[Guide] Companion Crew Skill Bonuses -- Picking the Best Crew Skills for your Class

TheRealBowser

Forgive my ignorance, but when weighing which class/companion are best suited for a particular crewskill(s) shouldn't critical be of far more importance than efficiency? Especially in the case of crewskills that follow a non linear model of reverse engineering ie..arms/armor/synth

As I understand it, efficiency only effects the length of time it takes to produce/retrieve "X" item/material. Whereas +critical can potentially effect the actual return of the item or material. Now I realize that endgame patterns and missions take a fair bit of time, but the end result is the same.

It seems to me, if for example I need to send a crew member out to craft an epic pattern piece of armor that was going to take 2 hours to craft and I had a choice between getting the item back in 1h 45mins or +5 critical chance, personally I would prefer the crit chance as it potentially can effect the end result of the finial item.

One place I could potentially see the benefit of a +efficiency is a profession like Biochem where you would be more likely to mass produce stims and medpacs for your own consumption, but to that end the epic version of all those patterns are not consumed on use. So who knows....

Just my two cents...

I agree actually, I pick +5 crit when I can usually. My rating system is not based off of how good the crits are, otherwise there would be no point in the guide. I'd just make a post saying "Take this, take that, and take that" for each class.

+5 crit is not required to be successful at a crew skill, and in reality it's only +5% critical. When you think about it, it's only so good.

The rating system is based off of the strengths of the crew and their bonuses. I've thought about giving +5 crit extra points in the rating, but then it would get confusing. I still may yet and give +5 crit 4 or 5 points instead of 3, but for now, I am leaving it as it is.

My comments at the end, however, will recommend critical crew skills over efficiency ones, and I have specifically listed critical crafting skills in the summaries for your convenience.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man... I love this guide but now it makes me a bit sad that the Empire got screwed on crafting crit chance...

Reps get +5 on the 4 crafting skills that have a crit... Imps get +5 on 1 of them. Ouch.

Regardless, great guide and very helpful if not a little depressing :p

Well, keep in mind that crit is not the only thing that matters. Sith Inquisitors have amazing trade skills, as do agents. Bounty hunters are not bad either. They do not have +5 crit crafting skills but they still have great bonuses.

Biochem is better with crit, but it's not as big a bonus as it is for augment slot crafting. So the imperial agent is very competitive with the jedi knight, which does not even have a diplomacy bonus. And you can't go wrong with +5 crit on a mission skill!

The Bounty hunter has +15 slicing which is amazing for profiteering or even cybertech, giving you excellent options.

The inquisitor has above and beyond the best artifice bonuses in the game, it is staggering how good it is. The only way it could be better is if treasure hunting had +5 crit and archeology was +1 crit instead, but it doesn't matter.

The consular also does not have a crit bonus like the others do, but is a very mixed bag with a lot of interesting options to choose from. Still, I went with cybertech with mine since the bonuses leaned towards it, but artifice is also amazing, and synthweaving is perfectly viable, as is a number of other options, and we go back to what I was saying -- they are a mixed bag with lots of good choices.

So don't feel upset about the lack of +5 crit bonuses on imperial side, they still have a lot of goodies available, maybe even to the extent that they are better than the Republic!

Why are you assuming that buffs from multiple companions stack? It makes more sense that the only buffs that apply are the ones related to the companion you assign the task to. The companion does all the work, not you.

I was wondering something along these lines as well.

Companion X has +5 to Y skill. In order to get that, don't I need to send her/him to perform that skill in order to get the +5?

You've got some wrong info for Guss Tuno. I just recruited him last night.

Guss Tuno: +10 Underworld Trading Eff.; +2 Investigation Critical

Really? That's outstanding! I mean it's bad I have the info wrong, but investigation is infinitely better for smugglers, and will make armstech unbelievably good for them. I am going to confirm this right now.

Edit: Confirmed. Great!! What's even more interesting is that Guss also has Underworld Trading -- in addition to Corso! No other class in the game has double tradeskills.

Edited by TheRealBowser

I was wondering something along these lines as well.

Companion X has +5 to Y skill. In order to get that, don't I need to send her/him to perform that skill in order to get the +5?

I really don't understand the question.

