Does this class do what I want?

_Darkstar

I don't seem to be able to find any recent guides so forgive me if I am asking an obvious question, but I am looking for information on how the different DPS specs actually play (PvE), and which are the key powers they use.

I like playing at range, so that means Powertech is out I think because it has a 10m max range? After playing an Assassin I have realised that 10m is nothing :( and moving around annoys me.

So that leaves Mercenary, but I am not sure on the differences between Arsenal and Pyrotech. I like the name Pyrotech, and the idea of setting lots of things on fire, but are the main powers all hard casts aside from Railshot? Arsenal has Tracer MIssile, which I know is hard cast, but is everything else mainly instant?

Does one rely on procs over rotations? Are there any particular advantages to each tree?

If anyone can link some good up to date guides it would be appreciated as well :)

I don't seem to be able to find any recent guides so forgive me if I am asking an obvious question, but I am looking for information on how the different DPS specs actually play (PvE), and which are the key powers they use.

I like playing at range, so that means Powertech is out I think because it has a 10m max range? After playing an Assassin I have realised that 10m is nothing :( and moving around annoys me.

So that leaves Mercenary, but I am not sure on the differences between Arsenal and Pyrotech. I like the name Pyrotech, and the idea of setting lots of things on fire, but are the main powers all hard casts aside from Railshot? Arsenal has Tracer MIssile, which I know is hard cast, but is everything else mainly instant?

Does one rely on procs over rotations? Are there any particular advantages to each tree?

If anyone can link some good up to date guides it would be appreciated as well :)

Since you want to stay at range, be stationary and plan on doing PvE content, the Mercenary Advanced Class (AC) is what you want.

It is a "hard cast" class. Arsenal more so than Pyro, but even Pyro needs to "hard cast".

Pyro has a more "proc driven" game-play. Everything you do is built around trying to proc a free Rail Shot (RS). Most of your Pyro abilities are instant *but* you proc a free RS using 2 hard casts. Having said that, you do have a rotation that will optimize heat usage and proc generation.

Arsenal has a more "rotation driven" game-play. Your rotation will initially debuff your target so they take more damage, and then your rotation will keep the target debuffed. Having said that, you do have a proc mechanic that will reset the cooldown on Unload and increase the damage of the next Unload. All your abilities are "hard cast".

Most of the guides are still pretty much valid for PvE even if they are old. The rotation hasn't really changed. There have been some tweaks here and there. (If you were more concerned with PvP, then that would be a different matter.)

Having said all of the above, if you are up to it, I would actually suggest trying both ACs out (at least until about level 20).

Having said all of the above, if you are up to it, I would actually suggest trying both ACs out (at least until about level 20).

My problem with that is lack of patience (I don't think I enjoy the game enough, but my gf likes it so I am stuck). I am likely to have given up with the class altogether by 20 if I haven't found a style I enjoy, so I am trying to make sure I know what I will like before I get annoyed lol.

Thank you for your answer though. It looks like Pyro is the tree I will look at from the start.

Ok so google isn't my friend clearly, searching for 'swtor mercenary pyrotech pve build' gets me a few links to Noxic (That my expereience with an Assassin has got me mistrusting) and a thread on here from last April. Not great.

I am having a problem planning a build myself because there are some talents that are (Or seem) good, and others where I am trying to find the least useless.

This is what I have come up with 0/7/31, but I have a few questions:

1 - Where should I put the last 3 points? Arsenal: Stabilisers or Bodyguard: Hired Muscle? Or somewhere else?

2 - I currently have 3 points in Pyrotech: Integrated Cardio Package and 1 in Pyrotech: Gyroscopic Alignnment Jets, but I feel they are wasted. However the other options feel even more usless to me. Am I missing something?

3 - If our crit gets high enough, is it worth putting extra points towards getting Bodyguard: Critical Reaction?

1 - Where should I put the last 3 points? Arsenal: Stabilisers or Bodyguard: Hired Muscle? Or somewhere else?

2 - I currently have 3 points in Pyrotech: Integrated Cardio Package and 1 in Pyrotech: Gyroscopic Alignnment Jets, but I feel they are wasted. However the other options feel even more usless to me. Am I missing something?

3 - If our crit gets high enough, is it worth putting extra points towards getting Bodyguard: Critical Reaction?

Yeah well remember you're only searching half of the available possibilities if you search for an imperial class only.

A republic commando is exactly the same thing.

1)

If you spec for crit you must stop casting when being hit and use your rocket punch, stun/cc/knockback as well as your TD and ED creatively. Good practice for pvp.

If you spec for pushback resistance you can keep casting under fire which has certain advantages in time critical PVE fights, argument here is that if you're going to sit and spam, arsenal is better at that.

If free to cast in a fight (you are not taking damage and getting casts pushed back) pushback resistance is irrelevant. Very important you spec this correctly for pve as it's a distinct disadvantage if you go into an ops fight where you ARE taking damage and you have no pushback resistance.

In PVP if you're taking damage you're in range of interrupts, stuns and CC so pushback resistance is no real loss and the correct play is to stop casting, use your utility skills against them, kite, use dots and instants until you have enough freedom to cast again.

2)

No, they are quite wasted really, we have 4 points to **** up against the wall for the most part.

We can spec for 1% extra health per point (whoopdeefrickingdoo)

A 30% slow for 2 seconds (oh please no you're spoiling us)

A guaranteed heat vent if molested (spec this for pvp)

A pathetic defence increase, shorter stealth scan and longer stealth spotting range (slightly usable in pvp)

For PVE I tend to go for 3% health and 1 in Infrared Sensors

For PVP either 2% health and GAJ or GAJ and IS, I'm too disgusted with the pathetic slow on CGC to spec it anymore.

3)

No it's not. You have 4% fixed alacrity from the pyro tree. To get the other alacrity talent you need 5 points in the bottom tier to access it. So you need to put 7 points in bodyguard and that is insane.

Thank you, I never thought about looking for Republic class builds.

I didn't think my option 3 was worth it, but no harm in asking :)

I have only hit 19 so far but I am really enjoying it, I love that I have 5 AoE's already! I am still learning the heat mechanic because it seems that on single target fights I couldn't build heat even if I tried, but on AoE fights I tend to get carried away and heat goes right up in seconds. The only downside is that I can't seem to bind my area powers to Shift+Click like I used to, but I noticed those binds no longer work on my Sorc so I assume that has been removed from the game :(

I am duoing with my GF on a DPS Sith Warrior (Not sure which spec) at the moment and although she always goes in first I have noticed that I take a lot of freeze grenades to the face as soon as I open fire, I also have to kite a lot of champion level mobs, so at the moment I plan on speccing this way:

3/7/31