What’s the latest info on Lightning Sorc?

TrixxieTriss

I don't think this is confirmed by others yet... so i'd take it with a grain of salt, especially the part where he says Mastery > Power. But he's right about the 2800 - 3100 crit range, AFAIK.

One of the docs on the theorycrafter discord has higher optimal crit values for some classes. I'm not a theorycrafter myself (in the sense that I don't create the theories, though I do consume them greedily :)), so I have no opinion on which is closer to right. Hopefully things will start to look clearer in a few weeks.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the 2800-3100 crit range is for "weapon damage" classes fyi. Anything with pure force attacks has a somewhat higher crit cap. That was the case in 5.x, so translating those numbers you would only start seeing diminishing return on sorc crit if you are like near 4000.

I think the 2800-3100 crit range is for "weapon damage" classes fyi. Anything with pure force attacks has a somewhat higher crit cap. That was the case in 5.x, so translating those numbers you would only start seeing diminishing return on sorc crit if you are like near 4000.

That's what I thought would be the case too, but I haven't seen any of the math people come to that conclusion yet.

That was the case for Lightning sorcs in 5.x because of the +5% alacrity built into the spec. This freed up 600+ points, so people had 2000+ crit stat on sorcs. I'm not sure about L'ing in 6.0 yet, but I think that L'ing is the only spec that can easily hit the 1.3s gcd threshold if they so desire. Alternately, you could run 2.5% alacrity and dump the rest into crit and power.

You're right though -- personally I use far more crit in pvp than I do in pve. Big crits = kills imo. But every class/spec is different. So take this kind of general info with a grain of salt.

And does anyone even use 110% accuracy in pvp? :D

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

On deception sins in meta matchs it is invaluable. getting that low slash on the sorc hlr ever 15 sec while suffering from -5% accuracy debuff and inquisitor natural 10% defence rating.

Yep, I think most melee weapon damage classes need some accuracy in pvp. Most ranged and all tech and force abilities don’t need them.

I’ve been using 5% on my Jugg, but it’s a work in progress and stats are constantly influx at the moment as I get the set bonus and try to get the right mods and enhancements

Edited by TrixxieTriss

For at least MM, Deception, and Carnage, running high accuracy used to be noticeably helpful in pvp IMO.

Those specific class specs seemingly have not changed much damage type wise, so I imagine it would still be worth running high accuracy in a lot of cases... especially in ranked where a miss can basically cost you a game at times

On deception sins in meta matchs it is invaluable. getting that low slash on the sorc hlr ever 15 sec while suffering from -5% accuracy debuff and inquisitor natural 10% defence rating.

I ran ~104% acc in 5.0. I'm not sure what to run now in pvp because of the larger accuracy stat pool. But 108% feels good for now -- and I don't have to change out a bunch of mods/left side for pvp vs pve raids this way. Just a stim and augment IIRC.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

• 5 weeks later...

Still playing around with my Sorc specs on alacrity and crit. I’m honestly at an impasse on what to run.

In some situations (WZ maps) the higher alacrity seems to help, but for raw damage, the higher Crit and lower alacrity produces some good numbers (but makes it harder to self heal in some situations).

Can any other lightning Sorc’s tell me what alacrity and crit they are running so I dont have to keep pulling enhancements out and also which Nimble 80 or 80r and Adapt 80 or Adapt 80r enhancements you run (or others to get the best numbers without wasting resources).

1. i dont know them off the top of my head, im not on atm.

2. there is none, it's actual trash. Like, three charges less than a single lightning strike costing 3 gcd's trash

3. Gathering Storm with Stormwatch

4. Force Sensitivity

5. It's pretty easy to get the 1.3 alacrity on sorc and pump up crit.

lmfao please ignore this ignorant post, clearly doesn't know how volt rush works

stormwatch is a meme get elemental convection and abuse double chain lightning proc w/ volt rush. don't listen to kids telling you "there is no use for volt rush" as lightning sorc

lmfao please ignore this ignorant post, clearly doesn't know how volt rush works

stormwatch is a meme get elemental convection and abuse double chain lightning proc w/ volt rush. don't listen to kids telling you "there is no use for volt rush" as lightning sorc

Can you explain that in more detail with regards to volt rush. How is it better and how do you put it into your rotation / priority casts!

Also, any feed back on what alacrity percentage I should be using with that set up.

If you're in a situation where cleave is actually warranted, then yes. But if you're using that all the time in ranked, most of your damage will just be meaningless fluff. Stormwatch is obviously superior for single target, which is much more commonly useful.

Also, any feed back on what alacrity percentage I should be using with that set up.

You've basically got three options:

1.4 gcd - 331: closest you can get is a r-20 enhancement

1.3 gcd - 1895: two 286 augs, three r-3s and an r-16

1.3 gcd (1.1 under polarity shift plus 1.3 gcd one gcd early) - 2128: eight 286 augs, r-1 (or implant), r-5, r-10

No one has worked it out exactly yet, but crit should be at about 3000. Naturally 0 accuracy for pvp.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

Can you explain that in more detail with regards to volt rush. How is it better and how do you put it into your rotation / priority casts!

Elemental Convention is the most mind numbingly dumb 14k dps of your life. With that tactical a lightning sorc's rotation consists of 3 abilities.

