User Interface improvements: What's your wishlist?

I hate were the chat window is and would love to move it.

The chat window can already be moved, just not through the interface editor. Just left click on the first tab and drag the window wherever you want. This was the only part of the UI that could be changed before the interface editor was added. Making that movable when you are in edit mode would be nice though.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't found the ability to do that. When I open all of the action bars, I get three vertical to either side, the inner most of which I deactivate, and two horizontal on the bottom of the screen.

When you are in Interface Editor mode (click the little "+" icon on your quickbar) select one of the vertical hotbars on the side and in the options you can resize it to horizontal and drag it wherever you want it.

I really wish that SWTOR would add visible mission rewards! You know, like the ability to see what your experience gains, credits, and items will be from completing a mission!

I really hope this happens with Game Update 2.1.1 too! :rak_09:

-eric

Is that a hint or a tease? :p Yes, that would be fantastic!

My #1 request is mouse-over healing. Having to have a person or frame selected is always awkward, every now and then I find out I'm healing myself when I really needed to cast a heal on someone else.

#2 A gear set save option, and a full UI save button, including buttons and keybinds.

#3 The ability to resize or remove other people's debuffs on a target. I did a 16 man the other night, and all the debuffs on the boss nearly stacked to the top of my screen! Plus, there were multiple Lethality Snipers and I was having a hard time seeing which debuffs were mine and which belonged to other people.

Edited by chuixupu

Is that a hint or a tease? :p Yes, that would be fantastic!

My #1 request is mouse-over healing. Having to have a person or frame selected is always awkward, every now and then I find out I'm healing myself when I really needed to cast a heal on someone else.

#2 A gear set save option, and a full UI save button, including buttons and keybinds.

#3 The ability to resize or remove other people's debuffs on a target. I did a 16 man the other night, and all the debuffs on the boss nearly stacked to the top of my screen! Plus, there were multiple Lethality Snipers and I was having a hard time seeing which debuffs were mine and which belonged to other people.

I used to be against adding in mouse-over healing -- solely because It became a crutch for many people in WoW -- but I have now seen an EXCELLENT reason for having it.

I need a target of target of target if I can't have mouse-over healing. I'd like to be able to have a boss targeted, and use OPS frames to target for healing. It helps to be able to see spells the boss is casting, and who he is targeting, etc.

I'm fairly satisfied with the UI and Interface Builder, with a handful of notable exceptions.

1. Buff / Debuff tracking

I would like to see better buff/debuff tracking with options in Interface Builder for Ops Frames and for target/player frames. I would appreciate an option to separate or collapse buffs/debuffs that get in the way most of the time, in order to better view the ones that matter.

The one mass of buffs and one mass of debuffs make it difficult to meaningfully track them using the current UI. Increasing the size via Operations frames was a very welcome addition, but you can only increase the size of all buffs or all debuffs, which means in order to view Kolto Probe on Operations Frames, you also have to make every buff on each player large as well.

I would also like a visual indicator on which buffs/debuffs are mine, and which belong to other players (for example: whose Kolto Probe is which).

Things that don't matter very much in real-time combat: the 4 cllass buffs, In-combat revive timer on all players, stim, boss immunity, redundant debuffs (example: additional 20% Armor reduction from multiple players), other players' DoTs that have no synergy interactions, etc.

Things that matter: Kolto Probe ticks, relic procs, Tactical Advantage, Flame Engine procs, DoTs, Static Barrier lockouts, reflect, immunity mechanics (force shroud), etc.

2. The Crew Skill crafting window

The current Crew Skill crafting window is unwieldy once you have a lot of recipes, and suffers from useability and performance problems. It takes a very long time to load when you open it, because it loads all of the recipes at once. On my main it locks up my player interaction for a few full seconds while it loads. In addition, each section being one long list is difficult to efficiently scroll through to find what you need.

I would like to see it broken down into sections (kind of like how the Abilities page is organized into groups), and only load a section you choose. Long lists (such as all Armorings, etc) could be further broken down into level-ranges or stats where appropriate to improve performance. I never need to see all of my Armoring recipes when I am looking for an individual earpiece. Also, a tracking mechanism for learned and unlearned recipes obtained via REing crafted gear would be appreciated, as well as grouping the schematics learned by RE into a single item entry.