Yes, you need to send out companions on said crew skill to obtain the bonus.

I really don't understand the question.

Yes, you need to send out companions on said crew skill to obtain the bonus.

Ok, the question is, Vette has the bonus to crit on treasure hunting, so there's no point on sending Quinn out to treasure hunt, because he doesn't have that bonus, correct?

If the efficiency bonus applies to time to complete, why doesn't it show Jeasa's time to complete an archaeology run as less than the other companions?

Ok, the question is, Vette has the bonus to crit on treasure hunting, so there's no point on sending Quinn out to treasure hunt, because he doesn't have that bonus, correct?

If the efficiency bonus applies to time to complete, why doesn't it show Jeasa's time to complete an archaeology run as less than the other companions?

For gathering crew skills I would still send my other companions. But for crafting (advanced/superior/blues/purples/augment slot) don't waste resources by using an companion who has not a crit bonus in it.

BTW I think it should be mentioned that the chance to crit is based on your current crew skill. At least for gathering crew skills (diplomacy, scavenging, etc.) the difficulty of a mission and thus your change to crit as the amount of mats returned is based on your current crew skill.

For example you do a diplomacy mission with a crew skill of 10. On success it will only return 1-2 mats. Do the same mission with a crew skill of 85(the mission now show up in gray) and will return for example 16 mats. Plus there is a fair change to crit and gather purple mats as well. Please note that gray missions won't increase your crew skill.

I assume for crafting a higher crew skill increase your change to crit as well.

The big tip here is not to do mission with the actual intend to gather resources, but instead focusing on maximizing your crew skill as fast and cheap as possible.

Once you crew skill become so high that missions become gray a single mission can yield more in return than doing 10 mission when it was still yellow.

Question 1: You get the crit as a bonus, so that character will get more of them. Yes, you could choose only to send Vette on missions, but I don't recommend it. It's more of a bonus because you have that option available in addition to your other characters. What I would suggest, rather, is to always send Vette out on Treasure hunting missions (not to craft or do archeology) if you plan on doing any at all at that time.

In the case of crafting, you likely won't do a great deal of important crafting, or crafting in general even, so crafting on one character is perfectly viable. If you're just crafting to reverse engineer, the critting doesn't matter much (it does a bit in Biochem's case). It doesn't matter if your green chestpiece has an augment slot if you're going to destroy it anyways.

However, if you are crafting items to sell, such as artifacts or rares, having an augment slot will be very important and thus, you may want to craft only on that character with the crit bonus. In the case of efficiency, it can help to craft faster but it won't provide better results, so it doesn't matter.

Question 2: Affection reduces crafting time substantially. Jaesa's bonus only reduces her crafting time by 5%, so if another character is 5000 or something and you just got Jaesa, chances are she will craft slower.

Edited by TheRealBowser

THere seems to be some misunderstanding about crit bonuses. I'm an artificer (250) at this point.

Nobody in my crew has a crit bonus. BUT I have had Cedrax crit on focii (focusses), generators (offhand items) that are artifact and allow augments.

So just because you don't have a crew member with the actual crit bonus, doesn't mean it can't happen. It does. I suppose it's utterly random.

It usually happens if requesting a blue item, and then you'll get an "overkill" or whatever, and then he'll turn out a superior with a augment slot. Matter of fact,the ship droid critted once on a generator as well, and he has no bonuses.

So it is not impossible or unheard of, to crit in Artificing. I sold my superior items at the GTN so I don't have screenshot proof, but I was as surprised as anyone it happened.

Question 2: Affection reduces crafting time substantially. Jaesa's bonus only reduces her crafting time by 5%, so if another character is 5000 or something and you just got Jaesa, chances are she will craft slower.

Note, my question wasn't specific to crafting items, but asking about the efficiency bonus in general. Specifically, relating to Jasea's Archaeology (gathering skill) efficiency bonus on missions.

I don't see this being the case. I click through Archaeology on each companion (I have 4+the droid, now) and every single one has the exact same time on each mission. From Pierce with 200 affection, Jasea (bonus to eff) with just over 2k affection, to Vette with only 3k eff.

So, from my perspective, either the bonuses of the individual companions is global for all, or there's a bug somewhere.

