas arts (who owns star wars the old republic and that ea has to adhere to).

I have no problem with it as I <3 disney and <3 tron and <3 swtor. But there is no doubt that disney gave the O.K. on this one since there are so many different tron things. It's not like it's a problem though they are owned by the same company.

And for those who think if Disney didn't want to have SWTOR right now they'd have to wait for contract. Look at SWTOR and SWG. The reason SWTOR was in beta for so many years but got so little done is because it was in direct violation of the contract with SOE. SOE sued lucasarts and lucasarts won even though they were lawfully in the wrong merely because they own SW no matter what. SEO lost it's license a year+ early despite calling it a "mutual agreement" lol.

Tron armor. Tron computer worlds (TFB and xeno). Tron disc (quest inside sacant.) Tron data transfers.

Dude, it's not called Tron armor. They're not called Tron worlds and that is NOT a Tron disc. They are Gree. Gree. GREE!

Just because they bear a vague resemblance to Tron does not make them Tron!

:rolleyes:

Any comment, CMs?

I'm honestly not trying to insult you here or anything, but you've been counting down the days until your subscription expires for a few days now.

Why do you care if the end is near?

I'm honestly not trying to insult you here or anything, but you've been counting down the days until your subscription expires for a few days now.

Why do you care if the end is near?

Who said I cared?

No, really. I still love this game and I'm hoping the devs will come around and figure out a way to make the CM Rep fiasco right with the subscribers. Maybe fix some of the bugged crafting schematics we have? Maybe add some new crafting schematics for adaptive gear? Maybe give us a sign that any new piece of gear will be added directly to the game at all.

And I'm not counting down. I've only stated my time left when people asked why I don't just quit.

Edited by Blackavaar

Swtor's biggest risk is from ea/bw being too focused on the cm that they miss the fact they will be in the wrong time when the new movies start to arrive and Disney are definitely looking at how to tie in all media with the movies it would be rediculous to think otherwise.

As to that meaning much for swtor who knows, ea have a licence and a reasonable revenue stream to pay for it but a cold analysis says the movies get nothing from this game and the game gets nothing form the movies. Disney will have already flagged that as a big missed opportunity

Not really, SWG collapsed after the very first year it was live and by the time it died had under 5000 playing and it would be asinine to try and make another mmo in the same time period. If anything I have absolutely zero faith that the new movies will be any good. Also guarantee you that EA/Bioware has the license at the very minimum 15 years with 1000 clauses that lock it in.

Yeah, first off 1313 isn't cancelled, so where you got that information I couldn't guess.

Second, EA wouldn't let Disney near it's stuff.

This.

EA purchased the intellectual rights to the Star Wars franchise in building the game long before Disney came on the scene. There's nothing they can do about it.

All just a month or so after disney (who owns tron btw) buys lucas arts (who owns star wars the old republic and that ea has to adhere to).

I have no problem with it as I <3 disney and <3 tron and <3 swtor. But there is no doubt that disney gave the O.K. on this one since there are so many different tron things. It's not like it's a problem though they are owned by the same company.

And for those who think if Disney didn't want to have SWTOR right now they'd have to wait for contract. Look at SWTOR and SWG. The reason SWTOR was in beta for so many years but got so little done is because it was in direct violation of the contract with SOE. SOE sued lucasarts and lucasarts won even though they were lawfully in the wrong merely because they own SW no matter what. SEO lost it's license a year+ early despite calling it a "mutual agreement" lol.

the whole process of the gree event would have been worked on well before the disney deal. furthermore Bioware has shown a happy willingness to create homages to other media in their games (Kaon and Left 4 dead) so I don't see dieny's hand here. I just see a tron homage