Datacrons in bad locations

Freekedoutfish

Before I start... I have no issue with the Datacron hunting, or jumping accross roof tops, or cliff faces trying to reach Datacrons. I love that style of gameplay.

My issue is with those Datacrons which are in absolutely, non-challenge related - but frustrating - locations, or those which ask you to endure stupid time consuming aspects.

Two examples on Tatooine...

The Datacron located on the other side of an Imperial camp, which means the Republic have no choice but to move through the camp to get it. A camp filled with lvl50 npcs who will kill you on sight... and you can't stealth through.

There is no challenge involved because the only option a republic player has is to de-robe, get naked and charge in accepting death.

Die, wait a few seconds, respawn, die again, wait about a minute, respawn, wait about 5 minutes, die again and then wait about 10 minutes and finally respawn on the other side.

The entire process is tedious and can take a LONG time to just move 10 feet. There is no challenge at all. Perhaps at level 50 (as im currently lvl 30) I could fight my way through. But Datacrons are designed (I believe) to be discovered as you level up, not as end game content. Allowing you to gain the experience of finding them.

The second example is the wonderful balloon...

....*bangs head off desk*

The balloon is easy enough to get into, and its easy enough to reach the destination and the two datacrons in princple. But thats assuming you don't miss jump and miss the top of the object which its on... and thats pretty easy to do.

I wouldn't mind that so much, if it didn't mean having to ride back accross a large amount of desert, wait another 30 - 40 minutes for the balloon to come around again, and another 30 minutes for it to reach the destination.

Again there is no challenge to it and you are wasting a MASSIVE chunk of time doing that non-challenging, yet very easy to mess-up activity.

Like I say... I love the Datacron system... but if this is an example of what to expect on future worlds... its making me re-think whether they are worth finding.

I've tried twice to get the datacrons from riding the balloon. Both times after about 20 minutes of riding the balloon it despawns causing me to fall to the ground. All in all about 2.5 hours of my life wasted. I sent a ticket (2 weeks ago) and haven't heard a word. Total ********.

1. You can go through the outlaw den next to the republic base North of the datacron and get to it without going anywhere near the Empire base.

2. The 2 sandcrawler ones are tricky. The first is easy to get on top, but the easy way to grab the second is to press jump and then hold in the direction you want to move and you inch off the edge. Alternatively, if you are a knight force leap up to someone if they are up there.

But yes, the balloon and the boxes on Hoth do take a pointless amount of time.

I have just about had it with datacrons. The little bonus they give is not worth the time/frustration to get them. I am not super-maro and I don’t have the time going after something that requires me to make a series of precision moves to accomplish.

A keyboard is not a game controller; it does not support use of keys in combination (except shift, control, and alt). Depending on how your keyboard works, you can be holding down “W” then press “space”. Either the first key, “W”, is the key that counts or the last key is the key that counts, not both. My keyboard, it is the first key. Pressing the space bar while holding any other key, only the key being held counts. Net result, I can’t jump forward.

Oh, I can’t get onto the balloon thing.

I have just about had it with datacrons. The little bonus they give is not worth the time/frustration to get them. I am not super-maro and I don’t have the time going after something that requires me to make a series of precision moves to accomplish.

A keyboard is not a game controller; it does not support use of keys in combination (except shift, control, and alt). Depending on how your keyboard works, you can be holding down “W” then press “space”. Either the first key, “W”, is the key that counts or the last key is the key that counts, not both. My keyboard, it is the first key. Pressing the space bar while holding any other key, only the key being held counts. Net result, I can’t jump forward.

I agree - there were a couple times I had to walk away because of the frustration.

I kept falling off the ledge for the strength datacron following the balloon ride. Lucky me, there was a trooper in the group with me who kindly "dueled" me, so that he could yank me back up to where he remained at top of the crawler using a harpoon shot. After about 3-4 tries, I got it. Trick is to inch backwards, facing the crawler wall itself, and press "W" or forward as you're falling.

I'll have to remember the force leap ploy, too.

There's always multiple tricks to getting the things. Tried grabbing the one at the dam in Alderaan using the magnetic gun and couldn't do it. Read somewhere it's bugged. Figured there had to be a way otherwise, though. And finally just jumped onto the little ledge down below the Cron and carefully jumped up the ladder along the side. Got it first try using that method. Funny.

I just have a blast figuring the things out, though. Good fun.