Edited by Phelgon

THere seems to be some misunderstanding about crit bonuses. I'm an artificer (250) at this point.

Nobody in my crew has a crit bonus. BUT I have had Cedrax crit on focii (focusses), generators (offhand items) that are artifact and allow augments.

So just because you don't have a crew member with the actual crit bonus, doesn't mean it can't happen. It does. I suppose it's utterly random.

It usually happens if requesting a blue item, and then you'll get an "overkill" or whatever, and then he'll turn out a superior with a augment slot. Matter of fact,the ship droid critted once on a generator as well, and he has no bonuses.

So it is not impossible or unheard of, to crit in Artificing. I sold my superior items at the GTN so I don't have screenshot proof, but I was as surprised as anyone it happened.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

Crit bonus is just that -- a bonus. I don't recall where I said that companions do not get an innate chance to crit. If I am not mistaken, increased affection even increases critical chance.

Artifice can crit on offhand items, and I imagine cybertech can critical on droid parts. But the majority of items made by these crew skills (item modifications, etc) can't crit, making crit bonuses much less useful on them and thus, why they do not have any companions that have critical bonuses for them.

Edited by TheRealBowser

Note, my question wasn't specific to crafting items, but asking about the efficiency bonus in general. Specifically, relating to Jasea's Archaeology (gathering skill) efficiency bonus on missions.

I don't see this being the case. I click through Archaeology on each companion (I have 4+the droid, now) and every single one has the exact same time on each mission. From Pierce with 200 affection, Jasea (bonus to eff) with just over 2k affection, to Vette with only 3k eff.

So, from my perspective, either the bonuses of the individual companions is global for all, or there's a bug somewhere.

I don't know how it works for you, but efficiency works that way for me and I have specifically tested it. I don't think affection and efficiency effects time needed to craft, I am completely sure it reduces the time to complete these tasks.

I don't know how it works for you, but efficiency works that way for me and I have specifically tested it. I don't think affection and efficiency effects time needed to craft, I am completely sure it reduces the time to complete these tasks.

Ok, time to craft, but not gathering missions?

I can provide screen shots, I hit "n", I click on the Archaeology "button" on my first companion, Vette, and all 4 or 5 missions have a certain time for each one. I click on the drop down to select a different companion, and they are all the exact same.

I haven't looked at crafting, because I don't have anyone with a + eff to a crafting skill that I have.

I can provide screen shots if what I'm experiencing is a bug or not.

I can provide screen shots, I hit "n", I click on the Archaeology "button" on my first companion, Vette, and all 4 or 5 missions have a certain time for each one. I click on the drop down to select a different companion, and they are all the exact same.

I haven't looked at crafting, because I don't have anyone with a + eff to a crafting skill that I have.

Ok, so, I see the issue is just the fact that the "mission time" displayed when you choose the companion and mission doesn't reflect the actual mission time required.

So, should I submit I bug report for this? After all, the times are supposed to align.

Oh I get what you are saying now. No, the time actually required to complete is not the same as the time listed for the item/mission. For instance, a maxed out affection Khem Val might have it say that it will take 10 minutes to make an artifice item, but it will be less than 7 or even 6 minutes when you start crafting.

Ok, so, I see the issue is just the fact that the "mission time" displayed when you choose the companion and mission doesn't reflect the actual mission time required.

So, should I submit I bug report for this? After all, the times are supposed to align.

It's probably intentional, at least in the sense that Bioware isn't going to be changing it any time soon. I'd prefer they did but it doesn't really matter all that much to me, personally. Either way I doubt it's a bug, just something they haven't considered/changed yet.

Edited by TheRealBowser

Critical Crafting Skills:

Artifice: None.

Synthweaving: Jedi Knight (+5)

Armstech: Smuggler (+5)

Armormech: Trooper (+5)

Cybertech: None.

Biochem: Jedi Knight (+5)

Critical Crafting Skills:

Artifice: None.

Synthweaving: Sith Warrior (+5)

Armstech: Bounty Hunter (+1)

Armormech: Imperial Agent (+2)

Cybertech: None.

Biochem: Bounty Hunter (+2)

Personally, I think crit trumps all when it comes to crafting skills.

