Adaptive Weapons

Aelther

I really like this idea, but I think it'd have to be limited to be implement-able.

For example, if you added an off-hand lightsaber to a Guardian his animations would have to be changed.

But if you created an adaptive blaster rifle, a sniper could use it as a sniper rifle, a commando could use it as a cannon, and a bounty hunter or smuggler could use it as a pistol without much animation issue.

An adaptive pistol or cannon could work the same way.

For the classes that use dual pistols, I suppose they could make it invisible like the smuggler's shotgun or agent's knife; still give the stats and whatnot, but essentially ignore it visually when an adaptive rifle or cannon is equipped, but that may be an animation issue like the guardian.

Edited by Primarch_PWnD

its not that hard and not out of reach if everquest a game on a very limited engine can do it why couldn't starwars , I loved that aspect of that game that and mounted combat with the mounts adding to stats depending on which one you chose and even later they implemented skinable mounts so you could ride your class mount and change its appearance, so weapons shouldn't be to far a reach here Edited by Threesixoe
bad spelling

I could find Pvp'ers not liking the idea because it'd be difficult to tell which class you're playing until you actually start fighting. You wouldn't be able to prepare as well. But I still think it's an interesting idea.

Well, that's what the advanced class icons they have above players' heads now are for. Glad they added those in. Now they can get away with giving people more customization options with their appearance... ahem, I mean gear, while not breaking their "visual identification" rule.

Indeed, the initial excuse pre-release for locking weapon types to classes was so the PvPers would know what they're facing. Class icons negated that excuse. The other one was the "iconic"ness rubbish. Now that, for example, Sages can run around looking like Powertechs with cartel armours, that excuse doesn't really work either as there's nothing iconic that.

I'm not sure allowing every weapon to every class would work like a charm, but there's certainly enough available animations to allow melee weapons (assassin's Maul could use a juggernaut's Impale animation if using a 1H lightsaber for instance) for the most part. Blaster rifles/sniper rifles should mostly work with each other I think... as for cannons and pistols I imagine that would require a bit more work.

• 1 month later...
I think the weapon restrictions as they are work well to identify classes at a glance, rather than a bh using an autocannon and troopers using pistols i think u should be able to augment the appearance of the weapons we are restricted to to some degree, add silencers, scopes, extended barrels larger, magazine clips, etc. To make our weapons more unique to our character.

And if Marauder/Sentinel equips a double-saber, it does the same damage as it would with two sabers.

The problem would be Force-users using blasters/Non-Force users using lightsabers. That would be a bit tricky.

I've always felt commando is more akin to using rifles, but autocannons are cool. This would help me get over the fact that as a commando I have to use autocannons.

Other than that, /sign. This is an epic idea and should be implemented

Edited by Bird_of_Thunder

• 3 weeks later...

As a contribution, I do think some classes could use weapon diversity. My first thought would be a pistol as backup for a force user, instead of a focus or generator, only usable when the force levels are low (or in stealth mode to hide the source).

Second weapons could have a penalty by type--say 1 strength per weapon level.

Maybe just a new weapon, like a compound bow for the stealth builds.

But then, my highest is only a 37. I keep restarting before they top out. Someday, I will find out what the higher levels hold.

As a contribution, I do think some classes could use weapon diversity. My first thought would be a pistol as backup for a force user, instead of a focus or generator, only usable when the force levels are low (or in stealth mode to hide the source).

The majority of MMO players when faced with an inferior secondary weapon and a superior primary weapon... will only use the superior weapon for their class. Even in an FPS shooter where you have a main weapon and a backup weapon... you only use the backup if the main is out of ammo... and there is no ammo in this MMO.

also, Vanguards using a pistol wouldn't make sense because I'm not sure where a lot of their abilities would come from.

yeah, well, Vanguards ... they get years and years of training, the most expensive armor the engineers can create and access to the best of weapons... so they can whack people in the head with it. With the wrong end no less.

Apparently all that training can not explain to them which end to point at the enemy.

But if you created an adaptive blaster rifle, a sniper could use it as a sniper rifle, a commando could use it as a cannon, and a bounty hunter or smuggler could use it as a pistol without much animation issue.

An adaptive pistol or cannon could work the same way.

There are a fair number of trooper combat animations that would create 'unfortunate implications' when used with a pistol instead of a cannon. (Think of the 'your schwartz is bigger than mine' scene from Spaceballs ...)

its not that hard and not out of reach if everquest a game on a very limited engine can do it why couldn't starwars , I loved that aspect of that game that and mounted combat with the mounts adding to stats depending on which one you chose and even later they implemented skinable mounts so you could ride your class mount and change its appearance, so weapons shouldn't be to far a reach here

Oh look we have a game designer and programmer all rolled into one.

But, if your not which your comment implies that you are, then plz don't judge the difficulty of a job.

But then, my highest is only a 37. I keep restarting before they top out. Someday, I will find out what the higher levels hold.

Go watch episode 3 plz.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Gonna necro this thread, since this thread pretty much pointed out what I've always wanted for my Medic: the ability to use blaster pistol.

Hell, I've been using blaster rifles for over a year and counting now hoping for something like this to happen sooner.

I wonder if this is ever going to happen.

Edited by LaniAkavir