Thundering blast>chain lightning>volt rush>chain lightning>volt rush repeat.

If you're in a situation where cleave is actually warranted, then yes. But if you're using that all the time in ranked, most of your damage will just be meaningless fluff. Stormwatch is obviously superior for single target, which is much more commonly useful.

I don't understand how players can say that 14k cleave dps is "fluff damage." 14k dps from a player is singlehandidly more than hps capacity of 90% of the healers in the game. You try to play a game against a ling sorc that is cleaving on 3+ dps and call it "fluff" damage.

I don't understand how players can say that 14k cleave dps is "fluff damage." 14k dps from a player is singlehandidly more than hps capacity of 90% of the healers in the game. You try to play a game against a ling sorc that is cleaving on 3+ dps and call it "fluff" damage.

Not saying it doesn't have its place in certain situations. But I've done 12k a few times so far with stormwatch, virtually all single target. That's generally more valuable.

double chain lightning provides more damage, utility and mobility than the other garbage tacticals

if u think otherwise idk what to tell you

Not saying it doesn't have its place in certain situations. But I've done 12k a few times so far with stormwatch, virtually all single target. That's generally more valuable.

Don't forget that the Volt Rush + 2nd Chain Lightning is all instant so you're super mobile and it also means another root for the enemie(s) + affliction refresh.

I don't say it's always strictly better than Stormwatch like the other guy here, but I generally prefer Ele. Conv. for mentioned reasons aswell. It's more than just a damage boost.

Don't forget that the Volt Rush + 2nd Chain Lightning is all instant so you're super mobile and it also means another root for the enemie(s) + affliction refresh.

I don't say it's always strictly better than Stormwatch like the other guy here, but I generally prefer Ele. Conv. for mentioned reasons aswell. It's more than just a damage boost.

it is always better. im right and ur wrong

Stormwatch is a really good single target tactical. I would swap it on if you have no cleave in your match. But otherwise Ele Con is your go-to. The other thing you have to realize is that chain lightning spam will keep your enemies in a constant root and slow. It is the one of the most obnoxious thing to play against.

Let’s simplify this :

For single target situations I want storm watch build

For multi target situations I want the volt rush build

Until I can afford to get the new, higher end augments (I’m only using 228), what GCD should I aim for?

1.4 or 1.3? Without sacrificing too much damage or survivability.

Let’s simplify this :

For single target situations I want storm watch build

For multi target situations I want the volt rush build

Until I can afford to get the new, higher end augments (I’m only using 228), what GCD should I aim for?

1.4 or 1.3? Without sacrificing too much damage or survivability.

stop listening to the clowns

elemental convention is just more damage overall whether you are doing single target or aoeing

1 tactical requires u to cast too much while the other all ur damage is instant so unless ur afk, pve parsing on a dummy or ur one of those wannabe idiots that think pressing cc on a healer and not breaking it takes skill there is no reason to take stormwatch ever

go high alacrity on lightning and if ur really nerdy about it i forgot the exact number if you go a little bit above the 1.3gcd cap you get the most of out polarity

so let's say high alacrity is 10.385% for lightning if u go 11% i think u benefit more from polarity im sure u can find some nerdy post on the forums that explain this in detail but that's the gist of it

Edited by IamtherealKyle

stop listening to the clowns

elemental convention is just more damage overall whether you are doing single target or aoeing

1 tactical requires u to cast too much while the other all ur damage is instant so unless ur afk, pve parsing on a dummy or ur one of those wannabe idiots that think pressing cc on a healer and not breaking it takes skill there is no reason to take stormwatch ever

go high alacrity on lightning and if ur really nerdy about it i forgot the exact number if you go a little bit above the 1.3gcd cap you get the most of out polarity

so let's say high alacrity is 10.385% for lightning if u go 11% i think u benefit more from polarity im sure u can find some nerdy post on the forums that explain this in detail but that's the gist of it

You're just wrong. Elemental convection pales in comparison to stormwatch in single target situations. You're just making **** up.

You're just wrong. Elemental convection pales in comparison to stormwatch in single target situations. You're just making **** up.

i love it when forum warriors that have never actually done arenas in their lives tell me i'm wrong

buddy no one cares about the damage you do w/ stormwatch when you are parsing on a warzone dummy doing a full rotation with no one on you

elemental convention is more versatile and better in every way when it comes to pvp, get over it

"making **** up" btw https://i.imgur.com/MNJNzaj.png

Edited by IamtherealKyle

i love it when forum warriors that have never actually done arenas in their lives tell me i'm wrong

buddy no one cares about the damage you do w/ stormwatch when you are parsing on a warzone dummy doing a full rotation with no one on you

elemental convention is more versatile and better in every way when it comes to pvp, get over it

"making **** up" btw https://i.imgur.com/vyUTF1y.png

This is laughably ignorant on so many levels rofl. Don't let me stop you from getting that big bronze flair in season 12 I guess.

This is laughably ignorant on so many levels rofl. Don't let me stop you from getting that big bronze flair in season 12 I guess.

imaging calling someone ignorant and then using a flair in a dead game in 2019 as an insult :rak_02: LOL!

#ratingmattersin2019

digging urself into a deeper hole, stick to being a forum warrior and playing regs dude

Edited by IamtherealKyle