The Republic has an advantage here.

The Empire needs a buff.

QQ

P.S. Great Post :D

Edited by RadEZorack

Personally, I think crit trumps all when it comes to crafting skills.

P.S. Great Post :D

I fully agree.

The importance of crafting your own items, versus just picking them up via commendations/rewards, is the critical version.

Given this, I value the amount of a critical manufacturing bonus twice that of any efficiency bonus. After all, I can always wait a bit longer to finish a task. I can't, however, improve my probablility of scoring a critical result on a crafting attempt, except through my companion's inherent critical bonus.

Also, the value of the Sith Warrior's companion bonii comes in conjunction with other characters. For those running alts, e.g., the Sith Warrior serves as an excellent materials collector for a Sith Inquisitor Artificer, and in return, the Inquisitor perfectly backs up the Synthweaving skill on a Warrior.

And yes, superb post. Great work here!

Edited by Def_Zep

I agree, and the jump between +2 and +5, is, itself, a pretty big deal. Even when imps have a critter, assuming you want to specifically run up a class just for access to that crew member, they don't have it at as high a quality. Smuggler, trooper, and jedi knight dominate the options for armor, biochem, and arms.

This is that old routine of the game bonus question where you offer a player +30% xp, or a 1% extra damage. It sounds like you want the xp while you level, but you're going to be cap someday, and the efficiency improvement won't matter to you anymore--all you will want is access to better stats which you can't get any other way than RNG and luck.

Maybe they should just put crit into companion opinion of you and give them base efficiency improvements. They simply classify a companion as 'talented: cybertech' or whatever. That way they can do a behind-the-scenes calculation to crit, regardless (which they can also balance whenever they feel like universally across companions), and give a uniform speed bonus in the chosen discipline.

So for example: 4X; talented (Cybertech). His crafting comes out 15% faster, from word go, but as you get him more affectionate, behind the scenes he gains an extra cybertech crit bonus. Which helps him make awesome droid parts. Which nobody cares about and won't buy on the GM. But good for him--he should have a hobby.

:jawa:

I agree, and the jump between +2 and +5, is, itself, a pretty big deal. Even when imps have a critter, assuming you want to specifically run up a class just for access to that crew member, they don't have it at as high a quality. Smuggler, trooper, and jedi knight dominate the options for armor, biochem, and arms.

This is that old routine of the game bonus question where you offer a player +30% xp, or a 1% extra damage. It sounds like you want the xp while you level, but you're going to be cap someday, and the efficiency improvement won't matter to you anymore--all you will want is access to better stats which you can't get any other way than RNG and luck.

Maybe they should just put crit into companion opinion of you and give them base efficiency improvements. They simply classify a companion as 'talented: cybertech' or whatever. That way they can do a behind-the-scenes calculation to crit, regardless (which they can also balance whenever they feel like universally across companions), and give a uniform speed bonus in the chosen discipline.

So for example: 4X; talented (Cybertech). His crafting comes out 15% faster, from word go, but as you get him more affectionate, behind the scenes he gains an extra cybertech crit bonus. Which helps him make awesome droid parts. Which nobody cares about and won't buy on the GM. But good for him--he should have a hobby.

:jawa:

This isn't a bad suggestion, but I think it should still be at different levels if this was done. Say, 4X only giving a +5% efficiency and +1% crit for cybertech, while giving a +15% efficiency and +5 crit for scavenging. Not that I dislike the current system, but I could work with your idea too.

Yes i have to tell you the same as many many other people before.

Awesome guide. Exactly what i searched for :)

Really thinking about changing the crew skills of my highest level toon ...a Consular.

Her crafting and missions skills just were not that much fun, but your guide just help me with a decision that i hope will be more fun.

Thx for the time you invested into this guide. Sticky well earned Sir!

Hi, First - AWESOME GUIDE!!! :D

Love the guide! But now I have a litle problem, I thinking of swichting from Biochem to armsmech on my Trooper(Commando), But will it be worth it in the endgame? will I have use of it?

And if I want to play alot of PvP will it be so smart to change from reuseble adreanalins to PvE gear?? Or can you make PvP gear at max skill in armsmech? :o

Hope someone helps me out with my toughts and so... ^^