3. Long, uncollapsed lists

Long lists in GUI windows that do not save collapsed state take a long time to find anything and are annoying to use. The Achievements menu and the Collections menu are both large lists (without search), and they are fully expanded each time you open the window, requiring a lot of scrolling to find the section that has what you are looking for. Collapsing the interface into sections by default, or saving a player's collapsed state would be a great change to improve the useability of these interfaces.

Oooh, and to go along with the crafting thing, any way we could see what an alt can craft from another character would be cool. So I don't have to log into one of several characters that can make a mod to find out which one has the purple recipe for that particular mod.

The two most critical to me:

• A snap to grid option in the editor
  • All items getting the options to flip vert/horz. Currently this option exists on about half the things. Or item X might flip one way but not the other.
  • Exportable keybinds. It's a small issue that comes up once per character, but it's still a headache to have to go through and re-map all my bars over and over. I can save the layout, why not the binds too?

Less so:

• Color editing
  • More toolbar shape options (I want 4 keys on top and 8 on the bottom all in one toolbar)

Also everything Buckets mentioned.

Edited by Dbuntu

Since cooldown and proc watching is so important to combat rotations/priorities, I would like to see flashing or glowing rings around abilitiy icon in your hotbar whose procs are active. Examples:

Balance Sage gets a proc for an instant Mind Crush or Disturbance. Mind Crush and Disturbance "light up" with a glowing ring around their icons on your hotbar until you use it or the proc fades.

Combat Sentinel gets a proc for a Dispatch useable at any health of the target. Dispatch lights up on your hotbar.

Warning boxes — Many warning boxes still lack a toggle for "OMG, I know!!!", such as:

• I know that listing an item on the GTN will prevent it being sold back to the vendor for a refund
  • I know that mailing an item to my alt will prevent it being sold back to the vendor for a refund
  • I know that putting mods in an item will bind it to me

This can make large-scale actions that trigger a warning box feel annoying, with a lot of repetitive "OK" clicking.

I lol'ed at the way you phrased the "no more plz" checkbox, but yes -- the binding ones in particular are quite frustrating.

#1 want: saveable/exportable/whatever keybinds, so that I don't have to keep redoing them every time I start a new character.

Other stuff:

* GTN - would love a sort by unit price. This might kill the way some sellers manipulate the listings, but, well.

* UI Editor - someone mentioned having snap-to functionality in the editor, and I would also love that. Would be excellent for lining up hotbars, party member frames, casting bars, etc.

* UI Editor - Not quite sure how best to explain this, but: sometimes in the editor, it can be hard to tell where/how best to place things because the actual elements aren't there, just happy little rectangles. Something like a toggle to preview those boxes filled with actual stuff might be helpful, even if it's dumb stuff like hotbars filled with your key-1 skill, or Satele Shan as the target in a target portrait, or whatnot.

* saving talent specs would be awesome, but this likely falls into its own category outside the realm of this thread...

I really wish that SWTOR would add visible mission rewards! You know, like the ability to see what your experience gains, credits, and items will be from completing a mission!

-eric

You, sir, might have just become my favorite community manager of all time. :cool:

I used to be against adding in mouse-over healing -- solely because It became a crutch for many people in WoW -- but I have now seen an EXCELLENT reason for having it.

It's really not a crutch by itself. But having that combined with a million healing addons and macros can be a crutch.

- Raidframes with mouseover healing functions and fully costumisable buff and debuff options

- better dot-tracking options

and some fluff options like disabling the default art, so you get a more minimalistic view!