Honestly having gotten every datacron except for the probe droid one on Hoth, I think the vast majority of them are fine. The only complaints I have are that Rakata Power Cubes can take far longer to acquire than they should and that falling straight down is not easy to do(damn you Jawa Balloon Str+ datacron!). Other than that though, most don't take too long once you get used to the jump controls.

There's always multiple tricks to getting the things. Tried grabbing the one at the dam in Alderaan using the magnetic gun and couldn't do it. Read somewhere it's bugged. Figured there had to be a way otherwise, though. And finally just jumped onto the little ledge down below the Cron and carefully jumped up the ladder along the side. Got it first try using that method. Funny.

I just have a blast figuring the things out, though. Good fun.

Not always. There is another MGSS one on Corellia which you have to use the MGSS for. There are a couple of tricks that can help make the MGSS working(jumping while firing and firing multiple times). I really hope they fix the MGSS soemtime though.

Not always. There is another MGSS one on Corellia which you have to use the MGSS for. There are a couple of tricks that can help make the MGSS working(jumping while firing and firing multiple times). I really hope they fix the MGSS soemtime though.

Oh, is that the +10 stat datacron? I want so bad to nab it. But so many of my friends feel like the OP and don't want to bother after the things. I'm trying so hard to find 3 other people to do it with me.

sounds like you need a new keyboard i have no problem jumping forwards or backwards or running forward and strafing left or right at the same time so yeah sounds like you have a piece of S*** keyboard i switch between my saitek eclipse II or my stock wireless hp keyboard and they work just fine i can push any sequence of keys and they will work

Edited by bendo

These are mandated and if 2 or 3 of them are ridiculously difficult I don't really mind. I understand its a time sink and can be frusterating, I think these are aimed for the 100%ers.

If it were easier, then what ever. It if stays the same that is fine as well. Some stuff that is really difficult than be really rewarding even if the actual reward is minuet

Oh, is that the +10 stat datacron? I want so bad to nab it. But so many of my friends feel like the OP and don't want to bother after the things. I'm trying so hard to find 3 other people to do it with me.

No the +10 is on the fleets. I'm waiting for some guild members tog et up in level before I try for it. Hopefully they will fix the MGSS issues by then.

The Corellia one is for a green matrix shard.

I agree they need to make the balloon move faster. I didn't even bother doing it. The stat was not for my class and it was probably 30 min our for me to get on it. I would like to read the lore in my codax.. but I wont waste 30 min of my life waiting for some dumb ballon.. ill google it!

Before I start... I have no issue with the Datacron hunting, or jumping accross roof tops, or cliff faces trying to reach Datacrons. I love that style of gameplay.

My issue is with those Datacrons which are in absolutely, non-challenge related - but frustrating - locations, or those which ask you to endure stupid time consuming aspects.

Two examples on Tatooine...

The Datacron located on the other side of an Imperial camp, which means the Republic have no choice but to move through the camp to get it. A camp filled with lvl50 npcs who will kill you on sight... and you can't stealth through.

There is no challenge involved because the only option a republic player has is to de-robe, get naked and charge in accepting death.

Die, wait a few seconds, respawn, die again, wait about a minute, respawn, wait about 5 minutes, die again and then wait about 10 minutes and finally respawn on the other side.

The entire process is tedious and can take a LONG time to just move 10 feet. There is no challenge at all. Perhaps at level 50 (as im currently lvl 30) I could fight my way through. But Datacrons are designed (I believe) to be discovered as you level up, not as end game content. Allowing you to gain the experience of finding them.

The second example is the wonderful balloon...

....*bangs head off desk*

The balloon is easy enough to get into, and its easy enough to reach the destination and the two datacrons in princple. But thats assuming you don't miss jump and miss the top of the object which its on... and thats pretty easy to do.

I wouldn't mind that so much, if it didn't mean having to ride back accross a large amount of desert, wait another 30 - 40 minutes for the balloon to come around again, and another 30 minutes for it to reach the destination.

Again there is no challenge to it and you are wasting a MASSIVE chunk of time doing that non-challenging, yet very easy to mess-up activity.

Like I say... I love the Datacron system... but if this is an example of what to expect on future worlds... its making me re-think whether they are worth finding.

• 4 months later...
The Red Data cron is on Ord Mantel, You head to manatte point then before you go onto island go left around a ways not far. Its guarded by a 1k npc which is easy to deal with. Its the red chard so go for it Edited by slywoe
lol