• Make the "Dressing Room" window scalable in the interface editor
  • Make the Operations window expand out from a center point, instead of pushing the window left as it expands. Example: 2 operations frames are center in a line between the two groups. When four groups are in the op, it expands an additional group to the right, and an additional group to the left, so the center stays in the same place
  • Allow us to apply dyes to individual pieces in the "Dressing Room." I.E. I want to apply one dye to my gloves, and a different dye to my boots. This would probably be a complex change with the dressing room, but with the weird way dyes are actually visually represented, a single unify to chestpiece color system often doesn't work well.
  • Make the focus target modifier work properly, it often targets me, even when I have the modifier button pressed down. And I do mean OFTEN. I usually have to release the modifier button and repress it to get the focus modifier to work properly.
  • After every combat ends (the little red eye goes away), have a tiny report show up in the system (yellow) text, that shows your average DPS and HPS (Damage per second & Healing per second), for that combat sequence.
  • Have your debuffs/buffs on enemies/players somehow separated from the swarm, so you can tell when they're down. Especially important in large groups and for attacks that rely on debuff effects, such as wounding shots
  • Perhaps not a UI issue, but a hood up/down toggle would be downright FANTASTIC.
  • Have an option for your helmet to show while in combat, but not show while not in combat. So when my bounty hunter is kicking behind, her helmet is on, but when she's running around not in combat, she has it off.
  • Perhaps not UI related, but add some more Miraluka masks please. These don't unify to chest piece (there's an idea, make them unify to chest piece), so it's kind of important to have different options to go with the outfits.
  • A global channel creation system, one that can be seen by both sides, please please please. Our guild plays both sides, and it would be easier to get groups together and communicate with our friends if this was possible.

Edited by VesperFrost

- A better chat system. The current one is terrible. Well maybe that's harsh. It's functional... just barely. It's certainly the worst of any game I've spent significant time in. I imagine it's modeled after WOW's which must be why there aren't more complaints about it. Just once I wish Bioware would look at games other than WOW for inspiration. Both Guild Wars 2 and Age of Conan have much better chat systems. Basic things like full copy/paste functionality and more right click options on people's names for replies, etc.

I'd be happy if I just didn't lose control of my character when entering the chat input bar. Seriously, if I click back on the game screen, the input bar should be deactivated and full control of my character returned like every other online game I play. No need to hit enter or spam the chat window with "wwwwdddsssssaaa's." No wonder so many people don't call for help in warzones. Maybe it would even help the chat lag.

- More functional Guild List. Okay we actually got the ability awhile back to invite guild members to groups. Could we please get the ability to send tells to guildmates with a mouseclick rather than having to put guildmates on our friends list... please? This is basic stuff in most other games.

- Account wide hotkey binds. Other than the dread of doing 55 lvls of the same 2 quests repeatedly, having to rebind keys for every new character is one of the primary reasons I don't bother starting alts anymore.

As far as MMO default UIs go, I think SWTOR is actually pretty awesome. Between the basic design and the Interface Editor, I'm impressed with how comfortable I've been able to make my UI in a game with no AddOns.

Interface Editor

• Toggle to make frames "snap" to each other's edges in editing mode, for easier alignment/positioning of elements (such as the Group frames)

Skill Tree

• Ability to save pre-set Skill Tree layouts (using Field Respec at later levels to switch roles for FPs/Ops/WZs involves a lot of tedious OMG-I-know-this-by-heart clicking to reconstruct familiar builds)

Agreed! I would pay money for these 2 features. I think they would make the UI much more transparent to the user and easier to edit. A good UI should not get in the user's way.

I disagree. It's very well-made, in my opinion, conveying most of the information you need with surprising clarity. Especially compared to eg, WoW's UI which seems basically designed to make new players fail without extensive modification.

I think it's a "curse" of MMO UIs that the default will always feel a little clunky or extraneous, but I'm honestly very happy with SWTOR's approach. It just needs some tweaking here and there. WoW's default, on the other hand, needs to be shelled down to the bedrock and rebuilt as something remotely comprehensible.

Sorry I blurted out and sounded rude, but as you can tell from this thread, I quite passionately disagree with you on this subject.

The crafting UI needs an ability to hide/unhide each recipe so you can filter your list to leave one out of the display that you rarely use.

This is a great idea! I like to have as many schematics as possible, but it sure does clutter up the list! Beyond this, I'd like to see either the default crafting view be set to show the item's minimum level requirement. Already, that level requirement (when selected) is colored to reflect the crafting difficulty, which really makes the default "dot" view pointless.

Perhaps a quicker way to filter the list of schematics to put like items together overall. Filter by greens, blues, oranges, etc., you name it, let's be able to filter for it. Like the GTN, multi-layer filtering would be very nice.....

-eric

+1000 on that Eric.